texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,901
Posts13,955,031
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Quick experiment with jig color #14237910 01/03/22 02:15 PM
R
Ron Douthit Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
Earlier in the year I tried a bunch of different jig colors on Cedar Creek and subsequently found 2 jigs that worked well. A 1/32 white/chart hair jig in the heat of the summer and a 1/8 oz pink jig head with a ghost minnow thump chubbie. Those are the only 2 lures I've used for the last 8 months. I've had the last week and half off and on the last day off before the front decided to run a quick experiment with different jigs. First I did what I always do, hit different spots until I find active fish. Fished my first two spots (each with 5 or 6 different piles in varying depths) and only caught 1 fish at each. Moved to my 3rd spot and caught 11 in about 30 minutes. When I moved to my 4th spot and caught a fish immediately on the thump chubbie, I decided to try different jigs. On this particular spot I pitch out and let my jig swim over a slope where fish have staged. On 4 consecutive casts I caught fish on 4 different jigs. On the 5th cast with the white/chart tube jig I didn't get bit. Tried that 3 more times and nothing. Then switched back to my thump chubbie and also got no bites on 3 more pitches. I then move on down the slope and finally starting catching fish again on the thump chubbie and didn't have time to further experiment because the front was blowing in and I had to leave.

I can't really conclude that they didn't like the tube jig because of color or profile because I didn't catch anything on the thump chubbie when I switched back. Really all I can conclude is that active fish didn't really care about color. If I had tried different lures at my first 2 spots could I have enticed some somewhat inactive fish to bite ? Maybe. Or maybe I could have spent 30 minutes there trying different things and maybe caught nothing ? What I can say is by moving 1/4 mile to that 3rd spot worked without having to try different lures. I don't claim there are any absolutes in fishing and I don't claim that switching spots is 'the best' way to fish versus switching lures -- just sharing some data.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Quick experiment with jig color [Re: Ron Douthit] #14238076 01/03/22 05:02 PM
M
Mo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
I don't know who said it first , but " Color don't matter till it does" is one of my core beliefs. I believe the same about size.

Good luck

Mo

MY BACKYARD , 20,000 ACRES , NO MOWING smile
Re: Quick experiment with jig color [Re: Ron Douthit] #14238166 01/03/22 05:54 PM
R
Ron Douthit Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
Maybe it would matter if I were moving to a different lake but I've been fishing the same lake 1 to 3 times a week for 8 months and haven't had a reason to try a different color. When they stop biting that color I'll try something different. Since I'm fishing mostly open water structure the water clarity/color is fairly stable as is the primary crappie food source.

Re: Quick experiment with jig color [Re: Ron Douthit] #14238174 01/03/22 06:06 PM
K
KidKrappie Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
K
Very good observations Ron. I agree with your statement/findings. It comes down to 2 things. You can stay on a school that does not want to bite and go through 20 color combos and maybe find one to pick up a few fish or you can move to a new school and pick off the aggressive fish. I tend to move and pick off the aggressive fish. I don't feel crappie are as color oriented as most think. I think profile, action and presentation is a whole lot more important. This is just my opinion and use whatever works for you at the end of the day. We all have different ways to catch crappie and this does not mean one is better than another.

Last edited by fishin'aholic2; 01/03/22 06:10 PM.
Re: Quick experiment with jig color [Re: Ron Douthit] #14238825 01/04/22 04:51 AM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
ive has summers where I would catch 10 to one on a black.chartruese jig instead of a white and chartruese and summers where it was just the opposite. I think it is kind of a contrast thing at times, and a firm believer in light translucent colors in winter. whatever gives you confidence and produces results is what is important.
I was fishing with a guy one time and he was using a salt and pepper jig, and was catching naught.. I was reeling them in steady.. after a while he finally tied on what I had on and started catching like I was. so to me it matters. ive seen the results of color change too many times to discount it as not important.. jmo

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Quick experiment with jig color [Re: Ron Douthit] #14241354 01/06/22 06:15 PM
SLABmeSILLY Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I will add my 2cents , if I may....
I usually go by water clarity of the body of water I am fishing at the time and the cloudiness or clear sky, and day or night.
General rules:
Dark color jigs for dark sky (night time) and clear water...
Bright color jigs for muddy and clear sky...
Neutral color jigs for bright day with combination of color choice base on water clarity

Most important rule:
PRESENTATION!!!!.... be confident with the jig you have on and concerntrate on your presentations. Often times we get distracted and 2nd guess ourself on whether the jig we have on is the right color. And by overthinking, we don't give full attention to what matters most, and that is presentation. After all, if we expect a crappie to bite on a fake-food (a jig), we must somehow trick it into thinking that it is yummy just by looking at it!!!

Re: Quick experiment with jig color [Re: Ron Douthit] #14241357 01/06/22 06:16 PM
C
canyoncreek06 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Had a very interesting day last Saturday afternoon. Went out to the local lake with my buddy and we were concentrating on artificial structures in 10-12fow with water temps in the lower to mid 70's, air temp lower to mid 80's, with off and on sun and pre frontal conditions. Water clarity was pretty clear for the most part. I was fishing a BPS "Jake" in black and chartreuse and a Bonehead Brush Glider in Moon Dust most of the afternoon, He was fishing a couple of hand ties in natural shad color. During the afternoon he was putting fish in the box 2 to my one. Once the sun went down we fished for about 45 more minutes. That was when the ratio reversed to about 3 to 1 for me on the black and chart "Jake". The fish also moved up from right on the bottom to abut 6ft down. I think the black and chart really shined once the sun went down just because of the silhouette that it provided against the night sky.

Columbus took a chance and he made it.
Re: Quick experiment with jig color [Re: Ron Douthit] #14242650 01/08/22 03:07 AM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
Back in late 70s I had some chartreuse polar bear hair. Tied a red head, red thread, chart tail jig. This was right after chart was really coming on in bass lures.
Fishing Thomas Hill Res in Missouri. Three people in the boat. My red chart jig, one light yellow maribou, one light green/white maribou. No plastic bodies; all 1/8 oz. All profiles about the same size.
Found spawning crappie in very small cove. Casting to crappie, I'm catching a fish every cast. The other two, one fish about every 6 casts. Friend says is it your jig or the way you're reeling it? I said I don't know, take my rod, give me yours. He catches fish every cast, me one every 5-6 casts. Gives the rod to his son and his son catches fish every cast and Dad now one fish every 5-6 casts. I'm still catching every 5-6 casts. Get my rod back and it's fish every cast.

May not prove anything. But it may prove that how the jig was reeled back at what speed or depth wasn't the big factor. Maybe crappie just like polar bear hair. roflmao
And that color combination is still a great crappie and bass combination for me.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: Quick experiment with jig color [Re: Mo] #14242674 01/08/22 04:24 AM
E
El_Tortuga Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
Originally Posted by Mo
I don't know who said it first , but " Color don't matter till it does" is one of my core beliefs. I believe the same about size.

Good luck

Mo

So much this.

Re: Quick experiment with jig color [Re: Mo] #14242787 01/08/22 12:34 PM
S
SK. Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Originally Posted by Mo

Good luck

Mo

Or accept that stinky cat in your boat more than you want to say it....

Crappie Guide on Houston TX area lakes. Email to schedule a trip: skscrappiecatchingadventures@gmail.com or call my message line 281-301-9316

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....Onxy A/M 24 PFD's

Check Out SK's CRAPPIE Catching Adventures on YouTube....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting
Re: Quick experiment with jig color [Re: Mo] #14242987 01/08/22 04:19 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by Mo

Good luck

Mo

DUTCH said it first.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Quick experiment with jig color [Re: Ron Douthit] #14247884 01/13/22 03:33 PM
gborg Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
I have been told for years to match the hatch via profile and adapt the color to the presence of light .

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide