F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by Rayzor
Originally Posted by Chis D
How can Travis be -20.69 with all of this rain? I am aware that rain alone will not fill up a big lake but come on! Do they let it out as fast as they get it?

We have not had the much rain west of I35. The watershed has had some rain but not a ton. Several weeks ago we got good rains out west and a ~3' rise. We got almost no run off in the scattered/passing showers this go-round. LCRA appears to have been "better" about not releasing, but they still have released a good amount even while the downstream in-flows were high. I would say it makes no sense, but it does...it is, I presume, all about the money. In short, I believe they are trying to get some income off of hydro. Sure, you can do that, but, to me, that it short-sighted and should be a last resort. There are many ways to generate power, but there are not many ways to to obtain water in central Texas. A while back they were releasing when it made no sense (water was down, no future rain in sight, and no downstream demand), so I sent an inquiry to LCRA asking why they were releasing when it was clear we would need that water back in a matter of weeks or months. LCRA's answer - "Our hydrologist determined that we needed to release." My theory.... LCRA wants to keep the resource scarce to keep LCRA relevant and make the resource they control more valuable. Very few pay attention, and the others won't until there is a crisis.

"Our hydrologists determined that we needed to release." What? I would have immediately replied with "What present or upcoming events have lead to this decision?" "Our hydrologists have determined" is about as plausible as "because we wanted to."

I agree that LCRA would like to "be important" - it's how government entities thrive and grow in power. What if the DEA truly destroyed the infrastructure of the illicit drug trade? They'd have successfully made their organization obsolete. So too for LCRA - if they manage well and get the lakes full again, who needs a powerful LCRA anymore?

Almost as convincing as Flip-Flop Fauci telling you to wear a mask? roflmao

Last edited by Flippin-Out; 05/27/21 05:47 AM.
Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #14012358 05/27/21 04:53 PM
gillom Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Farmers on the coast own some water rights to Colorado river water. There is a certain amount that must be relinquished regardless.

Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #14014315 05/29/21 03:32 AM
P
Palirwin Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
Had a good day of fishing yesterday morning on Travis. Mostly small LMB on a Texas Rig, casting up close to the bank and working it off the ledges to about 10-15'. Most bites were shallow and close to the bank, but I could not get bit on spinner baits or jigs. My partner caught a couple in 15 foot on a drop shot stick worm in green pumpkin. I did catch a nice 3.5 lb on a white swim jig along a 35' bluff. The water was super clear, it has come up a little bit, 75* where I was. All in all we caught about 15 fish in 4 hours, so we didn't light it up, but after getting skunked last time out I was happy to get bit again. One last note, I threw top water for the first hour without a single strike. I haven't caught a topwater fish in so long, and I am desperate to do so. This time of year I usually kill on topwater, but can't get it done this year. I have tried blue, chrome, white, clear, Zara Spooks, Chug Bigs, Torpedos and buzz bait. Anyway, good luck folks! Hopefully the lake gets up a few more feet this weekend. Stay safe and watch out for the pleasure boaters! Also, never forget those who have sacrificed their lives for our rights. God Bless them all!

Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #14014924 05/29/21 10:38 PM
J
Jonathan5 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
I had pretty much the same day as Palirwin. Went to Jonestown and started at first light. Fished top water without a single strike. Changed to sassy shad and caught 10, all in the 2 lb range. Most fish were caught within 10 foot of the bank. It wasn't fast and furious, I fished until around noon. I did have a bonus catch, caught a fish with a lure attached to it. [Linked Image]

Re: Lake Travis [Re: gillom] #14017348 06/01/21 02:32 PM
C
Chis D Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted by gillom
Farmers on the coast own some water rights to Colorado river water. There is a certain amount that must be relinquished regardless.

There is that, but rice requirements are generally seasonal (I believe early and later summer are the large demands). There is a minimum flow requirement for the sake of coastal habitat. But, right now, the inflows below Austin are significant enough to supply both and then some.

Re: Lake Travis [Re: Rayzor] #14017350 06/01/21 02:34 PM
C
Chis D Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
[quote=Chis D][quote=Rayzor]"Our hydrologists determined that we needed to release." What? I would have immediately replied with "What present or upcoming events have lead to this decision?" "Our hydrologists have determined" is about as plausible as "because we wanted to."

I did reply and noted the seasonal trends, historical levels, etc and asked for a reasoned explanation....I am guessing you already know what type of response I received...none.

Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #14017356 06/01/21 02:38 PM
C
Chis D Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Regarding fishing, I only had a couple of hours Monday morning to test a new trolling motor and fish a little. Ended up with 5, all dinks. All five boated came off of shallow diving cranks working banks of coves up the Colorado. I had a couple of decent bites on drop shot in ~10ft of water - one wrapped me into a tree, the other didn't set. In short, typical Travis. The water up the Colorado was a little stained, but not bad. The water on the Pedernales was pretty dirty with the recent rain/flows.

Last edited by Chis D; 06/01/21 02:38 PM.
Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #14017884 06/01/21 11:11 PM
fivebites Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
If any of you boys want to do a little fishing together, pm me. I live in Jonestown but have access to the Lago ramps as well. Just moved from DFW a couple of years ago and Travis is still a dink fest to me. I'd like to learn more from folks who have spent more time on it than me.

2019 Chevy Tahoe
2018 Basscat Eyra 250 Proxs
PB Wife of 32 years!
PB Largemouth 9.56 Ray Roberts
Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #14018791 06/02/21 07:39 PM
P
Palirwin Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
Just sent you a PM fivebites. Went to Travis yesterday and the fish were biting well! Saw one of the coolest things I have ever seen along a bluff. There was a school of LMB feeding on minnows under a dock, and the way the water was so clear and the sun was just the right angle, I was able to sit there and watch them hunt. It was so entertaining! It was like someone threw a bunch of minnows into the tank at Bass Pro Shops! Funny thing was, I couldn't get a bite on any lure I threw at them. Still, we went up to the lake a ways and caught a LOT of fish. 3 lbs 1 oz was my best, and mostly caught them on soft plastic close to the bank but in 20 feet of water. This was my first time hitting some of my old fishing holes up there in about 20 years, and I have to say it was worth the LONG boat ride. Boat traffic made it pretty rough in the 17 foot Tracker, but I am glad we went. The fish were aggressive and active. The timing was from 1:00-5:00 in the afternoon, partly cloudy with a light breeze. Water was mostly clear and 78*. I know the size of fish on Travis are smaller than average, but DANG I love this lake! It is just my lake home regardless. Tight Lines folks!

Last edited by Palirwin; 06/07/21 06:48 PM.
Re: Lake Travis [Re: fivebites] #14018795 06/02/21 07:42 PM
P
Palirwin Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
Not sure I sent that PM correctly fivebites so let me know if you don't get it.

Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #14018927 06/02/21 10:16 PM
fivebites Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by Palirwin
Not sure I sent that PM correctly fivebites so let me know if you don't get it.

No sir. I'll send you one back.

2019 Chevy Tahoe
2018 Basscat Eyra 250 Proxs
PB Wife of 32 years!
PB Largemouth 9.56 Ray Roberts
Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #14019638 06/03/21 04:48 PM
D
datkins Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
D
I've only been on Travis a couple of times, but I really enjoy the lake. A couple of weeks ago I was there on a guided trip and we caught about 15-20 in different spots on a shad colored grub on a little jig head.
I'm usually stuck on the bank, but love living near so many great bodies of water!

Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #14023787 06/07/21 06:54 PM
P
Palirwin Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
Shad colored grub is always a safe bet on Travis. Not sure I am going to be able to make it out this week, but hoping for a Thursday afternoon trip.

Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #14028550 06/11/21 03:08 PM
P
Palirwin Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
P
Fished out of Gloster Bend yesterday from about noon-3. Man, it seemed hot! Water temp was just over 80* but the fish were bighting well in 15-20' of water. Caught them slow rolling a spinner bait and fishing a small worm, Texas rigged of course. :-) I really thought I could get away from the skiers on a Thursday up the lake, which I guess I did, but the jet skiers were very interested in riding around wherever I fished! I don't know why it is they seem to like to buzz my boat. Are they trying to run off the fisherman? I am sure it is just them being oblivious to how annoying it is, but sometimes it feels intentional. Anyway, caught quite a few, biggest was only about 1 1/2 lbs so nothing big. I will say that the number of minnows/shad swimming around the lake is incredible. Many years of fishing Travis and I have never seen them so thick everywhere I go. I know finding the bait helps you find the fish, but when the bait seems to be everywhere it is a chore to get them to bite what I am offering. Still, all the fish I caught yesterday were very skinny little Travis bullets. I really need to work on skipping lures under the docks. My accuracy in that technique is severely lacking!

Re: Lake Travis [Re: Palirwin] #14028632 06/11/21 04:14 PM
A
Average Joe Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
I live in ATX and haven't fished Lake Travis a bunch but have been on a few guided trips out there with a guy name Tyler Torwick. He knows that lake like the back of his hand. He actually writes the fish reports for TWPD and the technique has been using on his website.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide