texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,888
Posts13,954,874
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Older Software Updates for Lowrance HDS Carbon #13968580 04/21/21 06:12 PM
TGL Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Howdy Folks,

I've been troubleshooting a problem on a Carbon unit (7") for a neighbor as I feel sort of responsible for him getting that unit after talking up how well I liked mine. I have three on my Ranger Aluminum. He bought this one used and it really has not functioned correctly from day 1. Its out of warranty and he is retired and upgrading to the Live unit would most likely result in marital issues...

I've logged over 3 hrs on phone with Lowrance troubleshooting so far and I know he has spent at least that amount of time himself. The problem presents itself upon starting first time at beginning of day (aka cold start). On first try, it usually ends up with screen freeze with the dark screen that has the HDS logo (prior to the legal-eze screen that you have to accept every time). Once it freezes, the only alternative is to disconnect power and try again. It may start up fine on second try, and sometimes it takes two or three tries. Once it goes through full boot-up it is good for rest of day pretty much. I've isolated any potential external causal factors by using a 12V bench tester power supply with good/constant 13.2 v power. No transducer or anything else connected. I've done a hard reset, downloaded and installed the latest software update and on a couple of occasions, there has been a black screen with popup that says "update failed". Went through the reset and reinstall of updates after each time. Two days ago, it made it to the legal-eze page but would not do anything when I tried pressing the accept button on the screen. So I decided to try using buttons. Hit the power button and the popup came up as normal and I could toggle using the arrow key, but the Settings Button was grayed out and would not let me select it ??? All this really points to software issue IMO.

So the reason for this Thread is to see if anyone has an earlier update file that I could get and try. Ideally, I'd like to start with a pre 18.1 update and see how unit functions. If it functions ok, then I would try the latest (20.1) and go from there.

Thanks

Re: Older Software Updates for Lowrance HDS Carbon [Re: TGL] #13968811 04/21/21 08:17 PM
Rob Jasper Lowrance Pro-Staff Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Have you tried this. Back-up all Waypoints, then not only Delete all Way-Points on the unit, but PURGE them as well. Do not back up any settings. After the purge, you can re-load Way Points. This will make sure there is not something corrupt in this area causing an issue.

Rob Jasper
Re: Older Software Updates for Lowrance HDS Carbon [Re: Rob Jasper Lowrance Pro-Staff] #13968830 04/21/21 08:27 PM
TGL Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Hey Rob !!
I'm the guy that called you a couple of weeks asking about the software updates. To answer your question, all the info (waypoints, etc.) were backed up. But instead of uploading, he has manually entered (according to what he told me on Monday). I've got the unit at home now but I'm in Houston for next few days. When I return, I plan to use a fresh new Micro SD card, do a hard reset , update to 20.1 then check the free memory on the unit.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide