Print Thread
What stage are they in for this lake…. #14356875 04/30/22 11:48 PM
S
spooncg Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Fished a lake in Oklahoma around Lawton, just north of the Texas border. Water temp was between 63-65 depending on which graph you read. Caught mostly females 5-8’ and a few males 3-4’. Would y’all think they are still moving up to spawn or done? Prob caught 20 fish from sunrise to 9am on jigs. None of the females appeared to me to be oozing with eggs, however I’ve only recently in the last 2-3 years gotten into crappie fishing.

Just trying to decide if I’m a week late or a week early for most of the crappie. I try to fish this lake each year around the same time and they only seem to be only stacked on this part of the lake along the dam for a week and then gone.

Re: What stage are they in for this lake…. [Re: spooncg] #14356954 05/01/22 03:04 AM
M
Mckinneycrappiecatcher Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
M
Some spawn, mostly prespawn probably

Re: What stage are they in for this lake…. [Re: spooncg] #14360031 05/04/22 08:50 PM
J
jig master Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Post spawn but still shallow!!

Don't believe everything you hear and half of what you see . Living for the Thump !!
Re: What stage are they in for this lake…. [Re: spooncg] #14360034 05/04/22 08:53 PM
J
jig master Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by spooncg
Fished a lake in Oklahoma around Lawton, just north of the Texas border. Water temp was between 63-65 depending on which graph you read. Caught mostly females 5-8’ and a few males 3-4’. Would y’all think they are still moving up to spawn or done? Prob caught 20 fish from sunrise to 9am on jigs. None of the females appeared to me to be oozing with eggs, however I’ve only recently in the last 2-3 years gotten into crappie fishing.

Just trying to decide if I’m a week late or a week early for most of the crappie. I try to fish this lake each year around the same time and they only seem to be only stacked on this part of the lake along the dam for a week and then gone.

Stick and move try different things I would say they are finishing up and most lakes are in post spawn pattern of course we are further south than you and I’m seeing 70 plus temps. Try docks brush tops in mouths of creeks etc. stick and move till you find pattern. I mainly would be shooting docks right now and the deep ones. Good luck !!

Last edited by jig master; 05/04/22 08:54 PM.

Don't believe everything you hear and half of what you see . Living for the Thump !!
Re: What stage are they in for this lake…. [Re: jig master] #14360154 05/04/22 10:59 PM
M
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
M
Originally Posted by jig master

Stick and move try different things I would say they are finishing up and most lakes are in post spawn pattern of course we are further south than you and I’m seeing 70 plus temps. Try docks brush tops in mouths of creeks etc. stick and move till you find pattern. I mainly would be shooting docks right now and the deep ones. Good luck !!

I find this hard to believe with water temps in the low to mid 60s. The crappie spawn peaks around 68-72 degree, I’m sure there are some fish at that range that have finished spawning, but I went out last weekend expecting to catch postspawn fish at 69-72 degree surface temps. The black crappie were spawned out, but all of the female white crappie were still full of eggs in prespawn mode.

Re: What stage are they in for this lake…. [Re: spooncg] #14360253 05/05/22 01:01 AM
S
spooncg Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Hopefully I can go again this Sat and I’ll report back. Tons of rain here in Oklahoma with a few tornadoes sprinkled in this week so hopefully by Sat the fish are adjusted somewhat to the higher water level. Rain should stop Thur about noon.

Re: What stage are they in for this lake…. [Re: spooncg] #14360399 05/05/22 04:32 AM
M
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
M
Hopefully I can go again this Sat and I’ll report back. Tons of rain here in Oklahoma with a few tornadoes sprinkled in this week so hopefully by Sat the fish are adjusted somewhat to the higher water level. Rain should stop Thur about noon.

Hopefully, but if any floodgates are open those fish are going to back off the banks and get lockjaw. Very common with crappie.

Re: What stage are they in for this lake…. [Re: Mckinneycrappiecatcher] #14360814 05/05/22 04:53 PM
J
jig master Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Hopefully, but if any floodgates are open those fish are going to back off the banks and get lockjaw. Very common with crappie.

Yep !!! Plus 2.

Re: What stage are they in for this lake…. [Re: Mckinneycrappiecatcher] #14360817 05/05/22 04:56 PM
J
jig master Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by Mckinneycrappiecatcher
Originally Posted by jig master

I find this hard to believe with water temps in the low to mid 60s. The crappie spawn peaks around 68-72 degree, I’m sure there are some fish at that range that have finished spawning, but I went out last weekend expecting to catch postspawn fish at 69-72 degree surface temps. The black crappie were spawned out, but all of the female white crappie were still full of eggs in prespawn mode.

Post spawn is here where I’m fishing mid south Texas. Also you need to understand just because you find some crappie that have eggs in them doesn’t mean it isn’t post spawn. JS

Last edited by jig master; 05/05/22 05:16 PM.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide