Page 15 of 20 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 19 20
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14130046 09/15/21 01:23 AM
P
prosise Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Me and Marlin meet up after the light rain/wind. Looked around the island which was a bust. Went over to murrell point, nothing at all at the end. Eased up to the cove and caught some fish. Many small, but we did get some fish in the cooler. Lots of bait over near the mouth of the cove in front of the small marina. Had a good visit and many laughter. Short update, but I'm watching a movie with Mama.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14130063 09/15/21 01:39 AM
J
JWC Nauticstar Offline
Angler
Angler
J
It was a fun evening. So that was Marlin. we tried a few other spots but Murrell was the good spot tonight. We left at 6:30, but they were still there when we left.

Did you see the idiot that just parked in the middle of the parking lot at Meadowmere? Tons of spaces to park at legally and the little suv decided right in the middle would be just fine.[Linked Image]

Last edited by JWC Nauticstar; 09/15/21 12:56 PM.
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14131264 09/16/21 02:10 AM
M
Marlin Rando Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
M
Had a great time Prosise. Sorry we ran your batteries dead . I’ll get my anchor chain fixed soon. Learned how to catch them off the bottom and was really fun . Thanks for the company and the guidance . You’re a good dude

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14131318 09/16/21 03:08 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Marlin, let's do it again.

Jwc: yes i saw the parking pirate, thought someone was in the car until i pulled up next to them. Suprised they didn't get s ticket.

9-15-21
Fished from 5:30am to 730pm. Bass bite is good shallow in the morning, and then I went deep by 10am.. I roamed around the lake and fished rocks/structure fast in the AM. About 9am I was in the cover at murrell point. The boat ramp on the west side was saturated with bait. I eased out on the shallow point of murrell, many large schools of shad. I didn't see much working the shad, and only caught one as I went thru the bait. About 2pm I took a break, looked around the deeper side of the island area. Nothing but small sandies, so I went over and fished some of the new brush. Caught my PB on Crappie, was a cool thing to see a crappie with that large of a mouth.. Went back to fishing for bass about 4:30 and the day ended good. I never did get back to murrell to see if the sandbass would repeat from yesterday.

Big Crappie

Snapshot of the many schools of bait at the shallow area closest to the bank at murrell point.
[Linked Image]

Here is a sidescan of a group of bass concentrated on a hump near the bank, was fun working them. I thought they might not be bass, but they jumped on the worm.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 09/16/21 03:18 AM.
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14131660 09/16/21 03:51 PM
J
JWC Nauticstar Offline
Angler
Angler
J
I will be out this afternoon 9/16 with the neighbor to chase sandies again. Hope to see you guys again. Marlin if you need to tie off again just throw a rope. That Ulterra will keep us on the spot. Hope the wind won't be as strong this afternoon.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14132129 09/16/21 11:17 PM
_
__TX__ Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
_
I need to come check this lake out. My 8 year old is getting burned out on going bass fishing and catching 2 or 3 fish a trip.. I need to get him into some sand bass... Does it get crowded friday evenings?

2001 TRACKER V-18 TOURNAMENT
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14132336 09/17/21 01:26 AM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Neat thread. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14132345 09/17/21 01:36 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
The only thing i would say about evenings, is you might have to deal with an occasional idiot driving a wake boat. But other than that, it's not a bad lake. If you want to throw a curveball, take your kids up to the beach on the west end. It's a mini seashore to let them stretch their legs, and take a swim. Right now i think Gv is an evening bite, but if you know where to go you can catch small sandbass any time of the day. It's all about the bait, in my opinion. It's not a stellar lake by any means, but it has fish.

I didn't like the lake 20 years ago, but i started fishing it frequently about 5 years ago. Meet many good people, and then crossed paths with someone who had it out for the green bass like myself. He is teaching me the lake, and it's like i don't even see the water anymore. All i see is structure, water temp, and trying to pattern the green fish (largemouth). This is something i have been doing all my life . When you think you know the lake, you get humbled. When i need a break i switch to the sandbass to recharge my batteries. There are many great fisherman on this lake, and i have been very pleased with the men and women i have crossed paths with.

Prosise

Last edited by prosise; 09/17/21 11:12 AM.
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: __TX__] #14132655 09/17/21 01:15 PM
J
JWC Nauticstar Offline
Angler
Angler
J
We went last evening from 5 to 7 pm and we only went to the east Murrell point area. We had to hunt for them but once you find them it is on for like an hour + straight. I would say half are 9 1/2" long and the other may range up to 13". No monsters but plenty to keep you busy. 1oz slabs on the bottom from 18' to 24'. Color didn't seem to matter.
Had the lake to ourselves last night. Only one wake board boat. I don't think Friday will be too bad now that Labor Day is over.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: JWC Nauticstar] #14133983 09/18/21 03:42 PM
M
Marlin Rando Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
M
JWC Nauticstar: that was you in the center console ? Love that boat btw. I may take you up on the tie up one day. Spot lock t motor on my list but will probably be looking at spring to purchase . I’m a new boater and this is my first boat of my own. Cheers .

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: Marlin Rando] #14134657 09/19/21 01:10 PM
J
JWC Nauticstar Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Thanks! It does cost alot but they are game changers.
I use it just to launch my boat on days the wind isn't too bad also.

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14135202 09/19/21 10:53 PM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Launched at 5:30 and fished for the green fish.. Bass bite is good from 6 to 7, then it got exponentially tougher every hour. Had 4 keepers pushing 9 pounds by 7 and the first fish hit the boat at 6:15. Had a good morning, and looked around some in the marinas for hidden treasures. Crossed paths with Marlin and his son Cooper, and we picked up a few sandbass. We looked over by the island area, then near murrell. Not seeing the bait that I was seeing on wed. We still picked up some fish, but it was not the non-stop fun that you would expect. We caught most of our good keepers on the humps near the island area. They were moving thru fast, and not much seen on the graph. The high spots seemed to be the favor for them, but not much bait seen in the area.
Hot as hades, and I did take several dips in the lake. After they left I went looking for crappie, caught a bunch up on a brush pile I found in the dove ramp cove.. There is a brush pile due east of the no-wake zone bouy sitting in 20 ft of water. Caught about 20 crappie, but only about 8 were keepers. No monsters. Moon was low on the horizon, but was really nice to see when I launched. There is a new dock at dove ramp, it is one of the long plastic docks similar to the one at farris branch. The dock is to the right of the ramp, and extends way out into the lake.

Take care all

Moon was bright when I left Dove ramp..

[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 09/19/21 11:47 PM.
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14135875 09/20/21 04:57 PM
FattyMcButterpants Offline
Arms Up!
Arms Up!
Love the quick trip to the vine. After school starts it’s almost empty.

Great thread!!!

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14136242 09/21/21 12:22 AM
P
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Launched at 4am at dove and fished for the green fish until about 6:30am, co-worker that only fishes saltwater came out to wet a line. He has fished a long time, but not in fresh water. He lives in Houston area, and works here in the Dallas area. He commutes back to home on the weekends, and this was a weekend he was staying in town. We worked the left side main point of twin coves and he caught his first bass (not bad for your first bass ever in my opinion). Bass fishing has been kind of tough lately, so we headed out looking for some sandies. There is allot of bait at the mouth of Twin Coves, so we headed out towards the Rock crusher to the waypoint I had from early in the thread. Fish were there, but it was sporadic. Mr. "L" used the med size cordell spoon, and I used the larger slab. We caught fish for a long time before it started to die off. We were mainly casting out away from the boat, and working it back. We went looking around up the lake a bit, but nothing was found. Ran across another hump that had some fish, and caught a good bit of sandbass with a good catfish. We left there and checked around but not much seen, eased back to the original waypoint and caught fish until it started to get boring. He caught his first largemouth, blue cat, sand bass, and wanted to get him a crappie. We headed back towards the ramp (Dove), and hit the brush pile I mentioned yesterday. I caught two crappie, and then he hooked something big. Ended up catching a carp, which was a good fight. The jig he was using was dipped in garlic, which is probably the reason for the carp. Headed back and dropped Mr. "L" off and there was a boat at the dock with a dog in it. The owner was from Lubbock, but never fished GV before. I told him I would give him the waypoint, but he said he didn't think he knew how to put it into the graph. We ran out to the spot, and had a good visit. He is a bass fisherman, and good people in my book. He was down for business and brought his Dog, and boat to pass the time. Was a good day out on the lake, and really was good seeing some good fishing.. Dadgum, I have no idea how many fish we caught today. I am doing some video work, and it has to be in the 200+ fish range. We did catch some small fish today, I would say that 40% of the fish we caught today were in the 11" range. We did run into a couple of schools of decent fish, but not many.. These two waypoints is the only two spots we sat. They are pretty much due north of the crusher. You will see a water color change as you go up, the upper lake has turned and you will see the water color change. This is where we are fishing. Hooked one large Gar with the spoon today, but it jumped and threw the spoon. Take care all. All fish released to fight another day. All fish caught slowly raising the spoon off the bottom, and letting it fall back down. Similar to fishing a worm... They are right on the bottom.. When your catching sandbass and you catch many catfish, you know your in the right spot.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by prosise; 09/21/21 12:38 AM.
Re: Grapevine Lake [Re: prosise] #14136285 09/21/21 01:11 AM
J
JWC Nauticstar Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Great report!

Page 15 of 20 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 19 20
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide