TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by tmd11111
Originally Posted by Douglas J
[quote=tmd11111][quote=Douglas J][quote=Classic Fiberglass]In 2015 we were building parts (lids and consoles) for a saltwater boat company. After awhile they wanted us to build all of the boat. The boat was a 22' flats boat and very light. We were only going to build the hull, deck, string system, lids and console and assemble those items to the boat. The boat would be finished somewhere else. We figured $3500 in labor and $3500 in materials. $7000 to build a 22' boat in 2015 would probably be around $10k now. Those boats were selling for $70k in 2015

Well here is the answer I suspected.

Thanks Chris for the insider info.

Regardless, if you want a boat you must pay what it costs to buy it. It's nice to know the boat manufactures are likely not starving.

I think Chris said the cost of the hull was going to retail for $70K, not the complete rigged boat.

And even it was a complete boat, you are talking $63K more for a motor and accessories. In 2015 a 250 HP outboard was around $13-15K. Electronics could have been $4K, power poles $4K, hyd JP $2K, and trailer, misc items and rigging another $10K

That's $42K and I used retail pricing for everything. Makes the margin around 55-65%

Not too shabby

Hugh's boat was bought in 2020, 5 years ago the prices on everything was easily 15-20% less.

I would say a fully rigged 21 foot "decent" bass boat completely rigged cost is $45-55K today. I bet there is $20-35K to be made down the line on selling a new boat.

It is what it is, if you want to play you have to pay.

I really do not need to know, just a discussion.

By the way how do you like Caymas? What did you run prior?

No Caymas here. Picked up a Phoenix a few months ago. Previous rig was a bay boat and prior to that was a Triton

10-4, That's right a slick black Phoenix

#MFGA
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: New Bass Boat Cost [Re: ssmith] #14150920 10/05/21 02:29 AM
D
Douglas J Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted by ssmith
if dealers were making 20 to 35 k on a boat there would be one on every corner they have been doing great the last 2 years but believe me it wont last . manufacturers are behind an cant get enough folks who want to work or parts to keep the line moving they will eventually catch up with sales nobody really knows when that will be.

Who said dealers were making that amount per boat? I said, "I bet there is $20-35K to be made down the line on selling a new boat". Meaning from the manufacturer to the dealer and then all the after market accessory companies in between.

#MFGA
Re: New Bass Boat Cost [Re: Douglas J] #14150923 10/05/21 02:31 AM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
[quote=Douglas J][quote=Classic Fiberglass]In 2015 we were building parts (lids and consoles) for a saltwater boat company. After awhile they wanted us to build all of the boat. The boat was a 22' flats boat and very light. We were only going to build the hull, deck, string system, lids and console and assemble those items to the boat. The boat would be finished somewhere else. We figured $3500 in labor and $3500 in materials. $7000 to build a 22' boat in 2015 would probably be around $10k now. Those boats were selling for $70k in 2015

Regardless, if you want a boat you must pay what it costs to buy it. It's nice to know the boat manufactures are likely not starving.

I think Chris said the cost of the hull was going to retail for $70K, not the complete rigged boat.

And even it was a complete boat, you are talking $63K more for a motor and accessories. In 2015 a 250 HP outboard was around $13-15K. Electronics could have been $4K, power poles $4K, hyd JP $2K, and trailer, misc items and rigging another $10K

That's $42K and I used retail pricing for everything. Makes the margin around 55-65%

Not too shabby

You should read WAWI's post above yours then recalculate.

Hugh's boat was bought in 2020, 5 years ago the prices on everything was easily 15-20% less.

I would say a fully rigged 21 foot "decent" bass boat completely rigged cost is $45-55K today. I bet there is $20-35K to be made down the line on selling a new boat.

It is what it is, if you want to play you have to pay.

I really do not need to know, just a discussion.

By the way how do you like Caymas? What did you run prior?

Mine was this year 2021. Pretty much had to pick from on hand stock as wait times were long

Re: New Bass Boat Cost [Re: Douglas J] #14150925 10/05/21 02:33 AM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
And in normal times I wouldnt buy new, i still think the 2 year old boat with warranty is the way to go but I was looking for something specific. And the used market is nuts right now

Re: New Bass Boat Cost [Re: Rayzor] #14150956 10/05/21 03:16 AM
D
David Burton Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
Originally Posted by Rayzor
Originally Posted by Jpurdue
As others have mentioned, engines and electronics are major contributors as well. I can buy a 60" HD TV with wifi and every other bell and whistle you can think of for $500. Yet a 12" fish finder costs 3000 bucks. Head scratcher for me.

Yes, this seems crazy but it is all about supply and demand. There are probably (swag) 10,000 TVs sold for every graph sold. The one good thing is that you can pay $500 for a graph that would have cost you $2,000 years ago. I paid $1,500 dollars for a 6" black & white graph in 2000. You can buy a heck of a lot more than a B&W 6" graph now for that kind of money.

Add on that when they first came out, those HD TVs were upwards of $6,000. The prices came down because the technology didn't change. The difference with graphs is the change in tech. If you get the same tech from 5 years ago on a graph, you're paying much less!

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Re: New Bass Boat Cost [Re: WAWI] #14150990 10/05/21 04:39 AM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Originally Posted by WAWI
Originally Posted by Classic Fiberglass
In 2015 we were building parts (lids and consoles) for a saltwater boat company. After awhile they wanted us to build all of the boat. The boat was a 22' flats boat and very light. We were only going to build the hull, deck, string system, lids and console and assemble those items to the boat. The boat would be finished somewhere else. We figured $3500 in labor and $3500 in materials. $7000 to build a 22' boat in 2015 would probably be around $10k now. Those boats were selling for $70k in 2015

There's a whole lot left out between that $7000 stripped hull and a completed rig selling for $70,000

Yup, besides the obvious engine, rigging, a few hundred parts, hinges etc, you have the whole other pile of fixed costs like electricity, payroll, property tax, computer stuff, insurance, liability and workmans comp, the trailer, cost of warranty claims, fixing the employee bathroom, etc etc it can go on for pages just like any other business. All that stuff has to get covered by the boat cost or they go outa business and we are all peddling around in a row boat.

In 2015 we were building parts (lids and consoles) for a saltwater boat company. After awhile they wanted us to build all of the boat. The boat was a 22' flats boat and very light. We were only going to build the hull, deck, string system, lids and console and assemble those items to the boat. The boat would be finished somewhere else. We figured $3500 in labor and $3500 in materials. $7000 to build a 22' boat in 2015 would probably be around $10k now. Those boats were selling for $70k in 2015

There's a whole lot left out between that $7000 stripped hull and a completed rig selling for $70,000

Yup, besides the obvious engine, rigging, a few hundred parts, hinges etc, you have the whole other pile of fixed costs like electricity, payroll, property tax, computer stuff, insurance, liability and workmans comp, the trailer, cost of warranty claims, fixing the employee bathroom, etc etc it can go on for pages just like any other business. All that stuff has to get covered by the boat cost or they go outa business and we are all peddling around in a row boat.

Those are the same expenses that almost every business has but somehow most offer products without the extreme margins for the most part.

Re: New Bass Boat Cost [Re: Douglas J] #14151076 10/05/21 11:41 AM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Most deal in higher volume so all this stuff is spread out between more transactions bass boats arent a volume business. If you think there is a pile of money to be made A. Start a company and build boats, b. How come they go outa business all the time.

Re: New Bass Boat Cost [Re: Douglas J] #14151082 10/05/21 11:48 AM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
I would also add that bass boats are luxury items, nobody needs a bass boat, just like nobody needs a Rolex, I bet the margin on those things is pretty high also.

Re: New Bass Boat Cost [Re: Fishspanker] #14151127 10/05/21 01:01 PM
TallBaldCypress Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by TallBaldCypress
Can they even build more than 20,000 bass boats? Takes 12+ weeks to get one. I would think that volume would be the best way to get costs down but who wants to work harder for less when they can sell every single boat they produce for a premium.

I would be surprised if a boat manufacturer did better than 7% net so they probably already feel like their boats are too cheap.

Just look at the expenditures of manufacturers. Either the people who own the company are paying out all their money and making zero or their margins are way higher than 7%. If a smaller company only produces 100 boats a year at $80k a piece then their profited would be roughly $560k a year at 7%. That’s not bad, plus you figure in markup on every bolt on add to the boats and their is more profit.

I still say their margins are closer to 18-20%. Just a guess

I just don't believe it's that high after all the free boats, demos, insurance, taxes, c suite salaries, labor burden, marketing expense, etc etc etc etc.

Originally Posted by Fishspanker

I doubt anyone is in it for 7% except maybe during a bear market.. Lots of easier ways to get that ROI without smelling all the fiberglass.

Invest a couple million to start it up, turn that into $8m in revenue that you net $560,000/yr on forever or until you sell it for 7X EBIDA or $7,000,000 That's pretty strong. 2m into 20m over 20 years.

Last edited by TallBaldCypress; 10/05/21 01:02 PM.
Re: New Bass Boat Cost [Re: TallBaldCypress] #14151148 10/05/21 01:16 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Can they even build more than 20,000 bass boats? Takes 12+ weeks to get one. I would think that volume would be the best way to get costs down but who wants to work harder for less when they can sell every single boat they produce for a premium.

I would be surprised if a boat manufacturer did better than 7% net so they probably already feel like their boats are too cheap.

Just look at the expenditures of manufacturers. Either the people who own the company are paying out all their money and making zero or their margins are way higher than 7%. If a smaller company only produces 100 boats a year at $80k a piece then their profited would be roughly $560k a year at 7%. That’s not bad, plus you figure in markup on every bolt on add to the boats and their is more profit.

I still say their margins are closer to 18-20%. Just a guess

I just don't believe it's that high after all the free boats, demos, insurance, taxes, c suite salaries, labor burden, marketing expense, etc etc etc etc.

Originally Posted by Fishspanker

I doubt anyone is in it for 7% except maybe during a bear market.. Lots of easier ways to get that ROI without smelling all the fiberglass.

Invest a couple million to start it up, turn that into $8m in revenue that you net $560,000/yr on forever or until you sell it for 7X EBIDA or $7,000,000 That's pretty strong. 2m into 20m over 20 years.

Free boats from a company are very rare. Even a lot of the tournament trails giving away boats as a prize are buying them at cost etc. Those boat companies can also write off some of those costs as advertising.

Re: New Bass Boat Cost [Re: Douglas J] #14151181 10/05/21 01:47 PM
n_texas_basser Offline
Angler
Angler
There are a ton of factors causing boats to increase over the past few years including cost of materials, less people being able to afford a new one/i.e. less sales/lower volume of sales overall, new technology added to boats that didn't exist or were rare on a bass boat a decade ago: more than 2 high dollar graphs, shallow water anchors, GPS controlled trolling motors, jack plates, hydrowaves, heated seats, oxygenators, lithium batteries, deck lights, cameras in live wells and motor cost increases, I could go on and on. A typical high end hull and trailer cost is about $45-50k, a 4 stroke motor $18k-20k.. so the hull, trailer, and motor alone is already pushing $70k. Then add all the other bells and whistles and it's easy to be in the low $80k's and a decked out boat will be touching the mid $90k. The dealer doesn't make all the profit, the boat manufacturer has to make a profit, each supplier (motor, graph, etc.) has to make a profit AND the dealer has to make a profit. If you want the latest and greatest and what the pro's are running, then there's no way around it other than buying used, OR don't get all these bells and whistles and you'll you can save about $8-$10k, BUT once you get this fancy stuff on your boat, good luck justifying you don't need it on your next one. .. grin

.204 Ballistic 300R - Speed, Ride, Fishability!
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: New Bass Boat Cost [Re: Douglas J] #14151226 10/05/21 02:27 PM
B
Bass Buster1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Here are a few new boat questions...does anyone catch more or bigger fish or win more tournaments after they buy the brand new boat with all the cool stuff on it? Does the tech translate into success for most folks? If I upgrade from my 92 Javelin 389T (which runs and fishes great) will it improve my success or will I just look cooler catching my small fish and zeroing grin

BTW, I do not fault anyone for buying things they want if they can afford to. I just bought a $3600 table saw.

See you on the lake and have a great day!
Re: New Bass Boat Cost [Re: Douglas J] #14151244 10/05/21 02:46 PM
rkd Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
I upgraded a couple of years ago from a 20+ year old highly reliable boat to a new shiny 2018 model with all the bells and whistles.....and I've caught significantly fewer fish than I used to. Only thing I can say is I've been more comfortable while zeroing.

Re: New Bass Boat Cost [Re: Douglas J] #14151248 10/05/21 02:49 PM
Billy Blazer 300 HPDI Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
There are more new boats around Lake Sam Rayburn than stars in the Sky and everyother one is a Phoenix with a 4 strock Merc. on the back.

Thanks, Billy
Re: New Bass Boat Cost [Re: Bass Buster1] #14151259 10/05/21 02:57 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
Originally Posted by Bass Buster1
Here are a few new boat questions...does anyone catch more or bigger fish or win more tournaments after they buy the brand new boat with all the cool stuff on it? Does the tech translate into success for most folks? If I upgrade from my 92 Javelin 389T (which runs and fishes great) will it improve my success or will I just look cooler catching my small fish and zeroing grin

BTW, I do not fault anyone for buying things they want if they can afford to. I just bought a $3600 table saw.

My 2012 ranger was a fishy boat, my new cat isnt very fishy, I'm gonna file a warranty claim and see if Mr. Pierce can correct that problem.....

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide