Print Thread
Fish Head Soup #14136635 09/21/21 01:26 PM
J
Juggernaut30 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
So I took the advice of some of the guys on the forum and revamped my trotline with 8/0 hooks and longer leaders. I set it yesterday on the north end of Sam Rayburn. Had a little trouble catching bait in my cast net so I baited up with 4 live perch and 19 pieces of cutbait. I set the line at 7:30 last night and was back on it at 6:45 this morning, as soon as I could see. And this is what I caught. Several pieces of cut and one live bait were untouched but at least half a dozen were missing.

You can't tell from the pic but that was a 4-5 pound channel. It was covered in mud like it had been rolled around on the bottom. I have seen a lot of gar every time I go out (longnose) [Linked Image]
and caught a few turtles too but this was a swampy area to so maybe a gator? I have no idea. I had to pull the line because weather is coming in and all I have is a canoe. I'm trying not to be all negative Nancy but this is getting pretty discouraging.

Poets talk about "spots of time," but it is really fishermen who experience eternity compressed into a moment. No one can tell what a spot of time is until suddenly the whole world is a fish and the fish is gone. I shall remember that son of a ***** forever. - Norman Maclean
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Fish Head Soup [Re: Juggernaut30] #14137011 09/21/21 07:10 PM
N
Nickbyrd Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
N
You ever get a chance on the weekand to go all night ? Like chill on the bank drink a beverage or two go out and check em every hour or 2 and Rebait and repeat ? Take a buddy with you to help and have some company ,run multiple lines , with different baits in separate spots (multiple days if you can swing it ) . You’ll figure out everything you need and answer all your own questions like : what they want , where they are , where they are not , what’s eating your fish , are you soaking your line too long , are you checking your line too fast , are they getting off on there own because of hooks ect ect

Last edited by Nickbyrd; 09/21/21 07:28 PM.
Re: Fish Head Soup [Re: Nickbyrd] #14137132 09/21/21 09:06 PM
J
Juggernaut30 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Thanks Nickbyrd. I haven't been able to do that yet because I work out of town so I don't see the wife and kids all week and I can't seem to get them interested in an all night fishing trip on the weekend smile I have been checking out a lot of stuff on the forum about trotlines though from yourself and a guy named Lynn I think? I think my line and tackle are ok and I need to diversify my bait to include chicken breasts and other things. I mainly need to figure out where to set my line. I keep thinking I'm in the zone but I'm apparently not.

That being said, the irony isn't lost on me that I used a small fish head to catch a much larger fish head, so there's something to laugh about at least. I'm going to try some good ole bank fishing tonight after the rain and leave the canoe at home I think.

Poets talk about "spots of time," but it is really fishermen who experience eternity compressed into a moment. No one can tell what a spot of time is until suddenly the whole world is a fish and the fish is gone. I shall remember that son of a ***** forever. - Norman Maclean
Re: Fish Head Soup [Re: Juggernaut30] #14137916 09/22/21 04:59 PM
N
Nickbyrd Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
N
Originally Posted by Juggernaut30
Thanks Nickbyrd. I haven't been able to do that yet because I work out of town so I don't see the wife and kids all week and I can't seem to get them interested in an all night fishing trip on the weekend smile I have been checking out a lot of stuff on the forum about trotlines though from yourself and a guy named Lynn I think? I think my line and tackle are ok and I need to diversify my bait to include chicken breasts and other things. I mainly need to figure out where to set my line. I keep thinking I'm in the zone but I'm apparently not.

That being said, the irony isn't lost on me that I used a small fish head to catch a much larger fish head, so there's something to laugh about at least. I'm going to try some good ole bank fishing tonight after the rain and leave the canoe at home I think.

Ahhhh I see, we are in the same boat . That out of town all the time bs is for the birds . But I’ll keep checking in with ya sir . Hope u eventually land the monster your after!!!!

Last edited by Nickbyrd; 09/22/21 05:00 PM.
Re: Fish Head Soup [Re: Nickbyrd] #14138412 09/23/21 03:15 AM
J
Juggernaut30 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
I'm sure gonna try!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide