Page 1 of 2 1 2
Tire line cast nets vs mono #14007947 05/23/21 10:51 PM
D
DidUReboot Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
D
I was curious whether any of you have swapped from a mono cast net to one of the more durable tire line nets. With the water up like it is right now, a lot more big rocks are hidden and I got my mono net caught once today, rescued it and replaced a brail line, threw it again and caught a rock that broke the remaining braid lines effectively trashing the net. I’ve been looking at the tire line nets, but am unsure whether they open as well as mono, sink as quickly, and whether they’re just a beating on your arms after a few casts. I normally use a 7’ net. Any advice and personal experiences would be great! I’ve got 15 years experience using mono cast nets. I know how to use them, I know that it’s risky, I know what baits to use and where. I simply looking for experiences and advice SPECIFICALLY on use of tire line cast nets vs mono cast nets.

Last edited by DidUReboot; 05/24/21 12:57 AM.
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Tire line cast nets vs mono [Re: DidUReboot] #14008007 05/24/21 12:04 AM
C
Coolarrow Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Man I have always use mono nets. 7’ most of the time. Never tried one of tire line nets. I don’t think changing nets will stop you from damaging your net though.
I found that it’s when I catch my bait has the most effect. If I’m trying in the day time I scan an area really well looking for bait but also for snags. I’ll find shad on drops schooled up off the bottom and I’ll try to find a spot I don’t see any trees of lay downs. At night I find the shad shallow with a q beam so I’ll hit the places that have clay of sandy banks. Once i have located a few good haunts on a body of water that area usually hold bait seasonally. Not what you were asking for exactly but I think looking around in lake your fishing might help.

Re: Tire line cast nets vs mono [Re: DidUReboot] #14008012 05/24/21 12:05 AM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Don’t throw on that spot again. No net will survive a stump, Boulder or Crappie condo. Eliminate areas with lots of snags like rocky and stumpy areas. Stay off bridge pilings unless your desperate for bait as those have a ton of cast net killers submerged around the base. I try and catch my Shad in the same 5 holes most of the year so I know I’m clear of snags. Some times you gotta go searching to get what you need and this is when I snag my nets. I carry 3 nets on the boat.

There is a fine line between fishing and floating around like an idiot!!
texas Check out out my YouTube channel El Gato Azul TV texas
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0aV-uOxzxKxeqFFfREzKg
⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️ Home of little boys holding big catfish! ⚓️⚓️⚓️⚓️
Re: Tire line cast nets vs mono [Re: DidUReboot] #14008029 05/24/21 12:19 AM
E
Ed-n-eddy Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
Don't forget with a stronger net, you likely won't pull it out at all. Those line failures are likely what let you recover what you did, of the net. Like Gato said, find a better place.

1987 Whaler Super Sport 17, Yamaha 90
1981 Whaler Sport 13, Johnson 50
Re: Tire line cast nets vs mono [Re: DidUReboot] #14008035 05/24/21 12:28 AM
D
DidUReboot Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
D
I know y’all keep saying don’t throw in that spot again. That’s a given. Honestly not sure why that was even necessary to say. I’m obviously not going to throw in the same spot. But I’m a bank fisherman. I’m limited on spots. I tried several spots today and with the water up, a lot of brush and rocks were submerged and NOT VISIBLE. It’s just risk/reward. I want input from people who have tried the alternatives. I’ve got catching bait with a mono net down. I’m just trying to do less replacing.

Last edited by DidUReboot; 05/24/21 12:31 AM.
Re: Tire line cast nets vs mono [Re: DidUReboot] #14008042 05/24/21 12:39 AM
C
Coolarrow Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
When i was stuck bank fishing I used live perch for bait a lot and less shad. Sometimes I would hit the bait shop for some gold fish.. I could bring a little perch rod along with a box of worms and would catch my bait that way as I went. Cast nets from the bank will be an issue for sure! Good luck.

Re: Tire line cast nets vs mono [Re: Coolarrow] #14008051 05/24/21 12:53 AM
D
DidUReboot Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
D
I’m confused by your response, I’m asking about people’s experience with the more durable cast nets. I know about shad, carp, goldfish, all the bait and how to catch it. I’m just trying to get information of peoples experience using tire line cast nets vs mono

Re: Tire line cast nets vs mono [Re: DidUReboot] #14008106 05/24/21 02:02 AM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I was trying to help you out. I thought it was necessary to say cuz you said you broke your net, repaired it and then broke it again. I don’t know what to tell ya man. Been throwing cast nets almost weekly since the 80s and those are the things I do so I don’t mess up my $150 nets. I go through 1 net per year and I throw every week. Anybody throwing one of those nets your talking about probably isn’t the right person you want to be taking advice from. Just sayin. Good luck with your cast netting. Sounds like your gonna need it.

Re: Tire line cast nets vs mono [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #14008120 05/24/21 02:20 AM
D
DidUReboot Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
D
It’s newer technology I’m interested in learning about. So those people using those that are probably not the person I want to talk to are exactly the people I want to talk to who can tell me their experiences. If I don’t learn something groundbreaking about them, I’ll get another mono. But before my next purchase, I wanted to learn something about the cast nets that I knew nothing about(the tire line nets). I use my net weekly and have for a couple decades. I lose about one net every 2-5 years. So if you need some advice I’d be happy to help you out.

Last edited by DidUReboot; 05/24/21 02:40 AM.
Re: Tire line cast nets vs mono [Re: DidUReboot] #14008153 05/24/21 02:55 AM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
If you only go through 1 net every 3 years then why would you be so worried about ripping your net....You want to give me advice about cast netting?? roflmao Taking advice from a guy who throws on submerged brush and then immediately throws on rocks doesn’t sound like someone I want advice from about cast netting but thanks for the offer. Throwing on submerged brush and rocks is something I used to do when I was a kid. My 5 yr old can probably throw a better net than you.

Re: Tire line cast nets vs mono [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #14008168 05/24/21 03:17 AM
D
DidUReboot Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
D
See, this is the problem, since the beginning you were assuming I needed advice and help throwing a net and catching bait. I want to learn about a different type of net. I have no interest in your 5 year old who has a magic ability to see everything in the murky water. Some of us though aren’t up on a boat getting to look down in the water or using sonar. We have to rely a lot on luck from the bank no knowing where everything is 20 feet out in murky conditions. I very clearly from the beginning asked if anyone had experience or knowledge with the different type of cast net. I explained a problem I ran into today. We all lose nets. Stuff happens. I have no problem asking for help if I need help learning how to do something. In this case, I know for to throw a cast net. I want to know more about tire line nets. How they work, what peoples experience is. Lots of people we’re losing and breaking nets today in the different spots I visited. It was just a bad day for nets. But that doesn’t mean that all of us ranging from 20 to 60 don’t know how to throw a net. It just means that it was impossible to see where we were throwing from the bank till it was too late. I’m not just worried about preventing rips. I literally just want to know more about the different material. Nothing more.

Last edited by DidUReboot; 05/24/21 03:18 AM.
Re: Tire line cast nets vs mono [Re: DidUReboot] #14008204 05/24/21 04:05 AM
🍀El Gato Azul🍀 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I tend to butt heads with people who aren’t like minded and I wasn’t assuming anything. You said you had a problem ripping nets on brush and rocks. I was trying to help out a guy who was having problems ripping up his cast nets. Instead of getting your panties in a wad you should have said thank you. I have a ton of experience with cast nets and I was trying to offer you some advice. F me for trying to help someone like you out. I tried to tell ya no net will survive a rock or a stump including the net you speak of. There is no magical net that will survive those snags. The mighty Azul has spoken! coach whip

Re: Tire line cast nets vs mono [Re: DidUReboot] #14008636 05/24/21 04:52 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Common sense should tell a person that just because a net might be more durable doesn't mean that it won't get caught on the same rocks, stumps, etc than a common mono net.
The difference is with a mono net, you will probably get a portion of or a ripped net back.
A stronger net you may not retrieve at all, and will need a sharp knife handy, and having to use more force you may still end up with a ripped net.
As mentioned above, don't throw into an area that looks like there may be snags, and try places you know are clean of snags.
If you aren't willing to risk that net, then don't throw it.
Even if you use it every day, sooner or later it's going to happen, but it comes with the territory.

Just one more cast!

Re: Tire line cast nets vs mono [Re: DidUReboot] #14010045 05/25/21 07:17 PM
D
DidUReboot Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
D
So I did some research and decided to go with another mono net rather than a nylon net. The reasons are because the nylon needs to be fabric softened regularly just to continue to work properly and open. The nylon also soaks up water and becomes increasingly heavier. The nylon also doesn’t sink as fast as the mono.

Re: Tire line cast nets vs mono [Re: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀] #14010051 05/25/21 07:20 PM
D
DidUReboot Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
D
I’m the same way. I tend to butt heads. Especially in situations like this where there are a million different ways to do things, a million different opinions and a lack of ability to speak to the other person organically and things get mistranslated or whatever. So my apologies for butting heads. I saw those fish this past weekend with you and your boy. Looked like an awesome trip.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide