Forums59
Topics1,039,231
Posts13,961,278
Members144,196
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: THE OFFICE MAY BE IN TROUBLE.... [Re: ERNEST PATY] #13948194 04/05/21 05:49 PM
B
Budlitego Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Sorry to hear.

Re: THE OFFICE MAY BE IN TROUBLE.... [Re: ERNEST PATY] #13949439 04/06/21 04:26 PM
L
leanin post Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Playing devils advocate here..
from a business point of view, I dont see how a person can feel wronged in this situation.
You rented a slip for your own personal use.. I think the reason for renting a slip is for a place to store your boat, and fish from your slip if you so choose,., If you are a guide, you load people on your boat, and then take them out fishing on the lake,.
what you did was created a micro business inside of your lease. You subleased out the entire marina , to others so you can generate money. so in essence you got a free slip, free fishing over the whole marina, and made money on top of that. You did not lease the entire marina.
If it was written in your lease that you were allowed to use the entire marina for your own private business enterprizing and as a lease holder invite as many "clients" as you liked, gave them the gate code, charged them a fee, and profited from those fees, then I stand corrected, but highly doubt that is the case.. Just my opinion.
I think u had a good thing going, I recall u saying you gave the woman who ran it plenty of crappie. Maybe have a fish fry and give the new owner some fried crappie.,., if that doesnt do it, break out the crappie crabbie patties.,., ha
Hopefully u can get your Office back to normal. I know u werent doing it for the money, likely just companionship.
alot of folks dont like to go on boats, so it gives them a good opportunity to fish safely and with a master.

Last edited by leanin post; 04/06/21 04:41 PM.

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: THE OFFICE MAY BE IN TROUBLE.... [Re: ERNEST PATY] #13949758 04/06/21 07:49 PM
K
KidKrappie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
I did the same thing that Ernest did at a grapevine marina a few years back and I can assure you I did not make any money. I only wanted to make it more affordable to have access to the marina to fish. A few buddies joined and we kept everyone informed on how the bite was and what slips produced.

Re: THE OFFICE MAY BE IN TROUBLE.... [Re: ERNEST PATY] #13950725 04/07/21 01:43 PM
B
badgrandad Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Maybe you can talk them into turning a part of the dock into a fishing house that allows you to have a big “ office” and yet the other slips will be inaccessible

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!
Re: THE OFFICE MAY BE IN TROUBLE.... [Re: ERNEST PATY] #13953749 04/09/21 03:23 PM
J
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
IMHO, the whole office thing is wrong. If I rented a slip, I would not want someone renting out 'leases' for
uncontrolled persons to have access to my slip.

Re: THE OFFICE MAY BE IN TROUBLE.... [Re: ERNEST PATY] #13955657 04/11/21 12:54 PM
L
Longeye Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
I am on a slip in Cottonwood. Similar things are occurring (fish missing, minnows missing, etc.). Mgmt do not like fisherman. They have even threatened cutting all strings that are hanging down. And yes, there are people (that pay with a card) that will go out there and fish in every damn slip they see fit to (which I think is bs). Almost everything you listed is actually common sense that people should already be doing. As usual, a few stupid knuckleheads f it up for everybody. I don’t know if u are, but if your running a guide service out there and letting people in the Marina that u don’t know, I’m not so sure I agree with that..

Re: THE OFFICE MAY BE IN TROUBLE.... [Re: ERNEST PATY] #13955842 04/11/21 04:02 PM
R
RiverBanks Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I was surprised when I first heard about the "office" that the marina allowed it. The marinas I have used have always restricted the number of people who could be on a lease and required a leaseholder to be on the slip when visitors or friends fished the slip. All of them had restrictions on operating a business from the marina slip. I don't think it is a matter of marina management not liking fishermen, I think it is a matter of marina management wanting fishermen to respect the rights of other slip holders.

My current marina restricts the number of individuals on a lease to four and requires a leaseholder to be on the slip when friends are at the slip. It prohibits a business from operating out of the slips, requires that 50% of a slip be open water (no decking) and a boat must be kept in the slip. It also restricts slip holders to only fish their slips, which everybody ignores.

rant: Since this rule is ignored you find people fishing your slip anytime you go to the slip. This year I have had several people tell me that "my name" had given them permission to fish my slip. I told each of them that "my name" had not given them permission to fish my slip since I was "my name" and had never seen them before. I don't mind other slip holders fishing my slips as long as they do not touch my equipment and do not leave me a mess to clean up. But I don't want them fishing my slips when I am there fishing them and I certainly don't want all their friends fishing my slips when they are not with them. I often must tell people to leave my slips when they walk onto my decks and start fishing while I am there fishing them.

Sadly, you often find trash in your slip and in your boat, missing gear, broken gear where somebody used your gear and broke it, your boat tied to one side of the slip where somebody untied it and moved it to the side so they would have more fishing room in your slip,etc. One friend had to cut a trapdoor into his deck so he could lock up his minnows and fish basket when he was not there. People were stealing his fish and minnows on a regular basis. /:rant

Sadly, there are always a few who do not show good manners when fishing slips they do not lease. This causes problems that result in more restrictions on those who do not create a problem.

Re: THE OFFICE MAY BE IN TROUBLE.... [Re: Longeye] #13955863 04/11/21 04:20 PM
J
Jeff Schiller Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Originally Posted by Longeye
I am on a slip in Cottonwood. Similar things are occurring (fish missing, minnows missing, etc.). Mgmt do not like fisherman. They have even threatened cutting all strings that are hanging down. And yes, there are people (that pay with a card) that will go out there and fish in every damn slip they see fit to (which I think is bs). Almost everything you listed is actually common sense that people should already be doing. As usual, a few stupid knuckleheads f it up for everybody. I don’t know if u are, but if your running a guide service out there and letting people in the Marina that u don’t know, I’m not so sure I agree with that..

We just put our boat in Cottonwood. What slip are you in? grin
I kid. I kid.

Our lease was very specific about not dropping fish attractors and only fishing your slip.

Re: THE OFFICE MAY BE IN TROUBLE.... [Re: Jeff Schiller] #13955960 04/11/21 06:28 PM
L
Longeye Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
Originally Posted by Jeff Schiller
Originally Posted by Longeye

We just put our boat in Cottonwood. What slip are you in? grin
I kid. I kid.

Our lease was very specific about not dropping fish attractors and only fishing your slip.

I don’t know what is down there, this is my first yr there.

Re: THE OFFICE MAY BE IN TROUBLE.... [Re: ERNEST PATY] #13956023 04/11/21 07:18 PM
B
Buzzard Breath Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
If it's the same folks that run Scott's Landing then yep, they don't like fishing slips. They ran us off after a few years.

DON'T LITTER!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide