Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: LOOKING AT FISH [Re: HDVS] #14288201 02/17/22 08:50 PM
Tiltman Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I haven't read any since early last year but have always understood intentional snagging was outlined as a no no , if not it should be.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: LOOKING AT FISH [Re: J.H.S.] #14288202 02/17/22 08:51 PM
Tiltman Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by J.H.S.
Originally Posted by Tiltman
Originally Posted by J.H.S.
Ok I am going to try one more time.

Actual Site Fishing is looking at a fish with your eyes , looking down through the water directly at a fish. Its nothing like looking at a screen of a fish that is 60 feet away. I am sorry if I have touched a nerve but they are not the same thing.

I at one time was a very good site fisherman and am a decent at best Livescoper and also have Mega 360 , yes I absolutely agree I see that there are fish and that they are following the bait but that image is nothing like "real" site fishing.

No matter how bad you want it to be it isn't.

That makes no sense. Looking at a fish live on the screen is the exact same as looking at a fish live in the water. You see real-time movements and reactions. Nobody is saying sight fishing is wrong, but to say livescope is not sight fishing is just plain asinine. Sight fishing a bed fish, you're casting to a fish real-time trying to get it to react. Fishing with a livescope, you are casting at a fish you see real-time and are trying to get it to react. The means by which you see it aren't relevant in this case. If you want to argue that it's not bed fishing, then I totally agree. But sight fishing is sight fishing, no matter how bad you don't want it to be.

Can you see a fish take a bait at 60 feet without feeling it and know 100% it has the bait ? Can you see it's gills flare ? Can you see a change in it's attitude or pitch to a bait ?

No you cannot , you are wrong in your comment that it is exactly the same and more asinine for saying so.

Clearly common sense is not your strong suit. You're grasping at straws just to make an argument. It is pretty evident when a livescope fish is coming after your bait. Seeing gils flare and all that is just a stupid attempt to prove a bad point. You are looking at a screen (using your sight), to catch fish. That is literally the definition of SIGHT FISHING.

Still not the same thing

Re: LOOKING AT FISH [Re: Douglas J] #14288203 02/17/22 08:54 PM
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Douglas J
Originally Posted by HDVS
No Snagging rules cover your scenario is all , I don't disagree that you see fish and fish movement on the screen but as some one who has done a lot of both there so many differences and visual queues. I would never add provisions that would turn all treble hook fish into California rules. I would enforce no snagging intentionally rules.

"So if u see a fish locked on a bed and back off where u can't see it and rip a jerkbait or crankbait through the area and hook the fish out side of the mouth is it not "technically" sight fishing?
And yes Mark is much less of a Smart**s"

It's still snagging, and a very sh!tty way to catch em, Robby Rose could maybe pass that poly but I sure wouldn't

The problem is nobody has a no snagging rule. It's specified as "sight fishing" and trust me I have seen it all when there is money on line at every level.

Actually it's covered in the game laws

per TPWD:

"It is unlawful to use a pole and line to take or attempt to take fish by foul-hooking, snagging, or jerking. A fish is foul-hooked when caught by a hook in an area other than the fish's mouth."

Implies that its intentional. Not uncommon to foul hook a fish with crankbaits, jerk baits, or a rigs.

Re: LOOKING AT FISH [Re: tmd11111] #14288206 02/17/22 09:00 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by tmd11111
No Snagging rules cover your scenario is all , I don't disagree that you see fish and fish movement on the screen but as some one who has done a lot of both there so many differences and visual queues. I would never add provisions that would turn all treble hook fish into California rules. I would enforce no snagging intentionally rules.

"So if u see a fish locked on a bed and back off where u can't see it and rip a jerkbait or crankbait through the area and hook the fish out side of the mouth is it not "technically" sight fishing?

It's still snagging, and a very sh!tty way to catch em, Robby Rose could maybe pass that poly but I sure wouldn't

The problem is nobody has a no snagging rule. It's specified as "sight fishing" and trust me I have seen it all when there is money on line at every level.

per TPWD:

"It is unlawful to use a pole and line to take or attempt to take fish by foul-hooking, snagging, or jerking. A fish is foul-hooked when caught by a hook in an area other than the fish's mouth."

Implies that its intentional. Not uncommon to foul hook a fish with crankbaits, jerk baits, or a rigs.

HDVS said no body has a "no snagging" rule. Every tournament that I have ever fished from the smallest to the largest have always said you must follow all games laws.

A "no snagging" rule isn't necessary since it is covered in the games laws of the State of Texas.

Accidental or intentional is what would define lawful or unlawful in that instance. IMO.

#MFGA
Re: LOOKING AT FISH [Re: Douglas J] #14288207 02/17/22 09:00 PM
HDVS Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman

per TPWD:

Well that would dq any fish that is hooked outside of the mouth no matter the situation.

Re: LOOKING AT FISH [Re: HDVS] #14288219 02/17/22 09:21 PM
U
Used2fish Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
U
As much disdain I have for livescope The parts pimp is right, It’s not the same as sight fishing. With a crank bait jerk bait you don’t know if it was hooked in the mouth and side then the mouth came un-buttoned but the side did not.

But this is the internet and folks gonna argue all day. Not me not today.

Remember sir. Never argue with a fool he’ll pull you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Last edited by Used2fish; 02/17/22 09:22 PM.
Re: LOOKING AT FISH [Re: HDVS] #14288226 02/17/22 09:35 PM
HDVS Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Arguing is just part of a discussion now days!

Re: LOOKING AT FISH [Re: HDVS] #14288298 02/17/22 10:44 PM
O
ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50) Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
popcorn

2012 ZX200 Skeeter
2012 Yamaha 200 SHO

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Proud student of the Pro Staffer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzwF72B2F2w&t=14s
Re: LOOKING AT FISH [Re: HDVS] #14288402 02/18/22 12:37 AM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D

per TPWD:

Well that would dq any fish that is hooked outside of the mouth no matter the situation.

No it wouldn't as it reads, "use a pole and line to take or attempt to take fish", which means someone has the intent to "snag a fish" purposely,

That's what would make it illegal. Not an accidental instance of a fish hooked outside it's mouth.

#MFGA
Re: LOOKING AT FISH [Re: HDVS] #14288403 02/18/22 12:38 AM
D
David Burton Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
D

per TPWD:

I was mostly on your side, but really? Take or attempt to take implies 'intent'. Casting, and reeling a crank bait without the snagging/jerking/foul-hook is totally different. Swiping, in other words, the fish turning and hooking itself outside the mouth is a legal catch. Jerking indiscriminately to catch a fish is much different!

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Re: LOOKING AT FISH [Re: HDVS] #14288529 02/18/22 02:49 AM
U
Used2fish Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
U
Ps. The subject of snagging fish should never be discussed without bringing up Sprague.

So it’s done now. Shut it down

Re: LOOKING AT FISH [Re: David Burton] #14288543 02/18/22 03:06 AM
4D Ranch Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
The way I read it is attempt to take implies intent! The issue is that TPWD stated it as Take OR attempt to take says a lot. All of us have foul hooked a fish with a crank bait or jerk bait ect.. I think the Take part of it has more bearing on ffs issue. If you foul hook a fish and put it in the live well to weigh in in my opinion you have (Taken) that fish even it is to be released later! It’s definitely a grey area but I would hate to be holding a winning fish and take the poly in that situation. On the other hand if your holding a SAL fish and about to hand it over to TPWD I’m sure it would be no questions asked!

Re: LOOKING AT FISH [Re: HDVS] #14288547 02/18/22 03:08 AM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
We need to get Mike Longs opinion on the situation.

Re: LOOKING AT FISH [Re: HDVS] #14288684 02/18/22 12:47 PM
buda13 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
As previously stated… if you are intentionally snagging the fish there is already a rule covering that. If you don’t win and get a poly a person would likely never get caught with or without FFS. It comes down to basic morals and ethics.

It was a bit of an eye opener last year with Rooster and Crankin Craig, remember the idiots that put a video on YouTube intentionally culling a dead fish during Basschamps? No telling how many more of those we fish against every tournament that aren’t stupid enough to post a video or finish in a polygraph spot.

Re: LOOKING AT FISH [Re: HDVS] #14288743 02/18/22 01:57 PM
HDVS Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
If that TPWD is written out as is then that could be interpreted alot of ways. The last part about foul hooking is separated from the sentence that covers intent!
Intent is also not really what the question I ask is about. Lets say u r looking at a fish on ur FFS and it's not biting. So u give a couple of quick twitches and feel something. Of course ur going to set the hook. Get the fish in and its snagged in the tail or the back. No where near the mouth. You had no Intent but u were visually looking at that fish in real time on a graph and more than likely snagged him (in some sense) bc what u felt was probably ur bait running into him.
I believe in black nd white rules and no gray areas. But many push those areas at every level.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide