Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14360534 05/05/22 12:50 PM
rickys Offline
Angler
Angler
I personally think all tournaments should have a limit. 100 seems to be the best number from my perspective. We now how the TTO Pro series if you want to do some high stakes gambling etc... All fields definitely need to be capped.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: rickys] #14360538 05/05/22 12:53 PM
N
N2Bass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Originally Posted by rickys
I personally think all tournaments should have a limit. 100 seems to be the best number from my perspective. We now how the TTO Pro series if you want to do some high stakes gambling etc... All fields definitely need to be capped.

I won't disagree w/ you.

But when we as a community start using personal opinions to force a number that each believe is proper, it can get ugly and stall out progression.

Studies have to be done by reputable operations on the sustainability of the resource.

From there, educated measures can be put in place.

Last edited by N2Bass; 05/05/22 12:55 PM.
Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14360553 05/05/22 01:07 PM
W
wh2004 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
W
A bunch of kids on the water who can barely catch one 2 pound fish isn’t hurting the resource lol

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: N2Bass] #14360555 05/05/22 01:09 PM
W
wh2004 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
W
Originally Posted by N2Bass

I won't disagree w/ you.

But when we as a community start using personal opinions to force a number that each believe is proper, it can get ugly and stall out progression.

Studies have to be done by reputable operations on the sustainability of the resource.

All this resource talk. If It would be legal for every single person on the lake to keep a limit of bass for dinner, how is a tournament where every bass is released, hurting the resource?

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: wh2004] #14360586 05/05/22 01:34 PM
N
N2Bass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Originally Posted by wh2004

I won't disagree w/ you.

All this resource talk. If It would be legal for every single person on the lake to keep a limit of bass for dinner, how is a tournament where every bass is released, hurting the resource?

Originally Posted by wh2004

I won't disagree w/ you.

Simple answer.

Do you catch as many fish today as frequently as you did 10 years ago?

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14360612 05/05/22 01:52 PM
W
wh2004 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
W
I started bass fishing about 2 years ago lol.

I was catching a [censored] load more catfish back then though lol

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: N2Bass] #14360657 05/05/22 02:25 PM
J
Javelin Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by slim 285
If you limit how big a high school tournament can be the same will happen for the rest . So now bass champs can only have a 100 boat field

One business cannot dictate anothers.

But one thing is for certain...

The more pressure you put on any resource, the more likely that resource will not sustain.

Think of it this way. There are only so many baseball fields/facilities in the state. Which means you can only schedule so many baseball tournaments each weekend. Which means there are only so many spots for teams to enter. Once they are full, it's full.

Our lakes can't just sustain as many boats as you can pack them with.

It's our responsibility to protect the resources.

Tournament sanctions are for profit businesses. They will not limit their ability to create revenue. Like any other business.

Protecting the resources our public waters afford us lies in anglers/contestants hands. We have to push/force for protection.

If we don't, the end will come as the resource will be pushed to it's inability to sustain.

A good example would be Kansas deer permits. There are only so many issued each year. And each year there are trophies to be had. Because the resource is protected for a thriving herd.

I suggest we as a fishing community bring these issues to the Texas Parks & Wildlife to implement ideas and ways to protect the resources. The risk here is putting government in charge of the resources. Which, in a way, happens already. Just not to the extent we have to apply for permits to have a Tuesday night working mans derby.

So we can either put the pressure on the tournament sanction to protect our resources, or put it in the hands of municipalities.

Our lakes are not hurting. Our lakes have thriving populations of fish and every study done show that tournament fishing does not harm our fisheries. TPW regulates our lakes very well They stock millions of fish in lakes across the state each year and they keep very detailed harvest and electroshocking data to make sure our lakes are not depleted of resources. Sam Rayburn is the perfect example. It is one of the most pressured tournament lakes in the nation and has been since the 1970s. To this day it continues to pump out fish at an amazing rate. Nearby Toledo Bend is another example, fairly pressured by tournaments, but the major difference is the tremendous number of people who keep bass to eat on toledo due to its border with Louisiana. Even with this added pressure it is still a good lake.

Overall pressure of people fishing is what makes it harder to catch fish, not tournaments. Fish are smart, and they learn us anglers. The only way to make the fish "easy" to catch is to limit the number of people allowed to fish a lake, but of course then you could not go fishing anytime you want.

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14360686 05/05/22 02:51 PM
D
Douglas J Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
Do people not realize how much money can be made from high school fishing? This is a chance to really expand the industry and create new jobs.

Not on same scale as baseball or football, but there is a place, financially, to really capitalize on this "new" frontier.

#MFGA
Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: Javelin] #14360701 05/05/22 03:01 PM
B
Bass Buster1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by Javelin
If you limit how big a high school tournament can be the same will happen for the rest . So now bass champs can only have a 100 boat field

The more pressure you put on any resource, the more likely that resource will not sustain.

Think of it this way. There are only so many baseball fields/facilities in the state. Which means you can only schedule so many baseball tournaments each weekend. Which means there are only so many spots for teams to enter. Once they are full, it's full.

Tournament sanctions are for profit businesses. They will not limit their ability to create revenue. Like any other business.

Protecting the resources our public waters afford us lies in anglers/contestants hands. We have to push/force for protection.

If we don't, the end will come as the resource will be pushed to it's inability to sustain.

A good example would be Kansas deer permits. There are only so many issued each year. And each year there are trophies to be had. Because the resource is protected for a thriving herd.

I suggest we as a fishing community bring these issues to the Texas Parks & Wildlife to implement ideas and ways to protect the resources. The risk here is putting government in charge of the resources. Which, in a way, happens already. Just not to the extent we have to apply for permits to have a Tuesday night working mans derby.

So we can either put the pressure on the tournament sanction to protect our resources, or put it in the hands of municipalities.

Our lakes are not hurting. Our lakes have thriving populations of fish and every study done show that tournament fishing does not harm our fisheries. TPW regulates our lakes very well They stock millions of fish in lakes across the state each year and they keep very detailed harvest and electroshocking data to make sure our lakes are not depleted of resources. Sam Rayburn is the perfect example. It is one of the most pressured tournament lakes in the nation and has been since the 1970s. To this day it continues to pump out fish at an amazing rate. Nearby Toledo Bend is another example, fairly pressured by tournaments, but the major difference is the tremendous number of people who keep bass to eat on toledo due to its border with Louisiana. Even with this added pressure it is still a good lake.

Overall pressure of people fishing is what makes it harder to catch fish, not tournaments. Fish are smart, and they learn us anglers. The only way to make the fish "easy" to catch is to limit the number of people allowed to fish a lake, but of course then you could not go fishing anytime you want.

The worse thing for fishing is pressure! Go to an unpressured stock tank that has a population of Bass and throw anything you want and you will be successful. Fish that same tank every day with the same bait and you will see your catch rate go down after just a day or two. If you release them all did the fish go anywhere or population decline? No they just got educated and pressured. Go to a very pressured public lake that you are very familiar with after close to 30 years of fishing it and you will fight for 5 or 6 good bites in a full day because of pressure.

I am in favor of "X" number of tournament permits issued per lake per year based on a yearly study by a biologist. Yep this would be govt. and I can't stand govt. involvement in things. When people can't police themselves, it becomes necessary to make stupid rules! I am also in favor of limiting the size of a tournament field to "X" number of boats per water body acre first come first served.

See you on the lake and have a great day!
Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: Bass Buster1] #14360773 05/05/22 04:15 PM
W
wh2004 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
W
Originally Posted by Bass Buster1
Originally Posted by Javelin

The worse thing for fishing is pressure! Go to an unpressured stock tank that has a population of Bass and throw anything you want and you will be successful. Fish that same tank every day with the same bait and you will see your catch rate go down after just a day or two. If you release them all did the fish go anywhere or population decline? No they just got educated and pressured. Go to a very pressured public lake that you are very familiar with after close to 30 years of fishing it and you will fight for 5 or 6 good bites in a full day because of pressure.

I am in favor of "X" number of tournament permits issued per lake per year based on a yearly study by a biologist. Yep this would be govt. and I can't stand govt. involvement in things. When people can't police themselves, it becomes necessary to make stupid rules! I am also in favor of limiting the size of a tournament field to "X" number of boats per water body acre first come first served.

So you have to become a better bass fisherman and throw a different lure. Big deal lol
There would be zero allure if It wasn’t difficult. At least for me.

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14360774 05/05/22 04:15 PM
T
tx_basser Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
I think each school should be limited on the number of teams that can be sent to each event, that way it cuts down on the overall entries you see at each tournament. These schools should be fielding no more than 5 teams per school with the kids that have the best opporuntity to succeed, and be within a specific region. Example: You don't need all of the farther north or west schools coming to fish Hubbard/Lavon when they should be fishing up at Robert/Lewisville/Grapevine, etc.

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14360780 05/05/22 04:17 PM
W
wh2004 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
W
A yearly study by a biologist to come up with an arbitrary number to limit tournament boats so the fish are less pressured? That makes zero sense. Should they also limit recreational bass fishermen who catch and release or just tournament fisherman who catch and release? Do the fish know which is which? Lol

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: Bass Buster1] #14360828 05/05/22 05:13 PM
J
Javelin Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J

[/quote]

I am in favor of "X" number of tournament permits issued per lake per year based on a yearly study by a biologist. Yep this would be govt. and I can't stand govt. involvement in things. When people can't police themselves, it becomes necessary to make stupid rules! I am also in favor of limiting the size of a tournament field to "X" number of boats per water body acre first come first served. [/quote]

Why put limits on tournaments but not any other fishing. If the tournaments were limited, people are still going to fish. Again, fishing pressure is just something that we have to deal with and do our best to learn to become better anglers. I know I sure would hate that on my only day off to fish in a month that I could not go to my home lake because oh they only allow so many people to fish per day. Again studies show tournaments how no negative effect on bass populations, so why pick those to limit.

Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: J.P. Greeson] #14360864 05/05/22 05:51 PM
D
Dogfish_Jones Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
The only thing I wish would happen is they have the field cut down to 100 boats. We are getting 300+ boats High School tournaments here.

2020 Nitro Z20, Mercury 250xp 4 stroke
"Sometimes I have to remind myself that it is called Fishing and not catching"
Re: high school bass tournaments [Re: SteezMacQueen] #14360873 05/05/22 05:59 PM
T
TexY3TI Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Why do high school tournaments have entry fees? I/we didn’t have to ante up before a football game or a baseball game. We didn’t win cash after the dust settled.

The inclusion of money makes this NOT a “high school sport”. Inclusion of money will always bring out the worst in some people.

Tell me you don’t know anything about high school sports…without telling me you don’t know anything about high school sports.

Multiple sports pay entry fees…track, basketball, swim, soccer….and if you think schools don’t pay money for football and baseball to compete, your delusion is deep. The “inclusion” of money is not the defining factor of sport vs non-sport. And literally every sport has monetary gains for students to participate…they’re called scholarships.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide