Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
MLF BPT Louisiana #14272848 02/03/22 01:11 PM
O
ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50) Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
O
Looks like they cancelled practice today because of the weather. They will be fishing D'Arbonne, Caney, and Bussey Brake. I grew up near those lakes and spent a lot of time on D'arbonne and Caney; I've never been on Bussey except to go bluegill fishing with my dad.

Darbonne: what I know about this lake it fishes really good and is probably one of the best lakes visually for bass fishing you'll ever see as far as cover goes, but here's the kicker. Every so often the Army Corps of Engineers runs this lake through a draw down in the name of flood control and nearly empties it. When they do that either the fish are going out the flood gates or since they are in such crowded waters the predatory birds and larger fish have a feast and when it comes back up its pretty much empty and it fishes that way; some of the toughest fishing you'll ever do. If they've drawn it down in the past 2 or 3 years this could be the toughest round these guys have ever seen.

Caney Creek Lake: they'll love this one it was impounded it the late 80's and was stocked exclusively with Florida strain bass. It holds most of the Louisiana state records for LMB and for a 7500-acre impoundment WAS as hot as Lake Fork if not hotter at one point. The bad? in the mid 90's the lake had a hydrilla problem, so the LDWF got the bright idea they'd release grass carp in the lake to control it. They put way too many in it and they ate all the vegetation down to the dirt literally destroying the lake and it quit producing altogether. More good: the grass carp were supposed to be sterile, and they have lived out their life span and died off, so the lake began to recover a few years ago and is now producing DD fish again.

My parents had a house on that lake, and I spent a ton of time on it, never caught a DD out of it but some really nice bass. Before they built all the houses and boat docks around it this lakes beauty was breath taking. It's in rolling pine hills and if you didn't know where you were you'd think you were somewhere in central Arkansas near the edge of the Ozark mountains.

Bussy Brake: it was the water supply lake for the International Paper Mill in Bastrop, Louisiana. The papermill has been long gone and they emptied this lake not long after the mill shut down back in the 90's. It literally sat empty for well over a decade I believe. The state was given control over it if I remember right and they did a complete makeover which included boat docks, new boat ramps, etc. and it was refilled and restocked the best I can remember about 3 to 5 years ago so it ought to be full of young hungry fish. This one should be a lot of fun. The bad: It's VERY small lake.

2012 ZX200 Skeeter
2012 Yamaha 200 SHO

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Proud student of the Pro Staffer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzwF72B2F2w&t=14s
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: MLF BPT Louisiana [Re: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)] #14272858 02/03/22 01:26 PM
Brent S Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Thanks for the history lesson on the area. Sounds like it should be a good event.

Re: MLF BPT Louisiana [Re: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)] #14272873 02/03/22 01:39 PM
HARD WORKN HAROLD Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
thumb

DON'T LET THE CLOTHES FOOL YA
Life is too short to fish with a dead cricket!
PB: wife of 40 years
Re: MLF BPT Louisiana [Re: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)] #14272926 02/03/22 02:11 PM
S
spacejunkie Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
thumb

Re: MLF BPT Louisiana [Re: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)] #14273476 02/03/22 07:57 PM
S
SC-001 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Here's the story on day one practice cancellation, going to be intriguing event with the cold weather and only one day of practice.

MONROE-WEST MONROE, La. – Major League Fishing has announced that the first day of practice for the 80 anglers competing in the Bass Pro Tour B&W Trailer Hitches Stage One Presented by Power-Pole, scheduled for Thursday, Feb. 3, has been canceled due to forecasted freezing rain and high winds.

“Initially, our anglers were slated for two days of practice on either Lake D’Arbonne or Caney Creek Reservoir,” said MLF Bass Pro Tour Tournament Director Aaron Beshears. “However, with the forecasted weather conditions, we have deemed it unsafe for our anglers to head out for the first day of practice on Thursday.

“We’re expecting some heavy rain on Wednesday night, and with the freezing temperatures forecast for Thursday, it is going to be extremely icy. For the safety of our anglers, we’ll delay the start of practice one day and we’ll get after it starting Friday.”

Anglers will be allowed to begin practice on either Lake D’Arbonne or Caney Creek Reservoir from 6:30 a.m. until 6:15 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 4. The competition will begin as planned on Saturday, Feb. 5.

The 40 anglers in Group B will be allowed to practice on Caney Creek Reservoir ONLY on their first scheduled day off – Saturday, Feb. 5, from 6:30 a.m. to 6:15 p.m. The 40 anglers in Group A will also be allowed to practice on Caney Creek Reservoir ONLY on their first scheduled day off – Sunday, Feb. 6, from 6:30 a.m. to 6:15 p.m.

Each group will also be allowed to proceed with a planned four-hour ride through on Bussey Brake on their second off-day, as previously scheduled. Group B will conduct their ride through on Monday, Feb. 7 and Group A will complete their ride through on Tuesday, Feb. 8. No fishing is allowed during the ride throughs.

In the four-day opening Qualifying Rounds, anglers will compete on Lake D’Arbonne and launch at 7:30 a.m. from the Lake D’Arbonne State Park, located at 3628 Evergreen Road in Farmerville, Louisiana. The Knockout Round will take place on Caney Creek Reservoir, where anglers will launch at 7:30 a.m. from the Caney Creek Hooks Marina, located at 400 Spillway Road in Chatham, Louisiana. For the final day Championship Round, the final 10 anglers will compete on Bussey Brake, launching at 7:30 a.m. from Bonner Ferry Road, five miles northwest of Bastrop off of Hwy 593.

Each day’s General Tire Takeout Ceremonies will be held at the respective launch ramps, beginning at 4:30 p.m. Fans are welcome to attend all takeoff and takeout ceremonies and also encouraged to follow the event online throughout the day on the MLF NOW!® live stream and SCORETRACKER® coverage at MajorLeagueFishing.com.

Re: MLF BPT Louisiana [Re: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)] #14273609 02/03/22 09:27 PM
S
SoCal Tom Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Bussey Brake is where they are doing the Championship round so it will only be ten boats on the water, Should be good. Love to see new water. Can't wait to see them on Palestine for Heavy Hitters this year

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

http://www.rayhubbardbassclub.com
President

Save the Date! 9th annual FFAC - Sunday October 27th, 2024 - Lake Ray Hubbard!
Re: MLF BPT Louisiana [Re: SC-001] #14273809 02/03/22 11:38 PM
O
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
O
Originally Posted by SC-001
Here's the story on day one practice cancellation, going to be intriguing event with the cold weather and only one day of practice.

MONROE-WEST MONROE, La. – Major League Fishing has announced that the first day of practice for the 80 anglers competing in the Bass Pro Tour B&W Trailer Hitches Stage One Presented by Power-Pole, scheduled for Thursday, Feb. 3, has been canceled due to forecasted freezing rain and high winds.

“Initially, our anglers were slated for two days of practice on either Lake D’Arbonne or Caney Creek Reservoir,” said MLF Bass Pro Tour Tournament Director Aaron Beshears. “However, with the forecasted weather conditions, we have deemed it unsafe for our anglers to head out for the first day of practice on Thursday.

“We’re expecting some heavy rain on Wednesday night, and with the freezing temperatures forecast for Thursday, it is going to be extremely icy. For the safety of our anglers, we’ll delay the start of practice one day and we’ll get after it starting Friday.”

Anglers will be allowed to begin practice on either Lake D’Arbonne or Caney Creek Reservoir from 6:30 a.m. until 6:15 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 4. The competition will begin as planned on Saturday, Feb. 5.

The 40 anglers in Group B will be allowed to practice on Caney Creek Reservoir ONLY on their first scheduled day off – Saturday, Feb. 5, from 6:30 a.m. to 6:15 p.m. The 40 anglers in Group A will also be allowed to practice on Caney Creek Reservoir ONLY on their first scheduled day off – Sunday, Feb. 6, from 6:30 a.m. to 6:15 p.m.

Each group will also be allowed to proceed with a planned four-hour ride through on Bussey Brake on their second off-day, as previously scheduled. Group B will conduct their ride through on Monday, Feb. 7 and Group A will complete their ride through on Tuesday, Feb. 8. No fishing is allowed during the ride throughs.

In the four-day opening Qualifying Rounds, anglers will compete on Lake D’Arbonne and launch at 7:30 a.m. from the Lake D’Arbonne State Park, located at 3628 Evergreen Road in Farmerville, Louisiana. The Knockout Round will take place on Caney Creek Reservoir, where anglers will launch at 7:30 a.m. from the Caney Creek Hooks Marina, located at 400 Spillway Road in Chatham, Louisiana. For the final day Championship Round, the final 10 anglers will compete on Bussey Brake, launching at 7:30 a.m. from Bonner Ferry Road, five miles northwest of Bastrop off of Hwy 593.

Each day’s General Tire Takeout Ceremonies will be held at the respective launch ramps, beginning at 4:30 p.m. Fans are welcome to attend all takeoff and takeout ceremonies and also encouraged to follow the event online throughout the day on the MLF NOW!® live stream and SCORETRACKER® coverage at MajorLeagueFishing.com.
Thanks

2012 ZX200 Skeeter
2012 Yamaha 200 SHO

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Re: MLF BPT Louisiana [Re: SoCal Tom] #14273815 02/03/22 11:42 PM
R
Rayzor Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted by SoCal Tom
Bussey Brake is where they are doing the Championship round so it will only be ten boats on the water, Should be good. Love to see new water. Can't wait to see them on Palestine for Heavy Hitters this year

Man, I hope this "Bussey Lake" isn't the same body of water I am seeing on Google Maps. It's a small dried-up pond.

Be safe,
Rayzor
[Linked Image]
2001 Triton Tx-21/225 Mercury EFI
Re: MLF BPT Louisiana [Re: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)] #14273886 02/04/22 12:36 AM
D
Dubee Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
Ogles, where did you grow up. My mom was born and raised in Bernice. I still have family in Farmersville and Ruston

Re: MLF BPT Louisiana [Re: Dubee] #14274030 02/04/22 03:30 AM
O
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
O
I grew up in West Monroe area. My dad was from Rayville and my mom was raised in Spearsville. My daughter is currently attending college @ La Tech.

2012 ZX200 Skeeter
2012 Yamaha 200 SHO

Re: MLF BPT Louisiana [Re: Rayzor] #14274033 02/04/22 03:33 AM
O
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
O
Originally Posted by Rayzor

Man, I hope this "Bussey Lake" isn't the same body of water I am seeing on Google Maps. It's a small dried-up pond.

Originally Posted by Rayzor

That was it. It’s so new the satellite maps haven’t caught up with it yet. It ought to have tons of willow trees to fish. I saw photos of it before it filled up and it had grown pretty thick in willows.

2012 ZX200 Skeeter
2012 Yamaha 200 SHO

Re: MLF BPT Louisiana [Re: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)] #14274036 02/04/22 03:38 AM
L
Lone_Wolf Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Google earth usually has more recent aerials, those of that lake on google maps are old

Re: MLF BPT Louisiana [Re: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)] #14274066 02/04/22 04:11 AM
M
mudd Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
Caney is gonna show put. Some of those boys got some help before cutoff if I had my guess. 33-36 been winning single and team deals

Bussey Creek is gonna be ruined after this if it produces like it does. It’s a hidden gem that has a bunch of 10 plus

93 Ranger 482vs
95 Bullet 20cc

Re: MLF BPT Louisiana [Re: mudd] #14274071 02/04/22 04:19 AM
L
Lone_Wolf Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Originally Posted by mudd

Bussey Creek is gonna be ruined after this if it produces like it does. It’s a hidden gem that has a bunch of 10 plus

Florida bass can be very fickle with weather like this and I think all thats stocked in there, conditions might save it from showing what it really has.

Re: MLF BPT Louisiana [Re: mudd] #14274083 02/04/22 04:36 AM
O
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
O
Originally Posted by mudd
Caney is gonna show put. Some of those boys got some help before cutoff if I had my guess. 33-36 been winning single and team deals

I fished Caney when it was first impounded and Bussey should fish just
like it. The state representative for the particular district Caney is in made the Governor; I believe it was John McKeithen, mad about something and he pulled the funding on it and it sat for about 20 years half finished. They had cleared most of the land in it because it was originally supposed to be a boater/water ski type of deal. It grew up with willows, pines, sweet gum, and a few hardwoods. They just left it that way and let it fill. It kicked butt right out of the gate. A friend of mine caught the very first DD fish out of Caney fishing a tournament he and I had both entered. It was a 10.09 if I remember right. That fish came out of Caney and most of the willows were still green.

2012 ZX200 Skeeter
2012 Yamaha 200 SHO

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide