Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Trotline Favorites #14303147 03/03/22 02:46 AM
1ShotNoKills Online Happy OP
TFF Guru
OP Online Happy
TFF Guru
Hello catfish section

I haven't ran trotlines in a few years. Going camping in a few weeks and decided to run some jug lines and trotlines with the kids.... I've lost my itch for the green fish I used to chase.

Just looking for general tips and tricks if you're willing to share. Favorite baits, rigs, setups etc...

Headed out to Martin Creek. I've caught them there over the years. Usually a trotline with bream, gold fish or tilapia we cast netted. (Is that even legal? Statue of limitations gotta be up by now)

Thanks

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Trotline Favorites [Re: 1ShotNoKills] #14304073 03/04/22 12:51 AM
Drycreek3189 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Brickmaker on here could give you some tips. I’ll tell him you’re looking.

Re: Trotline Favorites [Re: 1ShotNoKills] #14304111 03/04/22 01:24 AM
T
Tom Baty Offline
Angler
Angler
T
I'm a fan of cut shad, but worms can work as well. I've even used Magic Bait prepared baits and had pretty good luck. I'm usually targeting small blues, though (I like them for eating better than channel cats). Live baits like you mentioned will all work well for blues and flatheads.

I like one weight in the middle, but if it's an area you expect traffic or lots of bass fishermen, 2 weights closer to the two anchor trees can get that line down and out of the way.

If there's a steady, appreciable wind, I like to set my line on the upwind side of cover. Say there's a north wind and I'm setting on a section of submerged timber; I'll set on the north side of the timber. My thought is that the wind creates a current that'll carry the scent of my baits into that wooded section, but still be effective at fishing the edge, in case fish are running it. If it's a huge section of timber, just look for an area that juts into the cover and set there.

I'll sometimes do the exact opposite, though, if there's a hard barrier on the downwind side that creates a choke point. The situation I'm thinking of is a section of timber that ends a little before a section of riprap. I'll set in the trees there, even if it's on the downwind section of the cover, to catch fish that get squeezed through that narrowed area.

Be sure to check out the regulations on marking trotlines; you're required to have floats and tags.

If you're making a new line, I can't recommend the trotline clips enough. I pre-rig the trots on those clips, then hang them all on a 5-gallon bucket. It makes setting out and taking in a line much easier.

Best of luck; hope you and the kids have fun!

More stories at Texas Wild
Re: Trotline Favorites [Re: 1ShotNoKills] #14304122 03/04/22 01:47 AM
B
Brickmaker Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
If I were setting out line now I would try the hot water hole. Long boat ride from park but the area just outside of the cut where the warm waters from power plant is 15 ft and the creek is close to it. Find creek and then a bend in it. There will be plenty to tie to the lake about 2 ft low. Also go up in the hot water hole and under bridge and set line in the wooded area in those . Shrimp, cut bait and any kind of live bait. Usually can trap live bait up in the hot water hole near where water enter lake. Range cubics work well too if you hand fish. Lake temp will probably be in the 6
Low 60s. Jugs lines out front of dam can be good too 30 to 35 fow there. Good luck

Re: Trotline Favorites [Re: Brickmaker] #14304155 03/04/22 02:30 AM
TFF Guru
OP Online Happy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Brickmaker
If I were setting out line now I would try the hot water hole. Long boat ride from park but the area just outside of the cut where the warm waters from power plant is 15 ft and the creek is close to it. Find creek and then a bend in it. There will be plenty to tie to the lake about 2 ft low. Also go up in the hot water hole and under bridge and set line in the wooded area in those . Shrimp, cut bait and any kind of live bait. Usually can trap live bait up in the hot water hole near where water enter lake. Range cubics work well too if you hand fish. Lake temp will probably be in the 6
Low 60s. Jugs lines out front of dam can be good too 30 to 35 fow there. Good luck

Thanks

Re: Trotline Favorites [Re: Tom Baty] #14304156 03/04/22 02:30 AM
TFF Guru
OP Online Happy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Tom Baty
I'm a fan of cut shad, but worms can work as well. I've even used Magic Bait prepared baits and had pretty good luck. I'm usually targeting small blues, though (I like them for eating better than channel cats). Live baits like you mentioned will all work well for blues and flatheads.

I like one weight in the middle, but if it's an area you expect traffic or lots of bass fishermen, 2 weights closer to the two anchor trees can get that line down and out of the way.

If there's a steady, appreciable wind, I like to set my line on the upwind side of cover. Say there's a north wind and I'm setting on a section of submerged timber; I'll set on the north side of the timber. My thought is that the wind creates a current that'll carry the scent of my baits into that wooded section, but still be effective at fishing the edge, in case fish are running it. If it's a huge section of timber, just look for an area that juts into the cover and set there.

I'll sometimes do the exact opposite, though, if there's a hard barrier on the downwind side that creates a choke point. The situation I'm thinking of is a section of timber that ends a little before a section of riprap. I'll set in the trees there, even if it's on the downwind section of the cover, to catch fish that get squeezed through that narrowed area.

Be sure to check out the regulations on marking trotlines; you're required to have floats and tags.

If you're making a new line, I can't recommend the trotline clips enough. I pre-rig the trots on those clips, then hang them all on a 5-gallon bucket. It makes setting out and taking in a line much easier.

Best of luck; hope you and the kids have fun!

Thank you

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide