Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Lake Fork guide [Re: Cliff31] #14357577 05/02/22 02:24 AM
R
Rog Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Sorry for your disappointment but hate to say some of us that fish it every week still get blanked at times. Fished Friday and Saturday. Didn’t get on the water until 4:45 Friday but we had 2 7s 2 5s and a couple 2-4 lbers all on top waters in .5-1 fow. Fished Saturday got on water around 10:30 and only had 2 until 3:30 and finished with 16-20, again top waters and also cr flukes. Definitely a late bite. Fish are on the points and getting hammered pretty good so they are super finicky. Probably had ten times where we threw baits into groups of giant bass blowing up bait without a bite. So frustrating Also I keep seeing a bunch of the guys getting up shallow and power poling down and then fishing up the slope. They are sitting where they should be throwing right now. Fish are running giant gizzard shad up on the points/shallows in very specific type areas right now. We went right behind a couple of boats and pulled fish from where they had been sitting after they left.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Lake Fork guide [Re: Cliff31] #14357586 05/02/22 02:38 AM
R
Rog Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R

Originally Posted by Cliff31
Originally Posted by David Burton
Cliff,

I know this has sort of gone around, but please indulge...

Where on the lake did the guide take you, what baits did he have you throwing? Did you move around from spot to spot? Did he get a few "guide strikes" when he put his line in the water to make sure fish were there? I really want to know if he was literally just phoning it in, or if something else happened and he was just not on the fish one day afte the winds changed during one of the fishiest months.

I’m not all that familiar with the lake, but we launched at 6:30am from Pope’s Landing Marina. Initially went straight across where we threw shad lures for at least an hour.

The next spot already had boats, so believe we spent the rest of the day in little Mustang. There we threw a Texas rigged worms pretty much the whole time. Moved a few spots and switched colors, but that was about it.

Sorry man sounds like they packed it in on ya unless you told them we don’t want to fish the wind. They are on wind blown points right now and the windier the better. My buddy and I backlashed a 1000 times Friday in the 20 mph wind but we were out on main lake running points in the wind. Like I said in other post we had a great evening for only a couple hours on the water with 2 7s. Saturday the wind died mid morning then went to the north then died again late. Made it a little tougher day.

Re: Lake Fork guide [Re: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell] #14357597 05/02/22 03:06 AM
W
wh2004 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
W
Originally Posted by Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell
Yes this happens but not often. I will say a couple of things on this to try and help.

As guides we do the best with what we have in our boat, in saying that we are only as good as our fisherman we have. if they use spinning reels most of the time that is a set back for most guides.

The presentation and accuracy with a spinning reel is different. I have seen this a thousand times.

We cant guarantee anything but to take you where we have been catching and hoping for the best.

Now how many bites did you get that you did not detect ?

Skill level goes a long way in fishing. Although anyone can fish but catching is hard. I find that lure presentation and accuracy are a big plus.

The way the lake is fishing and it being low, with most of my customers we are spending 1-2 hours of a 8 hour day chasing lures hung up in the trees.

Now if you have fish in a area and the customer hangs a lure up in the area and the guide goes to it well, lets just say you probably spook the fish that was there not to mention beating the boat against the trees is like driving a bull dozer to your deer blind.

Now with three people and that many hooks don't even out the odds IMO but make is harder to keep the boat position for each angler.

I get anglers that go only a couple of times a year but hire a guide expecting him to over come all the odds for the customer.

It is like this if you only do something 1-3 X a year you probably not be very good at it. Time on the water makes everyone better.

One more thing to mention. The Pros were here last month who are suppose to be the best of the best and they only averaged 6 fish per boat on day 1, then 5 on day 2, and 4.1 on day 3.

Now what is your skill set against these guys who do this daily ?? Just asking for a friend. This is something everyone should think about.

Guides are Guides not GODS. Just saying.

I am not taking any side in this but trying to get anglers to understand both sides.

Now I will say this and not to brag or anything. On Friday I had two guys that have fished with me for years and they like to fish for BIG BASS not numbers which Fork is not a numbers lake anymore.

My guys tell me just BIG BASS only so our numbers on Friday were not good only 6 total.

Good thing about Friday was one of my guys had 2 over 8 lbs. Sometimes Luck is Everything.

I know you don’t care, but I wouldn’t hire you based on this post. Talk about degrading the people that pay your bills.

Re: Lake Fork guide [Re: Cliff31] #14357857 05/02/22 03:25 PM
L
Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Not degrading anyone but just being HONEST ! Not everyone can play football and not everyone can fish or catch. It takes lots of time and practice to be good at anything.

As I mentioned anyone can zero at anytime no matter how good you are.

Might re-read it to get the point. The presentation is totally different with different rods/reels.

Presentation may be the most important thing in catching fish and not just fishing for luck.

Skill set or level helps in everything from fishing, football, baseball, as well as guiding etc ........... that is my point.

Not sure who the guide was or his skill set / level. It all comes back to each ones skill level. IMO

Last edited by Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell; 05/02/22 03:31 PM.
Re: Lake Fork guide [Re: wh2004] #14358016 05/02/22 05:31 PM
hopalong Offline
Pescador Loco
Pescador Loco
Originally Posted by wh2004
Yes this happens but not often. I will say a couple of things on this to try and help.

As guides we do the best with what we have in our boat, in saying that we are only as good as our fisherman we have. if they use spinning reels most of the time that is a set back for most guides.

The presentation and accuracy with a spinning reel is different. I have seen this a thousand times.

We cant guarantee anything but to take you where we have been catching and hoping for the best.

Skill level goes a long way in fishing. Although anyone can fish but catching is hard. I find that lure presentation and accuracy are a big plus.

The way the lake is fishing and it being low, with most of my customers we are spending 1-2 hours of a 8 hour day chasing lures hung up in the trees.

Now if you have fish in a area and the customer hangs a lure up in the area and the guide goes to it well, lets just say you probably spook the fish that was there not to mention beating the boat against the trees is like driving a bull dozer to your deer blind.

Now with three people and that many hooks don't even out the odds IMO but make is harder to keep the boat position for each angler.

I get anglers that go only a couple of times a year but hire a guide expecting him to over come all the odds for the customer.

It is like this if you only do something 1-3 X a year you probably not be very good at it. Time on the water makes everyone better.

One more thing to mention. The Pros were here last month who are suppose to be the best of the best and they only averaged 6 fish per boat on day 1, then 5 on day 2, and 4.1 on day 3.

Now what is your skill set against these guys who do this daily ?? Just asking for a friend. This is something everyone should think about.

I am not taking any side in this but trying to get anglers to understand both sides.

Now I will say this and not to brag or anything. On Friday I had two guys that have fished with me for years and they like to fish for BIG BASS not numbers which Fork is not a numbers lake anymore.

My guys tell me just BIG BASS only so our numbers on Friday were not good only 6 total.

Good thing about Friday was one of my guys had 2 over 8 lbs. Sometimes Luck is Everything.

I know you don’t care, but I wouldn’t hire you based on this post. Talk about degrading the people that pay your bills.

I would hire him in a split second, I see marc on the water a lot and have no doubt he knows what's happening.

marc is about the only guide I see out solo fishing, guess he is patterning for future customers.

Re: Lake Fork guide [Re: wh2004] #14358044 05/02/22 06:05 PM
T
Txduckhunter Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T

If your protesting about this - you are probably the kind of guy he is talking about. He's telling the truth and some might not like it.

Re: Lake Fork guide [Re: Cliff31] #14358117 05/02/22 07:14 PM
W
wh2004 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
W
I’m not protesting. I just wouldn’t hire him. I’m sorry that’s such a problem for you.

You choose being a guide as a living you better 1. Figure out a way to put people on fish regardless of their skill level and 2. Don’t bite the hand that feeds you.

Marc seems to be established so I’m sure he’s good, but some new start up guide isn’t going to get far if he doesn’t follow that.

Re: Lake Fork guide [Re: Cliff31] #14358118 05/02/22 07:17 PM
Cameron Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Many guides are not fishing Lake Fork. I understand why in the winter, but not in the spring. I’d rather blank on Fork and have a chance at a giant- than pay big bucks for 20 rats on Welsh.

Re: Lake Fork guide [Re: Cameron] #14358160 05/02/22 08:22 PM
hopalong Offline
Pescador Loco
Pescador Loco
Originally Posted by Cameron
Many guides are not fishing Lake Fork. I understand why in the winter, but not in the spring. I’d rather blank on Fork and have a chance at a giant- than pay big bucks for 20 rats on Welsh.

thumb

Re: Lake Fork guide [Re: wh2004] #14358163 05/02/22 08:26 PM
hopalong Offline
Pescador Loco
Pescador Loco
I’m not protesting. I just wouldn’t hire him. I’m sorry that’s such a problem for you.

You choose being a guide as a living you better 1. Figure out a way to put people on fish regardless of their skill level and 2. Don’t bite the hand that feeds you.

Marc seems to be established so I’m sure he’s good, but some new start up guide isn’t going to get far if he doesn’t follow that.

so by your logic, when I started guiding elk and mule deer in colorado I should have had a 100% kill ratio?

if that is what you mean then I think you are living in a fantasy world, no one and I mean NO ONE has the ability to consistently put people on fish or wildlife since they are animals.

difference being that when I put you on an elk or mulie it then becomes simply how good a shot are you, same with fish, the fish are there but if you can't catch them it is in no way the guides fault. you can easily find fish on fork, catching them is a whole nother deal.

Re: Lake Fork guide [Re: Cameron] #14358165 05/02/22 08:27 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D

Of all the guides you have known over the years, how many could blank in the middle of the spawn and shad spawn with 3 clients in an 8 hour day?

Be honest...

#MFGA
Re: Lake Fork guide [Re: Douglas J] #14358169 05/02/22 08:33 PM
hopalong Offline
Pescador Loco
Pescador Loco
Originally Posted by Douglas J

Of all the guides you have known over the years, how many could blank in the middle of the spawn and shad spawn with 3 clients in an 8 hour day?

Be honest...

none the way you worded it, bad fishermen easy to blank.

can't set hook right, wait too long or don't put enough in it.

insist on wrong lure and not good at presenting it. ie. chatterbait, sometimes a straight retrieve works, sometimes a lift and drop works, sometimes making it bump timber works. if the person tossing it can't figure that out they blank.

y'all keep acting like just because a guide can put people on fish the dam fish will attack any lure thrown any way, simply won't work that way on any lake.

have you ever fished one end of the boat and blanked while the other end keeps gettin bit with same lures?

Re: Lake Fork guide [Re: Cliff31] #14358171 05/02/22 08:34 PM
W
wh2004 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
W
Yes hopalong, hunting elk and catching 1 fish are the exact same thing.

Re: Lake Fork guide [Re: hopalong] #14358173 05/02/22 08:37 PM
W
wh2004 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
W
Originally Posted by hopalong
Originally Posted by Douglas J

Be honest...

none the way you worded it, bad fishermen easy to blank.

can't set hook right, wait too long or don't put enough in it.

insist on wrong lure and not good at presenting it. ie. chatterbait, sometimes a straight retrieve works, sometimes a lift and drop works, sometimes making it bump timber works. if the person tossing it can't figure that out they blank.

y'all keep acting like just because a guide can put people on fish the dam fish will attack any lure thrown any way, simply won't work that way on any lake.

have you ever fished one end of the boat and blanked while the other end keeps gettin bit with same lures?

And you keep acting like just because the client didn’t catch a fish, they must be bad fishermen. Maybe the guide sucks? Remember he didn’t catch a fish either. Maybe he didn’t actually “put them on It”
Maybe they should tie on a wacky rig and tell the client to throw It out and let It sink. Surely someone can catch one fish doing that.

Re: Lake Fork guide [Re: wh2004] #14358174 05/02/22 08:38 PM
hopalong Offline
Pescador Loco
Pescador Loco
Yes hopalong, hunting elk and catching 1 fish are the exact same thing.

guiding elk, I could put folks on the elk no problem since we had camps in the weimenuche wilderness and it has the largest herd in colorado.

hunter gets the shakes and misses is that my fault?

guide puts a person on fish and they can't get the lure or presentation right is that the guides fault they didn't catch?

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide