Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Following bad science [Re: lakeforkfisherman] #14090267 08/10/21 06:46 PM
S
Samsonsworld Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
My google says humans are the primary reservoir for TB and animals rarely act as reservoirs. Same for the others. You are comparing apples to oranges.

Re: Following bad science [Re: CCTX] #14090270 08/10/21 06:50 PM
B
Bassman_78 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted by CCTX
The Phizer and Moderna vaccines are very effective at preventing hospitalizations and the worst outcomes, even against the Delta variant.

[Linked Image]

Reduce the risk of death by 85%. What exactly does that mean? Break it down. Most people think they understand these kind of percentages, but they don't, and big numbers don't mean much at all when the equations are actually done with the data that is missing/withheld. That's why they use them in the manners they do. To exaggerate the statistics at either end and influence.

Risk of death is only an estimated guess at a possibility. Likelihoods. It's not saying it has reduced or will reduce the number of deaths by 85%.

So, reduce the risk of death by 85%......of who exactly? Those with comorbidities? Or others? How many of them are there? What percentage of them were previously hospitalized or killed by the virus before the vaccines? What percentage of those hospitalized recovered without the vaccine?

These numbers don't mean [censored]. Provide more insight. Even though it is still talking about reducing a chance of a likelihood.

Same as something like black men are 2.5 times more likely to be shot by a cop than a white man during their lifetime. Or 1 in 1000 black men can expect to be killed by a cop over a life course. Sounds scary, sounds problematic, and that's why it's worded that way. When ALL the numbers are actually laid out, not so much. Especially when laid against other forms of daily deaths. Much the same as Covid-19

Re: Following bad science [Re: grout-scout] #14090274 08/10/21 06:50 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by grout-scout
JPurdue, I know you are Pro-Mask, so do you require the people that work for your companies to wear only N95 rated mask?

Here's what you need to understand about my position on masks. Masks help, but they are not a panacea.

An N95 is very effective if properly worn and maintained.
A surgical mask is roughly 40% effective if worn correctly. From what I've read if you are in a room with COVID it will provide you something like 15 minutes of protection.
A buff type covering maybe offers you 20% protection if worn correctly.

Add in the fact most folks don't wear masks correctly over all effectiveness may be something like 10%. Masks don't work very well. That's a fact. But that doesn't mean they don't work at all nor does it mean they have no place in help to slow the spread of the virus. There's been 36M confirmed cases in the US. If masks stopped the spread by 10%, that means several million people didn't get COVID. Is that worth it to make it a public policy? I guess that's a matter of perspective. If I were a government official, I probably would have recommended masks as well. Couple them with hand washing, social distancing etc... It makes good sense when looking at the whole picture. For any individual though, you are right.... They are a pain the butt and they don't work very well.

To answer your question, I encourage and supply N95's but I do not require it. I've debated that, but have not and probably will not pull that trigger. Half my guys have beards so the N95's don't really work for them anyway. Tough to force a grown man to shave. No perfect solution to a very difficult problem.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: Following bad science [Re: Jpurdue] #14090289 08/10/21 07:06 PM
B
Bassman_78 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Well that's not true. TB, pneumonia, whooping cough... all have what I would call successful vaccines. If the bar for success is zero infection, then I guess that's true. Very little in this world is 100%.

It is true it's possible the virus could mutate in those who are vaccinated. What's the alternative though? Let it burn through 7 billion people with hundreds of trillions of chances to mutate unabated killing 35 million globally in the process? For those against the vaccine, I've yet to hear of a viable alternative that produces a better outcome.

You know I'm not talking about those. And that's a whole nother worm hole.

You do realize it's going to still burn through the same billions of people, and mutate, and kill, right? With a chance that this vaccine increases the chance of lethal mutation compared to strong immune systems and antibodies. The good news is we probably get to see how it plays out either way . hammer

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide