Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Classic Marshal Update: Day One [Re: Champion1] #14031642 06/14/21 04:43 PM
Chris B Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
We watched Chris Jones some on Saturday. Saw him catch a few good ones in the morning. Saw him again at the end of the day. He idled out to the couple of spectator boats and said he was leaving for weigh in and thanked everyone for watching him. We stayed well off any of the anglers so we wouldn't disturb them. His water was probably the highest pressured in the tournament.

[Linked Image]
I hate photobucket.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Classic Marshal Update: Day One [Re: Champion1] #14031648 06/14/21 04:47 PM
Bandit 200 XP Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
thumb

Triton 200 XP
200 Yamaha 0X66
Re: Classic Marshal Update: Day One [Re: B-rader] #14031685 06/14/21 05:09 PM
M
musiclife_7 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Absolutely Brad!!!!

I was a backup Marshal. I had to show up at 4am every day and didn't know if I was going to be chosen or not. Friday there were no backups needed. Saturday I arrived and was paired up with Tommy Williams. He qualified via the win at the Lewisville Open. When he showed up I climbed in the truck with him and we sat there until the storm passed. We chatted about all kinds of things. Super nice guy. I dumped him in the water and parked, went got in the boat, and we beached for the morning events. His first spot was only about 7-8 mins from the ramp. He was sharing water with Matsushito and Todd Auten. Tommy was pretty laid back as he had felt he had no shot to win any longer due to only catching 1 keeper on Friday. He proceeded to land his first keeper a few mins in and was steadily catching fish all morning. He had his limit by about 11am and was culling by 12. He mainly flipped brush and threw a swim jig. His best 2 fish came on the swim jig. He chatted with me all day long. Best part of the day was his first keeper. He said..."now I get to walk onto that stage and hold a fish up for everyone." This was his first classic and he was so pumped to just be there and not have the walk of shame.

Saturday night I got a phone call from the Marshal coordinator and she asked if I wanted to go Sunday. Of course I said yes. I was paired up with Jeff Gussy Gustafson. I was super pumped because he's strong at off shore fishing and I knew the weather was going to put that as an option as opposed to flipping bushes. Same morning process took place but this time the Johnston brothers, Chris Jones, Chad Pipkens, Bill Wilcox and several of the BASS TV personalities were surrounding Gussy's boat and chatting. They pulled Jones off to do his interview and we were all just sitting there enjoying it. All those guys are just every day joes like us but they fish on the highest stage. I watched all these pros pull out baits and such to sign for kiddos that were walking around. They ALL stopped every time and posed for pictures and high fives. This made my weekend. The fans were truly what it's all about for them and they all are motivated by that.

We launched and ran to our first spot which was up shallow. Gussy stuck 2 short fish pretty quickly. As we rounded this point, He spotted Chris Jones on the adjacent point about 400yds away or so. He said, "This is Jones' area, we're leaving." We proceeded to head over to the marina area. As we ran around that point, Cherry was fishing by the state park ramp right there. We had to maneuver around about 30 spectator boats to get into the marina. We were in there for about 20 mins when we spotted Chris Johnston. Gussy pulled up the TM and we left again. He said, "Chris has a shot, I'm not messing that up." This same scenario happened 3-4 more times during the say. I can't say more to the courteous nature of Gussy and how he handled it.

While I don't feel like I learned anything from either pro that I was fortunate enough to ride along with, I have to say one thing: The precision with which they conduct their day is what sets them apart. The way they operated their boats, perfect. The way their boats were organized, perfect. Both of these guys were almost perfect with their pitching and flipping. Their baits entered the water so quietly and effortless. I firmly believe that's one main reason why they got so many bites compared to what I would normally get in a day there at RR. THAT was my take-a-way. Precision and Accuracy is a must.

The front row seat to the Classic was something I will cherish for the rest of my life. I would highly encourage everyone to take the opportunity to do this if possible. I know I will do it again if I ever get the opportunity.

Last edited by musiclife_7; 06/14/21 05:18 PM.
Re: Classic Marshal Update: Day One [Re: Champion1] #14031766 06/14/21 06:32 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Man. These experiences make me feel a little jealous. Sounds like it was a fun time. I have only fished in tourneys, and it usually ain’t fun…contrary to what some would think. It’s work. Just riding around with a pro in the biggest tourney in bass fishing, without a care in the world would be cool.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Classic Marshal Update: Day One [Re: Champion1] #14031777 06/14/21 06:38 PM
B
BThomas Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Did you ask him. Beans or no beans in chilli ?

Re: Classic Marshal Update: Day One [Re: Champion1] #14031780 06/14/21 06:38 PM
G
GMTK Offline
Angler
Angler
G
Very cool experience.

Re: Classic Marshal Update: Day One [Re: musiclife_7] #14031815 06/14/21 07:03 PM
B
beartrap Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by musiclife_7
Absolutely Brad!!!!

I was a backup Marshal. I had to show up at 4am every day and didn't know if I was going to be chosen or not. Friday there were no backups needed. Saturday I arrived and was paired up with Tommy Williams. He qualified via the win at the Lewisville Open. When he showed up I climbed in the truck with him and we sat there until the storm passed. We chatted about all kinds of things. Super nice guy. I dumped him in the water and parked, went got in the boat, and we beached for the morning events. His first spot was only about 7-8 mins from the ramp. He was sharing water with Matsushito and Todd Auten. Tommy was pretty laid back as he had felt he had no shot to win any longer due to only catching 1 keeper on Friday. He proceeded to land his first keeper a few mins in and was steadily catching fish all morning. He had his limit by about 11am and was culling by 12. He mainly flipped brush and threw a swim jig. His best 2 fish came on the swim jig. He chatted with me all day long. Best part of the day was his first keeper. He said..."now I get to walk onto that stage and hold a fish up for everyone." This was his first classic and he was so pumped to just be there and not have the walk of shame.

Saturday night I got a phone call from the Marshal coordinator and she asked if I wanted to go Sunday. Of course I said yes. I was paired up with Jeff Gussy Gustafson. I was super pumped because he's strong at off shore fishing and I knew the weather was going to put that as an option as opposed to flipping bushes. Same morning process took place but this time the Johnston brothers, Chris Jones, Chad Pipkens, Bill Wilcox and several of the BASS TV personalities were surrounding Gussy's boat and chatting. They pulled Jones off to do his interview and we were all just sitting there enjoying it. All those guys are just every day joes like us but they fish on the highest stage. I watched all these pros pull out baits and such to sign for kiddos that were walking around. They ALL stopped every time and posed for pictures and high fives. This made my weekend. The fans were truly what it's all about for them and they all are motivated by that.

We launched and ran to our first spot which was up shallow. Gussy stuck 2 short fish pretty quickly. As we rounded this point, He spotted Chris Jones on the adjacent point about 400yds away or so. He said, "This is Jones' area, we're leaving." We proceeded to head over to the marina area. As we ran around that point, Cherry was fishing by the state park ramp right there. We had to maneuver around about 30 spectator boats to get into the marina. We were in there for about 20 mins when we spotted Chris Johnston. Gussy pulled up the TM and we left again. He said, "Chris has a shot, I'm not messing that up." This same scenario happened 3-4 more times during the say. I can't say more to the courteous nature of Gussy and how he handled it.

While I don't feel like I learned anything from either pro that I was fortunate enough to ride along with, I have to say one thing: The precision with which they conduct their day is what sets them apart. The way they operated their boats, perfect. The way their boats were organized, perfect. Both of these guys were almost perfect with their pitching and flipping. Their baits entered the water so quietly and effortless. I firmly believe that's one main reason why they got so many bites compared to what I would normally get in a day there at RR. THAT was my take-a-way. Precision and Accuracy is a must.

The front row seat to the Classic was something I will cherish for the rest of my life. I would highly encourage everyone to take the opportunity to do this if possible. I know I will do it again if I ever get the opportunity.

great write up....appreciate you sharing your experience with us.....did you have to pay to be a back up marshal?.....

Re: Classic Marshal Update: Day One [Re: Champion1] #14031936 06/14/21 08:34 PM
rj74955 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Chris Jones is a super good guy and this lake set up perfect for him. When he gets the swim jig out he’s getting ready to do damage.

Re: Classic Marshal Update: Day One [Re: Champion1] #14032020 06/14/21 09:54 PM
C
Choctaw Angler Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Thanks for sharing the experience!

Re: Classic Marshal Update: Day One [Re: beartrap] #14032196 06/15/21 12:34 AM
M
musiclife_7 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
No sir. Backups do not pay. However, you have to show up regardless if you get a spot or not. This is the same process they follow for all elite events. The folks who paid to be marshals are guaranteed a practice day and the first two days of the competition. From there different process takes place where backups and Nation members get priority. Any given event BASS needs 8-10 backups and most often all will get at least 1 day to go....pretty cool deal. Im thankful.

Re: Classic Marshal Update: Day One [Re: Champion1] #14032247 06/15/21 01:28 AM
T
Texas Fight Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Wow, great read guys.

Re: Classic Marshal Update: Day One [Re: Champion1] #14032274 06/15/21 02:05 AM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Classic Marshal Update: Day One [Re: Champion1] #14032885 06/15/21 06:06 PM
F
Fork Fanatic Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Great experience for you. Glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide