Forums59
Topics1,037,806
Posts13,934,776
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Can soemone effectively explain the difference [Re: Frank the Tank] #14042389 06/24/21 10:20 PM
Huckleberry Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
when flipping docks, tighten the knob by the crank just enough to where you get a tiny bit of side to side spool movement. On the other side, take the side plate off, push all of the weights in towards the center, then turn the brake knob to zero, use you thumb for control and let that baby sling! If this isn't the way you have your reel set when flipping docks, then your doing it wrong.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Can soemone effectively explain the difference [Re: Huckleberry] #14042402 06/24/21 10:34 PM
John175☮ Online Happy
MACHO MAN
Online Happy
MACHO MAN
Originally Posted by Huckleberry
when flipping docks, tighten the knob by the crank just enough to where you get a tiny bit of side to side spool movement. On the other side, take the side plate off, push all of the weights in towards the center, then turn the brake knob to zero, use you thumb for control and let that baby sling! If this isn't the way you have your reel set when flipping docks, then your doing it wrong.

That's how I keep mine.

“Do not pray for easier lives. Pray to be stronger men.†-JFK
Re: Can soemone effectively explain the difference [Re: Frank the Tank] #14042789 06/25/21 01:11 PM
rkd Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
So pushing all the weights to the center is a "faster" setting? I try to offset my weights so that the opposite sides match...either at center or outer setting. Would it matter if I had two side-by-side weights close to the center with the rest out?

Re: Can soemone effectively explain the difference [Re: rkd] #14042805 06/25/21 01:19 PM
D
David Burton Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
Originally Posted by rkd
So pushing all the weights to the center is a "faster" setting? I try to offset my weights so that the opposite sides match...either at center or outer setting. Would it matter if I had two side-by-side weights close to the center with the rest out?

Offset is not needed. Think about a figure skater - arms out = slow; arms in = fast.

Did you ever lean back on a merri-go-round and then pull up to centerline to increase speed?

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Re: Can soemone effectively explain the difference [Re: David Burton] #14043017 06/25/21 04:13 PM
HitEmTrue Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted by David Burton
BB1's answer is my answer - but to add... Spool Tension adjustment (crank handle side) is not truly a brake at all. Reason, it adjusts the speed from the beginning of a cast rather than the speed of the spool generated during the cast. Think of it as a governor on your accelerator!

Yep, not a brake at all. It is simply tightening the spool, which affects how freely the spool can spin during the entire cast.

Re: Can soemone effectively explain the difference [Re: rkd] #14043038 06/25/21 04:29 PM
Huckleberry Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by rkd

https://www.bass-fishing-source.com/baitcast-reels-setup.html

Re: Can soemone effectively explain the difference [Re: Frank the Tank] #14043181 06/25/21 06:27 PM
Weekender1 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
The only difference I know is if you backlash on the start of your cast adjust the knob on the right side or under the handle of the reel. If you backlash at the end of your cast then adjust the brakes on the left side or opposite the handle of your reel.

Jody

Tyler Bass Club
LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Re: Can soemone effectively explain the difference [Re: Weekender1] #14043477 06/26/21 12:08 AM
F
Frank the Tank Online Content OP
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
F
Originally Posted by Weekender
The only difference I know is if you backlash on the start of your cast adjust the knob on the right side or under the handle of the reel. If you backlash at the end of your cast then adjust the brakes on the left side or opposite the handle of your reel.

Jody

Now THIS makes sense ^^^^^^ thanks Jody

Jesus loves all of us
Re: Can soemone effectively explain the difference [Re: Frank the Tank] #14043777 06/26/21 12:53 PM
F
fishnfireman Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank

Jody

Except it's just the opposite..

Re: Can soemone effectively explain the difference [Re: Frank the Tank] #14043950 06/26/21 04:15 PM
F
Frank the Tank Online Content OP
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
F
And now we know why I’m confused

Jesus loves all of us
Re: Can soemone effectively explain the difference [Re: Frank the Tank] #14044013 06/26/21 05:59 PM
C
coosa Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
My first baitcaster was pretty easy to adjust:

[Linked Image]

I hadn't used it for decades, but I got it out last summer and used it several times fishing a pond with a topwater and caught several on it. Then one hit it as I was about to lift the lure into the boat and it surprised enough that I forgot there is no anti reverse and I got a horrendous backlash. I picked it out and was a little more careful after that.

My father gave me his old Ambassador 5000 after I became reasonably good with the Plueger and then bought himself a new one. I still have both of the old reels and still use them at times. I've owned baitcaster from every era since then, and they do keep improving them. I have some with magnetic brakes, some centrifugal, and some have both.

I haven't really figured out much of an advantage to having both on a reel. I usually turn on a couple of the centrifugal levers opposite each other and then fine tune it with the magnetic brake. Is that the way most of you guys do it, or is there a better way? I don't fish tournaments and get to talk to the folks that really know about such things; most of my fishing partners know less than I do. Thanks

Re: Can soemone effectively explain the difference [Re: Frank the Tank] #14044080 06/26/21 08:02 PM
F
fishnfireman Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
F
I haven't really figured out much of an advantage to having both on a reel. I usually turn on a couple of the centrifugal levers opposite each other and then fine tune it with the magnetic brake. Is that the way most of you guys do it, or is there a better way? I don't fish tournaments and get to talk to the folks that really know about such things; most of my fishing partners know less than I do. Thanks

Chris G and Rayzor explain it well in there posts above.

Re: Can soemone effectively explain the difference [Re: fishnfireman] #14044348 06/27/21 02:24 AM
C
coosa Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted by fishnfireman

Chris G and Rayzor explain it well in there posts above.

They answered the OPs question very well and explained how to set the tension knob and then the brake, whether centrifugal or magnetic. That basic design hasn't really changed since the Ambassador 5000 became available back in 1950s. But what I was asking about is the newer and more expensive reels that have both centrifugal and magnetic brakes. The design of the one I have requires you to remove the side plate and set the centrifugal brake, then put the plate back on and set that magnetic brake. I was just saying that I haven't seen any real advantage to having both, but maybe there is something I don't understand.

The one reel I have that has both works very well, but so do the others that have just one type.

Re: Can soemone effectively explain the difference [Re: fishnfireman] #14045344 06/28/21 02:22 PM
Weekender1 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted by fishnfireman
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank

Jody

Except it's just the opposite..

I can only comment on what I have found and what works for me. I use right handed reels and what I said works just fine for me.

Jody Kea

Tyler Bass Club
LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Re: Can soemone effectively explain the difference [Re: Txduckhunter] #14045368 06/28/21 02:45 PM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
Originally Posted by Bass Buster1
The one you are palming is the cast control brake, either centrifugal or magnetic (does the job your thumb should do) the knob by the spool is the adjustment for the weight of the bait you are throwing.

Originally Posted by Txduckhunter
The knob by the handle controls how fast your bait falls off the spool initially. The brakes control the end of your cast. (replacing or helping your thumb at the end of the cast)

Both of these are correct in stating just how each knob is used for adjusting your reel correctly.

On the knob away from the reel handle it either uses some type of centrifugal brake system, some use magnets, and Lews makes ones that uses both weights and magnets. The knob by the reel handle works the same on every reel. As you crank it down it applies more pressure on the shaft of the spool which makes it harder to rotate, thus slowing down whatever it is you have tied on. How tight you make this knob depends on the weight of the bait you are throwing and you have to adjust it according to that. The other knob also slows down the rotation of the spool depending on how you set the magnets or the brakes or both depending on the reel you have. Its really not that hard to adjust your reel correctly. Another thing that is important is to balance your rod action to the technique you are going to use. I often see people using too stiff a rod for the light weight bait or too heavy line for the light weight bait they are trying to throw. Also you don't need to try and bomb a cast, especially if you are still learning how to use a bait caster.

If you keep having backlashes then I would suggest you get a Daiwa Tatula SV TW. Tie on your bait and turn the tension knob by the reel handle to the point when you are holding out your rod and press the button your bait falls to the ground and you have a very slight over run, very slight... Now turn the magnets on the other knob to full on. #20 You can now make a long cast without even thumbing the spool.
As you practice you will be improving so you can then start backing down on it, lower the number 1-2 clicks at a time and so on as you get better. I have my final setting on my SV reels at 10 on the magnets.

Last edited by ezbassin; 06/28/21 03:06 PM.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide