texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,888
Posts13,954,874
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
First time to the Gulf #14387607 06/07/22 07:49 PM
J
Jonathan5 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
J
I've freshwater fished all my life, never saltwater. I'm going to go experiment and explore a few times here in July. I've read tons of posts trying to figure out where to start but it gets a bit overwhelming, so many different suggestions. Coming from just north of Austin, where would be a good place to start? I do not have a boat so I will fish from shore/ wade, try some pier/jetty. I do not have a particular species I am after (I would like to catch fish that I can eat). Basically, where would you send a rookie to get started?
Thanks!

Re: First time to the Gulf [Re: Jonathan5] #14387738 06/07/22 10:31 PM
U
uncle_bagster Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
U
I would wade out in the surf and catch some whiting.

Re: First time to the Gulf [Re: Jonathan5] #14387832 06/08/22 12:50 AM
T
tablefish Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
Jonathan, I live in Georgetown and go to Galveston A LOT. They have a lot of good piers there, rock jetties on the Sea Wall Blvd, and also a bridge area that's popular when you first come in that's popular. I usually choose Galveston, because there's more options for a lot of good food and drinks there, and also a lot of Air BnB rentals and reasonable motels.

Red Snapper season just started so that's what I would be going after. $30.00 a lb right now at HEB lol

I just got an RV, so I think I'm going to start checking out Matagorda and their free camping beaches. But with gas prices, I've been sticking to my little Prius that I bought just to run back and forth to the coast lol

Last edited by tablefish; 06/08/22 12:51 AM.
Re: First time to the Gulf [Re: Jonathan5] #14387842 06/08/22 01:15 AM
P
Pat Goff Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
Wind dictates your choices. On a calm flat morning, catching big sea run trout is stupid easy. They'll hit any bass lure you own, topwaters, rattle traps, assassins, all are quality offerings.

If you get up and the wind's pumping into the surf, then direct your attention to the bay. Wading is your best effort, again, most of your bass lures will work on trout and redfish just fine.

Now there where? Port O' Connor/Seadrift are your closest access, but being boatless is a tough sled around here, very limited to what you can do and where you can go. Little further south in Rockport/Fulton, there's a lot more accessible water you can park and fish. Concentrate on grassy areas with potholes. Don't be afraid to cast into knee deep water, bay fish are not bass.

But if you get up and you see the beachfront looking like THIS, go gettem. Make sure you have a long stringer, shoes and long pants.

[Linked Image]

Pat Goff
Seadrift TX
[Linked Image]
Re: First time to the Gulf [Re: Pat Goff] #14387879 06/08/22 02:16 AM
J
Jonathan5 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
J
Thank you for the responses! I've heard whiting are tasty, I'd love to get into some of them.
I hear you on the gas prices tablefish! I'm out of Leander and will be driving the car down to save on gas. I haven't looked into Galveston much, but I will.
Thanks for the info Pat. I've looked into Fulton Fishing Pier as a possible starting point. But using my bass gear for some sea trout, that sounds fun!
I'm excited, two more weeks and I'll get it started. Thanks for the info!

Re: First time to the Gulf [Re: Jonathan5] #14388013 06/08/22 10:03 AM
T
tablefish Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
I think your going to wind up hooked, literally. LOL I use to live down there and I miss the lifestyle so much. When I retire, I'll be back down there. Enjoy it man.

Re: First time to the Gulf [Re: Jonathan5] #14388110 06/08/22 01:06 PM
P
Pat Goff Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
Trout at night under lights is about as easy as it gets. You'll catch a zillion shorts, but you're getting bit.

Pat Goff
Seadrift TX
[Linked Image]
Re: First time to the Gulf [Re: Jonathan5] #14388195 06/08/22 02:30 PM
I
IslandJim Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I
The newly re-built Fulton Pier is nice. If you're a veteran, it's free. Goose Island State Park Pier is also really good at night. Innumerable wadefish spots in Rockport/ Aransas Pass, and the jetties at Port Aransas and Packery Channel are always fishy. Good luck. IslandJim

I'm an Eighth Day Adventist. On the Eighth Day, God went fishing!
Re: First time to the Gulf [Re: Jonathan5] #14391417 06/12/22 10:12 AM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
[Linked Image]

The surf can be the least effort option, it’s just not always possible to wade with the size of the waves. I took a beating for these three trout the previous Saturday, but only because of a storm in the gulf sent some good sized waves across the gulf our way. If you can work a walk the dog style topwater like a skitterwalk, that’s a good searching lure about anywhere in the saltwater. Here in Brazoria county, most the beaches are drive on and a short walk down the sand from the vehicle with an easy walk in wade to the first bar off the beach is about as low effort as fishing gets.

There’s a lot of ways to fish the surf, live shrimp, live croakers, live mullet, various cut bait, various lures, various flies. The real potential for a fish every cast is there, but so are trips that are a bust. The surf is a constantly changing environment.

I’m not a giant lover of jetty fishing only because there’s typically a lot of people to share it with. Then landing fish on a jetty is an art. Slipping on rocks is a real possibility. Surfside and Quintana beaches both have jetties.

There’s a surprisingly good number of decent bank fishing spots, look for parks and easements on water. Heck, the old river in Freeport has some big trout and reds accessible from the shoreline at times and at least a mile of public park.

Christmas and Drum bay have some walk in wade fishing.

A simple kayak will open up tons more water. But, it takes some getting used to fish from a kayak. A kayak can also get you into some trouble with areas that might be too difficult or dangerous to navigate.

The biggest deal is studying the water, coming to understand structure, water movement, fish sign, and presentation. One reason the surf can be so terrific is there’s a lot of shallow structure, water movement, forage, and ambush opportunities. Predator fish try to stack the odds in their favor and look for the easy meal.

Re: First time to the Gulf [Re: Jonathan5] #14391861 06/12/22 08:27 PM
W
Whistlebritches Offline
Angler
Angler
W
I've been down several times over the years and always spend at least one day on a guided trip,usually inland.An offshore is definitely a blast but more expensive.Either way one day can really open your eyes as to fishing tactics.

On Time,On Target,Never Quit
Re: First time to the Gulf [Re: Jonathan5] #14394263 06/15/22 01:48 AM
M
malibu6501 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
M
Lots of good info here. If you hit the surf, use a fish finding rig and fish it like a worm rig. Reel down and pull up. Whiting are good eating fresh.

Re: First time to the Gulf [Re: Jonathan5] #14397896 06/19/22 10:16 AM
O
Osbornfishing Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
I would try Port Aransas. There are several good places to fish from the shore, although many of the public piers were damaged in the last hurricane and had not been repaired last time I was there. There is still shore fishing even if the piers are not repaired. Roberts Point Park is located from the ferry to the harbor entrance. You can fish along the shore or off the pier if it is open. There is a public pier and shore fishing at Cline’s Landing at the end of N Station St. and a pier and shore fishing along Port St. (locally called Charlie’s Pasture), west of the ferry. You can also fish the south jetty and the wall adjacent to it. If none of that works you can cross the ferry and head toward Aransas Pass. There is shore and pier fishing off that road too. If you go to the jetty be very careful on the wet rocks. They are like ice. Let us know how you do.

You might also consider a trip out of Dolphindocks. My wife and I have done very well with them.

[Linked Image]

Re: First time to the Gulf [Re: Jonathan5] #14398740 06/20/22 12:35 PM
P
Pat Goff Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
This was ten minutes ago. I'd be in the surf right now.

[Linked Image]

Pat Goff
Seadrift TX
[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide