Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: ntgolfandfish] #14307244 03/07/22 06:42 PM
F
Fishbonz Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted by ntgolfandfish
Searsay, thanks for the response. Hopefully it won't get too overcrowded, its such an awesome creek. But given the limited bank fishing areas and paid access to TC park and kinda scary looking route for bigger boats, it makes sense there won't be tons of people.

As for the 377 bridge, I was hoping there was a way to actually drive a truck down to the creek underneath the 377 bridge and then launch a kayak from there. But I guess this isn't possible? Google maps shows an access road just west of the train tracks, but when I drove by the entry to that road there was a gate there (assumed it was locked, looked like private land). I really don't want to park at the Knob Hills Bike Trail parking area and then carry/roll my kayak down to the creek under 377, or launch from Marshall Creek boat ramp and then kayak all the way down to 377 (that is a LOOOOONG kayak ride?). Like I said, I only went maybe one-third of the way from Marshall Creek boat ramp to the 377 bridge, and that took about 1 hour on a pedal kayak. Surely there are fish to be found somewhere along the way.

When I was out, the water felt pretty chilly. Anyone know the latest water temp? I'm going back again this weekend and will pick up a thermostat. I've read 55 to 60 degrees is the sweet spot for sand bass spawning.

From Marshall Ramp to 377 bridge is 4miles up the creek.... according to Google Earth. I don`t own a Kayak only a bass Raider type boat but I always use the "Google Earth Ruler" when I decide to take a trip up a creek or river in it just to know how far I have to travel to my destination. It`s kind of a "Know before you Go" type thing with me. It`s a very neat tool that give several ways of measuring distances from Centimeters to Smoots with Kilometers & Nautical Miles in between.It also has a "Historical Imagery Slider" that allows you to scroll back in history and take a look at a creek,river or lake when it was low to look for hazzards. for example the concrete wall hazzard up Denton creek is clearly visible & as plain as day if you scroll back to 10/2014 using the slider. Don`t take my word for it check it out and see

Last edited by Fishbonz; 03/07/22 07:07 PM.

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: ntgolfandfish] #14307336 03/07/22 07:53 PM
P
prosise Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Originally Posted by ntgolfandfish
Originally Posted by prosise
To early, need a couple weeks. Most of the creek is a ghost town.

Thanks for the report and video. Ya that concrete wall is a serious obstruction, I'm surprised there isn't a danger sign nearby. Luckily one of the kayakers warned me before I got to the area.

In your video, that flowing water seems to be key. I don't know how deep it goes underneath the flow, but the fish seemed to be staged there waiting for baitfish. I saw shad and minnows flipping here and there.

Did you catch the water temperature? I couldn't find a water temp sensor at Academy.

Warmest water was above Henrietta Hole at 65 f, and it slowly dropped as i went down. Think it was 61ish at the gravel step.

Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: prosise] #14308191 03/08/22 01:51 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Me and Mason parked at that small spot that I mentioned along 377, just north of tractor supply. As you head north on 377 you really have to look for the small road that drops off into the parking lot. We eased down the incline and stayed as close to the right going down and had no problem. If you favor the left there is a hump that might cause you to high center. Anyhoo, this ia the first time we have ever walked into the creek from this area. Was easy, and thetrail is not bad. Not an area for shorts, the vines with sharp prickly points are everywhere and tey to trip you regularly. Spooked about 5 pigs and was cool ro see them, mason was a little scared since I have told him about some of my night vision trips. We walked into the gravel step and was delighted to see a fly fisherman working down stream. The rain from sunday night has the water slightly stained. We caught about 12 between us from 440-5:50pm. Didn't catch one fish on the tiny trap, all on white and chartreuse worns with a (paddle tail or curly tail). All bumping the bottom. I took a crappie pole and doodle socked many of the edges but not one bite, that suprised me. I guess the reaction bite was the key. I walked in with boots, and changed into chaco sandals to i could cross the shallow water to fish other areas on the weat side. Mason enjoyed the excursion, and we learned some new areas to access the creek. Got a suprise when we got back to the parking area. There was a real nice red Honda car parked next to me, and I would say that I wouldn't expect to see a car here. But they proved that if you are careful you can get into this parking area. When we drove out we favored the inside and had no problems getting out.

Only one big fish caught and it was in the pool above the step, i told mason that i was going to chance it and if i got hung up so be it. Just slowly bumped the bottom favoring the gravel edge on the deep pool got me one good fish before we left. Prob 12", but it wasn't a female.

Take care all, not fishing for sandbass for a couple weeks. Im headed south to chase the green fish down south

Prosise

Last edited by prosise; 03/08/22 01:53 PM.
Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: prosise] #14309443 03/09/22 04:01 AM
M
Man under the round hat. Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Went by the bridge and hiking park . The water is still grey and cloudy but showing sings of clearing on the edges.

Landed two sandies in abut and hour and a half.

Still needs some rain to wash out the clouds I guess.

it seems every fish is a hybrid until its landed.

see also is it a hybrid / I think its a hybrid
Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: prosise] #14309758 03/09/22 03:28 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
I personally wouldn't fish the 377 bridge, its a trap. With the low water there are many suprises down under the 377 bridge. Looks like people have been dumping large items (trash) in the parking lot . Also, there is a boat sticking out of the water down in the shallows, where it came from who knows. This year is going to be a challenge, but the fish will be more concentrated in areas. If you do fish the 377 bridge, find a way to access the south side under the bridge. This bank has rocks and a rock ledge. Every time i would come down, i would try and bump the rocks here and about 50% of the time i could pick up a fish on the first or second cast. Here is a tip for you guys who hate loosing baits. Keep your eyes peeled for one of those long poles used in pool cleaning. The telescoping long aluminum pole. I found one on trash day in my area, and it has prob saved me 500 dollars this year on crankbaits alone. I drilled some holes in the end, and built a rats nest of heavy mono and braided fishing line. When i go up the creek I always keep it in the canoe for lures in trees, and to recover the tiny-trap if she gets hung up. As crazy as it sounds, the tiny-trap is a 5$ lure that Stings when lost. The pole stays in the bass boat, and is my "long-grabby-thing" when i spot a lure.

Right now, if you can use a single jig bumping on the bottom your most likely to pick up something. There are many ways to make a jig weedless, you can get on YouTube and find several posts to add a weed guard to your jig. If you bump your line up to 10lb braided you can typically bend the hook out. With the water color, line color isn't a factor right now. A slip bobber isn't a bad idea to cover water, without getting hung up. Don't waste your time with cast nets, bait (shad) haven't moved up yet. There are minnows up there, but they are very small. If you bring some minnows you might be rewarded. Wouldn't bother with catfish unless your using a boat. If you have to get out, and 377 bridge is your only option Walk up to where the concrete wall was highlighted in the earlier posts. This wall is at the top of a rocky curve in the creek. And if you walk down from the 377 bridge fish near the old bridge that was removed. If you can get to the south side of the old bridge you can cast parallel to the rocks, and this side of the creek has much more water with rocks.

But if you park and access the upper areas of the creek, you will have a better time. I took a small machete with me a couple days ago. When me and mason were walking in I knocked down some of those long prickly vines that like to reach out and grab your leg. High top boots with laces are recommended, as some of the banks you go down to access the water are near vertical. Digging into the soil with your heel makes it easy work.

Lastly, anyone who carries out trash this year. Post your fishing pics and a shot of the trash. Good ethical behavior is contagious, and you will be rewarded. I will prob gift something to a few people this year for going the extra mile. I fill the canoe when I go up, the rains bring all kinds of trash. I have a 5 gallon bucket full of bobbers right now. Don't know what to do with them, but I am considering a prank on a fellow fisherman..

About to head out and go chase the green ghost, god bless you all. Many Blessings, and good health to you.. I pray every time i go out, and I am not afraid to admit it.

Take care and looking forward to the run. Prob will start heavy closer to March 18 (full moon), this seems to be the big trigger.

Prosise

South side below 377 bridge (rocky edge)
[Linked Image]

Above 377 rocky bank

[Linked Image]

Below the 377 bridge
[Linked Image]

Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: prosise] #14313750 03/12/22 11:37 PM
K
KidKrappie Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
K
Went out yesterday in the cold for a bit and caught 7 nice males. It was really slow for mid March.

Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: prosise] #14315165 03/14/22 04:33 PM
M
Man under the round hat. Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Went up there yesterday. Caught a total of 12 up and down that Creek. They shut off about one and I left. The water is still khaki cloudy but showing a little size of clearing up and there's a slight flow. Hopefully the storms today will really get the fish going

it seems every fish is a hybrid until its landed.

see also is it a hybrid / I think its a hybrid
Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: prosise] #14315222 03/14/22 05:16 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Mason wanted to go up the creek, so we went scouting in the canoe. I am never going to say no to him when he wants to get out. He has been getting bored catching fish and not going as much as he used to. So when he said "can we go up the creek?" I was all over that. He loves to fish, but really likes to fossil hunt like his Grandmother. He always comes home with a rock in his pocket, and yesterday was a good day.

As for the fishing report, it is still too early. Note: We saw shad at TC boat ramp when we launched, this is a good sign. We took the canoe all the way up to the step above the water treatment plant outlet creek. Nothing found above the step that is referenced in the earlier posts. There were a few people at the step and one guy had about a dozen keepers on the stringer, with one nice crappie. I caught about 4 fish right above the step but nothing up above marked in "RED" above that area all the way up to the next step. Will put a picture of where I stopped going up below. Had a good day, met a nice very lucky man out on the creek. (big red beard, thx for the visit). He had his better half with him fishing, and I love to see that. Think they discontinued that wife model, but you see them here and there. Mason found a shovel and he dug into the bank everywhere we stopped looking for "stuff". We came back down and stopped about 150 yards down from the first gravel step that is in all the previous posts. It was 4pm, and I changed over to a orange/yellow paddle tail since there was more shade in the water. I started picking up some fish, and surprisingly some big females. Think the shallow step might be stopping some fish from moving up, and they are staging down below near all the trees in the water. I was slowly bumping, and reeling up the shallow side of the creek. Caught one that was over 14 inches, and that was a big surprise. Not many fish up the creek right now, all the usual areas are a ghost town, but I think the step is so shallow the fish that are up already are holding below for some kind of trigger/switch to go off internally.. I cannot say that I have seen a big female up this early, with so few fish seen. Still not worth going up yet, in my opinion. I hated leaving when they were biting, but I didn't want to be in the canoe past dark. I got lucky on the spot I found, and that is the truth.. I would start fishing down from the step, and be prepared to get hung up allot. I was fishing thru small sticks, and logs in the water when i was catching fish.

Give it a couple weeks, and I think it will start to get better. Didn't see any fish caught anywhere below this area. Talked to many people on the way down, and only one man about halfway to the 377 bridge said he picked up 5. Walking into the areas above this spot is a waste of time right now.

Note: Google maps does not reflect what the creek really looks like, the picture below is real old when the creek was much deeper.

Safety: I want to remind anyone going up about a motor hazard. The concrete wall that crosses the creek is shallow, and you will hurt your motor. The picture below is from 2014 which shows what the wall looks like, it is about 1-2ft below the surface of the water right now.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The area highlighted in red is the dead sea... Nothing caught sampling this area.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 03/14/22 05:46 PM.
Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: prosise] #14315581 03/14/22 10:36 PM
K
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
K
I was out again today for the last time for a while. It is just not worth the effort there for me right now. I dropped the yak in a livescoped from 377 all the way to the steps and saw tons of bait but not a ton of sandies. As crazy as it sounds, I feel there are more crappie in the creek than white bass right now. I fished hard all the way down and had 4 sandies one of which was a big female. I caught the most sandies and crappie in one bend and they were holding tight to the bottom. Lots about 20 jigs today but it was worth it. The steps have not produced anything for me the 2 times I have tried and that tells me they aren't in there very good yet. Without a good rain, it may be slow going this year

Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: prosise] #14318666 03/17/22 09:30 PM
S
Sethmac Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Was planning a trip to Waco this year with a buddy in our kayaks, but need a plan B. We live in Keller. Is Denton creek the most accessible area for a kayak with kids with a hope of getting on sandbass or crappie?

Love to spend time in the stand or on the water...
Blog: https://www.reckonill.com
Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKaJ6P5FUfbY4tdPQaDphpw
Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: Sethmac] #14318767 03/17/22 11:13 PM
K
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
K
Originally Posted by Sethmac
Was planning a trip to Waco this year with a buddy in our kayaks, but need a plan B. We live in Keller. Is Denton creek the most accessible area for a kayak with kids with a hope of getting on sandbass or crappie?

Honestly, for how slow the bite is and how hard it is to drop a yak in here, I don't think there is anything easy about it.

Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: prosise] #14318873 03/18/22 01:04 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Ditto... Give it a couple weeks and give it a adult test run. Im heading south on monday for 10 days, but the full moon should turn things on. In 14 days it's going to be "on like donkey kong"..

Prosise

Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: Sethmac] #14321737 03/21/22 04:12 PM
N
ntgolfandfish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Originally Posted by Sethmac

Absolutely. I've lived and fished all over the DFW basically my whole life, but never heard of this place until a few weeks ago. It's really a gem of a spot and the kayaker's dream, really. My only complaint is that the whole creek really goes for a long ways, so pay attention to the maps posted here because it will really narrow down where to look depending on water level. Like the other folks said, fishing might be slow though. But it still might be worthwhile, I caught a handful a couple of weeks ago.

Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: prosise] #14325151 03/24/22 05:58 PM
D
DeetsnGus Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
D
I just moved back to the area and plan to fish Denton Creek over the next few weeks. Could anybody give me some advice on what conditions to look out for that to decide which days to try and fish?

Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: prosise] #14325330 03/24/22 08:57 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Go back and read from page one, if you dont see sand or gravel along the bank keep moving. Should be getting god up t the first step, the link in the previous posts will show you where this is. Im down in austin until next week, so good luck. And as for when to go, anytime is good. Wind is not a factor as the creek is protected.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide