Forums59
Topics1,039,206
Posts13,960,963
Members144,196
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Tournament cancellations and delays [Re: Mark Perry] #14337279 04/07/22 03:02 PM
M
Michael.Beaty Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted by Mark Perry
It's just fishing it should not be life or death. I am pretty secure in my manhood. I don't have to run big waves in high winds to prove anything.

I have no issues when a trail errs on the side of safety.

Happy birthday.
I have nothing to prove as well just because I’m comfortable to an extent in big water does not mean I suggest people to go run it. I’ve called myself stupid plenty of times for going out in too much wind.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Tournament cancellations and delays [Re: Michael.Beaty] #14337298 04/07/22 03:22 PM
Chris B Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I grew up on Texoma myself. Fished a tournament years ago with a similar forecast. There were three boats sank that day that I know of. I had to leave my boat tied up to a dock and had someone come pick me up and carried my fish in a five gallon bucket to weigh in by car. Since that day I have learned not to question when a tournament director has to make the hard decision to cancel.

[Linked Image]
I hate photobucket.
Re: Tournament cancellations and delays [Re: Chris B] #14337303 04/07/22 03:25 PM
M
Michael.Beaty Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted by Chris B
I grew up on Texoma myself. Fished a tournament years ago with a similar forecast. There were three boats sank that day that I know of. I had to leave my boat tied up to a dock and had someone come pick me up and carried my fish in a five gallon bucket to weigh in by car. Since that day I have learned not to question when a tournament director has to make the hard decision to cancel.

I read the forecast wrong last year and put myself in a similar situation. As soon as I got back on the trailer I told myself I’d never go out again with a chance of 30+ That requires running. I’m not disagreeing with any tournaments decision to cancel any event.

Re: Tournament cancellations and delays [Re: Michael.Beaty] #14337314 04/07/22 03:37 PM
S
SRitchey Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Global warming bolt

Steve

1999 ChampioN 203 - 2011 250hp Mercury Optimax Pro XS
2-10" Helix & 1-10" Garmin Livescope Plus - Ultrex 36/112

Re: Tournament cancellations and delays [Re: Michael.Beaty] #14337318 04/07/22 03:39 PM
Outdoordude Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Weather is part of the puzzle but there's no need to force events, especially professional level, to proceed when severe weather (25-30+ mph winds on big water certainly qualify as severe) is certain. They can more easily push the event back a day or two, reduce the total number of days without compromising the event or really hurting the participants' work schedule.

Tougher call at the amateur level; not all can easily fish Sunday rather than Saturday with last-minute notice and rescheduling to another weekend is a massive pita for all involved.

Not sure what's guiding the increase in postponing/cancelling frequency though; whether it's pressure from participants, insurance providers, tournament organizations trying to be more careful or afraid of something happening under their watch. The later weighs on me heavily every time I host an event.

Scott Jones
Re: Tournament cancellations and delays [Re: Outdoordude] #14337331 04/07/22 03:48 PM
M
Michael.Beaty Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted by Outdoordude
Weather is part of the puzzle but there's no need to force events, especially professional level, to proceed when severe weather (25-30+ mph winds on big water certainly qualify as severe) is certain. They can more easily push the event back a day or two, reduce the total number of days without compromising the event or really hurting the participants' work schedule.

Tougher call at the amateur level; not all can easily fish Sunday rather than Saturday with last-minute notice and rescheduling to another weekend is a massive pita for all involved.

Not sure what's guiding the increase in postponing/cancelling frequency though; whether it's pressure from participants, insurance providers, tournament organizations trying to be more careful or afraid of something happening under their watch. The later weighs on me heavily every time I host an event.

I agree with the amateur side I normally work mon-Sat so I have to use vacation days to plan even one day weekend events. It’s rough when events get canceled.

Re: Tournament cancellations and delays [Re: Michael.Beaty] #14337375 04/07/22 04:18 PM
R
redhornet Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I was attending a Advanced wildland firefighting class and the largest part of the class was weather, specifically fire weather. The class was given by the Head Meteorologist from the national weather service in Shreveport, we had a lengthy discussion about why the wind is actually much higher on large inland reservoirs than it is away from the lake. The Meteorologist said that several of his peers were avid anglers and had discovered the same issue and done research and issued a scientific paper discussing the phenomenon.

Their findings were that the trees lining the bank actually funnel the wind that is increased as a result of temperature inversions caused by big differences in air temperature and water temperature. This is also influenced by the direction of the wind (whether it is blowing across the tunnel or down the tunnel) the forecast you are reading does not take this phenomenon into account and is inaccurate for the lake. Some of the more knowledgeable tournament directors know this and take it into account and make decisions to try and keep you and the person who has to come save you safe.

Tournament fishing at lower to moderate levels certainly cannot be as much of an extreme sport as some would like because of several factors, Skill of the driver, cost of damaged equipment, liability of death caused by holding a sporting event in clearly dangerous conditions. Where the anglers sign a release volunteer and citizen rescuers do not.

Re: Tournament cancellations and delays [Re: Michael.Beaty] #14337381 04/07/22 04:24 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Originally Posted by Michael.Beaty
It's just fishing it should not be life or death. I am pretty secure in my manhood. I don't have to run big waves in high winds to prove anything.

Happy birthday.
I have nothing to prove as well just because I’m comfortable to an extent in big water does not mean I suggest people to go run it. I’ve called myself stupid plenty of times for going out in too much wind.

I was speaking in general not directly to you. There are a lot of people out there that think it shows balls to run and fish in crazy winds. I have personally never understood that myself.

Re: Tournament cancellations and delays [Re: Michael.Beaty] #14337473 04/07/22 05:29 PM
buda13 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Way to many cancellations these days, all it takes is the mention of ice in the Oklahoma panhandle. roflmao

Seriously though, 20-30 with gust pushing 40 is a no doubter on big Tex.

Re: Tournament cancellations and delays [Re: Michael.Beaty] #14337474 04/07/22 05:29 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
[Linked Image]

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Tournament cancellations and delays [Re: Michael.Beaty] #14337510 04/07/22 05:49 PM
S
Slide_R Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
It may be insurance and it may be the boat companies. People tend to think they can do what the pros do in there boats and in doing so might be creating more warranty issues or lawsuits based on boat failure. I am glad to see a more common sense approach by the pros. Additionally, because they have to make decisions in advance, TD's are subject to forecasts that may be accurate or wrong.

Robert Oleson
aka Slide_R

Re: Tournament cancellations and delays [Re: Michael.Beaty] #14337534 04/07/22 06:05 PM
D
David Burton Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
D
For the most part I believe what we are seeing is chickens coming home to roost. The tournament organizations were lucky for a long time making choices that allowed people to endanger themselves. Yes, one can fish the lake, but too many won't adjust their styles to the conditions.

Think about everyone else that is involved in this deal, not just one boat driver. Today was a no brainer to cancel. But again, it comes down to reaction to recent deaths that they really started looking at the overall safety picture for cancelations or postponements.

Last edited by David Burton; 04/07/22 06:09 PM. Reason: Typos on phone keypad

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Re: Tournament cancellations and delays [Re: Mark Perry] #14337535 04/07/22 06:08 PM
James Niggemeyer Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

+1

Bass Fishing Guide and Instructional Coaching service
www.jamesniggemeyer.com
903-312-0780
https://www.facebook.com/JamesNiggemeyerAngler
Re: Tournament cancellations and delays [Re: Michael.Beaty] #14337539 04/07/22 06:10 PM
J
J.H.S. Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
People aren't smart enough to govern themselves so they have to rely on somebody else to do it for them. You say you don't want big government, yet many of your votes say differently.

Live Daringly, Boldy, and Fearlessly....Embrace the Challenge So That You May Feel the Exhiliration of Victory.

Re: Tournament cancellations and delays [Re: James Niggemeyer] #14337540 04/07/22 06:10 PM
Brent S Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by James Niggemeyer

+1

+2

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide