Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Opinions/Poll on Lithium Batteries #14292673 02/22/22 06:57 PM
Clark Reehm Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
I am currently working on a project about Lithium Marine Batteries. Please feel free to share your opinions on these questions as well as add anything else you might think is beneficial in deciding to purchase Lithium batteries for your boat or concerns you may have. Thank you for helping out and contributing.

1) Do you currently run Lithium Batteries in your boat? Brand? Cranking and/or trolling? Why did you select that brand?

2) What questions, concerns or issues do you have about purchasing Lithium batteries in the future? What brand are you looking at and why?

3) Honestly, how well do you understand battery science and other mechanical/chemical things as it relates to boats?

4) Are bells and whistles such as bluetooth monitoring, fancy gauges, depth finder interfacing etc.important to you and does it validate an increased price?

5) Is brand recognition important or do you believe most batteries are the same quality regardless of brand, packaging or advertising

6) Do you understand how battery warranties truly work?

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Opinions/Poll on Lithium Batteries [Re: Clark Reehm] #14292701 02/22/22 07:10 PM
Outlaw Outdoors Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
1) Yes. Only TM for now. It was the most reasonably priced on the market.
2) I’m hoping they last as long as advertised. I really don’t know anyone that’s had marine lithium batteries for more than 4-5 years.
3) I don’t know beans about them and don’t want to…just make my TM run all day and we are good.
4) I wouldn't pay much more for any included technology. When I’m on the water, I’m fishing. I don’t want to worry with how much charge my battery has. If I need to worry about it, then it’s not the product I want.
5) With the exception of some questionable brands that might be selling refurbished batteries, I think all batteries are created equal.
6) Read the fine print and you’ll realize a warranty isn’t as good as the bold text says. Once you get past 2-3 years, it’s prorated.

Another issue I see with lithium batteries is the lack of availability locally. If my Everstart/Continental/Interstate battery fails on me while at the lake, I can make a quick trip to the local Tackle shop or Wal Mart and exchange my battery. If I have lithium, I have to deal with the manufacturer. I’d like to see a dealer exchange lithium batteries or at least have a demo battery to get you back on the water.

Most regular chargers won’t charge a lithium battery. So not only do you have to incur the expense of the battery, but you will need a charger as well.

They sure do take a lot of weight out of your boat and allow you to have more room though!!

Re: Opinions/Poll on Lithium Batteries [Re: Clark Reehm] #14292712 02/22/22 07:23 PM
C
Chris G Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
C
1) Do you currently run Lithium Batteries in your boat? Brand? Cranking and/or trolling? Why did you select that brand?

Yes, Ionic 125 Ah Cranker and 3 x 50 Ah Trolling motor batteries. I chose Ionic after researching high and low and more specifically went with them because they had what I found was the only cranking lithium battery at the time.

2) What questions, concerns or issues do you have about purchasing Lithium batteries in the future? What brand are you looking at and why?

N/A since these should last a long time

3) Honestly, how well do you understand battery science and other mechanical/chemical things as it relates to boats?

Basic knowledge level

4) Are bells and whistles such as bluetooth monitoring, fancy gauges, depth finder interfacing etc.important to you and does it validate an increased price?

I love the Bluetooth connectivity aspect of the Ionic's.

5) Is brand recognition important or do you believe most batteries are the same quality regardless of brand, packaging or advertising

I look for function vs brand on any battery

Probably not

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Opinions/Poll on Lithium Batteries [Re: Outlaw Outdoors] #14293209 02/23/22 12:30 AM
O
ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50) Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
1. No lead acid for now.
2. Everything is there that I desire in new technology, I've seen one test where a guy tried to run a lithium battery to death with a trolling motor and after 13.5 hours he gave up, don't know the brand. Like most folks I need the price to get closer to a lead acid battery.
3. I'm an industrial mechanic and have worked with battery technology; charging systems, etc. for 4 decades. I've also spent a lot of time in the automotive side as well.
4. I'd love to have my phone or fish finder keep me updated on battery condition but it's not going to be a deal killer when I go lithium.
5.Brand recognition does not matter one bit.
6. Most are prorated but have full replacement for part of their life span.

2012 ZX200 Skeeter
2012 Yamaha 200 SHO

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Proud student of the Pro Staffer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzwF72B2F2w&t=14s
Re: Opinions/Poll on Lithium Batteries [Re: Clark Reehm] #14293239 02/23/22 12:43 AM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
1. Ionic 50 & 125 for electronics, will eventually get them for the TM too. Bought this brand because it has a great reputation. Some others do not.

2. No concerns, hope they keep on dropping in price though. Not bad now though.

3. Understand it pretty well, prob 8-9 out of 10.

4. Bluetooth is important to me, I’d like to know when it needs charged. If it had a meter on the case, that would be fine.

5. Brand recognition, I won’t buy something oddball, at least give it an American name, not Chinese.

6. I understand the warranty for the brand I own.

Last edited by grout-scout; 02/23/22 01:14 AM. Reason: Typo
Re: Opinions/Poll on Lithium Batteries [Re: grout-scout] #14293263 02/23/22 12:59 AM
Brent S Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity

No

When it is time to replace my current batteries, I will do some research on the options at that time.

Basic understanding

Monitoring sounds like something I would consider.

Brand recognition plays a role in the selection process.

For the most part. I had an interstate AGM cranking battery that came with a new 2021 boat and it lasted 6 months. Cabela's wouldn't warranty it, because they said that it worked fine when they tested it. I will never own an interstate battery again, they are trash.

Re: Opinions/Poll on Lithium Batteries [Re: Clark Reehm] #14293332 02/23/22 01:57 AM
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I answered in the crappie section

Re: Opinions/Poll on Lithium Batteries [Re: Clark Reehm] #14293370 02/23/22 02:29 AM
D
Dan21XRS Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
D
1. Yes... Impulse Lithium... Trolling motor only

2. My main concern was charging them if their internal temps fall below 32*

3. Don't understand the technology at all... Love the weight difference though

4. I purchased non blue tooth batteries. I could care less about bells and whistles. Just work!!!

5. Never heard of Impulse until I started to research. I email the owner at 530a on a Saturday morning expecting to hear back on Monday or Tuesday. He emailed me back 15 minutes later and answered all the question I had.

6. Yes

... Dan

"The problem with having a sense of humor is often that people you use it on aren't in a very good mood"...
Lou Holtz
Re: Opinions/Poll on Lithium Batteries [Re: Clark Reehm] #14293453 02/23/22 03:21 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
No.

Mine ain’t broke so they don’t need fixing. I’d break them if the price was right though.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Opinions/Poll on Lithium Batteries [Re: Clark Reehm] #14293462 02/23/22 03:27 AM
TajChauvin Offline
Angler
Angler
I run 4 30 AH Iconic batteries in series and parallel for a 24V trolling motor. I also run a dedicated 50 AH Iconic for my electronics. My cranking and accessories battery is an AGM (This may change to Lithium if there is ever a Mercury recommendation).
I selected Iconic because there were years of reviews on BBC. At the time of purchase 30 AH batteries were at a good price point. (50 AH are now at that price point.)

My main concern at the moment is cold weather. I have not yet done enough research on cold weather effect on lithium and charging. For now I charge them when it is warm and keep a heater close by on really cold nights.

I am a Computer/Systems Engineer and understand electrical theory very well. I do not have much knowledge in the chemistry of batteries. I believe prices are dropping because they are becoming more available and companies are finding ways to improve the technology.

4) Are bells and whistles such as Bluetooth monitoring, fancy gauges, depth finder interfacing etc.important to you and does it validate an increased price?
I find the most important aspect of the Bluetooth is knowing how much charge remains and how long to a full charge. I've designed my system for the charger to be external to the boat and connects via quick connects at 20 amps per 2 banks vs 10 amps per 4 banks. With this system I have to move my charger over to the second set of batteries once the first charge. Knowing when that will take place allows me to go out and make the change at the right time.
I would like to see a battery to incorporate quick connects. This would allow boaters to customize how they configure their batteries. Something else I use them for is to connect in my jump starter to the AGM batter if needed. No need to fumble with gator clamps. I can provide pics if needed.

I believe proven reliability is more important than brand recognition. Most times these things go hand and hand. I knew nothing about Iconic as a brand but I knew of their reliability.

I am unaware of how warranties truly work.

Last edited by TajChauvin; 02/23/22 03:29 AM.
Re: Opinions/Poll on Lithium Batteries [Re: Clark Reehm] #14293520 02/23/22 04:40 AM
Hole Shot Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by Clark Reehm
I am currently working on a project about Lithium Marine Batteries. Please feel free to share your opinions on these questions as well as add anything else you might think is beneficial in deciding to purchase Lithium batteries for your boat or concerns you may have. Thank you for helping out and contributing.

1. Yes - Ionic - all - partner installed them
2. warranties with big motor/electronics
3. not much
4. bluetooth is awesome. Graphs showing volts are enough while on the deck
5. no
6. Only the old cell batteries. 2 years from the date stamp on them.

Re: Opinions/Poll on Lithium Batteries [Re: Clark Reehm] #14293824 02/23/22 02:35 PM
M
MagFluker Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
--No, AGM for cranking, lead acid for trolling

--Potential warranty issues with cranking batteries causing motor issues

--Well enough to know that lithium aren't dangerous

--I mostly fish for fun, small tournaments, the addiitonal cost and features aren't essential to me.

--More about price and reliability/warranty

--for lead acid and agm

I'll add, I have seen stories where changing over to lithium hasn't helped performance of boats. The weight savings are nice, but as we know bass boats are weight sensitive, therefore you have to move gear around in order to get the performance back. I price checked some lithiums for trolling motor but I would have had to get a new onboard charger that could work with both AGM and Lithium. It just wasn't worth it.

Kyle in NC

PB 11.1

Re: Opinions/Poll on Lithium Batteries [Re: Clark Reehm] #14294091 02/23/22 05:08 PM
hobgood12 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
---- Yes, Impulse Lithium cranking battery. I have a local friend that fishes on tour and he runs this brand battery. He shot me straight on his experiences with them over the last couple of years of him using them and gave me a demonstration of how they are setup and showed me how he monitors the levels. With that I wanted to support him and his sponsor. I called the owner directly with specific questions and he always answered the phone!

----No concerns at this point

---- Like most folks, my understanding is on an elementary level. After reading numerous independent reviews and verifying those concerns with ownership, I'm good! I don't need to know how it was as much as I wanted to know that it did work.

--- I do like the bluetooth feature and will spend the extra money for the feature when I replace my trolling motor batteries.

---- The sticker on the case did not influence my decision. I don't believe that all batteries are the same quality based on some of the independent reviews I came across.

--- I understand how my battery warranty works.

Re: Opinions/Poll on Lithium Batteries [Re: Clark Reehm] #14294191 02/23/22 06:17 PM
bassnman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
1. Yes. 3 Ionic 50ah for Ultrex, Ionic 125 ah for everything else. I selected Ionic because it has a good reputation, was available, and the price was good for the time. I felt the brand would be around if I needed service or replacement and I felt the dealer would stand behind it.
2. My only concern so far is charging in cold weather. Worst case I may have to take them inside and thankfully they are light weight. If I still lived in Missouri that would be a much bigger concern. Mine are only about a year and a half old so I am not looking right now.
3. I understand pretty well. I research things thoroughly up front.
4. I like Bluetooth monitoring but I wouldn’t pay much for it. It’s a “nice to have”.
5. I don’t care to try to prove it but I believe there are some off brands online that may not be good quality. More important to me is the dealer. I want one I feel will be around and stand by his product. The technology has been around a long time.
6. Wet cell warranties all suck. Wet cells aren’t even as good as they used to be. I hope my lithiums last 8 to 10 years as they are purported to and am fairly confident they will. I needed replacements or I would have waited as prices are still coming down.
7. I pulled 149 pounds out of my boat (4 batteries plus charger) have more room and super fast charging. My main battery was not able to keep everything going on a long day but my Lithium does.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide