Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Uv protection...clothing [Re: gander] #14345899 04/17/22 06:18 PM
P
porta Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
P
Sunscreen works for a short while, but there have been questions in the past about its safety.

https://cen.acs.org/safety/consumer-safety/US-FDA-questions-safety-sunscreens/99/web/2021/09

There's also the Practical aspect, dealing with sunscreen lotion is more of a hassle than putting on and taking off clothing for sun protection. It means less fishing time when putting on sunscreen compared to clothing, it requires some attention to keep it on where it should be and keep it off where it shouldn't whether it's your body or surroundings like inside your car. Keep it away from your eyes and mucous membranes, even a tiny amount can be very painful in the eyes and it takes time to wait it out. Don't ask me how I know, haha! It probably costs more to use if compared to your sun clothing lasting several years.

For Neck protection I like hats that have a rear Shield that hangs down below the neck area. Also a hiking umbrella can be used to block Sun when it's not too windy, plus it's always quite a bit cooler under some kind of shade, especially with little or no wind.

Re: Uv protection...clothing [Re: porta] #14345918 04/17/22 06:47 PM
G
gander Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
G
Originally Posted by porta
Sunscreen works for a short while, but there have been questions in the past about its safety.

https://cen.acs.org/safety/consumer-safety/US-FDA-questions-safety-sunscreens/99/web/2021/09

There's also the Practical aspect, dealing with sunscreen lotion is more of a hassle than putting on and taking off clothing for sun protection. It means less fishing time when putting on sunscreen compared to clothing, it requires some attention to keep it on where it should be and keep it off where it shouldn't whether it's your body or surroundings like inside your car. Keep it away from your eyes and mucous membranes, even a tiny amount can be very painful in the eyes and it takes time to wait it out. Don't ask me how I know, haha! It probably costs more to use if compared to your sun clothing lasting several years.

For Neck protection I like hats that have a rear Shield that hangs down below the neck area. Also a hiking umbrella can be used to block Sun when it's not too windy, plus it's always quite a bit cooler under some kind of shade, especially with little or no wind.
I have had thoughts about its effectiveness for a while now but still use it at times for short periods. I have heard that buying above 50 spf protection is a waste of money. I spent over 30 years doing outside facility maintenance repair and support for SWBT, SBC and ATT with much sun/weather exposure. I have no skin issues as of yet and hope to keep it that way.

Re: Uv protection...clothing [Re: gander] #14345940 04/17/22 08:00 PM
W
Wylie Jeff Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
W
My local Wylie WalMart has real-tree long sleeve button down and LS t’s with 40 spf built in. Cheep….

Keep looking forward. That’s why windshields are larger than rear view mirrors.
Re: Uv protection...clothing [Re: gander] #14346923 04/18/22 11:37 PM
P
PlanoTom Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
P
I really like the Outdoor Research Echo Sun Hoodie. I have a couple of the PFG hoodies but the hood is heavy and pulls the front of the shirt up against my neck. The Sun Hoodie also has a hole at the end of the sleeve so you can put your thumb through it for more coverage. Depending on the time of day, I’ll wear a wide brimmed hat and use a Buff to cover my face if the sun is low. And polarized sunglasses.

Re: Uv protection...clothing [Re: gander] #14347151 04/19/22 12:06 PM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by gander
Originally Posted by porta

I have had thoughts about its effectiveness for a while now but still use it at times for short periods. I have heard that buying above 50 spf protection is a waste of money. I spent over 30 years doing outside facility maintenance repair and support for SWBT, SBC and ATT with much sun/weather exposure. I have no skin issues as of yet and hope to keep it that way.

I've found sunscreen works best when applied the night before then again the morning you're headed out at least half hour before you get on the water. Also I use the cream. The spray just isn't that effective for me. Specifically I use Neutrogena. My eyes are sensitive and it's the only sunscreen that doesn't burn my eyes when I put it on my face. A buff alone without sunscreen doesn't keep my face or neck from getting sunburned unless I'm only on the water for a few hours which is rare. I fish mostly in the bay and wide brim hats aren't realistic most of the time with the winds.

You get out of it what you put into it!
Re: Uv protection...clothing [Re: gander] #14349980 04/22/22 06:13 PM
P
Patriot7Six Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
I like the Under Armour heat gear products with the built in hood. Has served me well in the summer and does a good job of keeping me cool. I usually get them from Academy.

Link

Fight the good fight - 1 Tim. 6:12 flag
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide