Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Denton Creek 2022 #14271916 02/02/22 06:49 PM
P
prosise Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
This thread is for everyone who wants to share info for Denton Creek. If you have something to share please post it, help others who might want their kids to get on some fish. Nothing better than sharing pictures of the smiles as well.

Please respect the creek, and if you see trash pick up what you can. I cleaned truckloads of debris last year from the flood, and from lazy fishermen.

Warning: The creek is low, and unless we get some rain it is going to be a challenging year for boaters. If you are going to use your boat to go up from Trophy club, go spend the 150$ and pick yourself up an aluminum prop. Your going to save yourself allot of problems.

Prosise

Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: prosise] #14271970 02/02/22 07:33 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Launched at TC park on Monday Jan-31-22, and was very surprised at what I saw. I really have not been up in this area for a while, the creek is pretty low. I want to express caution of the creek, the water is shallow. I idled up with the motor tilted up most of the way, and still rubbed a few solid objects. Many areas of the creek show to be only 5ft deep in the center. The wider areas of the creek, are sketchy at best. So if you are considering going up, please make sure you are not using a stainless prop. Stainless does not give, and will do more damage to the motor. Aluminum will flex, crack, and save you some money in the long run. I am not trying to scare you away, just give you real info.. With that said, I idled up to where you see the star on the map. I then eased down and sampled brush piles as I came down. One thing I found which is pretty interesting, the trees that you can see coming out of the water were not producing like the small hidded spots in the middle of the creek. I fished all the holes (marked with a "H") and some of the shallower areas on my way back to the ramp. Caught allot of very small crappie, but I caught at least one big one in every brushpile that I spent some time at I was fishing a small jig with it's tail dipped in garlic scent. Right near the area I turned around, I was fishing some brush and I saw a group of about 10 fish swimming down the bank. I casted the jig up ahead of them and "surprise", caught a sandbass. A male that was prob in the 9" length. Saw small wolf packs going by me all day. So they are moving up, but I am not going up until about the middle of Feb. I am also going to go pick up several more shear pins for my suzuki 2hp motor. i will be going up in the Canoe, no more big boat for me. Now, the last bit of fishing advice I can give you concerning the crappie. The best spot I found, was just up from the Trophy club ramp. As you go up, right before you start to head to the left in the center of the creek. There are many large brush piles in the center and favoring the north side that are full of Chunky crappie. I would say they were in the 12" length range. I think I caught about 6 there in 10 minutes.

This is the area just up from the boat ramp. The "X" is the best spot i caught crappie. The lightning bolt is the big tree in the middle of the creek. Last year I was going to the right of the big tree. This year you have to go left, and you need to tilt your motor up. It's shallow on the left. DO not run in the creek, you will be on the nightly news for "Idiot gets hurt in Denton Creek".

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This is the area I checked on Monday. The "H" marks the deeper holes.
[Linked Image]

Good business for electronics.. He does installation as well, but I do this myself.
[Linked Image]

I have added a livescope setup to the boat, I got tired of waiting on Hummingbird to release the transducers. Seems the whole world is on backorder, so I picked up a dedicated Garmin1222 and Livescope transducer. I purchased from "Shut up and Fish" in Lewisville, David has given me great prices. Cash is King!!!!!! So far I have purchased a Minn Kota Ultrex, Mega 360, and the Garmin setup from him. He is a straight shooter, and always answers his phone. I really am enjoying the Garmin. I have about 40 hours behind the unit, and I have been blown away at the amount of information that it gives you. I am so glad I got the 12" screen, these old eyes are not as good as they used to be. I tried the livescope mounted on the trolling motor shaft first, and it was "OK".. I built a redneck pole out of an old expandable paint roller handle, and about 20$ of materials from Home Depot, and I like it 100 times better. I can spot lock and still scan all around, which is so nice. Might not look the best, but it works. I am still using the Mega360 which really helps me locate the bait, schools of fish, and structure. If you have any questions about the Hummingbird Helix, 360, or the Livescope just ask.

Garmin settings I am using at this time.

Noise reject high
Tvg off
Color gain @ 83%
Fine tune gain (I stay around 55-63%, slightly hot).

Here is a clip that I took last week fishing out on the main lake. I am still catching good sandbass out on main lake, but I have not been finding the good schools in the usual locations. I was out in the main lake just trolling around and sniping fish that were up above the schools of bait. Side note: You can go out to deep water pretty much any area of the lake and find mega schools of bait down in the 20ft range. As it gets darker in the evening the schools of bait ease up close to the surface, but I have not seen any fish in large numbers working the bait. We had an amazing shad spawn last spring, and we are still loaded with bait out in the deep water. All the bass I have been catching are fat, dumb, and happy. You really have to get them to bite a reaction bait. They are just not interested in the slow lures right now. Has been really fun catching these bigger sandbass with the 6XD crankbait. I have been fishing for the green fish pretty much 99% of the time, and taking a break to tinker with the sandies. Will not be long before we are up the creek..

God Bless all, and looking forward to this year..

This is due north of the Island by Dove ramp. Out probably 600 yards in the deep water.

Last edited by prosise; 02/02/22 07:40 PM.
Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: prosise] #14277524 02/07/22 07:15 PM
L
LordoftheMorning Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Thanks for the info

Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: prosise] #14282947 02/12/22 04:11 PM
T
TxDanFishMan Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Couple more weeks and things should be heatin' up.
Depends a lot of course if / when we get any rain and run-off.

Last edited by TxDanFishMan; 02/14/22 04:47 AM.

Slide right, coming in .... Fish On!
Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: prosise] #14285200 02/14/22 07:42 PM
T
T.O.M. Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
@prosise have you made it up the creek in the last two weeks? Curious if the number of crappie or whites have increased with the warmer weather. I always enjoy your detailed postings. I also share your love and respect for public land and waterways. Thanks in advance.

Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: prosise] #14285300 02/14/22 10:24 PM
E
Easeup Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
heck of a report!

Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: prosise] #14285497 02/15/22 01:48 AM
Sawyer S Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
Here are some pictures of the ramp I took today for those who are unfamiliar. It was my first time at TC Park. I was checking to see if I could safely launch my boat there. Does anyone know what depth the creek is around this area? The creek appears wide enough to launch boats, however I’m not sure how far up they’ll be able to go. Also, I’m not sure how shallow it is there, so be cautious.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here are pictures from the entrance to Denton Creek from Lake Grapevine. It appears shallow and I saw some submerged timber in the entrance and a log jam. Anyone know the depth here as well?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Joshua 1:9
Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: prosise] #14285995 02/15/22 06:12 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
I launched back on feb 1, no problems but as you go up it gets shallow in areas. The submerged timber is in odd places, and you cannot run in the creek unless you hve a jet drive setup. I am still chasing the green fish and I haven't been back to the creek yet. I am going to use the canoe and the 2hp suzuki from now on.

Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: prosise] #14286189 02/15/22 10:41 PM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
I will probably make a trip there soon. I will probably take the yak with the low water. No reason to go way up this year

The mouth of the creek is probably a couple feet deep at most and the ramp should be fine to use.

Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: prosise] #14286280 02/16/22 12:20 AM
S
sapalmer Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@14&key=utqhEvqbpQ

Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: prosise] #14287232 02/16/22 10:58 PM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
I walked around and fished 377 a bit today. Water is low and did talk to a guy who caught a couple sandies and one crappie. Water still feels like it is in 40s to me. Going to be a while before its any good. Water is low and boats aren't going to make it very far past 377. There is a large concrete wall that is just under the surface just passed there. I'm not going to mess up my boat in there LOL

Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: prosise] #14287427 02/17/22 02:12 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
If you want to have fun walk into here, the fish will stack up on gravel. This is the first gravel step.

Google earth link

I'm still chasing the green fish, and might be for a bit. Catching good bass, and the spawn hasn't started yet. Hope all are well, and if you go up spread the word. I know that you can flat kill them in a few spots right now, but they are small. Gravel, is the key.

Prosise

Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: prosise] #14290032 02/20/22 01:23 AM
F
fonzie_r0cks Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Fished several holes today with my son no luck! Beautiful day to be out though!

Wild Hog Removal
817-823-8939
Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: prosise] #14300187 02/28/22 03:32 PM
M
Mickeyc4 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
Prosise - I really appreciate your detailed reports. I hope to be out Thursday. I’ll
be the old guy in a bass buster. Say hi if you see me.

Re: Denton Creek 2022 [Re: prosise] #14300457 02/28/22 06:49 PM
N
ntgolfandfish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
i went and checked out this creek area my 1st time yesterday. saw a few boats go down creek in direction of 377 bridge from trophy club park ramp. so it does seem safer than what seems. but i only went maybe a third of the way from ramp to 377 bridge in a yak, and there are definitely stumps poking out here and there, so be careful. one bigger boat i saw seemed to have no issues. i was impressed with width of creek as far down as i went. this is great area, perfect for a yak or canoe or small boat. might as well be called a river, not stream or creek, as wide as it is for a decent ways. i fished just a little bit, no success. mostly scouting trip. i will definitely be back.

a few questions for ya'll that know the area. i drove by where 377 bridge passes over creek, but couldn't figure out where to drive down into that area to launch a yak-- can you do that, or is all that area private land or inaccessible?

also, i nevr fished for sandies in a creek. how far back do they tend to go up into the creek? are we talking all the way back to 377 bridge and beyond? or can you find fish around the holes marked "H" by prosise?

also, how busy and crowded will the creek be during peak season? seems like boats and yaks could get a little crammed if there are too many. thanks.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide