Crappie for dinner #13977503 04/28/21 06:33 PM
C
Capt. Mac Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
4/25/21

The wind was up. The kind of day that makes you think you should have stayed home and got some work done around the house. But, its Springtime in Texas and I was feeling that pull you get when the water temps are right and you know there are lots of fish in very shallow water and easy to get to with a fly rod. I had also made a mistake. Earlier in the day, as I was looking at the weather and trying to convince myself to go, I had mentioned to my wife that I thought I could catch some Crappie were a certain creek emptied out in the back of a cove. I don't fish for Crappie very often and usually don't have much success when I do but if do catch them, my wife insists that they be brought home and fried. Now, as I stood at the top of the boat ramp, watching the white capped rollers out in the channel, I decided I didn't want to make the long ride up to the spot where I thought I could find them. The forecast had said the wind would stay up through the evening which meant a long ride back, late in the day, straight into it. I felt like I had no chance at catching Crappie if I didn't go there but I just wasn't up for that beating so I the short ride across the channel to some protected coves, out of the wind. I figured I could, probably, catch a Black Bass or two, enjoy some sunshine, spend some time goofing around in my boat, maybe shoot some birds with my Nikon and call it a day. I made about three casts with a Clouser Minnow when the line went tight and I brought a dink Bass to the boat. At least I wasn't getting skunked today. Then I caught another Bass, this one a nice fish for me. I hadn't caught a Bass that size in a while and this one fought strong. It wasn't until I was watching it swim away that I weighed it. I would guess at between two and two and a half pounds. Not a big fish by any means but a good one for me. I ran to the back end of the next cove over where a small creek feeds in, kind of like the one I wanted to originally fish. There is a small cove just off the creek that had some grass and stick ups in it. It was a very pretty little spot and just smelled fishy. Not the physical smell, just the feel. I sent the clouser out, let it sink a little and as I picked up the slack to start stripping it in, there was already a fish on it. It felt like a pretty good fish. I was waiting for a Bass to clear the water in a splashy jump but the fish just rolled over on the surface. A big Black Crappie. I got it in the boat, hesitated about weather I should kill it or not, then decided that if there was one, surely there would be more. And there was. I put three more in the boat over the next thirty minutes. Not exactly a mess of fish but its just the wife and I so, with some side dishes - red beans, hush puppies, french fries, a salad, any or all, it was enough. I tried to catch one more for good measure before dark. The line went tight and I set up. If this was a Crappie its was going to be a very serious one. Turns out to be a Bass. I did remember to weigh this one - 2.38 pounds and 18 inches long. A good fish to end the day on. I sent my wife the important text message and headed back the ramp.
When my wife and I were dating I would tell her that I was bringing fish home for dinner and to have all the side dishes prepared and ready to cook when I was ready to put the fillets on the fire. She was always skeptical as to whether or not I would catch anything to eat and always asked that I call her and verify if I had upon leaving the lake. There were no cell phones back then so I would have to stop at a pay phone in the marina to "make the call." She didn't realize the only time of the year I did that was when I knew I could catch fish. But today I just got lucky and, with cell phones I no longer have to stop at a pay phone, I just sent a text message. The was simple and to the point. No explanation necessary. The message was "Crappie for dinner".

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: Crappie for dinner [Re: Capt. Mac] #13977700 04/28/21 09:11 PM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Nothing beats a fresh Crappie Dinner. Awesome post! thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Crappie for dinner [Re: Capt. Mac] #13977735 04/28/21 09:34 PM
Drycreek3189 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Good job ! thumb

Re: Crappie for dinner [Re: banker-always fishing] #13978147 04/29/21 02:00 AM
P
Pot licker Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by banker-always fishing
Nothing beast a fresh Crappie Dinner. Awesome post! thumb

Mmhhmmm! food

Texas Elite Angler 🎣
https://www.jiglyf.com
Re: Crappie for dinner [Re: Capt. Mac] #13978348 04/29/21 09:33 AM
S
SenkoSam Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Great post/ excellent detail - beautiful photos - VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!

Re: Crappie for dinner [Re: Capt. Mac] #13980872 04/30/21 09:17 PM
C
Capt. Mac Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
Thank you gentlemen!

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread