Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Wind Wind Go Away A Little Anyway. #13961029 04/15/21 01:15 PM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
I know in a couple months we are going to be praying for a breath of wind to blow but can we just get a break from the 20 to 30 every single day?! I like a good 5 to 10 mph day out of the south, good cloud cover, is that too much to ask? This stuff of slamming into waves and bouncing all the fillings out of my teeth is getting old. Just a good wind to drift on with a sock out. It seems to me this spring has been unusually windy. The winds of March have been extended into April. They need to go home! Saturday forecast is for 20 mph out of the North gusting to 25. I'll be out there. My wing man Wyatt will be with me. I hope we get some of the rain they're talking about. If we do, that might help offset the North wind if we have fresh water coming into the coves. I hope everybody gets a toad or two this weekend. Tight lines y'all...

Catfish Tim
๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ"If it doesn't have whiskers, it's just bait"๐ŸŸ๐ŸŸ
Romans 8:1

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Wind Wind Go Away A Little Anyway. [Re: Catfish Tim] #13961190 04/15/21 03:00 PM
๐Ÿ€El Gato Azul๐Ÿ€ Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Sure makes it hard to fish shallow but the wind is your friend when drifting Tim. Most of my best trips have involved some stiff wind and a little rain. Catch rate usually sky rockets as the wind speed increases. We fish in sustained winds of 25 mph no problem but anything over that is difficult to hit your lines and you end up fighting the boat more than the fish. Getting bait also becomes increasingly difficult as well. Iโ€™m often the only boat on the lake on windy or stormy days so I realize Iโ€™m in the minority on this but over time Iโ€™ve come to love that big wind and rollers. Itโ€™s more work but the reward is often high. I think all those waves crashing super oxygenates the water and every fish in the lake seems to turn on.

Here are a few things I do when Iโ€™m fishing high wind and rollers. You probably already do some of these things but if you donโ€™t then it will be at your advantage to start.
#1 thing about drifting in high wind is you gotta run everything out the back of the boat. This will decrease your silhouette and lessen your wind drag helping to slow you down. Itโ€™s also a much more stable platform to fish out of since the boat wonโ€™t be pitching side to side with every wave that rolls by. That pitching will wear you out. If youโ€™ll fish out the back, at the end of the day you wonโ€™t be so beat to death from all the rocking and pitching. Also helps to have a fully loaded boat and a full fuel tank. Last but not least it helps to know all the simi-protected areas of your lake that hold fish for all wind directions and try and plan your attack so that you donโ€™t have to make long runs across open water. Hope this helps amigo!

There is a fine line between fishing and floating around like an idiot!!
texas Check out out my YouTube channel El Gato Azul TV texas
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0aV-uOxzxKxeqFFfREzKg
โš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธ Home of little boys holding big catfish! โš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธ
Re: Wind Wind Go Away A Little Anyway. [Re: Catfish Tim] #13961205 04/15/21 03:06 PM
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
My weather app says 10-15 mph wind Saturday and Sunday so thatโ€™s about as pleasant a drifting wind as a man could ask for...the cooling effect and the north wind is definitely going to change things from last week though. Gonna have to get on that graph and hound dog em cuz I imagine they will be a long ways from where I found em last.

Last edited by ๐ŸŒŠEl Gato Azul๐ŸŒŠ; 04/15/21 03:17 PM.

โš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธ Home of little boys holding big catfish! โš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธโš“๏ธ
Re: Wind Wind Go Away A Little Anyway. [Re: Catfish Tim] #13961451 04/15/21 05:52 PM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Chris I checked my NWS forecast against Weather Underground. NWS says winds around 15 gusting to 25. WU says 10 to 20. I guess they are about the same. the wind is one element of the forecast that I see change a lot. I don't think they can forecast that out too far. Let me say this, I think you are right about the oxygenation of the water going up the more the wind blows. The worse the weather the better because as you say, it keeps the knuckleheads off the water. The jet skiers are already wreaking havoc on Lavon. I also think you are spot on about fishing out of the back of the boat. I normally do that anyway sort of... I run six rods with the rod holders on the versatrack rail on each side on the aft 3 or 4 feet of the boat. I haven't considered the load on the boat. I will fill the live well and see what that does to help slow me down. I do have spots I fish for different wind directions, not necessarily wind conditions. This gives me a lot to think about though as far as where I want to start working Saturday. My last few times out have been short and fast. I am hoping Saturday I can spend a little more time on the water.

As always thanks for the advice brother. I really appreciate it!

Catfish Tim

Re: Wind Wind Go Away A Little Anyway. [Re: Catfish Tim] #13962068 04/16/21 02:14 AM
Z
z289sec Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Z
My boat is a billboard sign, I need a Redneck Boat Brake to fish in anything over 15 mph

Re: Wind Wind Go Away A Little Anyway. [Re: Catfish Tim] #13962094 04/16/21 02:33 AM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
What else can you say. It's texas

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Wind Wind Go Away A Little Anyway. [Re: Catfish Tim] #13962272 04/16/21 12:05 PM
H
HonkyVoodooFishing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
Windfinder - [Linked Image]

Instagram @honkyvoodoofishing
Re: Wind Wind Go Away A Little Anyway. [Re: z289sec] #13962297 04/16/21 12:22 PM
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted by z289sec
My boat is a billboard sign, I need a Redneck Boat Brake to fish in anything over 15 mph

Get you 2 or 3 of these 78โ€ socks Z. They will slow down your billboard I guarantee.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cabelas-Advanced-Anglers-Pro-Series-Drift-Sock-/202998019044

Last edited by ๐ŸŒŠEl Gato Azul๐ŸŒŠ; 04/16/21 12:26 PM.

Re: Wind Wind Go Away A Little Anyway. [Re: Catfish Tim] #13962323 04/16/21 12:44 PM
Catfish Tim Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
That Windfinder looks like a useful site. Thanks for sharing...

Catfish Tim

Re: Wind Wind Go Away A Little Anyway. [Re: ๐Ÿ€El Gato Azul๐Ÿ€] #13963786 04/17/21 01:10 PM
Z
z289sec Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Z
Originally Posted by ๐ŸŒŠEl Gato Azul๐ŸŒŠ
Originally Posted by z289sec

Get you 2 or 3 of these 78โ€ socks Z. They will slow down your billboard I guarantee.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cabelas-Advanced-Anglers-Pro-Series-Drift-Sock-/202998019044

I got 2 54's. It works for summer, but to get down below .5 mph, I'd need a third or fourth one. Maybe I can get a big one in the center, and the two 54's on the outside.

Re: Wind Wind Go Away A Little Anyway. [Re: Catfish Tim] #13963881 04/17/21 02:11 PM
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
The 54s are undersized for your boat Z. The 78s will help you out considerably I guarantee. I fished out of a pontoon back in the 2000s and the blue Lindy 54s couldnโ€™t slow me down enough once the wind got over 10 mph. Another thing that might help you out is lengthening the harness on your socks. pontoon boats can produce a kind of dead zone draft wash behind the boat making drift socks less effective. The longer harness gets the sock out of that dead zone and will slow you down a lot better.

Last edited by ๐ŸŒŠEl Gato Azul๐ŸŒŠ; 04/17/21 02:14 PM.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide