Print Thread
Evening fishing at Whitney #14056139 07/08/21 07:13 PM
T
TexasMike Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
I am a police officer that works an odd schedule that makes it hard for me to fish in the early morning. I am looking for tips on where to look for some stripers and the best method to catch them in the evening to mid-night time frame. Any advise would be great.

Thanks

Venus, TX
2013 Ranger Reata 1850

Mike May's High Caliber Inspections LLC
www.highcaliberhomeinspections.com
Re: Evening fishing at Whitney [Re: TexasMike] #14057158 07/09/21 07:13 PM
C
chrisc/striper express guide service Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
I can’t help you on any current Whitney afternoon tips but I can tell you we don’t do afternoon trips in the summer because of the unpredictable actions of the fish! it can be killer and it can be awful and that’s just the way they act when the water is really hot. If anything I would look for smaller Fish on top and hope for a big schools of stripes underneath them on slabs or if you’re really lucky the big fish bust some shad on top

Last edited by chrisc/striper express guide service; 07/09/21 07:22 PM.

Lake Texoma Striper Guide Chris Carey

Re: Evening fishing at Whitney [Re: TexasMike] #14057239 07/09/21 08:32 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Originally Posted by TexasMike
I am a police officer that works an odd schedule that makes it hard for me to fish in the early morning. I am looking for tips on where to look for some stripers and the best method to catch them in the evening to mid-night time frame. Any advise would be great.

Thanks

I was a Police Officer for 37 years and have been retired for eight years. I did plenty of night fishing and it was all under lights. Caught plenty of crappie, and Bluegill. Also caught some nice bass. As for Striped Bass I cannot be much help. Only caught them during the day. Early mornings during the summer months and throughout the day during fall, winter, and spring. Good luck, stay safe, and God Bless you. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Evening fishing at Whitney [Re: TexasMike] #14057696 07/10/21 01:35 PM
Anejo Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I have used crappie lights for night fishing targeting stripers and white bass. I've only had moderate success but there has been enough to keep me interested during July-September when its too hot for me during the day. I typically put out four live baits (usually perch) of the bow and stern of the boat and fish artificial jigs in the middle. I put one crappie light off each side of the boat. I have had the most success in the flats between Bird Island and Whitney State park. I anchor up on places where there's some change to the depth. The perch will also attract some nice blues occasionally. I've had limited success fishing the other side of Bird island in 20-25 feet of water. White bass seem to be more active at night than stripers for me. I haven't tried down by the bluffs or Mcgowen park area but that area should be successful. I like to fish starting at sundown until I give up which is usually around 2am. Cloudy days are better since the crappie lights are more effective when the moon is blocked. The lights will attract small minnows and shad.

International Sportfisherman-Champion 220 Bay- Reserva Tequila Sipper
Re: Evening fishing at Whitney [Re: TexasMike] #14060460 07/13/21 03:23 PM
J
Jamoke Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I used to night fish on Lake Belton, I would slow drift across the deep flat from Arrowhead point to Temple Lake Park, 35-50 Ft depending on the direction of the drift. Didn't use any lights in the water. Would use whole shrimp or cut shad. Get some drift socks one for the front and back of the boat. You really want to keep it slow 2.5 MPH or less. Slower the better, Caught hybrids, white bass, eater blue cats. Use the entire shrimp with the shell on. When you reach the end of the flat repeat. change bait often it is all about the smell. Seemed to work better on nights with some moonlight. I stopped going after some drunk idiot came directly at me on plane doing 60+ MPH. He stated later at the boat ramp that he was going So fast that he couldn't see my lights because they blended in with the far shore. I saw him drink from a fifth bottle just before we spoke. I truly thought I was going to die at 930 on a Wednesday night. Watch out for idiots, I now carry a 1 million lumen spot light... I have gone out with friends at night but never alone since that Day. PS you need to use American caught shrimp, there is a rule about foreign shrimp posing a danger to our crustaceans.

Re: Evening fishing at Whitney [Re: TexasMike] #14068177 07/20/21 08:25 PM
ACES82 Offline
Angler
Angler
Not to hijack this thread but does the full moon have any effect on the top water bite?

Never Outsmart Common Sense.
Re: Evening fishing at Whitney [Re: TexasMike] #14069397 07/21/21 11:03 PM
T
TGalyon1 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Who buzzed the fuzz.. Sorry could not help my self. My dad retired after 30 years Dallas PD and I work there a few years way back. Now to you question if you can find lights around a boat dock in deep water fish out side of the light with live shad or perch.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide