Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Re: Constitutional carry [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #13988566 05/06/21 10:40 PM
B
Bob Davis Offline
Bunkeroid Bob
Bunkeroid Bob
B
Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮
Do we have to attack donothin just because he has like a different viewpoint?

I feel like if you really love Free speech you have to love and embrace speech even if you disagree with it.

#1st amendment

Ummmm..... that would be a big no. Free speech that is stupid needs to be called out.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
Re: Constitutional carry [Re: Bob Davis] #13988580 05/06/21 10:53 PM
Dan90210 ☮ Offline
Jr Deputy Dan
Jr Deputy Dan
Originally Posted by Bob Davis

I feel like if you really love Free speech you have to love and embrace speech even if you disagree with it.

#1st amendment

Ummmm..... that would be a big no. Free speech that is stupid needs to be called out.

[Linked Image]

Fair enough.

I was simply suggesting rather than call names or whatever you can make better points. Be more persuasive then the person expressing "stupid" speech.

I feel as though we've gotten a long way from the idea of the way to beat bad speech is with better arguments. You can agree to disagree and still respect the individual. I think Ronald Reagan was the one who said something like the way to win elections is to have better ideas. I feel like now it's about calling names and getting into the mud versus talking about ideas and concepts and looking for common ground.

Re: Constitutional carry [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #13988582 05/06/21 10:54 PM
Bigbob_FTW Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW
Originally Posted by Mudshark
I should be more excited about this than I am . It almost seems to be more about optics than anything. People who want to carry already do, the ones who didn’t before now, for the most part still won’t. Some newbies will start for about two weeks until they see what a pain in the [censored] it really is and will stop doing it. The unintended consequence is every car that is broken into will now have a gun stolen from it.

Not sure I follow that logic. If you carry without an ltc and shoot someone you'd be in deep trouble. Also, why would anyone leave a weapon in their vehicle?

Hmmm not sure I agree.

If your life is legitimately endangered and it's a clear self-defense situation and you don't have an LTC but you shoot someone... It's still self defense.

I've actually seen this happen before. The charge would be carrying a handgun without a permit and due to the fact that you had to take a life in defense of your life the prosecutor is usually pretty eager just to drop that charge. In the vast majority of cases it's a misdemeanor anyway.

I've heard the argument made that if you do have an LTC and you shoot someone and it's under any sort of questionable circumstance at all you're more likely to get a charge because you are licensed and trained to know the rules and what's a good shoot and not. I don't believe that that part is true but I've heard some folks Parrott that.

I agree its a gray area. It needs to be clear cut.

[Linked Image][Linked Image] FJB
Re: Constitutional carry [Re: elcoyote, esq.] #13988602 05/06/21 11:36 PM
rj74955 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by elcoyote, esq.
Originally Posted by donothin
Somewhere recently, maybe on TFF, the question was asked, What does, "stupid is as stupid does" mean. I looked it up and the perfect definition is "constitutional carry".

Not only are you delusional, you’re also an idiot, and a flat out liar.

He still thinks constitutional carry means open carry.

Re: Constitutional carry [Re: Uncle Zeek] #13988603 05/06/21 11:38 PM
D
drift4fish Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek
Originally Posted by COFF
I couple of things have jumped out at me reading through these responses. Some of you lawyer types please correct me if I am wrong, but here is what I believe to be true.

1. Probable cause to stop for a traffic violation is NOT the same as probable cause to search a vehicle. Just because you were speeding, the cop is not automatically allowed to search your vehicle or your person.

2. This thread is the only time I've heard of a cop asking a driver to give them their pistol. I don't think they can legally require you to do that unless they have cause to detain you (again, a traffic violation is does not provide that cause). Not sure exactly what I would do in that situation, but I am pretty sure I will NOT grab my gun, clear it, and hand it to a cop.

I've been pulled over multiple times with CHL/LTC. The closest a cop ever got to seeing my gun was asking where I kept it. I told him small of my back, and he replied "Okay, just don't reach your hands behind you."

Correct. Probably cause for vehicle stop is not probable cause to search vehicle. An LTC holder who offers their license to the cop is also not probable cause to search the vehicle. If you have your LTC and are carrying, you're supposed to present the license to the officer upon any substantive encounter, like a traffic stop. On the rare times that I have to interact with police, I ask if they want to see my LTC. Most times they say no. Some will ask if I'm actually armed and if so, where the firearm is located. No incidents where they asked me to hand my sidearm to them nor have they asked to search the vehicle.

There's also a code section that prohibits officers from detaining or searching you merely because you are an LTC holder in possession of a firearm. Now, if you were brandishing the firearm the cops would have good reason to detain you, search you, etc.

You don't have to tell a cop you are carrying if you are pulled over, even if you have your CCW. If you do tell him/her that you have a firearm in the vehicle
they do have the right to confiscate it for the duration of the stop. In Colorado there is no law that says you have to offer up your CCW either but they will
know once they run your plates, which is probably before they even approach the vehicle. I have only been pulled over once in the last 5 years and he had
me at 15 over. I handed him my CCW and said "this is in respect of you". I'll be damned if he didn't give me a warning and let me go. Nice and respectful goes
a long way.

Liberalism is a mental disorder
Re: Constitutional carry [Re: elcoyote, esq.] #13988606 05/06/21 11:42 PM
hopalong Offline
Pescador Loco
Pescador Loco
Originally Posted by elcoyote, esq.
Originally Posted by Bigbob_FTW
elcoyote, your just made cause Okies are ahead of texas in every piece of major legislation. weed, gambling, CC carry. we don't have blue counties, or purple for that matter. God's country.

*you’re

Okies aren’t ahead of anyone in spelling or grammar.

maybe not but, Okies are smart enough to stock up on beer saturday afternoon. there is that. grin

Re: Constitutional carry [Re: drift4fish] #13988622 05/06/21 11:50 PM
rj74955 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by drift4fish
Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek
Originally Posted by COFF
I couple of things have jumped out at me reading through these responses. Some of you lawyer types please correct me if I am wrong, but here is what I believe to be true.

1. Probable cause to stop for a traffic violation is NOT the same as probable cause to search a vehicle. Just because you were speeding, the cop is not automatically allowed to search your vehicle or your person.

2. This thread is the only time I've heard of a cop asking a driver to give them their pistol. I don't think they can legally require you to do that unless they have cause to detain you (again, a traffic violation is does not provide that cause). Not sure exactly what I would do in that situation, but I am pretty sure I will NOT grab my gun, clear it, and hand it to a cop.

I've been pulled over multiple times with CHL/LTC. The closest a cop ever got to seeing my gun was asking where I kept it. I told him small of my back, and he replied "Okay, just don't reach your hands behind you."

Correct. Probably cause for vehicle stop is not probable cause to search vehicle. An LTC holder who offers their license to the cop is also not probable cause to search the vehicle. If you have your LTC and are carrying, you're supposed to present the license to the officer upon any substantive encounter, like a traffic stop. On the rare times that I have to interact with police, I ask if they want to see my LTC. Most times they say no. Some will ask if I'm actually armed and if so, where the firearm is located. No incidents where they asked me to hand my sidearm to them nor have they asked to search the vehicle.

There's also a code section that prohibits officers from detaining or searching you merely because you are an LTC holder in possession of a firearm. Now, if you were brandishing the firearm the cops would have good reason to detain you, search you, etc.

You don't have to tell a cop you are carrying if you are pulled over, even if you have your CCW. If you do tell him/her that you have a firearm in the vehicle
they do have the right to confiscate it for the duration of the stop. In Colorado there is no law that says you have to offer up your CCW either but they will
know once they run your plates, which is probably before they even approach the vehicle. I have only been pulled over once in the last 5 years and he had
me at 15 over. I handed him my CCW and said "this is in respect of you". I'll be damned if he didn't give me a warning and let me go. Nice and respectful goes
a long way.

The law requires you to inform the police in Oklahoma if you’re armed anytime you’re in contact.

Re: Constitutional carry [Re: Dan90210 ☮] #13988639 05/07/21 12:20 AM
chickenman Offline
1:28
1:28

Where are these attacks located?

There is nothing, nothing at all, about constitutional carry that will negatively impact his life, freedoms, or liberties yet he was sure to inform everyone that our support of a constitutional right is "stupid is as stupid does".

So where is the attack again?

[Linked Image]
Re: Constitutional carry [Re: basscat87] #13988656 05/07/21 12:45 AM
T
Tsunami_1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Seeing the direction these posts are going I sure hope this law doesn't pass till some of you settle down a bit. If not it's going to be a bloody mess around here.

Re: Constitutional carry [Re: chickenman] #13988666 05/07/21 12:55 AM
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by chickenman

Where are these attacks located?

There is nothing, nothing at all, about constitutional carry that will negatively impact his life, freedoms, or liberties yet he was sure to inform everyone that our support of a constitutional right is "stupid is as stupid does".

So where is the attack again?

Amen!

Re: Constitutional carry [Re: grandbassslayer] #13988709 05/07/21 01:27 AM
Mudshark Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by grandbassslayer
Originally Posted by Mudshark
I should be more excited about this than I am . It almost seems to be more about optics than anything. People who want to carry already do, the ones who didn’t before now, for the most part still won’t. Some newbies will start for about two weeks until they see what a pain in the [censored] it really is and will stop doing it. The unintended consequence is every car that is broken into will now have a gun stolen from it.

Not a good reason to trample on the constitution, IMO.

How am I trampling on the constitution? All I said is the new people walking around with a gun will suddenly figure out what a pain it is and they will end up leaving them in the car to get stolen.

[Linked Image]

Re: Constitutional carry [Re: Tsunami_1] #13988812 05/07/21 02:31 AM
rj74955 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Tsunami_1
Seeing the direction these posts are going I sure hope this law doesn't pass till some of you settle down a bit. If not it's going to be a bloody mess around here.

Maybe you should read Chickenmans post also, you seem confused.

Re: Constitutional carry [Re: basscat87] #13988942 05/07/21 11:13 AM
lakeforkfisherman Offline
Elliptical Mechanic
Elliptical Mechanic
Ugh. 7 pages. Can someone summarize?

LET’S GO BRANDON!!!
Re: Constitutional carry [Re: lakeforkfisherman] #13988947 05/07/21 11:25 AM
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by lakeforkfisherman

if it passes everyone will die.

Re: Constitutional carry [Re: lakeforkfisherman] #13988948 05/07/21 11:28 AM
921 Phoenix Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by lakeforkfisherman

some want Constitutional carry, and some do not want it.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide