Print Thread
High Sticking for Sunfish #14092229 08/12/21 11:39 AM
C
Chris_in_Louisiana Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Earlier this year, I sadly snapped my Echo Dry 9' 2wt and learned it was out of production and could not be replaced. Instead, I applied the warranty towards an Echo Shadow II 10' 2wt. Since then the new rod has gone largely unused, and I briefly debated putting it up for sale.

That changed the past week, however, as I decided to try my hand at high stick nymphing for local Sunfish. The results have been excellent as I've landed eight species of Lepomis as well as a possible ninth (though it is likely a hybrid). The sensitivity of the rod is amazing and has played a significant role in catching a number of the smaller species. While I look forward to using this rod on a trout stream in the near future, it's nice to know it can serve a purpose closer to home as well.

In any case, on to the photos!

Bluegill (Lepomis macrochirus)
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Redear Sunfish (Lepomis microlophus)
[Linked Image]

Redspotted Sunfish (Lepomis miniatus)
[Linked Image]

Warmouth (Lepomis gulosus)
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Longear Sunfish (Lepomis megalotis)
[Linked Image]

Dollar Sunfish (Lepomis marginatus)
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Green Sunfish (Lepomis cyanellus)
[Linked Image]

Orangespotted Sunfish (Lepomis humilis)
[Linked Image]

Bantam Sunfish - hybrid? (Lepomis symmetricus x L.gulosus??)
[Linked Image]

Chris W.
Sorrento, LA

[Linked Image]
www.fatfingeredflytyer.com
Re: High Sticking for Sunfish [Re: Chris_in_Louisiana] #14092302 08/12/21 12:42 PM
O
Osbornfishing Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
O
Wow, nice diversity. clap And if you want another Echo Dry you might try EBay.

Re: High Sticking for Sunfish [Re: Chris_in_Louisiana] #14092327 08/12/21 01:05 PM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
coolphotosGreat Variety of sunfish. Good job. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: High Sticking for Sunfish [Re: Chris_in_Louisiana] #14093555 08/13/21 11:48 AM
T
T- Gil Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Very nice! I like the idea of cpr and identifying each. I'm not sure I've seen the red spotted or orange spotted before? I think those long ears are some of the prettiest perch.

[Linked Image]

TEAM HUMDINGER

1st teach a child to love God, teach him second to love Family, 3rd teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. CC

"Una Stamus"
Re: High Sticking for Sunfish [Re: T- Gil] #14093665 08/13/21 01:31 PM
C
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Thanks everyone!

Originally Posted by Osbornfishing
Wow, nice diversity. clap And if you want another Echo Dry you might try EBay.

I've looked a bit, but I got such a great deal on the original rod ($100 new) that I just can't justify dropping $225 for a replacement. The Shadow II has been a great replacement though.

Originally Posted by T- Gil
Very nice! I like the idea of cpr and identifying each. I'm not sure I've seen the red spotted or orange spotted before? I think those long ears are some of the prettiest perch.

I know redspotted range into Texas, but I'm not sure how common they are out that way. I never caught one till I moved from DFW to Baton Rouge. As for the Orangespotted, that little guy is a full grown adult. I don't think you'd ever catch one unless you went out trying to catch something that small.

Chris

Chris W.
Sorrento, LA

[Linked Image]
Re: High Sticking for Sunfish [Re: T- Gil] #14094937 08/14/21 02:27 PM
M
McKinneyLonghorn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Nice fish. Orange Spotted and Dollar are still on my list of fish to catch. My brother lives in Gonzales so it sounds like I need to pay him a visit

Originally Posted by T- Gil

Red spotted are in the Hill Country. I have caught them in Onion Creek but the absolute best place to find them is in Landa Park on the Comal River. They are the dominant sunfish in the park; in the last four years I have yet to catch any other species of sunfish there.

Re: High Sticking for Sunfish [Re: Chris_in_Louisiana] #14095112 08/14/21 05:15 PM
N
new2BC4bass Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
N
Wow! I didn't know there were that many types of Sunfish. What you called Warmouth looks like what we (father and brothers) always called a Rock Bass up here. Very aggressive and will hit a lure almost the same size as they are. Very nice photos, and thanks for pointing out the name of each.

I have a photographic memory...........it never got developed
Re: High Sticking for Sunfish [Re: new2BC4bass] #14095728 08/15/21 12:14 PM
C
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted by McKinneyLonghorn
Nice fish. Orange Spotted and Dollar are still on my list of fish to catch. My brother lives in Gonzales so it sounds like I need to pay him a visit

Shoot me a message here or through my blog next time you visit. It would take two separate stops, but both are easily doable within the same morning.

Originally Posted by new2BC4bass
Wow! I didn't know there were that many types of Sunfish. What you called Warmouth looks like what we (father and brothers) always called a Rock Bass up here. Very aggressive and will hit a lure almost the same size as they are. Very nice photos, and thanks for pointing out the name of each.

Very similar look to the Rock Bass you have at home, but Warmouth are actually in the same Genus (Lepomis) as Bluegill and the rest of the sunfish shown above. Rock Bass don't make it into Louisiana, but there is another member of the genus (Ambloplites) called the Shadow Bass that does occur down here. I've yet to catch one, but it is high on my list.

Thanks again everyone!

Chris

Chris W.
Sorrento, LA

[Linked Image]
Re: High Sticking for Sunfish [Re: Chris_in_Louisiana] #14096176 08/15/21 08:01 PM
S
Scoundrel Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
Great photos!

Re: High Sticking for Sunfish [Re: Chris_in_Louisiana] #14107350 08/25/21 04:19 AM
M
McKinneyLonghorn Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted by Chris_in_Louisiana
Originally Posted by McKinneyLonghorn

Shoot me a message here or through my blog next time you visit. It would take two separate stops, but both are easily doable within the same morning.

Will do. Thanks!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide