Forums59
Topics1,039,271
Posts13,962,002
Members144,197
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: HOA in Denton County bans section 8 renters [Re: Uncle Zeek] #14397154 06/18/22 02:05 AM
P
patriot07 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek
Huh. I could see a new HOA establish "no section 8 rentals" in the bylaws when first formed. But once there are section 8 tenants already there, it would be really interesting to see how things unfold. I suppose one outcome might be a court saying "no new section 8 rentals, but existing tenants may stay".

Most HOAs have provisions to revise/amend the restrictions with a certain percentage of approving residents (ours was 75% when we lived in an HOA neighborhood). So you can ban whatever you want and they can enforce per the guidelines.

Honestly I don't have a problem with it. Those people have no skin in the game and often don't take care of anything and can absolutely impact property values. If the homeowners vote to ban it, then who are we to tell them they can't?

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: HOA in Denton County bans section 8 renters [Re: patriot07] #14397158 06/18/22 02:10 AM
G
grandbassslayer Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
G
Originally Posted by patriot07
Huh. I could see a new HOA establish "no section 8 rentals" in the bylaws when first formed. But once there are section 8 tenants already there, it would be really interesting to see how things unfold. I suppose one outcome might be a court saying "no new section 8 rentals, but existing tenants may stay".

Most HOAs have provisions to revise/amend the restrictions with a certain percentage of approving residents (ours was 75% when we lived in an HOA neighborhood). So you can ban whatever you want and they can enforce per the guidelines.

Honestly I don't have a problem with it. Those people have no skin in the game and often don't take care of anything and can absolutely impact property values. If the homeowners vote to ban it, then who are we to tell them they can't?

Doesn’t the landlord have skin in the game? If the hoa has rules on property upkeep they’d have to follow all the rules.

Re: HOA in Denton County bans section 8 renters [Re: grandbassslayer] #14397164 06/18/22 02:15 AM
P
patriot07 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
Originally Posted by grandbassslayer

Doesn’t the landlord have skin in the game? If the hoa has rules on property upkeep they’d have to follow all the rules.

I'm a landlord. We own 3 rental properties. If they pay rent and don't destroy property, I don't really care if they keep the place looking good or not. I want the place to look like carp to keep my taxes low. Keeping it looking nice isn't even on my list of "wants" for renters.

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: HOA in Denton County bans section 8 renters [Re: Stump jumper] #14397175 06/18/22 02:34 AM
S
Stump jumper Online Content OP
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by HasBen
Originally Posted by Hard Rain
[quote=Stump jumper]Providence Village has banned section 8 renters and is going to fine landlords. They have also limited landlords to one rental property. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the courts. I think this particular HOA has gone too far.

Do you rent to Section 8 renters?
If it’s a property that the owner is willing to take sec 8 vouchers on then let’s be serious- it’s not a crème de la creme neighborhood anyways. Nothing wrong with that, just saying you live in a lower rent type hood then you can’t expect it to be super nice.

I Googled it. Appears to be in Little Elm. Judging by the roof tops looks like the typical Denton/Collin county newer neighborhood. I would think at today's prices mid $100Ks. I would not expect there to be a lot of section 8 rentals in that neighborhood. If there are I venture to say we have some real problems with who qualifies for section 8 housing.

2200 Bay Champ/200 Mercury Optimax
2017 Tundra TSS 4x4 Crewmax 5.7L
Re: HOA in Denton County bans section 8 renters [Re: Stump jumper] #14397179 06/18/22 02:39 AM
ShinerInTx Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: HOA in Denton County bans section 8 renters [Re: patriot07] #14397181 06/18/22 02:42 AM
B
Beer Money Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B

I'm a landlord. We own 3 rental properties. If they pay rent and don't destroy property, I don't really care if they keep the place looking good or not. I want the place to look like carp to keep my taxes low. Keeping it looking nice isn't even on my list of "wants" for renters.

Are your properties in Caddo Mills?

Re: HOA in Denton County bans section 8 renters [Re: Stump jumper] #14397196 06/18/22 03:12 AM
D
Duke 22 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
D
In Wichita Falls the town is suffering from Urban Decay, by taking predominately W.A.S.P. neighborhoods and creating section 8 complexes all around them. The opposite of gentrification for sure, and turning once nice neighborhoods into crime and drug infested slums.

Re: HOA in Denton County bans section 8 renters [Re: Stump jumper] #14397214 06/18/22 03:23 AM
T
TR176 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Stump jumper
[quote=Stump jumper]Providence Village has banned section 8 renters and is going to fine landlords. They have also limited landlords to one rental property. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in the courts. I think this particular HOA has gone too far.

If it’s a property that the owner is willing to take sec 8 vouchers on then let’s be serious- it’s not a crème de la creme neighborhood anyways. Nothing wrong with that, just saying you live in a lower rent type hood then you can’t expect it to be super nice.

I Googled it. Appears to be in Little Elm. Judging by the roof tops looks like the typical Denton/Collin county newer neighborhood. I would think at today's prices mid $100Ks. I would not expect there to be a lot of section 8 rentals in that neighborhood. If there are I venture to say we have some real problems with who qualifies for section 8 housing.

This NB has a 40 acre lake, a water feature, and is in a good school district. They cost more than that when new maybe about 10-15 years ago.

Re: HOA in Denton County bans section 8 renters [Re: Stump jumper] #14397296 06/18/22 12:42 PM
O
Oldrabbit Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
O
Originally Posted by Stump jumper

If Section 8 Housing gets someone into a $500K or more house, we have a HUGE problem. The middle class is paying for people to live in nicer homes than they can afford if this is true.

Re: HOA in Denton County bans section 8 renters [Re: Stump jumper] #14397347 06/18/22 01:51 PM
Hard Rain Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
^^^Correct, we are becoming more and more of an entitlement society every day. Too many folks do not want to work that are very able bodied just lazy. I would guess probably half the folks on SSD could hold some kind of job but sure it is easier just to draw a check at taxpayer expense. All the free stimulus money, all the fraud with the PPE loans, there is just too many folks that have zero work ethic and want a free ride.

It is all about self respect on the flip side I worked with a very nice Hispanic lady who was in a terrible car crash fully paralyzed from the waist down. She got some assistance to get a handicapped van but kept working full time for many years rather than get on SSD. Finally her health got so bad the company pretty much told her she needed to retire and helped her apply and finally get SSD. Her daily struggles were hurtful to witness but she kept working as long as she possible could. Too bad more don’t have that kind of self respect and instead just have their hand out.

Re: HOA in Denton County bans section 8 renters [Re: Stump jumper] #14397352 06/18/22 02:01 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
I dont know how it works as I dont do section 8 in my rentals. I have been approached as have a couple of my buddies that own nice properties. Evidently a person can get section 8, for whatever that amount is, 900 I believe but I'm not sure, then the tenant pay the difference. So they can rent a house that costs 2400, landlord gets 900 from the section 8 and the rest from the tenant. My attitude is if you can afford to pay the difference you should be living in a smaller house and not getting the assistance. I wont do it for numerous reasons with my houses. In fact if the day comes I needed to rent to section 8 people that would be the day I sell my rental properties. Life is too short to deal with certain types.......

Re: HOA in Denton County bans section 8 renters [Re: WAWI] #14397366 06/18/22 02:26 PM
Uncle Zeek Offline
aka "Dad"
aka "Dad"
Originally Posted by WAWI
I dont know how it works as I dont do section 8 in my rentals. I have been approached as have a couple of my buddies that own nice properties. Evidently a person can get section 8, for whatever that amount is, 900 I believe but I'm not sure, then the tenant pay the difference. So they can rent a house that costs 2400, landlord gets 900 from the section 8 and the rest from the tenant. My attitude is if you can afford to pay the difference you should be living in a smaller house and not getting the assistance. I wont do it for numerous reasons with my houses. In fact if the day comes I needed to rent to section 8 people that would be the day I sell my rental properties. Life is too short to deal with certain types.......

Here's the payment standards for Denton Housing. Basically, this is the maximum rent that can be charged by the landlord. Section 8 pays whatever voucher amount the recipient is entitled to, and the tenant pays the rest. The number of bedrooms is based on the number of people in the household. So a 'single' mother with multiple children can get a pretty large voucher (unmarried baby daddy will often be hanging around, but is not declared on the voucher or the lease).

https://dentonhousingauthority.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Payment-Standards-10-1-21.pdf

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate planning & tax attorney
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: HOA in Denton County bans section 8 renters [Re: Stump jumper] #14397367 06/18/22 02:26 PM
Uncle Zeek Offline
aka "Dad"
aka "Dad"

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate planning & tax attorney
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: HOA in Denton County bans section 8 renters [Re: Uncle Zeek] #14397374 06/18/22 02:42 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W

Here's the payment standards for Denton Housing. Basically, this is the maximum rent that can be charged by the landlord. Section 8 pays whatever voucher amount the recipient is entitled to, and the tenant pays the rest. The number of bedrooms is based on the number of people in the household. So a 'single' mother with multiple children can get a pretty large voucher (unmarried baby daddy will often be hanging around, but is not declared on the voucher or the lease).

https://dentonhousingauthority.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/Payment-Standards-10-1-21.pdf

Lol, those are some big numbers

Re: HOA in Denton County bans section 8 renters [Re: WAWI] #14397375 06/18/22 02:44 PM
Hard Rain Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru

Lol, those are some big numbers

Our tax dollars at work…no pun intended hammer

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide