Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: The dog days.... [Re: Miggz] #14111425 08/28/21 02:59 PM
Diezel_Rocker Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted by Miggz
Just wondering if anyone else is getting beat up by the "dog days" out on the lake?? Fished Friday/Sat/Sun on 2 lakes....caught 3 fish including getting skunked on one of the lakes.....just curious if it was the hot, high pressure (bluebird skies), or if I need to start working on a new hobby? Hope yalls weekend was better than mine!

I fished Lake Lewisville yesterday from 2-6PM. Ended up catching 14 bass- all on a squarebill. Largest was 3.5lbs but most were under 1lb. Honestly, best numbers day I ever had on LL. I was shocked but it was a great feeling. I found a pattern and was able to repeat it on numerous points. Angle was critical. It would have been easy to go to the next point but I paid attention to each cast and repeated that same cast after I got bit. On one point I caught fish on 4 consecutive casts.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: The dog days.... [Re: Jack46] #14111439 08/28/21 03:16 PM
ReelSlow Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by Jack46
Originally Posted by Tx Tree Grower
I've learned that I seem to be opposite from most bass fishermen. I can almost always catch them when it's hot. However, I HATE fall and winter fishing. Fall and winter fishing is almost always a grind for me. Saturday was a typical summer full moon day for us. Morning bite was off, but we had probably 30+ fish from 11am to 1pm. The good news for tournament fishermen that struggle during the summer is that there are hardly any tournaments so it doesn't effect you in that way. Guess I need to swap a trip with some of you guys that seem to love fishing in the fall.

Hello TTree,
You are doing routinely what all the rest of us only wish

We can’t even catch a bite,

You are clearly the ONLY BASS FISHERMAN posting here on this particular thread that knows something special

You are the only bass fisherman here that knows how,

We can’t catch 1 bass or even get a bite in

All of us certainly need your help

Wow
I had to read that twice

roflmao

GOD is good!
Re: The dog days.... [Re: Rube G.] #14111581 08/28/21 06:06 PM
B
basscaster46 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted by Rube G.
You might try it at night.

Gotta have a breeze to fish at night keeps skeeters away

I got all day I’m retired
Re: The dog days.... [Re: basscaster46] #14112687 08/29/21 08:43 PM
ReelSlow Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by basscaster46
Originally Posted by Rube G.
You might try it at night.

Given the choice, what time of night would generally be most productive? Would starting a couple of hours before daylight then keep fishing in the morning, or fish late afternoon then 2 or 3 hours after dark be better?

GOD is good!
Re: The dog days.... [Re: ReelSlow] #14114853 08/31/21 03:30 PM
J
Jack46 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted by ReelSlow
Originally Posted by basscaster46
[quote=Rube G.]You might try it at night.

Given the choice, what time of night would generally be most productive? Would starting a couple of hours before daylight then keep fishing in the morning, or fish late afternoon then 2 or 3 hours after dark be better?

What time will those fish bite today or tonight? This question is ancient and they are going to eat sooner or later.

Keep in mind that every summer lake water gets hotter and dissolved oxygen gets lower and lower (that’s predictable, it’s a water chemistry deal). Fish metabolism increases substantially and the fish’s oxygen demand increases (fish are cold blooded, that same water chemistry directly affects fish behaviors, i.e. feeding and digestion)… the bite.

Choosing the right day and the especially the right time of that day (the best couple hours in a 24 hour period when fish are feeding) is some of the magic to catching those fish. The bro-science is fun, hoping and guessing when fish bite is challenging and often results in one more strike-out, but we know all about that, been there and done that.

You might considering trying a new and different more scientific approach; predicting the day and time of the bite.

1st and foremost – in the heat of summer, if you will look and if you can find the highest concentration of dissolved oxygen in the lake water you will find the bait fish and game fish congregated there. Especially at night and even more-so just before the dawn twilight.

Peak Fish and Game feeding times for Livingston, TX. (weatherforyou.com)

Solar and Lunar tables for Livingston, TX. (weatherforyou.com)

This is easy, just type in your zip code where you are fishing and click it.

There’s a scientific method to this madness of predicting the best and 2nd best time of the bite in a 24 hour period. Real science trumps Bro-science here.

Fish do not bite well when a front blows through elevating the barometric pressure higher than normal. Normal sea level barometric pressure is 760 mm/hg. Have you ever noticed that wind and waves stimulate fish to bite, why’s that?

Wind Creates Waves https://tiltfishing.com/how-does-wi...es-wind-impact-fishing-is-it-good-or-bad

“The most obvious way that wind impacts fishing is, of course, waves.

Wind creates friction as it blows along the surface of the water. As a result, the stronger the wind, the greater the friction, and the larger the waves. The turbulence from the waves or ripples will significantly increase the amount of [dissolved] oxygen in the water too.”

[What all this science means is that every summer when lake water is hot, wind and waves do increase the available dissolved oxygen in the lake water. This increase in dissolved oxygen is the magic water quality improvement necessary that directly improves the efficiency of fish metabolism, makes them more active, increases the rate of digestion, often stimulating a feeding event and **** improves the summertime bite dramatically.]

Sharing real science knowledge and 1st hand experience is great. This sharing is backbone of most fishing forums in my opinion. Real fishing science, weather science and water quality science trumps a big sackfull of bro-science, wishing, hoping and guessing any day,

Re: The dog days.... [Re: Miggz] #14121582 09/07/21 01:34 PM
J
Jack46 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Hey TTree - Hope you had a good Labor Day Holiday weekend?

I ran across more information for you. Sharing more real science for you to ponder since you seem somewhat interested in fish behavior, when and where to go fishing today, i.e. ”What time will those fish bite today or tonight.”
Actually fish, people, dogs, cats, rats, snakes and many species of aquatic microbes are in fact aerobes - Aerobic organism - Wikipedia
When environmental waters where we fish ever summer gets hot and hotter, those gamefish get very picky about where they congregate in lakes and rivers for good reason… better water quality.

The water quality is poorest early in the hot summer mornings before dawn breaks during that twilight period because there has been no photosynthesis for 9-10 hours and water quality is poorest in that 24 hour period. This is normal and happens world-wide every hot summer mornings in freshwater lakes, rivers and ponds. Environmental conditions and or physical conditions are not conducive for aquatic aerobes feeding or digestion. Poor or no feeding then is not because their metabolism is not high or the fish are not hungry. They won’t “bite” because the environmental water quality is bad, just too poor for fish to eat well at that time of day.

Check out the science, learn something new, try something new based of environmental science. The science is so-much better than all that bro-science we all read on the net in fishing forums written by the fishing gurus, water wizards and outdoors’ writers:

There are many more, but these 3 will get you on the right track scientific basis about fish behavior in the different seasons.

How Dissolved Oxygen Affects Fish Behavior - HOW DISSOLVED OXYGEN AFFECTS FISH BEHAVIOUR – Active Angling New Zealand (activeanglingnz.com)

[b]Dissolved Oxygen - What is Dissolved Oxygen?[/b] - Dissolved Oxygen - Environmental Measurement Systems (fondriest.com)

How water Temperature and Oxygen Affect Fishing - How Water Temperature and Oxygen Affect Fishing - Mepps Tactics

This is 9 year old, but here’s a little taste about how science and the wonderful world of manipulating environmental water quality can and does affect the fish’s “bite” in the summer.

Oxygen Diffuser System to Create Fish Habitat and Enhance Hydropower Water Quality in J Strom Thurmond Reservoir Microsoft Word - HydroVision12 JST manuscript Final (mobleyengineering.com)

There are a few people that actually think outside of the box, but most people in our world do not, will not cross fixed known boundaries. These boundaries we recognize and live by provide us a since of stability and orientation to life. Without boundaries is the void, confusion, complete disorientation. For most folks free thinking without boundaries is just too scary to deal with.

You would probably not believe in your wildest imagination how the Corps of Engineers as well as some fishermen can and do manipulate fish behavior in the summer. They can effectively stimulate the dog day summer “bite” intentionally. They manipulate the summer “bite” buy improving water quality in a specific area of the lake or river just because they can do that. They can alter the seasonal boundaries and fish behavior established by Mother Nature.

It’s interesting to see how summer tournament fishermen are manipulating lake water quality, attracting bait fish and game fish to a specific area. This major modification of Nature also stimulates fish to “bite” and feed even in the dog days of summer as well as the final days of winter just before the ice cover on lakes begins to thaw. The tournament fishermen doing this are not just fishing for fun. They are seriously fishing for big $$$. They are fishing for a good living.

New fishing tactics and techniques should be consider when/if you’re seriously fishing for prize $$$ and or meat hunting.

Currently there are no fishing tournament rules in the US addressing manipulating (improving) summer environmental water quality specifically designed to attract gamefish and stimulate the “bite” for profit in summer fishing tournaments.

Thinking out of the box again out loud, imagine something like this: There may be new fishing tournament rules prohibiting this technique 10-20-30 years from now (2051), probable not. It will decades before rules prohibitions happen. And in the meantime millions of $$$ can be made by tech-savvy tournament anglers that effectively manipulate fish behavior with intention and forethought practicing this new cutting edge tournament fishing tactic.

No one, especially “Green People” and “PETA People” could never condemn or even criticize a fisherman that is drastically improving summer environmental water quality for the fish? This dilemma may be a real catch 22 for fishing tournament officials someday.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide