Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Sharelunker Interview #14426431 07/21/22 05:46 PM
TylersReelFishing Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Howdy y’all!
I had the opportunity to sit down with Tom Lang, who is the director of the Texas Freshwater Fisheries Center and oversees the Sharelunker Program. We got to talk about the history of the program, the failures that we are all aware of (and some that you might not be), and how they are using science to advance their methods of creating better bass fishing for the state of Texas. I hope you enjoy, and feel free to send this to someone who might be skeptical of the program!
Sharelunker Interview Link

Yes, I am one of them "YouTubers"
Aggie Class of 2019

Check out my Youtube channel at
http://www.youtube.com/user/TylersReelFishing
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Sharelunker Interview [Re: TylersReelFishing] #14426542 07/21/22 07:17 PM
J
Jpurdue Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Great stuff Tyler. You are super talented my friend. Great interview, great questions, you were both very well spoken... the whole production was top notch. I felt like I was pretty darn educated on the program, and I learned a few things from the video. I'm excited about the future of bass fishing in Texas.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Sharelunker Interview [Re: TylersReelFishing] #14426640 07/21/22 08:44 PM
W
Walker61 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
Really enjoyed this. Awesome job

Re: Sharelunker Interview [Re: TylersReelFishing] #14426712 07/21/22 09:59 PM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Tyler, I’m offended! You do know that some of on here are old enough and were all ready adults through the start and development of the whole SAL program? We already know all this! JK🤪! Good stuff and thanks for posting it. Very good factual info….especially for you “younguns” who weren’t around(or old enough to care) during its inception!

Re: Sharelunker Interview [Re: TylersReelFishing] #14427026 07/22/22 05:16 AM
A
Allen Bass Fisher Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
A
Very good interview. Thanks!

Re: Sharelunker Interview [Re: TylersReelFishing] #14427196 07/22/22 01:27 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy
Great video!

Re: Sharelunker Interview [Re: TylersReelFishing] #14427713 07/22/22 10:37 PM
Top Waters Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I don't understand how someone could watch this and not think this is a good program. Great video.

GO -------> fish

"Spit in his mouth, Son. It will make him grow bigger faster"
My late grandfather Bill Chapman (and former lake patrolman at Lake Tyler, TX)
I have spent the past 50 years spitting in their mouths...increasing the size of Texas fish with every spit!

P.B. 9.4 lbs - Lake Fork
2018 Skeeter ZX250 Yamaha 250 SHO
Re: Sharelunker Interview [Re: TylersReelFishing] #14428305 07/23/22 06:39 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
They got the right dude feeding them

#MFGA
Re: Sharelunker Interview [Re: Top Waters] #14428349 07/23/22 07:42 PM
S
salex Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted by Top Waters
I don't understand how someone could watch this and not think this is a good program. Great video.

Exactly. I'm shocked when I read the volume distain and hate so many on the TFF have for TPWD and the Share a Lunker Program. Texas is the envy of every other state and what our great state does to improve bass fishing. What's ironic is I have every incentive to put down the program as poor public lake fishing would be better for our private lake business. But, I think we have the best public lakes and inland fisheries folks in the United States.

Steve Alexander
salexander@privatewaterfishing.com
www.privatewaterfishing.com

Re: Sharelunker Interview [Re: salex] #14428560 07/24/22 01:00 AM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by salex

Exactly. I'm shocked when I read the volume distain and hate so many on the TFF have for TPWD and the Share a Lunker Program. Texas is the envy of every other state and what our great state does to improve bass fishing. What's ironic is I have every incentive to put down the program as poor public lake fishing would be better for our private lake business. But, I think we have the best public lakes and inland fisheries folks in the United States.

If they did not spray and kill grass and stock grass carp the opinions of TPWD would be much higher. IMO

#MFGA
Re: Sharelunker Interview [Re: Douglas J] #14428612 07/24/22 03:34 AM
Top Waters Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by Douglas J

If they did not spray and kill grass and stock grass carp the opinions of TPWD would be much higher. IMO

So a bunch of well-meaning country rednecks know more about how to manage Texas waters and fisheries that the folks that study and specialize in it? I wish Tyler had asked him about the spraying, because I bet you would be surprised by his answers. But who knows, maybe they are really trying to ruin the Texas fisheries by spraying the grass and releasing grass carp and it is all just a sham. Maybe Tyler asked this question offline and he can fill us in on their answers.

GO -------> fish

"Spit in his mouth, Son. It will make him grow bigger faster"
My late grandfather Bill Chapman (and former lake patrolman at Lake Tyler, TX)
I have spent the past 50 years spitting in their mouths...increasing the size of Texas fish with every spit!

P.B. 9.4 lbs - Lake Fork
2018 Skeeter ZX250 Yamaha 250 SHO
Re: Sharelunker Interview [Re: TylersReelFishing] #14428619 07/24/22 03:55 AM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by Douglas J

So a bunch of well-meaning country rednecks know more about how to manage Texas waters and fisheries that the folks that study and specialize in it? I wish Tyler had asked him about the spraying, because I bet you would be surprised by his answers. But who knows, maybe they are really trying to ruin the Texas fisheries by spraying the grass and releasing grass carp and it is all just a sham. Maybe Tyler asked this question offline and he can fill us in on their answers.

So everyone is a redneck that doesn't like grass being killed?

You stated, "I don't understand how someone could watch this and not think this is a good program.", and I simply gave my opinion of why so many seem to be put out by TPWD. Whether they are all rednecks, I am not sure.

There have been some self admitted screw ups on spraying and carp stockings by the TPWD.

The stocking program and the spraying program are completely separate. Ken Smith has a good series of videos on the spraying.

#MFGA
Re: Sharelunker Interview [Re: salex] #14428869 07/24/22 05:17 PM
Ken A. Offline
Groovy
Groovy

Agreed.

All of us here in Texas are SPOILED with the public lake fishing we enjoy. Ask any Elite pro that traveles around the country and they will all tell you Texas is the place to be for Big Bags of Big Bass.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide