Print Thread
opinions #14344277 04/15/22 11:38 AM
S
skeetmaster Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
After being personally attacked and absolutely torched for my response to the Mississippi state record blue cat yesterday, I decided to publicly respond to the incident. I do not condone the harvesting of any catfish over 10 or 12 pounds. I have never condoned that and I wasn't condoning it in my response yesterday. Actually if you go back and read what I wrote, you'll see that I clearly stated my own personal opinion about that very thing.

Just because you see something, it doesn't mean that what you're seeing is all that is there.

None of us know the circumstances surrounding the fish that was caught. He could've done everything in his power to keep that fish alive. He could've caught it at 2 in the morning and kept it in the water until the morning hours and called someone who had a truck with a bathtub sized livewell in the back and helped him load it to get it to a certified scale. He could've steadily bathed it with fresh water every minute or two that it was out of the water. He could've had an oxygen tank and given that fish constant life support the entire time it was in his possession.

And the fish could've died.

In fact, that fish could've died during the 45 minutes it took to land it. We just don't know. That could've been the only catfish that man has ever been responsible for killing.

He also could be a guy that keeps everything that he catches. He's within his legal, moral, and ethical right to do so.

He could've also been my dad or my papaw. And if he was, I'd be as proud of him as any man could ever be, regardless of anyone else's opinion or standard.

If I've spent my entire life fishing and when I'm 70 or 80 years old, I catch a fish that's 30 pounds heavier than the state record and I want to keep it, then that's my God given right to do so.

It's also my God given right to not be judged by another man.

You know, we all have a right to our own opinion. We have a right to express that opinion. We have a right to disagree with other peoples opinions. It's one of the things that makes this the greatest country in the world, in my opinion.

What we don't have a right to do is attack other people for any opinion, standard or moral that doesn't reflect our own. If you want to respectfully disagree with me, please do so. I'll listen to you, I'll defend my position, and we can knock back a cold one together. And remain friends.

But don't attack me. If you swing on me you better be ready for the right cross that's coming quickly back at you. Because I also have a right to defend myself. Another beautiful thing about our country.

I was told that there are no "high level" anglers left on TFF and now I know why!

Matthew 7:3-5

New International Version

3 “Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: opinions [Re: skeetmaster] #14344414 04/15/22 01:57 PM
O
oakpointaggie Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
What would be more impactful for the ability of a body of water to produce a record catfish - the fishing harvest regulations of previous years or a few guys lobbying not to keep big cats on a forum that 99% of fishermen don't see? I personally don't keep anything over 10 -15 lbs typically but I also rarely get to fish so my impact is probably about the average fisherman. I doubt this body of water has only produced one big catfish. I would suspect there is a large gradient of sizes of cats from the record down. Maybe I don't understand.. Change my mind.

Re: opinions [Re: skeetmaster] #14344454 04/15/22 02:42 PM
Bluecat Bob Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Well said, Geno.

I posted my skunk trip up yesterday, and already over 200 views so apparently the forum folks must be doing something right.

I haven’t killed a single fish since I have been cat’n, but that’s more to do with the fact that my long suffering wife can’t stand me butchering them in ‘her’ kitchen - hah!

As soon as I start to judge others that do, a rock mysteriously shows up in my eye.

Retired from the grind and enjoying life and the great outdoors ### Formerly Texas Brit ###
Re: opinions [Re: skeetmaster] #14344502 04/15/22 03:32 PM
Catfish Tim Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Geno, you are a good man. If you get torched for expressing an opinion welcome to the world of keyboard warriors. Too many guys sitting in their mom's basement eating hot pockets and spewing virtual hate. Saying things they would never have the stones to say to your face. Ignore them. They aren't worth your energy. Stay positive, keep your good attitude and stay in the light.

Romans 8:1

GB & TL

Catfish Tim
🐟🐟"If it doesn't have whiskers, it's just bait"🐟🐟

Re: opinions [Re: skeetmaster] #14344726 04/15/22 10:11 PM
J
J.P. Greeson Online Content
the janitor
Online Content
the janitor
J
The problem with the internet is sometimes it becomes more about winning a debate than the actual facts. You have to let that stuff slide like water off a duck's back. I agree with you and the same applies to most species of fish. I like to keep the smaller ones and leave the big fish, but I won't chastise anyone who chooses to keep a legal fish I would not. It is their right and it's the law. If we are having a friendly conversation and if the opportunity presents itself, I'll explain why I think bigger fish should be left in the lake.

I also don't think most people are going to get in another man's face about a legal fish they think should have gone back in the lake. But they sure will on social media. grin

The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

[Linked Image]
Re: opinions [Re: skeetmaster] #14344880 04/16/22 01:41 AM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Skeetmaster; your posts are always thoughtful, honest opinions that take into consideration other view points and don't disparage or demean other people or groups. I've enjoyed your banter and good nature. And I certainly agree with your position of not putting others down for fishing legally.

I would suggest that if a person wants to engage in conversation and try to get a point across, listening to the other person is the best starting point. Listen and identify common ground and agree on those things. At that point the other person is most likely to listen to a different opinion. Disparaging other anglers at the get go is probably not going to change minds.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: opinions [Re: skeetmaster] #14344972 04/16/22 05:11 AM
S
skeetmaster Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Thank you all for your encouragement. I can't wait for all this wind to stop so we can all get back to fishing and sharing what works and what doesn't! I'm hoping to get on the water next week and get a little action in!

Re: opinions [Re: skeetmaster] #14345573 04/17/22 10:20 AM
J
jackiekennedyfishingguide Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
Once the knife hits em they cease to grow.
I've tried to promote the CPR of big fish for over 20+ years but to some it has no meaning. I could have single handedly took Cedar Creek Lake Trophy blue cat to a very low level catching and releasing over 100 big blues every winter.
After so many years I've about give up and now don't give a rats petunia what anyone else does.

903-603-3793
Clients or I have landed eight state record fish and eighteen water body records.
TPWD Elite Angler
[Linked Image]
jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: opinions [Re: skeetmaster] #14345576 04/17/22 10:27 AM
Catfish Tim Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Jackie, you can change some minds, but some you can't. The CPR issue is the most poarizing thing in catfishing. I am committed to preserving big fish and I do it to preserve the sport I love for future generations. Some guys don't see it that way. Life is too short to get upset about other people not thinking the same way you do...

The Rat's Petunia is safe with me! lol...

Catfish Tim
🐟🐟"If it doesn't have whiskers, it's just bait"🐟🐟

Re: opinions [Re: skeetmaster] #14345852 04/17/22 04:28 PM
K
KEGracing Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
K
Geno,

Don't let the buzzards get you down! You know what I really think about them, but with the politically correct world we are in, I can't even type it here.

Seriously, as Tim said, too many spoiled want to be adults living in a computer want to be world, wearing their superman underware, feeding off their parents and the public. Screw em!

I work hard at the CPR for big fish. Will continue it. Had my 80 yr old Dad and 15 yr old son out last couple of days, hunting and fishing. Pray that pattern can continue for years and generations to come!

Happy Easter all

Ken

2014 Premier Alante 235 RF tritoon. Momma's boat. But I get to fish on her.

A country boy will survive... but those who cross him?

Cedar Creek personal best:
Blue Cat 31.55 lbs
Hybrid 6.2 lbs
Crappie 2.1 lbs
Tennessee River Blue 45.7
Re: opinions [Re: skeetmaster] #14346847 04/18/22 09:32 PM
H
huntfish308 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
I've been on the Texas Hunting Forum for over a decade and I see the same thing over there. Like it's been said before. Wanna be and keyboard warriors are the whole problem. They've probably never been held accountable for anything and would most likely piss down their legs if they had to deal with people face to face.

God does not charge time spent fishing against a man’s allotted life span. “Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers,” Herbert Hoover. “I spent most of my money on fishing. The rest I wasted,” Author Unknown.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide