texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,021
TexDawg 119,788
Bigbob_FTW 95,327
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,356
Mark Perry 72,488
Derek 🐝 68,322
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,911
Posts13,955,195
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
great example of UV INDEX #14008632 05/24/21 04:45 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Ive been discussing how UV index can affect fish locations, particularly crappie.
today is a good example. in central texas it is
75 F
RAINING
CLOUDY
but the UV INDEX VERY HIGH 8
so even though it is cloudy, rainy, cool, the fish would be more inclined to be deeper in my opinion.

an example of high UV index would be when you get massive sunburn on a cloudy day, with a cool breeze. we think there is no danger because the sunlight isnt blinding us, but the UV rays are what is doing the damage.
I believe crappie are very UV light sensitive, and it affects thier location in the water column almost constantly.
This may be a reason they primarily feed at night.

Last edited by leanin post; 05/24/21 04:57 PM.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: great example of UV INDEX [Re: leanin post] #14008793 05/24/21 07:38 PM
S
SK. Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Another factor to look at to assist getting on these fish......

I usually just go when I can and find a pattern to suit the conditions.....

Crappie Guide on Houston TX area lakes. Email to schedule a trip: skscrappiecatchingadventures@gmail.com or call my message line 281-301-9316

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....Onxy A/M 24 PFD's

Check Out SK's CRAPPIE Catching Adventures on YouTube....
https://www.youtube.com/user/fishingorhunting
Re: great example of UV INDEX [Re: SK.] #14008897 05/24/21 09:42 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by SK.
Another factor to look at to assist getting on these fish......

I usually just go when I can and find a pattern to suit the conditions.....

yep, I also go when I can, and try to find patterns, my game though is to try and find them faster, and more efficiently than the day before. we all know how important depth is, so if I can go to cover and structure in a more probable depth that holds fish, it can save me from fishing many spots at different depths that dont hold fish.
Time goes by fast on the water, and I want to spend my time catching fish, not aimlessly searching cover or structure until I happen upon fish.
For those who have it all worked out already, and dont need any improvements, I say keep doing what your doing.
For those who have only been fishing for a few years, I say, when you look back 5 to 10 years from now, and reflect on what you learned, either by trial and error, or what someone told you, and you tried, you will be amazed by how little you actually knew.
Heres an example, there are many aspects to a pattern,. years back if I saw a pile of fish on cover or structure, I would catch one or two, but found it hard to pull myself off when they were down there, but wouldnt bite. sit there for an hour. Since then I have figured out that one or 2 fish from a pile, can be what the pattern is for that day.
My gameplan quickly switches to fishing many piles, quickly, to pick off those one or two fish on each pile that are aggressive. not to sit on one spot, trying to trick them into biting, or wait for them to turn on. 10 minutes, and im gone, I may circle back to it later, but im not going to let moss grow on the bottom of my boat. many thoughts run thru the mind like, I caught 15 off this spot last week, what time was it? maybe im early, gonna give it a bit.. a half hour goes by.,,. then, well its the same time now, maybe they want a different color bait, hmmm still not biting, maybe change the size profile, hmmm nothing, and an hour and a half has gone by. we try to convince ourselves we should get the same results this time, that we got last time. it takes discipline to pick up and leave a pile that you know has a bunch of fish on, when you caught a nice on or 2, and see them on sonar.
Sometimes there is a pattern within a pattern and patterns can change hourly.
fishing is all abt collecting information, and observing the particulars. then applying what you observed them to decide a gameplan.
I never go fishing with just a drift around and hope to find a few mentality. I check moon phase, lake levels, seasonal contributions such as mayfly hatch, cricket locations, grasshopper, UV index, wind conditions thru the week, water color, ect
Maybe I put to much work into it, but it pays off, is fun, and rewarding for me anyway.
Sometimes the anticipation, planning, and preparation is more fun than the actual event. watching the whole process come to fruition, as planned.
When you talk to people fishing the same lake that are getting skunked, and cant figure it out, and say well the fish just arent biting, because we couldnt catch any, and being we consider ourselves the lake experts we are sure they just wont bite.
it gives great satisfaction when your home cleaning a nice mess of fish, because you did your research, kept an open mind, you made a solid plan, then implemented it on the same lake they are fishing.
Heres a perfect example, many people on lakes I fish have determined that spawn is over, because its late may, but that is not the case. They are fishing deeper water on the main lake, and cant catch many . right away, they convince themselves that they just arent biting., they are in transition, and not feeding, the list goes on and on,. they are so engrained in the TIME of year aspect, and the WATER temperature they cannot get past it. Fish dont know what time it is and water temp matters very little.
Over time I have learned that small fish are the last to leave the brush in the fall and first to arrive in the spring, so when I fished deeper piles, and caught mostly immature fish, I immediately headed back to spawning areas. last year that wasnt the case, they were done for the most part at this time. Because I have overcame the time/spawn correlation myth, it gave me insight to go recheck spawning areas and they were there.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: great example of UV INDEX [Re: leanin post] #14008928 05/24/21 10:22 PM
C
Crappie Husband Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted by leanin post

yep, I also go when I can, and try to find patterns, my game though is to try and find them faster, and more efficiently than the day before. we all know how important depth is, so if I can go to cover and structure in a more probable depth that holds fish, it can save me from fishing many spots at different depths that dont hold fish.
Time goes by fast on the water, and I want to spend my time catching fish, not aimlessly searching cover or structure until I happen upon fish.
For those who have it all worked out already, and dont need any improvements, I say keep doing what your doing.
For those who have only been fishing for a few years, I say, when you look back 5 to 10 years from now, and reflect on what you learned, either by trial and error, or what someone told you, and you tried, you will be amazed by how little you actually knew.
Heres an example, there are many aspects to a pattern,. years back if I saw a pile of fish on cover or structure, I would catch one or two, but found it hard to pull myself off when they were down there, but wouldnt bite. sit there for an hour. Since then I have figured out that one or 2 fish from a pile, can be what the pattern is for that day.
My gameplan quickly switches to fishing many piles, quickly, to pick off those one or two fish on each pile that are aggressive. not to sit on one spot, trying to trick them into biting, or wait for them to turn on. 10 minutes, and im gone, I may circle back to it later, but im not going to let moss grow on the bottom of my boat. many thoughts run thru the mind like, I caught 15 off this spot last week, what time was it? maybe im early, gonna give it a bit.. a half hour goes by.,,. then, well its the same time now, maybe they want a different color bait, hmmm still not biting, maybe change the size profile, hmmm nothing, and an hour and a half has gone by. we try to convince ourselves we should get the same results this time, that we got last time. it takes discipline to pick up and leave a pile that you know has a bunch of fish on, when you caught a nice on or 2, and see them on sonar.
Sometimes there is a pattern within a pattern and patterns can change hourly.
fishing is all abt collecting information, and observing the particulars. then applying what you observed them to decide a gameplan.
I never go fishing with just a drift around and hope to find a few mentality. I check moon phase, lake levels, seasonal contributions such as mayfly hatch, cricket locations, grasshopper, UV index, wind conditions thru the week, water color, ect
Maybe I put to much work into it, but it pays off, is fun, and rewarding for me anyway.
Sometimes the anticipation, planning, and preparation is more fun than the actual event. watching the whole process come to fruition, as planned.
When you talk to people fishing the same lake that are getting skunked, and cant figure it out, and say well the fish just arent biting, because we couldnt catch any, and being we consider ourselves the lake experts we are sure they just wont bite.
it gives great satisfaction when your home cleaning a nice mess of fish, because you did your research, kept an open mind, you made a solid plan, then implemented it on the same lake they are fishing.
Heres a perfect example, many people on lakes I fish have determined that spawn is over, because its late may, but that is not the case. They are fishing deeper water on the main lake, and cant catch many . right away, they convince themselves that they just arent biting., they are in transition, and not feeding, the list goes on and on,. they are so engrained in the TIME of year aspect, and the WATER temperature they cannot get past it. Fish dont know what time it is and water temp matters very little.
Over time I have learned that small fish are the last to leave the brush in the fall and first to arrive in the spring, so when I fished deeper piles, and caught mostly immature fish, I immediately headed back to spawning areas. last year that wasnt the case, they were done for the most part at this time. Because I have overcame the time/spawn correlation myth, it gave me insight to go recheck spawning areas and they were there.

Tons of good info here and a great post. Thanks for putting this out there.

Figuring out where to draw the line on giving the fish what they want vs moving to find the active fish can be tricky for me. Every time I come home with little or no fish I always think I should have covered more water.

-Kyle Campbell-
Blue Wave 2000 Pure Bay
Predator PDL
Re: great example of UV INDEX [Re: leanin post] #14009066 05/25/21 12:21 AM
S
SK. Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
CH a big help on trying different jigs is having several rods with different baits.....3 to 5mins I can do several different baits and either find a pattern or move on......

Good info LP......

Last edited by SK.; 05/25/21 05:13 AM.

Crappie Guide on Houston TX area lakes. Email to schedule a trip: skscrappiecatchingadventures@gmail.com or call my message line 281-301-9316

REGARDLESS OF HOW MANLY YOU THINK YOU ARE WEARING A PFD CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE.....Onxy A/M 24 PFD's

Re: great example of UV INDEX [Re: leanin post] #14011006 05/26/21 03:54 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
there is always a path to catch fish on a lake, sometimes it takes a while to figure it out. sometimes you dont that day. just because we didnt figure it out, doesnt mean there wasnt a pattern, technique, or angle that we could have used that would have worked.
if you ever fish tournaments with skilled crappie fisherman, now matter how tough it is that day, someone always seems to figure something out and come in with a decent string. I have fished tournaments on a very tough daytime lake, stillousy (stillhouse lake), where most of the contestants didnt even way in a single fish, one time I had just 2. Then someone shows up with 6 or 7 nice fish. They figured out a pattern that worked that day.
when boats start coming to the weigh in, and your smelling like skunk, your secretly hoping everybody got skunked.. lol
you want others to help validate that they just werent biting, because you didnt do well.
many dont even show up, to weigh if they got skunked. too much pride. If they had caught 7 big fish, they would be standing in the weigh in line, grinning like a mule in a alfalfa patch. ive seen this many times.
I want to know who caught fish and how, so I can acknowledge that it was possible, and maybe get an idea of how they did it.
I always keep an open mind, and try to learn what was different abt those who did well and those who didnt,.
The first thing we must do , above all else is LOCATE the fish before we can even attempt to catch them. I try to use all of the tools available to do this, and because I understand how crappie respond to changing light conditions, and rarely water temperature, the UV light intensity has become an important tool in my toolbox.
Take largemouth bass, they can be found shallow almost year around, spawn very shallow, I dont think the UV light affects them much, white bass, tend to live deeper but feed shallow sometimes. Crappie are different , they move up and down in the water column frequently. They are roamers, and gather in areas that are suitable to them, for that period of the day. Like nomadic tribes, trying to find shade in the desert near a food source.

Re: great example of UV INDEX [Re: leanin post] #14011080 05/26/21 05:07 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
something else ive noticed abt crappie fisherman, after a tournament, nobody sticks around, has a soda or beer, and talks abt how are where they caught thier fish, or socializes much, they weigh in, then pretty much leave. its like the secret service
Bass fisherman will argue and fight on the water, over spots, but after weigh in will sit around and laugh and joke, trading info. looking at one anothers boats, lures, equiptment, talk abt patterns, locations, techniques, ect.
Same thing with small clubs, bass fisherman act more like a family, where crappie fisherman need a structured, official, rules oriented atmosphere .Hammering out and debating the particulars as if they are writing the constitution... trying to get the local news crew to come. it just goes on and on.
like a city council or something. never understood why its like this.
Bass clubs go meet at the lake, throw 50.00 in a hat, go fish and winner takes all
crappie fisherman call the lake officials, get permits, try to recruit sponsors, change the date several times, hang banners, bring a PA system to talk to 20 people, set up an official weigh station with certified scales, set up a white board with everyones names on it, wear professional shirts with thier favorite products on it. its always a BIG production for a relatively small event. most crappie fisherman tend to also be very frugal in ways. we will buy each and every new color and size of jig or pole that comes along, expensive sonar, nice boats, but when it comes to paying 100 dollars to enter a tournament, we have chest pains,, LOL
Bass guys will go buy a bag of 20.00 crank baits and not even consider the costs if they believe it will help catch a big bass.
I guess we are a different breed of fisherman. very secretive, and mostly unsociable amongst other crappie fisherman. JMO.
This mentality, in my opinion shows lack of true confidence in abilities, because if you are worried abt someone finding "your spots". it means you dont have the confidence to consistently find new spots on a lake, from day to day. you have cemented in your mind that a spot will have fish on it continually, and you can go back to it again and again, and obtain the same results, same sizes, and numbers, but in reality, that is rarely the case. crappie move way too much to nail them down on specific cover or structure, again and again.
When I fished tournaments I stopped prefishing the day before, because so many times, I went back to where I caught them the day before, and they werent there, or feeding.. this starts you off with a large confidence drop. mild panic sets in.
What I do is start on a spot, and see if I can get bites, at the same time, I observe what the rest of the field is doing, If I start seeing boats moving alot, running back and forth across the lakes, this tells me that its going to be a challenging day.. because they all went to the best spots they know, and arent catching either, so they left.
At this time, I have gained information., at this time, I have choices to make. I can either stay on my spot, and try to entice the fish im on to bite, or pick up and start spot checking. is the pattern for the day going to be a fish here, a fish there, and try to make a decent 7 fish string, or will they start feeding a bit later and should I circle back to where the sonar showed fish. its all abt the decisions we make, based on our observances.
yesterday there werent many baitfish in the area, but today, they are in huge schools where im fishing, should I put out my single offering amongst 10s of thousands of shad, and hope they find mine, or pick up and move. Are the blue Herons standing along the bank trying to catch wounded baitfish that are near the bank, because schools of fish hammered the baitfish in the area the night before, and fed heavily? are there cormorants in the area?
I try to become in tune with the present conditions of the moment. Then make decisions.

Re: great example of UV INDEX [Re: leanin post] #14011126 05/26/21 05:43 PM
S
SK. Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
LP it sounds as if you're as hard headed as I am about making these fish eat and yes of course after finding them......

There was a recent tourney where the 1st day Josh Jones lead by a bunch with no crowd around him..... Thinking outside the box and going where others don't go is usually the ticket..... That 1st day lead gave him the win.....

Last edited by SK.; 05/26/21 06:40 PM.

Re: great example of UV INDEX [Re: leanin post] #14011156 05/26/21 06:14 PM
B
BrazosRiverTom Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
leanin post, the above were excellent posts. Must of taking a while to type. I laughed over your description of crappie fish guys and the tournaments. I have never entered a tournament but I have run into lots of crappie fishermen and you description was spot on. Thanks for posting.

Re: great example of UV INDEX [Re: leanin post] #14011184 05/26/21 06:42 PM
S
SK. Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Forgot to mention some of those cranks those bass guys use there's only one crank in that bag for that amount if not more.....LOL

Re: great example of UV INDEX [Re: leanin post] #14011659 05/27/21 01:28 AM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
What does the UV index have to do with crappie tournaments?

hmmm

Don't know where you got your information on crappie tournaments; if it's from experience, you were fishing with the wrong group. Been fishing crappie tournaments since 2009 and never witnessed what you described.
What you described is as far from my experience as possible. I've been to Friday night fish frys, crawfish boils, ect the day before the tournament. And there was a tremendous amount of camaraderie after the tournament was over. Lots of sharing of info and laughs. Good times had by all. That's why I keep going back.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: great example of UV INDEX [Re: Ken Gaby] #14013709 05/28/21 07:04 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by Ken Gaby
What does the UV index have to do with crappie tournaments?

hmmm

Don't know where you got your information on crappie tournaments; if it's from experience, you were fishing with the wrong group. Been fishing crappie tournaments since 2009 and never witnessed what you described.
What you described is as far from my experience as possible. I've been to Friday night fish frys, crawfish boils, ect the day before the tournament. And there was a tremendous amount of camaraderie after the tournament was over. Lots of sharing of info and laughs. Good times had by all. That's why I keep going back.

your experiences and my experiences are evidently different. your opinion represents ,, well just one opinion. if Im not mistaken the 'GROUP" you belong to is 100 miles away, in a different county. im not going drive 100 miles plus, to get a free fish sandwich or hob nob with people abt lakes being fished 4 to 5 hours away such as lake fork, lake of the pines, ect.
Im talking abt people who have fished tournaments in my general area. Just because you in particular feel like you are in a group that works for you doesnt mean its the normal or the "right " way to do things. if it was soooooo great, everyone would be part of your "group"/ noidea

Re: great example of UV INDEX [Re: SK.] #14013723 05/28/21 07:17 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by SK.
LP it sounds as if you're as hard headed as I am about making these fish eat and yes of course after finding them......

There was a recent tourney where the 1st day Josh Jones lead by a bunch with no crowd around him..... Thinking outside the box and going where others don't go is usually the ticket..... That 1st day lead gave him the win.....

yes, often the different result, is do to different actions!!!
What are they doing differently, that makes the difference?
I think of many things and dont have livescope, but learning from those that do, by thier posts and results
how trolling motors sometimes scare fish and sometimes not also interests me.
most trolling motors nowdays come with the weedless wedge, swamp type prop,. they are very noisy by design,
the old style props were alot more quiet. Im going to also experiment with this soon as well.
I have watched a guy fishing in a small flat boat, running an 8 hp outboard, right next to the bridge pilings he was fishing, moving from piling to piling, leaving the motor running, and catching fish after fish. I have also noticed fish flee off of a brushpile when I got on them with the trolling motor. strange fish.
If you go look at your prop. you will see the little wings on it. It is NOT designed for great propulsion or quiteness, it is designed so when you get weeds in it, and reverse it, it throws the weeds out. If I can run a trolling motor prop that doesnt scare fish off as much, then my find, and catch ratio goes up,., everything matters!!!

Last edited by leanin post; 05/28/21 08:59 PM.

Re: great example of UV INDEX [Re: BrazosRiverTom] #14013752 05/28/21 07:51 PM
L
leanin post Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by BrazosRiverTom
leanin post, the above were excellent posts. Must of taking a while to type. I laughed over your description of crappie fish guys and the tournaments. I have never entered a tournament but I have run into lots of crappie fishermen and you description was spot on. Thanks for posting.

you would think a new boat and 100.000 dollars was on the line. everybody wired on coffee, look like they didnt sleep for 2 nights, just so serious, sitting on thier spots an hour before start time , over a 50.00 entry fee tournament. most times if you even make your expenses back, you did good.
Ive fished large tournaments like the annual Fishing for Freedom, over 270 boats, estimated value over 10 million , with alot of money on the line,great prizes, deer hunts, vacations, and a new boat, and the guys werent near as serious. I competed against pros, such as Gary Klien, he fished the fishing for freedom tourney several years, some great fisherman, local guides, lake record holders in the bass circuits, nobody was having nervous breakdowns over the tournament.
Most times the winners give thier prizes to the veterans they fish with. Im hoping Texas boat world has a crappie tourney one year. They have an amazing program,. If you ever want to witness a real , professional, amazing tournament , go watch the annual Fishing for Freedom tourney in october on lake Belton. one of the best events ive been to ever. I may fish it again in the coming year. all you need to enter is a safe boat, and agree to take a veteran fishing, and u have a chance to win 10s of thousands in money, and prizes.. they have a super banquet, with great food, hundreds of boxes of krispy kreme donuts the morning of the tourney, sing the national anthem, and fly old glory, high and proud! The guy I took, is now a friend for life.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide