Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
todays generation #13956226 04/11/21 11:28 PM
B
bdotson Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
So I got a chance to go fishing this morning. Been wanting to go but just to busy. I made it to the lake this morning just after sunrise. It was 49 degrees and a slight fog was lifting off the lake. Not to many folks at the lake yet, however there was one young man down by the boat ramp fishing from the bank. I got my stuff ready and backed my boat in the water, got in the boat fired it up and backed off the trailer. I beached my boat beside the pier and went and parked my truck. As I walked back to my boat I asked the young man if he was having any luck? He replied yes he had caught two already and had just gotten there but now his reel was messed up and he was having trouble fishing with it. I hopped in my boat and pulled away thinking about the young guy and his bad luck. I have been blessed beyond measure and have around ten rod and reels in my boat. as I idled away I opened my rod box pulled out a spinning rod and reel, did a u turn and drove back to the ramp. I handed to the guy and told him here use this one it works well. If you leave before I come back just put it in the back of my truck. He thanked me and I drove away again feeling pretty good about the chance to make someone have a better day. When I returned to the boat ramp about 5 hours later what do you think I found in the back of my truck?

Nothing my rod and reel were gone? Did he put it in my truck and someone else took it? I will never know. What has happend to people today. I was shocked

Re: todays generation [Re: bdotson] #13956227 04/11/21 11:32 PM
C
crapyetr Online Sleepy
TFF Team Angler
Online Sleepy
TFF Team Angler
C
i think the Bible says somewhere that we should give not expecting anything in return...you were blessed by sharing...enjoy the blessings

MERCY - not receiving what you deserve
GRACE - receiving what you don't deserve
America's MESS = God's miracle fixes
I'd rather walk with God with no questions answered than to walk thru life without Him and know the answers
Re: todays generation [Re: bdotson] #13956230 04/11/21 11:34 PM
C
Coolarrow Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Your a good man for trying. The rest is up to them.

Re: todays generation [Re: bdotson] #13956284 04/12/21 12:30 AM
Drycreek3189 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I agree with the above, but it sure does leave a bad taste in one’s mouth.

Re: todays generation [Re: bdotson] #13956315 04/12/21 12:47 AM
J
jig master Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I would have gave him a rod and reel to keep in the beginning of the u turn and back. But now I’m not so sure I would do that after this read. JS

Last edited by jig master; 04/12/21 12:47 AM.

Don't believe everything you hear and half of what you see . Living for the Thump !!
Re: todays generation [Re: bdotson] #13956491 04/12/21 02:37 AM
L
Lazy Ike Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
fish I agree with cool arrow, i think you gave it your best shot with good intentions. I dont know what lake you were at, but i know some places can be, well, say sketchy. i dont doubt young man could have put your r&r in the truck like you wanted. But who kows what happened later?? You did a very good thing, you will be rewared in some way, iam sure.

Re: todays generation [Re: crapyetr] #13956507 04/12/21 02:50 AM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Originally Posted by crapyetr
i think the Bible says somewhere that we should give not expecting anything in return...you were blessed by sharing...enjoy the blessings

Plus #1. Your heart was in the right place. Pray for the young man you gave the rod and reel to and for who ever took it . The good Lord will deal with the one who took it. angel2

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: todays generation [Re: banker-always fishing] #13956588 04/12/21 03:58 AM
T
TreeBass Offline
Lt. Dan
Lt. Dan
T
Originally Posted by banker-always fishing
Originally Posted by crapyetr

Plus #1. Your heart was in the right place. Pray for the young man you gave the rod and reel to and for who ever took it . The good Lord will deal with the one who took it. angel2

^^ this right here sums it up. Great job on listening to your heart, He may have placed you at the right place and time to enlighten another soul.

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others

Sure-Life Products
Dobyns Rods
Holding The Line Guide Service
www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Re: todays generation [Re: bdotson] #13956936 04/12/21 02:35 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
you acknowledge u are blessed immensely, yet you provide a gesture of good will, WITH CONDITIONS. This is not the best way you could have done it. you are responsible for the outcome because you created the situation. Had you just given the kid the rod and reel, you would have a full heart , with no regrets. you felt good abt it for a short time, and now its eating at you. Look at the other effects of the situation, the kid will be leary to go fish that lake again, worrying u will show up, demanding your rod back. So the outcome of your actions generated a negative effect for both of you.. Had you just given the kid the rod and reel, he would have likely never forgot it, and made his week.
There once was an old man who lived in the swamp. He lived amongst the alligator, snakes and mosquitos. The old man made his living by catching fish in hoop nets. One day the old man went to check his nets,. and found two young men checking his nets.
As the man pulled up to thier boat, they saw his shotgun laying in the floor of the boat. They were terrified.
The old man explained to them that they were his nets, and that is how he made his living, a very scarce living.
The old man told them, if they wanted some fish, he would give them some fish. He started throwing fish im thier boat, and they told him that the fish he gave them was all they needed.. The old man said OOHH NO,, you know how it is when u have a fish fry, they start coming out of the woodwork, just like cats near a seafood store . So the old man gave them even more fish.,.. once he had given them the fish, he told them, look, if you ever need fish because you are hungry, come knock on my door, and I will give u some fish, but plz never steal them from me.
Those kids learned a very important lesson that day, and never messed with the old mans fish nets again.
Listen, if you will forgive the debt you feel the kid owes you, I will pay you for the rod and reel you loss.
Pm me your name and address if you want and I will send you a check.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: todays generation [Re: bdotson] #13956995 04/12/21 03:08 PM
H
HOGON Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
Leanin Post makes some good points.

The individual could have done exactly as you asked and placed the rod in your truck.
Someone else could have come along and made off with it.

Or he simply could have taken off with it which is also a possibility.

No way to know 100% for sure unless you actually caught him using the rod and reel sometime in the future.

Thank you for sharing.

ACC CRAPPIE STIX
BONEHEAD TACKLE
LEWS REELS
PEPOPS JIGS
FEARLESS JIGS
BUBBAS BAITS
MAD CRAPPIE JIGS
DANS JIGS
CRAZY ANGLER TACKLE
THERMOCLINE LURES
CONSTANT PURSUIT OUTFITTERS
MR CRAPPIE
POWER PRO SUPER SLICK BRAID
BERKLEY VANISH GOLD/TRANSITION
LIFT SAVER TROLLING MOTOR MOUNT
SHUT UP AND FISH
SLAB SYNDICATE JIGS
THUMPER ELITE OUTFITTERS
Re: todays generation [Re: bdotson] #13957019 04/12/21 03:25 PM
C
cbell Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
You did nothing wrong. You are not responsible for what other peoples actions. You are not responsible if he chooses not to come back and fish the boat ramp because of what he did. Did he agree to put the rod and reel in the back of your truck? if he did agree then it's on him. Someone else could have took it. Yes. I have been putting my motor tote in the back of my truck for 30 years. someone finally stole it last year. It is ok to put a gesture of good will with conditions. God Bless You

Cbell
Re: todays generation [Re: bdotson] #13957038 04/12/21 03:35 PM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Has nothing to do with this generation (I am sure I fall into that category) and everything to do with the parents (Who are probably closer to your generation) and how they raised him. Feel like this post should be about this young man and now about a whole generation JMO. You can't trust people period these days. No matter the age or what generation...

Last edited by fishin'aholic2; 04/12/21 03:36 PM.
Re: todays generation [Re: leanin post] #13957050 04/12/21 03:40 PM
B
bdotson Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted by leanin post
you acknowledge u are blessed immensely, yet you provide a gesture of good will, WITH CONDITIONS. This is not the best way you could have done it. you are responsible for the outcome because you created the situation. Had you just given the kid the rod and reel, you would have a full heart , with no regrets. you felt good abt it for a short time, and now its eating at you. Look at the other effects of the situation, the kid will be leary to go fish that lake again, worrying u will show up, demanding your rod back.needed..

I did not think it was possible to turn this story around and make me the bad guy.. But I guess I was wrong about that too, I stand corrected. And by the way its not eating at me. I simply wanted to show what todays generation is capable of. Also I don't need your money.

Just a side note here mr lean tree your wrong on this one

Last edited by bdotson; 04/12/21 03:54 PM.
Re: todays generation [Re: cbell] #13957058 04/12/21 03:43 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted by cbell
You did nothing wrong. You are not responsible for what other peoples actions. You are not responsible if he chooses not to come back and fish the boat ramp because of what he did. Did he agree to put the rod and reel in the back of your truck? if he did agree then it's on him. Someone else could have took it. Yes. I have been putting my motor tote in the back of my truck for 30 years. someone finally stole it last year. It is ok to put a gesture of good will with conditions. God Bless You

sir you cannot hold a child responsible to make adult decisions, its like giving a kid a candy bar, and telling them to eat half, and put the rest in the fridge for you later,,,
Also being he told the kid to put it in the bed of his truck, was another potential situation the HE created,.,. so if the kid put it back and it got swiped, once again, it was because of his directives. Now, even if he sees the kid somewhere, there will always be doubt.
This is why kids cant drive, drink, vote, or go to jail.. we all made really dumb decisions as kids.
If I saw the kid again, I would ask him if he needed another rod and reel. you really always need a back up in case one breaks right,?
LIKE 10 in your boat? I would also see if he needs some tackle. ANYTHING TO KEEP THAT KID OFF THE STREETS AND ON THE CREEKS. . like old mr charlie Pack used to say.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: todays generation [Re: bdotson] #13957071 04/12/21 03:55 PM
B
bdotson Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
Right don't hold em responsible and give em all a trophy too

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread