Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Kayak Trailer [Re: Pop751] #14337527 04/07/22 05:56 PM
T
texas-rig Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted by Pop751
I bought and modified a used jet ski trailer to haul my PA12. It has more than enough capacity and the tires are big enough to not worry about them on the highway.

Jet ski trailer would be my suggestion also. Get a used one, would be perfect for a yak.

Re: Kayak Trailer [Re: texas-rig] #14338083 04/08/22 12:36 PM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by texas-rig
I bought and modified a used jet ski trailer to haul my PA12. It has more than enough capacity and the tires are big enough to not worry about them on the highway.

Jet ski trailer would be my suggestion also. Get a used one, would be perfect for a yak.

For a 12' kayak should be doable. I bought a used jet ski trailer for my 15' long Viking and the trailer was way too short. Had little over 5' of kayak hanging off the back end.

Last edited by Jerry713; 04/08/22 12:37 PM.

You get out of it what you put into it!
Re: Kayak Trailer [Re: Jerry713] #14338197 04/08/22 01:39 PM
J
Jim Ford Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by Jerry713

For a 12' kayak should be doable. I bought a used jet ski trailer for my 15' long Viking and the trailer was way too short. Had little over 5' of kayak hanging off the back end.

Back in 2014 I bought a Harbor Freight trailer to set up for my kayaks. I bought a stalk of 2” square tube and welded on a flange to create a (IIRC) 7’ extension up front. Cheap, worked well, and made the trailer a whole lot easier to back up. It also put support under the entire length of the hull, as well as eliminating the overhang aft. I only sold it to go to a galvanized trailer for the salt water. It wouldn’t take much to modify a jet ski trailer similarly, and they make a rattle can galvanizing spray that you could paint over to deter salt water oxidation on the extension.

Re: Kayak Trailer [Re: David Cole] #14338308 04/08/22 03:14 PM
F
Fish-ed Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
F
I have a modified jet sky trailer built to handle two kayaks on racks with room for camping stuff under the racks. I'm going to be selling it for $400. I just have to find the title.

just trying to catch a fish
Re: Kayak Trailer [Re: Fish-ed] #14338335 04/08/22 03:47 PM
R
RBDavis3591 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted by Fish-ed
I have a modified jet sky trailer built to handle two kayaks on racks with room for camping stuff under the racks. I'm going to be selling it for $400. I just have to find the title.

Do you have any pictures of your trailer?

Re: Kayak Trailer [Re: David Cole] #14338365 04/08/22 04:25 PM
F
Fish-ed Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
F
Not with me. I can take some when I get home.

Re: Kayak Trailer [Re: Fish-ed] #14338875 04/09/22 03:45 AM
J
Jim Ford Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J

It may be a non-titled vehicle; check with your local tax office. You may only need a bill of sale to transfer it.

Re: Kayak Trailer [Re: David Cole] #14340424 04/11/22 01:49 PM
F
Fish-ed Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
F
It is titled. I was busy this weekend and didn't a chance to look for it. I'll find it tonight when I get off work.

Re: Kayak Trailer [Re: David Cole] #14342360 04/13/22 01:14 PM
S
Snottynose Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Guys, small trailers(under #4000 axle) DO NOT have to be titled in Texas. Here's a quote from the DMV...
New trailer Manufacturer Certificate of Origin*
Used trailer over 4,000 lbs. gross weight Certificate of Title
Used trailer less than or equal to 4,000 lbs. gross weight Bill of Sale + Registration Receipt

If you buy new, you will get a CO. Take that and the store receipt to the DMV. You will pay taxes on the trailer and get your REGISTRATION and plates.
If you buy used, take the BoS and plate numbers to the DMV. You will be charged taxes and get your REGISTRATION and plates.

The third option is to register a used trailer as homemade. If you have modified your trailer in any way (wheel size, axle, tongue, lights, etc) it can be registered as "homemade". If the trailer is manufactured and is missing the nameplate and does not have current registration, it will need to be inspected before it can be registered.

From my experience, LEO does not actively enforce small trailer registration unless it is in non compliance (ie- no lights, no plates or out of date stickers). Even then, its just a fine, Ive never heard of a small trailer being impounded.

Re: Kayak Trailer [Re: Snottynose] #14342421 04/13/22 01:45 PM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by Snottynose
Guys, small trailers(under #4000 axle) DO NOT have to be titled in Texas. Here's a quote from the DMV...
New trailer Manufacturer Certificate of Origin*
Used trailer over 4,000 lbs. gross weight Certificate of Title
Used trailer less than or equal to 4,000 lbs. gross weight Bill of Sale + Registration Receipt

If you buy new, you will get a CO. Take that and the store receipt to the DMV. You will pay taxes on the trailer and get your REGISTRATION and plates.
If you buy used, take the BoS and plate numbers to the DMV. You will be charged taxes and get your REGISTRATION and plates.

The third option is to register a used trailer as homemade. If you have modified your trailer in any way (wheel size, axle, tongue, lights, etc) it can be registered as "homemade". If the trailer is manufactured and is missing the nameplate and does not have current registration, it will need to be inspected before it can be registered.

From my experience, LEO does not actively enforce small trailer registration unless it is in non compliance (ie- no lights, no plates or out of date stickers). Even then, its just a fine, Ive never heard of a small trailer being impounded.

A trailer title can be referred to as MSO (manufacture state of origin), MCO, COT (certificate of tiltle), etc. Still needs to have a title.

If you buy new and you have your purchase receipt your fine UNLESS you buy a bolt together kit (from Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, etc) and the COT or MCO or whatever it is called isn't signed by the dealer (which it won't be because the stores aren't going to open every box and sign it) then you will likely have issues and require a lot more steps.

A homemade trailer will need to be inspected but there's a lot more steps necessary. It has to be inspected at an official law enforcement inspection station (they give you an inspection certificate). However if there is no VIN on the trailer or the axle size is unknown the trailer would fail inspection and the hope for registering it is gone. Also your required to have the trailer weighed at an official weigh station and provide the weight ticket. Also you have to have photos from back, front, left and right side of the trailer (printed out all on one sheet of paper), you need the bill of sale when you purchased it (having the selller's DL number will help a lot), along with 2 different forms the state requires and proof of insurance. AND if you have all of this and you get to the DMV and the teller isn't savvy on what all is required you'll get turned down and have to try again. I'm unfortunately speaking from experience.

Last September Texas changed the laws on trailer registration and it is a nightmare to get a trailer titled and registered now without having a valid trailer title.

You get out of it what you put into it!
Re: Kayak Trailer [Re: Fish-ed] #14342755 04/13/22 05:43 PM
JJ4MEL Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
It is titled. I was busy this weekend and didn't a chance to look for it. I'll find it tonight when I get off work.

If it is currently registered I will buy it!

Re: Kayak Trailer [Re: David Cole] #14346843 04/18/22 09:29 PM
S
Schpanky Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
we bought an old Dilly and modified it to haul 6 boats. Lot of work but sure enjoyed doing it. If I were looking for a trailer for just a boat or 2, I'd have to say the jet ski trailer gets my vote.

Re: Kayak Trailer [Re: Jim Ford] #14348706 04/21/22 01:32 AM
E
El_Tortuga Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
Originally Posted by Jim Ford
Originally Posted by Jerry713

Back in 2014 I bought a Harbor Freight trailer to set up for my kayaks. I bought a stalk of 2” square tube and welded on a flange to create a (IIRC) 7’ extension up front. Cheap, worked well, and made the trailer a whole lot easier to back up. It also put support under the entire length of the hull, as well as eliminating the overhang aft. I only sold it to go to a galvanized trailer for the salt water. It wouldn’t take much to modify a jet ski trailer similarly, and they make a rattle can galvanizing spray that you could paint over to deter salt water oxidation on the extension.

The HF trailers are the norm in the track/autocross world for tire trailers. MANY have had issues with the tongue cracking so its normal to replace with proper square tubing. Mine barely make it back from Hallet (OK) with a crack 3/4 of the way around when I discovered it. I was shocked when I unhitched it and found the damage. Like you I replaced with longer full length square tubing and am happy that I welded it in (with reinforcements too).

Re: Kayak Trailer [Re: David Cole] #14348848 04/21/22 11:49 AM
F
Fish-ed Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
F
JJ4MEL, it has been registered, but it's expired. I'll clean it up and take some pictures. I just have to figure out how to post them.

Re: Kayak Trailer [Re: David Cole] #14349062 04/21/22 03:33 PM
R
ReelBusy Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
Find a used boat trailer to suit the size of kayak you have and fix it up to fit. I've been helping my buddy get this one fixed up, we took it out to Eufala this week for a few days, worked great!

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide