texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,901
Posts13,955,031
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Humminbird Helix Boat Heading Issue? #14318141 03/17/22 01:33 PM
T
Tx Tree Grower Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
I have a helix 10 on my bow that is having issues. I works fine after turning it on, but after some time the boat icon stops moving. The heading line will still point in the direction of travel but the boat icon does not. Anyone ever had this issue? The graph is hooked to a heading sensor. If you restart the graph it will work fine for a while and then starts the process all over again. When this issue first started it was just every now and then. Now it happens 3-4 times a day. Very frustrating when fishing offshore. Everything else on the graph, sonar, 360, etc seem to work fine. Just wondering if anyone else has ever dealt with this issue?

Re: Humminbird Helix Boat Heading Issue? [Re: Tx Tree Grower] #14318280 03/17/22 03:27 PM
W
Wayne P. Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
W
What are you calling the "Heading Line"?

The Coarse Projection Line is Lime Green and only turns on if traveling .6 mph or higher. It is turned off when going slower since GPS cannot calculate direction below .6 mph.

The Heading Line has to be turned on to be displayed and it is Purple. Also when a Heading Sensor is connected, it controls the position icon (boat symbol) and the added Heading Line projects forward of the bow of the icon.

IF the Heading Sensor (magnetic compass) is affected by ferrous metals, magnets, or high current, it won't function correctly.

Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G3N and G4N, 1198c SI, SOLIX 10 SI G3,
Helix 8 MEGA SI+ GPS G4N, SOLIX 12 SI and G3, MEGA 360, MEGA LIVE TL, RC-1
Re: Humminbird Helix Boat Heading Issue? [Re: Tx Tree Grower] #14318413 03/17/22 05:32 PM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
I have both lines turned on . The heading line (purple) points in the correct direction. The green line points in the correct direction when moving. The boat icon does not. I I have my setting as heading up. When the boat icon freezes it does not function as heading up. So for instance if I'm fishing a brush pile directly in front of the boat, the heading line is pointing straight at the brush pile, but the boat icon is not and the map will be frozen. When I restart, all works as designed for a period of time. I have never had it stop working while up in the front of the boat fishing. It always happens after you stow the trolling motor, start the engine, and move spots.

Re: Humminbird Helix Boat Heading Issue? [Re: Tx Tree Grower] #14318420 03/17/22 05:37 PM
W
Wayne P. Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by Tx Tree Grower
I have both lines turned on . The heading line (purple) points in the correct direction. The green line points in the correct direction when moving. The boat icon does not. I I have my setting as heading up. When the boat icon freezes it does not function as heading up. So for instance if I'm fishing a brush pile directly in front of the boat, the heading line is pointing straight at the brush pile, but the boat icon is not and the map will be frozen. When I restart, all works as designed for a period of time. I have never had it stop working while up in the front of the boat fishing. It always happens after you stow the trolling motor, start the engine, and move spots.

Where is the antenna and did you check for magnetic interference BEFORE you placed it there?
Are you using the Head-Up Chart Orientation?
Do you freeze the Chart View by pushing the 4-way button and then EXIT after you do that?

Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G3N and G4N, 1198c SI, SOLIX 10 SI G3,
Helix 8 MEGA SI+ GPS G4N, SOLIX 12 SI and G3, MEGA 360, MEGA LIVE TL, RC-1
Re: Humminbird Helix Boat Heading Issue? [Re: Wayne P.] #14423157 07/18/22 04:02 PM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Still fighting this issue. The heading sensor is by the trolling motor. It was mounted there by the dealership before I purchased the boat in 2018. So I have never personally checked for magnetic interference. I don't know how to check that. Never had this issue until the last few months. So if there is magnetic interference it was never an issue before now. Yes the chart is set as heading up. I don't freeze the chart but I have tried everything to get it to "unfreeze" when it does it. Change heading, hit exit, standby device. Only thing that makes it stop doing this is a restart.

Saturday I moved my helix 10 that was at the console to the front and moved my helix 10 that was up front to the console. Trying to see if I potentially had a graph issue. After about an hour at the bow the boat icon and head up froze on that graph as well. So it does not appear to be an issue with the actual graph. Both graphs work properly at the console. The heading / map freezes on both units when at the bow. So I guess I'm down to a sometimes bad heading sensor or maybe a power issue. I have no idea if the wire to the front graph is a dedicated wire to the battery. I suspect that it is not since I had to add dedicated wiring to the console graphs. Everything else on the bow unit (besides the map) works properly. 2d sonar, 360, down imaging all work fine with no issues. Maybe one of these day I can get this figured out.

Re: Humminbird Helix Boat Heading Issue? [Re: Tx Tree Grower] #14436677 08/01/22 08:36 PM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
So hopefully I have this situation resolved. Went through all my settings and somehow the heading sensor had reverted back to the internal heading sensor in the bow unit. Changed it back to the external heading sensor and it has worked on two trips now. It was losing heading 5-6 times every trip so I'm hoping this issue is resolved.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide