Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Tennis Elbow [Re: Jimmie Moreland] #14205639 11/29/21 11:36 AM
Neal G Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Pills until you can rest it, then rest for a few weeks and then strengthening
Strengthening is required, do no skip

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Tennis Elbow [Re: Jimmie Moreland] #14205700 11/29/21 01:11 PM
Outdoordude Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Rest is the only thing that will heal it. Drugs and shots will stop the pain, but the damage is still there and you'll not be able to feel when you do something that aggravates it.

I had it for about a year and half. Kept fishing through it, but used lighter rods and changed my casting form to not aggravate the damage so bad. Would have healed faster but I was doing some car work using a big breaker bar and reinjured it when it was probably 75% back.

Compression bands around the arm while working/fishing help. Ice packs and massage help ease the pain (drugs too, I just don't take any). When it stopped hurting constantly (after a few months of lighter use and being careful with it, I started working in wrist strengthening exercises as other have mentioned. Do them till it starts hurting then stop. Over time the tendons will heal and strengthen then you'll be good to go. Stick with the new casting form you learned during the recovery and it won't come back as quickly. Been about 2 years since my pain went away, all good now but I'm more careful about over torquing the elbows in any task.

Scott Jones
Re: Tennis Elbow [Re: Jimmie Moreland] #14205916 11/29/21 03:55 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I had it bad 25 years ago. One elbow was down so went to the other one for flipping. Had two cortisone applications 3 months apart and fixed it. Then, the other elbow flared up and I did the same treatment as the first affected elbow. It took two applications for both elbows, but the pain went away and hasn't came back in 25 years. Cortisone was my answer.

😎 Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions 😎

Re: Tennis Elbow [Re: Jimmie Moreland] #14205982 11/29/21 05:02 PM
TallBaldCypress Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I went to a sports medicine doc a couple of weeks ago. He prescribed a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug that eliminated the pain in 1 dose. I've taken it everyday since then and don't have the pain anymore but the issue is still there. Only time will heal it but at least it's not painful anymore. The bands help but nothing like the prescription.

I don't do cortisone shots!

Last edited by TallBaldCypress; 11/29/21 05:03 PM.
Re: Tennis Elbow [Re: Jimmie Moreland] #14206153 11/29/21 07:47 PM
G
GMTK Offline
Angler
Angler
G
Here is what I have been using, works great and has helped a ton.

https://recoupfitness.com/collections/compression-arm-sleeves/products/cryosleeve-arm

Re: Tennis Elbow [Re: Jimmie Moreland] #14206182 11/29/21 08:10 PM
GeoFisher Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Folks will say REST, but it's hard to rest an elbow if you are active. There is no real solution and that is the bottom line. Advil for pain. Ice always helped me for the local pain, but not so much with the function of the elbow itself. I have had it on and off for 30 years. Usually lasts anywhere from 4-6 months and it just kind of fades away. It got so bad at one point about 10 years ago, that I was forced to start using my left hand to flip baits. I have never tried them, but I am sure compression sleeves can help.

Last edited by GeoFisher; 11/29/21 08:10 PM.

Everything on your bass boat is broken......You just don't know it yet.
Re: Tennis Elbow [Re: Jimmie Moreland] #14206236 11/29/21 08:49 PM
Chris B Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
When I had it real bad I fished with a spinning rod in my other hand for awhile.

[Linked Image]
I hate photobucket.
Re: Tennis Elbow [Re: Jimmie Moreland] #14206345 11/29/21 10:36 PM
davidsears Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
Dannie Golden, a fishing guide on Lake Ray Roberts had to get elbow surgery a couple of years ago because of fishing elbow. I remember him telling me he couldn't shampoo his hair because he lost mobility of his arm. He guided several weeks and couldn't fish with his clients. In the end, he had to get surgery. Stop fishing for several weeks, get a compression sleeve and wear it all the time, sleep with it on during this time, only take it off to shower. I wear one every time I fish now. I went to the doc and this is what they told me and I listened. I was fishing 4 days a week at the time and loving it, so it was hard not to fish, but I didn't want to go thru what Dannie had to, so I complied. I was on anti-inflammatory drug for a very short period, but I am not a pill taken kind of guy. I read in a magazine that a superstar sprinter was having knee problems and her nutritionist told he to eat a lot of pineapple which is good for reducing inflammation. Not hard to do if you like pineapple, so I added that to my diet as well. I hope this helps. The drugs will ease the pain, but they won't solve the problem.

Re: Tennis Elbow [Re: Jimmie Moreland] #14206360 11/29/21 10:49 PM
slim 285 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Get rid of braid will help salon as take a few months off

Re: Tennis Elbow [Re: SkeeterRonnie] #14206539 11/30/21 12:47 AM
9094 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by SkeeterRonnie
curious.. do you use flonase ? I had to stop using it because it was exacerbating the joint pains. I use 800mg ibuprofen when the tennis elbow flares up. When using Flonase (nasal steroid for allergy relief) it made it worse. My thought is the dose was entering my bloodstream easily and causing the tendons to become less flexible.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1237870
Abstract. In five patients, tendon ruptures occurred in association with corticosteroid therapy, either systemic or local infiltration. The chronic nature of the pain in all of these patients suggests that what we often call tendinitis may in fact be early or partial ruptures of tendons. Patients who receive local infiltration of corticosteroids should perhaps be advised of the risk of a ruptured tendon.

Cited by: 112
Publish Year: 1977
Author: Alan A. Halpern, Bruce G. Horowitz, Donald A. Nagel

If you get a cortisone shot and it ruptured a tendon you are letting a quack work on you.
I’ve had several and if the doc knows what he is doing not only will you not have to worry about a rupture but will have instant relief.

Re: Tennis Elbow [Re: 9094] #14206657 11/30/21 02:20 AM
4Weight Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by 9094
Originally Posted by SkeeterRonnie
curious.. do you use flonase ? I had to stop using it because it was exacerbating the joint pains. I use 800mg ibuprofen when the tennis elbow flares up. When using Flonase (nasal steroid for allergy relief) it made it worse. My thought is the dose was entering my bloodstream easily and causing the tendons to become less flexible.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1237870
Abstract. In five patients, tendon ruptures occurred in association with corticosteroid therapy, either systemic or local infiltration. The chronic nature of the pain in all of these patients suggests that what we often call tendinitis may in fact be early or partial ruptures of tendons. Patients who receive local infiltration of corticosteroids should perhaps be advised of the risk of a ruptured tendon.

Cited by: 112
Publish Year: 1977
Author: Alan A. Halpern, Bruce G. Horowitz, Donald A. Nagel

If you get a cortisone shot and it ruptured a tendon you are letting a quack work on you.
I’ve had several and if the doc knows what he is doing not only will you not have to worry about a rupture but will have instant relief.

Exactly. Go see an Orthopod.

Last edited by 4Weight; 11/30/21 02:20 AM.

Aztec Anglers San Juan River Guide Service
www.aztecanglers.com
Re: Tennis Elbow [Re: Jimmie Moreland] #14206698 11/30/21 02:50 AM
J
Jersey Dan Offline
Guido
Guido
J
I know all about this...

Last November I was at Falcon trying to get a crankbait out of a fn brush pile with the telescopic pole in rough water and something bad happended to my arm. A day or two later i was in 10/10 pain on the arm every cast and had to cut my trip short.

Every day the pain got worse back home and i couldn't even hold a cup of jack with my arm. I had my two week trip to Baccarrac coming in January and I had pretty much written the trip off because the pain was that bad. In December i started going to a sports doctor in hopes that I could get my casting arm back to any type of use.

The 4 big take aways I can give you are this:

- You need to reverse curl excercises with a 3lb weight.
- You need to strech. Extend your arm straight out, take your good arm and press down on the bad wrist for a minute or two at a time.
- You need to go to the sports doctor and have them run the electricity tool thru that elbow.
- The air cast is beyond clutch. Without that I dont think I would have been able to do anything.

I went out to Baccarrac with an untested arm for 3 months due to this injury and cranked for 12 hrs a day for 10 days straight. The elbow got stronger every day putting it to use. As others have said flipping was not even a possibility. I tried making a couple flips in some hardwoods down there and could not do it.The motion was gone and the pain was incredible.

As of right now I think my arm is 100% but who knows until you are tested with hand to hand combat and 80lb braid hooksets.

Notice the aircast in the pic. Had to wear it above the shirt cus after a few days the plastic really starts cutting into your arm.

You need to throw moving baits until your arm heals and fish often. Advil and also those frozen ice sleeves are clutch before and after are key. The tips i mentioned above though are golden. I took this sh*t serious

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Tennis Elbow [Re: Jimmie Moreland] #14206951 11/30/21 02:11 PM
M
montgomery Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
I did the PRP injection left elbow 7 years ago and the right elbow 4 yrs ago no problems since. I use a guy down in Houston
www.houstonsportsdoctor.com

Re: Tennis Elbow [Re: Jimmie Moreland] #14207777 12/01/21 10:53 AM
O
OIF3 Offline
Angler
Angler
O
Look up wrist ball trainer, yeah I know funny name but it works.

"If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking"
George S. Patton
Re: Tennis Elbow [Re: Jimmie Moreland] #14207803 12/01/21 11:53 AM
Hard Rain Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
I have had both elbow and shoulder issues probably from a bad car wreck in 2000 where that same arm was broken in 2 places. The shoulder and elbow issues showed up many years later I opted to use Dr Manu Singhal at Flower Mound Orthopedics. No surgery but cortisone shots and a ton of physical therapy both on site and at home for months. It took awhile but finally the pain was gone and so far has not returned and that was several years ago. You have to really stay with with the PT stretching exercises to make it work and last.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide