Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,037,817
Posts13,935,058
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Does anyone find that larger lures are better sometimes? #13986568 05/05/21 02:37 PM
S
SenkoSam Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
My partner cast Crappie Magnet grubs last week and wasn't catching fish as well as the larger lures I was casting. The day before I found that longer lures worked better and caught nice size crappy and other panfish. Long with longer or larger lures (grubs with fatter bodies) were lures with action tails that put out more vibration.
Yesterday I caught a 1 3/4 lb bass and 10" crappie in a pond on a 3.5" Kut Tail worm rigged on a 1/24 oz jig whereas no bites on a small grub.
Anyone with similar experiences?

Re: Does anyone find that larger lures are better sometimes? [Re: SenkoSam] #13986610 05/05/21 03:10 PM
O
Osbornfishing Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
Big bait often equals big fish.

Re: Does anyone find that larger lures are better sometimes? [Re: SenkoSam] #13986624 05/05/21 03:24 PM
H
HOGON Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
I have personally caught more fish using smaller baits than vice versa.

Sure there are times you want to use bigger baits.

The old saying "Match The Hatch".

For me personally 98% of the year I like going small.

The Crappie even the stuffed ones that have been gorging on Shad cant resist the small easy meal.

Small = Impulse Bite.

In the late summer when they get really funky on the bite small has been the ticket for me.

Tight Lines!!

ACC CRAPPIE STIX
BONEHEAD TACKLE
LEWS REELS
PEPOPS JIGS
FEARLESS JIGS
BUBBAS BAITS
MAD CRAPPIE JIGS
DANS JIGS
CRAZY ANGLER TACKLE
THERMOCLINE LURES
CONSTANT PURSUIT OUTFITTERS
MR CRAPPIE
POWER PRO SUPER SLICK BRAID
BERKLEY VANISH GOLD/TRANSITION
LIFT SAVER TROLLING MOTOR MOUNT
SHUT UP AND FISH
SLAB SYNDICATE JIGS
THUMPER ELITE OUTFITTERS
Re: Does anyone find that larger lures are better sometimes? [Re: SenkoSam] #13986735 05/05/21 05:02 PM
C
Centurion Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
Big bait when the shad are spawning. Small bait after the eggs hatch.

Re: Does anyone find that larger lures are better sometimes? [Re: SenkoSam] #13986817 05/05/21 06:12 PM
J
JohnButte Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Lately all I can get bites on are tiny hair jigs, 1/64 ounce.

Re: Does anyone find that larger lures are better sometimes? [Re: SenkoSam] #13987206 05/05/21 09:53 PM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
I get more bites on smaller jigs than larger

Re: Does anyone find that larger lures are better sometimes? [Re: SenkoSam] #13988735 05/07/21 01:42 AM
A
Austin_Smedley Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
A
Sometimes. Depends when and where. Before they killed the grass and had the algae outbreak at Murvaul, a full sized jig tipped with a minnow was a killer combo for big crappie but only during the early summer months. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Re: Does anyone find that larger lures are better sometimes? [Re: SenkoSam] #13988791 05/07/21 02:12 AM
C
Coolarrow Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
I use the baby Shad style jigs most of the time.

Re: Does anyone find that larger lures are better sometimes? [Re: SenkoSam] #13989320 05/07/21 05:41 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
right now the minnows on most lakes are abt 3/4 to 1 inch long.. match the hatch. the small size slab bandits are a great match, also the little frogs from constant pursuit have been a great bait for spawning fish.
while fishing belton a while back, my son noticed fish chasing little frogs in the water, so he caught one, put it on, and caught a nice slab immediately. so I remembered I had some little plastic frogs I won in a contest from Lane, put one on and we have been using them regularly. I use a wide gap, 64th oz jighead with a tiny fly float. I like this set up because it doesnt make a splash when it hits the water. the float will go down very easy and the crappie cant feel the resistance of a big float. weve been using the slab bandits in meller yeller, and pink white.. and the frogs in white, chartruese, and chartruese sparkle. I like to smear a little slab slobber on the back of the frog, and of course a crappie nibble to seal the deal.
If you want to catch more fish right now use a small bait, if u want to catch bigger fish use a larger bait. you will find that large minnows may not do too well.. how the fish know this, I dont know,, but instinctively, they know
Something else u may notice, the mayflies are beginning to hatch, when this first starts, the crappie, bass, catfish, ect will go into a frenzy. fishing will be fantastic, for a few days, then it will get tough, for maybe a week. this is the time to use natural colors like the cajun cricket, texas toast slab bandit, ect. something with brown and green in it. or brown and yellow, . after the mayfly cycle, the crickets and grass hoppers will come., florescent greens, yellows, black, all good choices.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Does anyone find that larger lures are better sometimes? [Re: SenkoSam] #13989327 05/07/21 05:44 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
also just because its may , doesnt mean the spawn is over, certainly not here in central texas.. remember spawn is not an event , its a cycle. they dont just stop according to the human construct of time.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Does anyone find that larger lures are better sometimes? [Re: SenkoSam] #13989466 05/07/21 07:58 PM
S
sticknstring Offline
Angler
Angler
S
more times than not-smaller gets a better response than large for me. I also have days that jigs will outfish live bait-go figure!!

Yesterday morning I got on the lake at mid afternoon. I had about a dozen minnows from the evening before when I took the kiddos out. I soaked a minnow under a bobber at the first brush pile I stopped at. After about thirty minutes time, that minnow was still swimming around the pile while I landed 20 fish on a 1/16 th jig with a Bonehead stump bug. I kept a 16", 13", and an 11" off that pile and moved on. I released the rest of those minnows I had before I moved to pile #2. At the end of the day, You just got to giv'em what they want...

Last edited by sticknstring; 05/07/21 09:30 PM.
Re: Does anyone find that larger lures are better sometimes? [Re: SenkoSam] #13992993 05/11/21 12:47 PM
S
SenkoSam Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Size can be crucial in my opinion but a lure's action in combination with size most times matters most for fish size and quantity. Fish are attuned to object motions first and then confirm everything else visually. Thinking is for higher forms of animals; reaction bites are what I need for fish to strike.
So, when I cast confidence lures most times of year, I'm thinking, what action/size/shape - in combination will get the most fish to react and chomp down.

A friend just sent me this mop-strand lure he made and the action was unique and hopefully catch fish as good where I fish as he has experienced.
[Linked Image]
Once I catch fish with it, it's added to my list of confidence lures such as these:
The Claw:
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
As you can see, it's kinda bulky but fish slam it as they do this chubby body/ wide flat tail grub (lure attached to outside for my records):
[Linked Image]

On the same day, longer & tapered on a light jig caught many crappie:
[Linked Image]

...as well as a smaller flat body and tail:
[Linked Image]

The worst thing an angler can do is limit lure selection based on what fish strike according to the most prevalent prey species. All of the lures above caught fish on the same day and on the day that followed. That's all I needed to know because I lean towards fish-motivation vs fish motives.

Pre and post front can make all the difference - especially around the spawn, not to say that post-cold front conditions in spring are to be avoided. Even when water temperatures drop to the upper 50's doesn't mean fish slow down. Cold-blooded is as cold-blooded does, which is an advantage for fish when it comes to strikes or feeding activity. Being warm-blooded will probably keep me doing chores around the house until the chill wind dies down.

Last edited by SenkoSam; 05/11/21 01:23 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide