Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Strain! #14187490 11/11/21 02:53 PM
Gilly1991 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A topic I haven't seen talked about as much as I think it deserves; Strain of bass you are targeting.

Being from the south but having fished all over the country I have noticed when comparing baits/techniques/weather everyone always fails to mention if it's Florida or Northerns they're after.
While given, there are baseline fundamentals that we all follow: a person who cut their teeth anywhere it snows regularly, may have trouble coming to Texas and replicating the success they are accustomed to. Now this holds true the other way around to an extent. The Northerns are MUCH more aggressive and grow considerably slower(not only due to water temperatures, but DNA as well). Florida strains are going to grow bigger, be more predictable but fight much less aggressively. The weather also plays a much bigger role in the life of a Florida strain fish. A real cold front with a sudden 15 degree drop in air temperature can have a lake in a funk for dang near a week. Making you work for any and every bite you get. While I have a lot less experience with Northerns, I have yet to see this being the case to such an extent. So, just because a bait/technique is working for someone in Maine, it doesn't mean if you go out and buy the same bait that it will produce the same way in Louisiana. Don't get discouraged; find out what strain you're fishing for and learn how to catch them.

Very Respectfully,
Nick Gilman.

P.S.
Happy Veterans Day to all my Shipmates out there!

If you think you're the smartest man in the room, you're not. If you know you're the smartest man in the room, find a different room.
Re: Strain! [Re: Gilly1991] #14188085 11/12/21 12:27 AM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Unless you “high game fence” fish in Texas there is nearly 100% chance the fish you are catching throughout the states public waters are a mix of both strains.

Re: Strain! [Re: Gilly1991] #14188288 11/12/21 03:23 AM
W
Whistlebritches Offline
Angler
Angler
W
Originally Posted by NickGilman7249
A topic I haven't seen talked about as much as I think it deserves; Strain of bass you are targeting.

Being from the south but having fished all over the country I have noticed when comparing baits/techniques/weather everyone always fails to mention if it's Florida or Northerns they're after.
While given, there are baseline fundamentals that we all follow: a person who cut their teeth anywhere it snows regularly, may have trouble coming to Texas and replicating the success they are accustomed to. Now this holds true the other way around to an extent. The Northerns are MUCH more aggressive and grow considerably slower(not only due to water temperatures, but DNA as well). Florida strains are going to grow bigger, be more predictable but fight much less aggressively. The weather also plays a much bigger role in the life of a Florida strain fish. A real cold front with a sudden 15 degree drop in air temperature can have a lake in a funk for dang near a week. Making you work for any and every bite you get. While I have a lot less experience with Northerns, I have yet to see this being the case to such an extent. So, just because a bait/technique is working for someone in Maine, it doesn't mean if you go out and buy the same bait that it will produce the same way in Louisiana. Don't get discouraged; find out what strain you're fishing for and learn how to catch them.

Very Respectfully,
Nick Gilman.

P.S.
Happy Veterans Day to all my Shipmates out there!

While I rarely bass fish anymore lakes around me all have mixed strain,leftover northerns from days gone by mixed with the more recent Florida strain stock.That being said you are correct,bass behave differently in different climates

Right back at ya Shipmate

On Time,On Target,Never Quit
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide