Print Thread
Livescope vs Active Target #14061089 07/14/21 02:11 AM
O
oldmerc Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
O
Anyone have experience with both livescope and active target? An employee at a major retailer suggested that I go all Lowrance instead of mixing the dash with Lowrance and Garmin up front. Would love to get some useful detailed feedback on why one vs the other. The reason I'm ask is that I am wanting Lowrance at the dash to integrate with the trolling motor, but was thinking livescope upfront.

"Bump the stump, miss the thump"
Re: Livescope vs Active Target [Re: oldmerc] #14061674 07/14/21 04:59 PM
S
Slewfoot Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
S
I run Lowrance Carbon 12 for SI and mapping on the console and have it linked to a Carbon 9 on the bow for mapping and run Garmin for Livescope. I haven't spent time with Livesite but I've seen it and it didn't even look close to Garmin. It seems more like old school Panoptics. Both times they brought it out it seemed like a flop IMO.

Re: Livescope vs Active Target [Re: oldmerc] #14061678 07/14/21 05:01 PM
R
ricochetrabbit Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Sticking with all Lowrance, you'll obviously be able to network the graphs together. The biggest advantage is making waypoint management seamless, otherwise you're stuck having to transfer waypoints back and forth between the two graphs. Case in point, you wouldn't be able to see any of the waypoints you currently have on the console graph if you had the Garmin at the bow without doing an export and import. Same is true if you dropped a waypoint on the Garmin and then wanted to add that to the Lowrance. If you're proficient at this, then this might not be a big deal.

Jacob Wheeler I think does a fairly objective head to head in his video. He's on the water, shooting at the same structure, running through the same scenarios, and showing you the graph images.

Two things to consider with Garmin. 1) You can reach a real human when you call their tech support line. 2) Since it's been out for a couple of years, there's quite a bit of community support, troubleshooting, and tips and tricks on the Web.

Re: Livescope vs Active Target [Re: oldmerc] #14062004 07/14/21 09:24 PM
H
HOGON Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
I was hardcore Lowrance for years.

After seeing Down Scan and Side Scan on my 12" Garmin with the GT-54 UHD Transducer I would go 100% Garmin Front and Back.

Garmin Blows Lowrance away.

My humble opinion.

ACC CRAPPIE STIX
BONEHEAD TACKLE
LEWS REELS
PEPOPS JIGS
FEARLESS JIGS
BUBBAS BAITS
MAD CRAPPIE JIGS
DANS JIGS
CRAZY ANGLER TACKLE
THERMOCLINE LURES
CONSTANT PURSUIT OUTFITTERS
MR CRAPPIE
POWER PRO SUPER SLICK BRAID
BERKLEY VANISH GOLD/TRANSITION
LIFT SAVER TROLLING MOTOR MOUNT
SHUT UP AND FISH
SLAB SYNDICATE JIGS
THUMPER ELITE OUTFITTERS
Re: Livescope vs Active Target [Re: ricochetrabbit] #14062043 07/14/21 10:20 PM
Chris B Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by ricochetrabbit
Sticking with all Lowrance, you'll obviously be able to network the graphs together. The biggest advantage is making waypoint management seamless, otherwise you're stuck having to transfer waypoints back and forth between the two graphs. Case in point, you wouldn't be able to see any of the waypoints you currently have on the console graph if you had the Garmin at the bow without doing an export and import. Same is true if you dropped a waypoint on the Garmin and then wanted to add that to the Lowrance. If you're proficient at this, then this might not be a big deal.

Jacob Wheeler I think does a fairly objective head to head in his video. He's on the water, shooting at the same structure, running through the same scenarios, and showing you the graph images.

Two things to consider with Garmin. 1) You can reach a real human when you call their tech support line. 2) Since it's been out for a couple of years, there's quite a bit of community support, troubleshooting, and tips and tricks on the Web.

Great video. Looks like a tie to me. If anything Lowrance has a slight edge on distance.

[Linked Image]
I hate photobucket.
Re: Livescope vs Active Target [Re: oldmerc] #14062087 07/14/21 10:51 PM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
All I know is I went with Garmin after seeing the Active target and have no regrets. Garmin units have come down in price and IMO are the best out there.

Re: Livescope vs Active Target [Re: oldmerc] #14062108 07/14/21 11:02 PM
Minner Bucket Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
If only I could get rid of my dead spot that is typically where the ghost tree is on my garmin, I'd be extremely happy, however that is not the case. If any of you garmin gurus have some fix, send it my way.

Re: Livescope vs Active Target [Re: oldmerc] #14062361 07/15/21 03:50 AM
shut-up-and-fish Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru

I have had the same Livescope system for three years. I pulled it off and installed the Lowrance AT only to pull it off and put my tried and true Garmin LS back on. I am at factory setting. The only three adjustments I make are gain, forward and downward range. I always update my software and I get great images. Hear is a car I found last week.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
From *Sales, *Installation Services, and *On the shop floor Education & Instructional Tips
We have you covered here @ shut-up-and-fish for all of your Humminbird, Lowrance,
Garmin, Minn Kota & Motorguide needs plus much more - Call Now 972 822 9285
Re: Livescope vs Active Target [Re: oldmerc] #14062424 07/15/21 11:22 AM
David Welcher Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Garmin will last. Lowrance products will simply break down a lot quicker.
Garmin came from the aviation industry, and build much more reliable products that last because they know how important a GPS system is needed for navigation in the aviation industry, and it simply spills over to their marine industry.
Garmin is like a 300 billion a year corporation - Lowrance is like a 300 million a year corporation. They have ample backing, support, and their products are better built and will only get better, I was a Lowrance guy for 30 plus years, I'm a Garmin user now.

Re: Livescope vs Active Target [Re: oldmerc] #14062440 07/15/21 11:48 AM
N
nellie Offline
Angler
Angler
N
Enough people on here have already given their opinion but Lowrance is really in third place behind Hummingbird and Garmin when it comes to side and down imaging and probably live sonar as well.

I just ordered new Ultra Garmins for my new boat yesterday to pair with my Livescope off my old boat, Garmins technology keeps advancing.
The Ultra and UHD models have a new transducer, GT 56, that is supposed to be better or comparable to Hummingbirds side imaging.

I wanted to stay with Garmin on the new boat to link them all together since I already have Livescope and a sonar unit to run it on.

I know Livescope is great, sounds like a few that have seen both agree Garmins is better.

If I already have all Lowrance it would be ok to get Livesight but if your getting all new electronics I would go Garmin.

Re: Livescope vs Active Target [Re: oldmerc] #14062671 07/15/21 03:12 PM
ThaDudeAbides Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I'm with Slew, get the best tool you are most comfortable with and don't be afraid to mix. Slew didn't even mention he uses an Ultrex because it is well built and that's what he is most comfortable using - he is a pro crappie tournament fisherman and he has 3 different brands of electronics on his boat!

the network features are nice i have to admit. GPS waypoint sharing can be fixed by adding another smaller mapping unit for not much money (all things considered!). if you want the ability to drop the trolling motor and arrive at a brushpile/waypoint you marked on your console unit side imaging, that is a REALLY nice feature but not critical. once you figure out how to use livescope you will be dialing in your exact location anyway.

**Professional amateur crappie fisherman**

1997 Nitro Savage 896, 200 HP Mercury EFI, Garmin Force, Garmin GPSMAP 1022 w/ Livescope, Garmin Ultra 122sv, Garmin 93
Re: Livescope vs Active Target [Re: oldmerc] #14062909 07/15/21 06:29 PM
D
Desull Offline
Angler
Angler
D
I love lowrance, but if you are interested in live technology Garmin is the only way. There is a much larger user base and several groups that share tips and tricks. I run a basic livescope but still have my old Lowrance HDI on the trolling motor and sidescan on the console. I am close to removing the old HDI unit on the trolling motor. There really is not a great need for it anymore.

And Jesus said to them, Follow Me, and I will make you become fishers of men. Mark 1:17 (NASB)
Re: Livescope vs Active Target [Re: oldmerc] #14089652 08/10/21 04:33 AM
O
oldmerc Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
O
Wow. I stepped away for a few weeks of intense work travel, and this thread loaded up. Really appreciate the input. I'll do some additional homework and then figure out how to fund this upgrade. smile

Re: Livescope vs Active Target [Re: shut-up-and-fish] #14089653 08/10/21 04:35 AM
O
oldmerc Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
O
Originally Posted by shut-up-and-fish

I have had the same Livescope system for three years. I pulled it off and installed the Lowrance AT only to pull it off and put my tried and true Garmin LS back on. I am at factory setting. The only three adjustments I make are gain, forward and downward range. I always update my software and I get great images. Hear is a car I found last week.

[Linked Image]

Which one is Garmin?! grin

Re: Livescope vs Active Target [Re: shut-up-and-fish] #14090947 08/11/21 12:47 PM
R
RODS454 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Originally Posted by shut-up-and-fish

[Linked Image]

Looks like someone forgot to turn their headlights off! LOL

"I'd rather be fishing!"
[Linked Image]

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide