Page 1 of 2 1 2
CANE FISH ATTRACTORS #13978065 04/29/21 01:19 AM
D
DLALLDER Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
D
Has anyone made fish attractors from cane (bamboo)? How long did it last and did it show up on the depth finders once dropped in the lake? Thanks Daniel

Re: CANE FISH ATTRACTORS [Re: DLALLDER] #13978865 04/29/21 04:11 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
in my opinion NO BUENO... most times, the only thing that holds fish on those is the bucket they are in. my advise would be to put out FRESH cedar or oak limbs with plenty of VEE sections in them,. lots of secondary branches, and put them out laying horizontally , and stack them. try to put them in an area where the depth changes quickly, like from 13 to 18 feet. this will last years!!
for some reason fresh , live brush put out in the right areas will always be better than dead sticks. not sure if the resin in the trees attracts baitfish, or the carbon dioxide bubbles it gives off when decaying, or what, but they will come to fresh stuff very quickly.
I would stay away from hackberry and willow. all those little leaves on willow will fall off in 4 days. use bulky , thick tree limbs .
if u decide not to use hardwood tree limbs, you may as well just fill some buckets with cement, and go sink them in groups.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: CANE FISH ATTRACTORS [Re: leanin post] #13979057 04/29/21 06:11 PM
D
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted by leanin post
in my opinion NO BUENO... most times, the only thing that holds fish on those is the bucket they are in. my advise would be to put out FRESH cedar or oak limbs with plenty of VEE sections in them,. lots of secondary branches, and put them out laying horizontally , and stack them. try to put them in an area where the depth changes quickly, like from 13 to 18 feet. this will last years!!
for some reason fresh , live brush put out in the right areas will always be better than dead sticks. not sure if the resin in the trees attracts baitfish, or the carbon dioxide bubbles it gives off when decaying, or what, but they will come to fresh stuff very quickly.
I would stay away from hackberry and willow. all those little leaves on willow will fall off in 4 days. use bulky , thick tree limbs .
if u decide not to use hardwood tree limbs, you may as well just fill some buckets with cement, and go sink them in groups.

Leaning post, Have you ever put out any fish attractors other than wood? I put some pvc type about 2 weeks ago and am catching fish off of them now. I have used cedar, oak & bois d'arc trees & limbs for years but have gotten too old to handle them now. BTW I asked for advice from those that had used cane (bamboo) for fish attractors. Daniel

Re: CANE FISH ATTRACTORS [Re: DLALLDER] #13979210 04/29/21 08:11 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
ive used river cane and bamboo , no luck with either. On waco they put out a forrest of rivercane and willow standing in buckets under the bridge, and it holds nothing, as far as the PVC, as I indicated, your likely catching fish from them because of the container they are in,, they are relating to the bucket on the bottom., \once algea growth occurs, they can attract minnows and fish will gather more. better than nothing at all., .
the situation may be different in your location,, just try it and see what happens., cheers

Last edited by leanin post; 04/29/21 08:16 PM.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: CANE FISH ATTRACTORS [Re: DLALLDER] #13987706 05/06/21 11:09 AM
D
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
D
Went out yesterday to check out 2 new locations with the bamboo fish attractions. Only fished about 2 hrs but did put 14 keepers in the boat. I was surprised to see that after being in the water almost a month they were showing up with the electronics. I did not catch any whoppers but put 3 bags of fillets in the freezer. Will get several more built soon, now if I could only figure out how long they will last in the lake.

Re: CANE FISH ATTRACTORS [Re: DLALLDER] #13987847 05/06/21 01:11 PM
C
cbell Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I used bamboo. I Put them out right after I make them and while they are still green and full of leaves. They will hold fish and some will hold lots of fish but they only last about 3-4 years

Cbell
Re: CANE FISH ATTRACTORS [Re: DLALLDER] #13987940 05/06/21 02:21 PM
C
Coolarrow Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
I just build two pvc trees. Going to sink them this weekend if the wind allows me to get out there. I used 10’ long 4” pvc and 1” cross pieces. Never tried it before but I had some old junk pipe so we will see.

Re: CANE FISH ATTRACTORS [Re: DLALLDER] #13988770 05/07/21 01:59 AM
Cameron Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I’ve put 5 out on Fork and I bet I have $250 in jigs hung in them over the last couple of years.
Lol . 0/5 stars would not recommend. Fish get in them but no thanks

Re: CANE FISH ATTRACTORS [Re: Cameron] #13988801 05/07/21 02:19 AM
C
Coolarrow Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted by Cameron
I’ve put 5 out on Fork and I bet I have $250 in jigs hung in them over the last couple of years.
Lol . 0/5 stars would not recommend. Fish get in them but no thanks

Just wondering. Did you leave the leaves on the stalks? Is the branch of the bamboo what your getting hung on. The only bamboo ones I seen were just the poles shoved into a 5 gal bucket of concrete. Like 15 or 20 of them sticking up. I didn’t think it would be like brush as far as getting hung. That’s why I’m trying the pvc. Figured less to snag on. Just wondering.

Re: CANE FISH ATTRACTORS [Re: DLALLDER] #13990842 05/09/21 02:03 PM
Beltonbanger� Online Shocked
Extreme Angler
Online Shocked
Extreme Angler
We used to have an endless supply of heavy bamboo. Would just used the heavy canes with no leaves. Put some in cross ways so if they tipped over they still would be fishable. Always held good fish, easy fishing and harder to find for all the moochers!!! Good luck!!!!!

The "no bull" fish taxidermist!!!!!

Visit me on Facebook!!!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fin-and-Bones-Taxidermy/337236589711827?ref=stream
Re: CANE FISH ATTRACTORS [Re: DLALLDER] #13990893 05/09/21 02:58 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
95 percent of what folks are putting out is not real bamboo, its river cane,.

Re: CANE FISH ATTRACTORS [Re: leanin post] #13991318 05/09/21 11:59 PM
D
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted by leanin post
95 percent of what folks are putting out is not real bamboo, its river cane,.

Explain what the difference is, Please.

Re: CANE FISH ATTRACTORS [Re: DLALLDER] #13993010 05/11/21 12:58 PM
Extreme Angler
Online Shocked
Extreme Angler
[Linked Image]
Bamboo is much more solid and the canes we used were about 3" in diameter. They last a long time and we even used a chain saw to cut them down.

[Linked Image]
You can find this junk everywhere. It is along side of roads, creeks and ditches. It doesn't last anytime at all. You can cut it with loppers. It grows a single plume on top
and has leaves that grow on the shaft. I tried to use it in my garden and it never lasted one year. I now have bamboo in my garden and have been using the same
canes for 4 years now.
Lots of times people have real bamboo that they planted for a yard break and it gets out of hand. You can generally get it for free. There are two types of bamboo, running and
bunching. The running type gets out of control real quick and it is very hard to kill once it does.

Visit me on Facebook!!!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fin-and-Bones-Taxidermy/337236589711827?ref=stream
Re: CANE FISH ATTRACTORS [Re: Beltonbanger�] #13995102 05/12/21 08:01 PM
L
Lepisosteus.carpio Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted by Beltonbanger�
[Linked Image]
Bamboo is much more solid and the canes we used were about 3" in diameter. They last a long time and we even used a chain saw to cut them down.

[Linked Image]
You can find this junk everywhere. It is along side of roads, creeks and ditches. It doesn't last anytime at all. You can cut it with loppers. It grows a single plume on top
and has leaves that grow on the shaft. I tried to use it in my garden and it never lasted one year. I now have bamboo in my garden and have been using the same
canes for 4 years now.
Lots of times people have real bamboo that they planted for a yard break and it gets out of hand. You can generally get it for free. There are two types of bamboo, running and
bunching. The running type gets out of control real quick and it is very hard to kill once it does.

Yes, Beltonbanger is correct. River cane (aka Arundo or giant reed) is not nearly as resilient as bamboo. That's not to say bamboo is a great, either. The Lake Waco crappie condos made of bamboo are all but gone a few years after install, so I'm not advocating for either one. But I definitely wouldn't use Arundo as it will decompose much faster than bamboo. Arundo is also an invasive species (as is bamboo) so please be careful with moving either of them around if the shoots are alive.

http://www.tsusinvasives.org/home/database/arundo-donax

Re: CANE FISH ATTRACTORS [Re: Lepisosteus.carpio] #13995239 05/12/21 09:48 PM
Extreme Angler
Online Shocked
Extreme Angler
The bamboo they put in Waco was thin canes with all the leaves attached. Good heavy bamboo will last much longer. Some of the heavy bamboo we put in was there for at least many years. There are many different types of bamboo. I was going to grow some of the bunching bamboo but it still requires quite a bit of room if you plan on harvesting it.

Visit me on Facebook!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide