B
Box Fish Hero Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Don't really have any good pics that show the different configurations we use when chasing kitties, but easy enough to imagine how it may look. I'd call the hull a Deep V, 18 degrees through the transom with nearly 30 degree entry. 26'4" from bow to motor bracket on swim deck. There's 11' of floor from the consoles to the livewell/back deck, enjoy that space when trying to handle/photo 2-3 big fish at a time. Rear livewell is a little over 140 gallons, front is 35. Of course I would do a few things different if given the chance to build again. Its a comfortable rig to fish big open water but can't say we've caught any more fish in it than the Lund Pro Angler 2000, Tracker Targa V17, or Stratos 21' Bay..... but I will not own another winter time catfish boat that does not have the full walk thru windshield. Its Ugly as they come, prolly should have listened to the wife and had some paint shot during the build.... but didn't happen. Like some others posted, has 30" sidewalls, since my kids are young, eliminates the chance of them easily tumbling over the side (they always have a life jacket on) also nice for adults when the rollers make it to 3-4', kinda brace yourself against the higher sides and stay nice and steady. Kinda petty but my favorite piece of the build ended up being the pieces of aluminum angle iron that hold bait cutting board and blocks the blow hole on the walk-thru windshield.

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Which new (or used) Catfish Boat [Re: z289sec] #14241884 01/07/22 11:19 AM
Catfish Tim Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Sweet boat. Gotta be a catfish boat... No BS, all business. Looks clean and sleek. I bet it is a good feeling knowing you have a one of a kind there. Congratulations on the build.

Catfish Tim
🐟🐟"If it doesn't have whiskers, it's just bait"🐟🐟
Romans 8:1

Re: Which new (or used) Catfish Boat [Re: z289sec] #14241914 01/07/22 12:56 PM
Bluecat Bob Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
My gosh, that looks like the perfect boat!

Wanna sell it? Hahahaha!!!!

Retired from the grind and enjoying life and the great outdoors ### Formerly Texas Brit ###
Re: Which new (or used) Catfish Boat [Re: z289sec] #14242466 01/07/22 10:51 PM
Z
z289sec Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Z
Some good info in here guys, think I've pretty much decided on a deep V aluminum boat. If Tracker wasn't 8 weeks out at a minimum, I'd buy new. Looking pretty hard at the Tracker Targa 18 and 19, with the walk through windshield. I really like the Mako CPX series as well, but I really want an aluminum boat. And yes definitely, like the steps into the boat on a trailer. My pontoon trailer has them, and I love it.

Re: Which new (or used) Catfish Boat [Re: z289sec] #14242720 01/08/22 05:47 AM
Gophish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Nice!!!! I've been discussing something along those lines with a local builder.

Re: Which new (or used) Catfish Boat [Re: z289sec] #14243034 01/08/22 04:55 PM
B
Box Fish Hero Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I don’t remember which lake/s you were planning to fish, but I fished a Tracker Targa V17 aluminum boat with a 90hp Mercury for 5 years. I had it on Twk a few times. It was not quite enough boat for some of the worst days I have been on Twk, and it was under powered, that boat rated 135 max hp. When navigating rough water, possibly needing to feather throttle to adjust bow rise, being at or near max hp seems pretty critical in my 15 years of boating experience. I will say with my Targa, its been through some NASTY water, water I should not have tried to navigate, I only had a single side console, I have been a drowned rat, completely soaked by heavy amounts of spray from breaking big waves in high wind, but the boat always handled anything I needed. I have been scared and wishing I had stayed home before but the Targa never got in trouble. I can only say good things about how that boat performed. I bought it next to new, it had only been on the water 5 times with original owner and I paid $13,500, used it like a rented mule for 5 years, did keep the maintenance regular but was able to sell it for 12,500 after 5 years use. I know you mentioned livewells, the old V17 had a 23 gallon front and 29 or 39 gallon rear. I fished it 1 year in the Cabelas tourney on Twk, back when you could have 5 big fish in the boat, we were able to keep 1 fish in the front box, 2 in the rear and we used a 150qt cooler to keep our 5th fish, don’t remember our exact weight but somewhere around 170lbs on 5 fish that year and our fish were in great shape for release. I remember coming through the weigh-in line and a couple guys were walking down the line of boats waiting to weigh-in asking each boat what they had… they walked past me and didnt ask what we had, they said amongst themselves “ha, Tracker don’t have a chance, dont have a big enough livewell in there.” I have always giggled about that, we finished in 2nd place that year, the Missouri boys beat us by 10lbs. Its funny, many people turn their nose up because your in a Tracker, just give em a nice smile, unload your fish on the scales and take their money home dragging your little tin boat. I have nothing but respect for Tracker based off my 5 years of owning one. Good luck finding your new rig, you’ve done your homework and will be happy with your choice.

Re: Which new (or used) Catfish Boat [Re: Box Fish Hero] #14243576 01/09/22 02:53 AM
Z
z289sec Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Z
Originally Posted by Box Fish Hero
I don’t remember which lake/s you were planning to fish, but I fished a Tracker Targa V17 aluminum boat with a 90hp Mercury for 5 years. I had it on Twk a few times. It was not quite enough boat for some of the worst days I have been on Twk, and it was under powered, that boat rated 135 max hp. When navigating rough water, possibly needing to feather throttle to adjust bow rise, being at or near max hp seems pretty critical in my 15 years of boating experience. I will say with my Targa, its been through some NASTY water, water I should not have tried to navigate, I only had a single side console, I have been a drowned rat, completely soaked by heavy amounts of spray from breaking big waves in high wind, but the boat always handled anything I needed. I have been scared and wishing I had stayed home before but the Targa never got in trouble. I can only say good things about how that boat performed. I bought it next to new, it had only been on the water 5 times with original owner and I paid $13,500, used it like a rented mule for 5 years, did keep the maintenance regular but was able to sell it for 12,500 after 5 years use. I know you mentioned livewells, the old V17 had a 23 gallon front and 29 or 39 gallon rear. I fished it 1 year in the Cabelas tourney on Twk, back when you could have 5 big fish in the boat, we were able to keep 1 fish in the front box, 2 in the rear and we used a 150qt cooler to keep our 5th fish, don’t remember our exact weight but somewhere around 170lbs on 5 fish that year and our fish were in great shape for release. I remember coming through the weigh-in line and a couple guys were walking down the line of boats waiting to weigh-in asking each boat what they had… they walked past me and didnt ask what we had, they said amongst themselves “ha, Tracker don’t have a chance, dont have a big enough livewell in there.” I have always giggled about that, we finished in 2nd place that year, the Missouri boys beat us by 10lbs. Its funny, many people turn their nose up because your in a Tracker, just give em a nice smile, unload your fish on the scales and take their money home dragging your little tin boat. I have nothing but respect for Tracker based off my 5 years of owning one. Good luck finding your new rig, you’ve done your homework and will be happy with your choice.

I really like the rod storage on the Targa, and I have a tool box live well I can use if I have to. I have also seen the multi bar corner posts work well on them, and the full length versa track will hold as many rod holders as I can put on it. It will have at least a 150 on it, and probably end up with a Terrova or Ulterra TM. Definitely going to get one with or buy a bimini, mainly so I can put front, and side curtains on it, for winter. But, those tops are also very nice in the heat of the summer. Texoma will likely be the only "big lake" we will be on.

Last edited by z289sec; 01/10/22 01:45 AM.
Re: Which new (or used) Catfish Boat [Re: z289sec] #14259321 01/23/22 01:33 AM
Z
z289sec Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Z
For anyone still following this thread, I actually went out on a SeaArk Pro Guide today, the 26 footer. Gotta say, I was quite impressed with how smooth the ride was, even over wakes of other boats. As well as how well it maneuvered. I was expecting a beating, and the precision of a school bus. Long, long way from that.

Re: Which new (or used) Catfish Boat [Re: z289sec] #14259401 01/23/22 02:56 AM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
The lake was glass when I went to get bait this evening

There is a fine line between fishing and floating around like an idiot!!
texas Check out out my YouTube channel El Gato Azul TV texas
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0aV-uOxzxKxeqFFfREzKg
⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️ Home of little boys holding big catfish! ⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️
Re: Which new (or used) Catfish Boat [Re: z289sec] #14259445 01/23/22 03:54 AM
Gophish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
The Sea Ark Pro does have a 15 degree dead rise and weighs in at 2000 lb. less engine. While not as heavy as most boats that length, 2000 lb. is not a light boat and a substantial dead rise. I would expect it to ride pretty good. However, it does not have the Carolina flare at the bow which really helps deflect the spray on a windy day.
I have spent almost a year searching for a 19 to 22 ft. I really like the Key West and Sea Hunt, but not many in this area to choose from. I presently run a 18 ft. welded aluminum CC. It's a modified V and rides rough and wet on windy days. I think I am moving to fiberglass with a bow flare.
I may be looking for a Unicorn, but I cannot accept some of todays pricing.

Re: Which new (or used) Catfish Boat [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #14259449 01/23/22 03:59 AM
Z
z289sec Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
Z
Originally Posted by 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Yeah, it was for us too. That's why I asked him to deliberately cut across the wakes of other boats every chance we got. It was a lot smoother than I was expecting. I also wasn't expecting that big tank to break 50 mph, but it did it with ease.

Re: Which new (or used) Catfish Boat [Re: z289sec] #14259455 01/23/22 04:03 AM
Gophish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Z, in the aluminum line up, I think SeaArk makes a nice boat. If I were going aluminum, they would be at the top of my list.

Re: Which new (or used) Catfish Boat [Re: z289sec] #14261066 01/24/22 02:00 PM
T
TRH (formerly xpress00) Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by z289sec
Originally Posted by 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Yeah, it was for us too. That's why I asked him to deliberately cut across the wakes of other boats every chance we got. It was a lot smoother than I was expecting. I also wasn't expecting that big tank to break 50 mph, but it did it with ease.

Saw ALOT of sea arks running this past week. Thursday, there were 30+ gusts from the N. Every single video or pic I saw of those boats were getting horrible spray. Windshields were iced over to where you couldn't see through them. Of course with the enclosure, those inside were dry, They just couldn't see, lol.

Re: Which new (or used) Catfish Boat [Re: z289sec] #14261781 01/24/22 10:55 PM
L
lovetofish10 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
I'm still looking at the crestliner 2200 bay. It seems to have most everything I want.

Re: Which new (or used) Catfish Boat [Re: z289sec] #14290751 02/20/22 11:07 PM
Bluecat Bob Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Revisitng this thread again.

Catfish Tim has just ordered his new fancy Targa 19 Deep V, and z789sec has just taken delivery of his sexy new Excel Stalker 2072 side console boat.

Nice boats and very happy campers!

I know a few folks have also indicated they are shopping new boats.

I have come to realize I like my small boat for its simplicity and easy of use. It's a Tracker Super Glide V16 with a small 40hp mercury. It's a good boat but it sucks when moving around as its so narrow, and hairy when the wind blows. I have decided I now know exactly what I want. Trouble is they don't make it - hah!

On my list of must haves:
Must be 17-18/19 feet max in length (it's only myself most of the time).
Must have a 'shaped' hull that can handle the waves (not a Jon boat).
Must have at least a 7 foot 6 beam (stability)
Must have decent size gunnels (safety)
Must have a seat that can comfortably sit on and face the stern of the boat to handle my trolling rods (I'm old and ned to sit down). This is very important.

Not interested in water sports, family trips on the water or fancy sound systems, so all that fancy stuff is expense I don't need or want.. It will be a fishing boat pure and simple. Not interest in going 60mph across the lake, although 40mph would be nice (my 20hp goes 25mph).

So a small fairly basic fishing machine, no frills, either center console or deep V, that is comfortable, safe, and able to fish out of the back sat down.

Yeah, I don't want much - hah!

Something like a smaller Crestliner Commander (17 or 18 feet) would be nice.

Any suggestions??

Last edited by Bluecat Bob; 02/21/22 12:14 AM.

Retired from the grind and enjoying life and the great outdoors ### Formerly Texas Brit ###
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide