Page 1 of 2 1 2
Exciting times #14340230 04/11/22 02:14 AM
L
lconn4 Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
L

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: Exciting times [Re: lconn4] #14340341 04/11/22 12:26 PM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
That's one way to get some views

You get out of it what you put into it!
Re: Exciting times [Re: lconn4] #14340348 04/11/22 12:30 PM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Probably a good thing he didn't have his rod leashed. Should have that paddle leashed though.

Re: Exciting times [Re: lconn4] #14340711 04/11/22 06:39 PM
L
lconn4 Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
L
I can relate... roflmao Had three direct hits by sharks over the years that should have knocked me over... one that knocked the front of my kayak completely out of the water and 90 degrees from the direction I was headed. If it hadn't been for sheer luck that I came down at the perfect angle that compressed my center of gravity into the seat in midair, I'd have been swimming. Once got knocked almost completely on to sand bank when I got scared at night and paddled kayak up against shoreline in fear of getting hit by sharks that were in a feeding frenzy, the shark torpedoed me when it pinned all the bait against my kayak. Paddled back to launch and went home without ever making a cast. Then once when a leopard ray was following in my shadow created by kayak as a monster shark had to go under my kayak in shallow water to attack ray on the other side of kayak..

[Linked Image]

This picture above was from area of the everglades where it happened each time. This one wasn't even trying to hit me.. just curious and pizzed off and made three quick circles coming within inches of me each time...

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.

Re: Exciting times [Re: lconn4] #14340887 04/11/22 10:02 PM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I think one direct hit would probably cure me from offshore kayak fishing

Re: Exciting times [Re: lconn4] #14341167 04/12/22 03:16 AM
I
IslandJim Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
I
Jerry: The video wasn't enough to cure you? Prof. Salt had a similar occurence with a kingfish and a Great White off of Corpus. I was anchored off Hog Island in Aransas Bay and had a trout on a stringer, and I saw a grey shape about 4 feet long swim right by my skiff. I saw a black mark on it's tail. No noise. The stringer didn't tighten up. I pulled the stringer up and had a trout head on it! Chomp! A Blacktip Shark just bit the trout off without making any noise or commotion. I told my neighbors, "That's why I don't wadefish!"

IslandJim

I'm an Eighth Day Adventist. On the Eighth Day, God went fishing!
Re: Exciting times [Re: lconn4] #14341192 04/12/22 04:48 AM
L
lconn4 Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
L
A couple of buddies and I were camped out on a small island out of Chokolosskee, Everglades.. One of the guys was just starting out kayaking and fishing salt water for the first time. He had brought an old crappie basket that used to be popular to hold fish. We put three nice red fish and a couple of trout in it and tied it to a stump at the water line. Were going to clean them a little later as we had all returned from fishing. Snap... we hear the stump limb break off and I swear a big bull shark had taken the whole basket in its mouth and you could see the weirdest strained water as that basket sped through just under the surface. No fish for supper that night. roflmao

Re: Exciting times [Re: lconn4] #14341319 04/12/22 01:01 PM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by IslandJim
Jerry: The video wasn't enough to cure you? Prof. Salt had a similar occurence with a kingfish and a Great White off of Corpus. I was anchored off Hog Island in Aransas Bay and had a trout on a stringer, and I saw a grey shape about 4 feet long swim right by my skiff. I saw a black mark on it's tail. No noise. The stringer didn't tighten up. I pulled the stringer up and had a trout head on it! Chomp! A Blacktip Shark just bit the trout off without making any noise or commotion. I told my neighbors, "That's why I don't wadefish!"

IslandJim

You'd think it'd be enough Jim but guess I'm just silly enough to head out when conditions get right. I know it can happen to me. Playing the odds I guess. I have seen that video of Prof Salt. KillerBee also has a video where he was fishing and caught what probably would have easily been a new state record kingfish. Got it to the side of the kayak and a hammerhead (prof Salt said that hammer was probably 10') came up and bit over half of it off. Good video to watch! https://youtu.be/mkVzA7F4bzA

Originally Posted by lconn4
A couple of buddies and I were camped out on a small island out of Chokolosskee, Everglades.. One of the guys was just starting out kayaking and fishing salt water for the first time. He had brought an old crappie basket that used to be popular to hold fish. We put three nice red fish and a couple of trout in it and tied it to a stump at the water line. Were going to clean them a little later as we had all returned from fishing. Snap... we hear the stump limb break off and I swear a big bull shark had taken the whole basket in its mouth and you could see the weirdest strained water as that basket sped through just under the surface. No fish for supper that night. roflmao

Dang. Not sure what I'm more surprised about the fact that the shark took off with the entire basket or he was actually using an old crappie basket in the salt eeks

Re: Exciting times [Re: lconn4] #14341944 04/12/22 10:25 PM
C
christian myrick Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Looks like a great time to drop the big bait!!! Hahaha

Re: Exciting times [Re: lconn4] #14342003 04/12/22 11:20 PM
L
lconn4 Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
L
I wished we could have seen what happened after the video stops.. noticed when he went over that his center hatch wasn't secured and he had to of taken on a lot of water inside kayak hull. A little later in video after he is contemplating what just happened, he shifts his weight and you see him jump as if startled. I'm betting that water inside hull shifted and scared him again. If he got even 5 or 6 gallons of water in hull, that's like a 40 lb bowling ball constantly rolling from one side of yak to the other.

Back to things I think would have helped, most experienced paddles would always have their paddle in their lap, at the ready... always... unless you're taking a leak. roflmao He saw fish coming, just like if you saw a boat coming at you, yet he made no attempt to brace for impact or move. His paddle was tethered and floating beside kayak the whole time. I was taught differently. Oh well, learning from others mistakes are less costly. roflmao

Re: Exciting times [Re: lconn4] #14342018 04/12/22 11:32 PM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
There's a guy I watch on YouTube that does offshore kayak fishing (that kayak fisho I believe). He also fishes out of a Stealth and every time he is reeling in a fish he flips open that center hatch and I crinch for that reason. No doubt that guy had a good amount of water in his hatch. I've had a bunch of water get in the hull of.my yak and it's crazy how little control you have on the kayak when that happens.

I honestly store my paddle every time I'm fighting a fish inshore or offshore. For me it gets too chaotic trying to wrangle the paddle while landing a fish. I like to get the paddle out of the way. Just not where I can't get to it.

Good thing was he was in a kayak he could easily flip over.

Re: Exciting times [Re: lconn4] #14342038 04/12/22 11:48 PM
L
lconn4 Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
L
[Linked Image]

Old photo of me fighting a tarpon... paddle in lap, extra rod laid down on deck. Any of the saltwater jumping fish can have your line wrap around any rods in rod holders behind you.. if that happens you are skrewd! I wasn't wearing my pfd.. my bad. Always wear one now. roflmao

Re: Exciting times [Re: lconn4] #14342297 04/13/22 11:52 AM
C
christian myrick Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
The stealth has a double hull. I have the same yak. Not saying the water splashing around wouldn't be abnormal but I always have my fish bag and ice, tackle, fish etc in there with no problems. The way his paddle is attached is under a bungie on the bow of kayak. What was impressive was how fast he got back in. In that kayak it can be tough. For the record I never leash anything ever. He opened his center hatch to put his catch in. Most guys make a single bungie to hold hatch closed, what comes with the yak is 2 straps that can be a smidge of a challenge to get undone when your fighting a fish. I bet his gaff was in there too.

Re: Exciting times [Re: christian myrick] #14342319 04/13/22 12:41 PM
J
Jerry713 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted by christian myrick
The stealth has a double hull. I have the same yak. Not saying the water splashing around wouldn't be abnormal but I always have my fish bag and ice, tackle, fish etc in there with no problems. The way his paddle is attached is under a bungie on the bow of kayak. What was impressive was how fast he got back in. In that kayak it can be tough. For the record I never leash anything ever. He opened his center hatch to put his catch in. Most guys make a single bungie to hold hatch closed, what comes with the yak is 2 straps that can be a smidge of a challenge to get undone when your fighting a fish. I bet his gaff was in there too.

Christian I was fishing in the bay a few years ago for redfish. It was crazy with reds everywhere. I had caught a red and while I was unhooking it here came another one swimming right towards the kayak. I unhooked the fish, flipped out and caught the other red. While fighting that red the red in my kayak (in a dip net) flopped out of the kayak and started swimming off with my net. Things got a little interesting for a few minutes lol. The wind was of course blowing like it does most days down there. I landed the other red and had to measure them to make sure they were not over slot. I sat there for a few minutes and finally realized my paddle was gone. I did eventually see it but it was probably 50 yards across this back lake. I didn't have it leashed and during the excitement the paddle fell out of the kayak and floated off. I tried walking to it since the water was only 2 feet deep but mud was another 2 feet deep lol. I ended up having to pull myself along the weeds at the shoreline and eventually made it to my paddle. After all the pulling and trying to walk in the mud I was spent! If I had been in an open area I would have been SOL. Now I always leash my paddle (not my rods just paddle) and I keep a spare paddle in the front hatch.

Re: Exciting times [Re: lconn4] #14342350 04/13/22 01:09 PM
C
christian myrick Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
I also keep a spare paddle. No leash but the million times I've flipped out of my yak I keep my paddle. Lol, I've had to swim back to shore but I keep my paddle. Hahahaha

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide