Page 1 of 2 1 2
Problem with circle hook for striper #14369830 05/17/22 12:27 PM
M
mark44 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
I was using 3/0 eagle claw sea circles fishing with 3-6" threadfins hooked through the nose. At least a 10 times during the morning we had good take downs, starting cranking on the fish, only for it to let go after a few seconds. When we reeled in the bait, the point of the circle hook at re-embedded itself into the shad so the circle hook could not set into the fish. We tried a few times hooking the shad through the dorsal, and still had the same issue. After we switched to plain J-hooks, we never had this issue again. I use circle hooks all the time when fishing the coast and have never had this problem.

What hooks do you like to use for live baiting striper, and is there any trick on hooking the shad if I do want to keep using circle hooks.

Re: Problem with circle hook for striper [Re: mark44] #14369933 05/17/22 01:54 PM
R
romeroxl1200 Offline
Angler
Angler
R
I only use small circle hooks and minnows via both lips and never have issues....since I target striper, LM and crappie at the same time...thumper attracts everybody swimming

Re: Problem with circle hook for striper [Re: mark44] #14370065 05/17/22 03:58 PM
C
captaincam3 Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Try some Kahle or Croaker hooks.

2012 Nautic Star 2200 Sport
Re: Problem with circle hook for striper [Re: mark44] #14370117 05/17/22 04:37 PM
T
TCK73 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Gamakatsu Octopus Circle Hooks are my choice. Hook the Shad through the nostril and let er' rip. I always let them take the rod tip to the water, and then just lift it and reel in. Most of the time the fish is hooked in their upper lip or side of mouth.

Re: Problem with circle hook for striper [Re: mark44] #14370130 05/17/22 04:42 PM
H
Holzer Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
H
Kahle for stripers
Circle for catfish

Holzer
My pic is gone frown
Re: Problem with circle hook for striper [Re: mark44] #14370138 05/17/22 04:48 PM
M
Mo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
What knot are you using on the circles ? I was told years ago , a circle hook should be snelled.

MO

MY BACKYARD , 20,000 ACRES , NO MOWING smile
Re: Problem with circle hook for striper [Re: mark44] #14370410 05/17/22 08:25 PM
Holding The Line Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by mark44
I was using 3/0 eagle claw sea circles fishing with 3-6" threadfins hooked through the nose. At least a 10 times during the morning we had good take downs, starting cranking on the fish, only for it to let go after a few seconds. When we reeled in the bait, the point of the circle hook at re-embedded itself into the shad so the circle hook could not set into the fish. We tried a few times hooking the shad through the dorsal, and still had the same issue. After we switched to plain J-hooks, we never had this issue again. I use circle hooks all the time when fishing the coast and have never had this problem.

What hooks do you like to use for live baiting striper, and is there any trick on hooking the shad if I do want to keep using circle hooks.

Mark, here is a an entire article I wrote about this exact issue you are experiencing. This issue can largely be resolved by using a simple "mono tag". Here is a photo, and the article from the 28 April 2019 Killeen Daily Herald...

[Linked Image]

CAPTION: Item 1 shows a mono tag affixed to a circle hook's shank. The author used orange monofilament for visibility in the photo, but prefers clear line for fishing applications. Item 2 shows a properly positioned mono tag preventing the bait fish from traveling too far up the shank. Item 3 shows how a hook without a mono tag can become embedded in the head of the bait fish, thus preventing a hookup.

That magic window for good quantity and quality hybrid striped bass fishing on Belton Lake has finally arrived thanks to more seasonable weather over the last 10 days.

This opportunity for fast fishing will typically last through the last week of May, or perhaps into the first week of June before the development of the summer thermocline brings a halt to the bite.

The annual threadfin shad spawn is taking place in all but the main basin of Belton Lake now, so these excellent baitfish are readily available to those willing to rise early enough to find them teeming in the shallows on all but the chilliest mornings.

My go-to rig for live shad consists of a 3/4 -ounce egg sinker attached to my braided mainline above a swivel. Below the swivel is my 25-pound test fluorocarbon leader of about 30 inches in length, terminated with a circle hook chosen based on average bait size.

Based on the size of threadfin shad I typically netted this past week, I chose a Mustad Demon Perfect circle hook in size 1/0.

Once a hook is selected, a simple addition to any style of live bait hook will greatly increase your hookups by decreasing the likelihood of your hook becoming embedded in your bait.

This addition is something I call a “mono tag.” I learned of this through a Florida tarpon guide who used this trick of the trade when fishing pogies and mullet on circle hooks.

Adding a mono tag to your live bait hook is easy. Simply use a clear piece of monofilament or fluorocarbon of between 12- and 20-pound test, wrap it twice around the shank of the hook between the bend of the hook and the eye of the hook, and then tie an improved clinch knot.

Moisten the knot and cinch it down well onto the shank of the hook using your thumb and forefinger, then snip both ends of the line to about 1/16th of an inch, leaving the knot fastened to the shank.

The knot can be moved up or down the shank based on hook style and bait size.

The knot is properly positioned when it prevents the point of the hook from embedding itself back into the head of the bait. Experimenting with knot positioning on a dead bait is well worth the time, as once you figure out the proper location for the tag, that location can be used from that point forward so long as the bait size is approximately the same.

The farther away from the point and barb you place the tag while still allowing the tag to do its job, the better off you will be.

I choose to use circle hooks because my guiding operation is 100% catch-and-release and circle hooks allow for a quick release with much-reduced gut hooking. However, this mono tag will also work with baitholder hooks, Kahle hooks, octopus hooks and other common bait hook designs.

I find that these mono tags are most helpful when smaller fish are striking larger baits, and when fish are not feeding aggressively. In both of these scenarios, instead of gulping a bait down their gullet immediately, fish will grab the bait and keep it in their mouths a bit before swallowing it. Some fish use this pause between biting and swallowing to get the bait oriented head-first so it more easily glides down their gullet.

When fish do this, the bait gets folded into a C-shape inside the mouth cavity. This is when the potential for the hook point becoming embedded into the bait— typically on the side of the head, behind the eye and ahead of the gill — is greatest.

This past week we enjoyed solid live shad fishing on Monday, Tuesday and Friday, taking Wednesday off thanks to the storms and avoiding Thursday’s post-frontal, bright, calm, cool conditions. Each party landed hybrid exceeding 5 pounds as well as smaller, still-legal hybrid, in addition to white bass, largemouth bass, freshwater drum, blue catfish, crappie and sub-legal hybrid stripers.

On Monday, M.J. and Gene Linder and family friends Justin and John Hall landed 34 fish, including 15 legal hybrid stripers. On Tuesday, father and son Matt and Mitch Laakso landed 37 fish, including 17 legal hybrid stripers. On Friday, David Burke and his friends, Glen Wagoner Jr. and Glen Wagoner III, landed 38 fish including 19 legal hybrid.

We were fortunate in that Wednesday’s rains did not stain the water so badly that the bite was negatively impacted. Further, the water temperature is still cooler than normal for late April, which means there is still plenty of solid fishing to come. Consider making all you can of what remains of this peak season by giving this simple, inexpensive ticket to a higher bite-to-land ratio a try.

[Linked Image]
Bob Maindelle, 254-368-7411
Holding The Line Guide Service
Bob@HoldingTheLineGuideService.com
Stillhouse & Belton
Ask About Trips for Kids

Re: Problem with circle hook for striper [Re: mark44] #14370694 05/18/22 02:19 AM
E
Easeup Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
I learn something new everyday

Re: Problem with circle hook for striper [Re: mark44] #14370749 05/18/22 05:00 AM
scubaarchery Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I use a size 6 owner Muta light circle hook on a loo knot and hook the shad through both nostrils. I don’t remember having this issue although it probably happens once in a while…. Most of the time I miss the fish it seems like a short strike as the tail may be skinned.

Catch more hybrids, sand-bass and striper with the Thump’emup Thumper!
www.thumpemupfishing.com
Thumpemupfishingchannel@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi602ZTsxnkaVwT0wq3OgCA
Re: Problem with circle hook for striper [Re: mark44] #14371610 05/19/22 01:09 AM
W
Whistlebritches Offline
Angler
Angler
W
I use 4/0 - 6/0 Mustard Demon Circle hooks,shad hooked thru the nostrils........No issues.However I can see that the "MONO TAG" might be very useful with lively bait.

Last edited by Whistlebritches; 05/19/22 01:10 AM.

On Time,On Target,Never Quit
Re: Problem with circle hook for striper [Re: mark44] #14371698 05/19/22 03:07 AM
B
Bassthumb: Phill's Guide Svc Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
You need 2/0 kale hooks

Phill's Guide Service - Lake Lewisville and Lake Ray Roberts
817-201-4144
https://phillsguideservice.com/
Like us on Facebook!
[Linked Image]
Re: Problem with circle hook for striper [Re: mark44] #14372090 05/19/22 04:31 PM
H
Holzer Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
H
I throw out another one of my opinions while we're still talking hooks.
Something to consider when you choose whatever style of hook you want to go with - the size of the wire. And sometimes color.

When I go fishing, many times if not always I'll have every line set up & bait positioned differently. I work to find the answer of - how do they want it today. Doing this you'll eventually see a pattern or at the lease find the answer to how they want it today.
For me, if I'm fishing clear water or my bait is shorter than 4 inches , I don't want a heavy wire hook. And in clear water, I also don't want that brown/black hook. I want the silver one. That's just me.

Will you still catch fish no matter what hook or color you use? I'd say yes.
Does it make a difference in how many fish you catch or quality of fish you catch? Maybe... Maybe not...

Holzer
My pic is gone frown
Re: Problem with circle hook for striper [Re: mark44] #14372125 05/19/22 04:58 PM
P
Phantom Fisherman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
I have had really good results with plain octopus hooks. Match size hook to size of bait. Normally hook themselves in top lip!

Phantom Fisherman
Re: Problem with circle hook for striper [Re: mark44] #14372236 05/19/22 07:14 PM
M
mark44 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
M
Thanks for the tips guys. I picked up some 1/0 and 2/0 kahles and some 2/0 octopus hooks. I will fish a mix of them on Saturday and see what works best.

Re: Problem with circle hook for striper [Re: mark44] #14372514 05/20/22 12:17 AM
Z
z289sec Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Z
I use 2/0 circles for striper, live shad hooked through the lip and nose if drifting. Through the back if anchored. Never had an issue.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide