Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Bastrop 3/21/21 [Re: J-Moe] #13935827 03/25/21 01:11 PM
B
BayouFennec Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
yes J_Moe. those coves are on the north east part of the lake. north shore launch is the easiest access to them with a kayak.

Re: Bastrop 3/21/21 [Re: Dominoman] #13935903 03/25/21 01:57 PM
L
Liebers Dad Offline
Angler
Angler
L
Originally Posted by Dominoman
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Here's some old Lake Bastrop photos, one of them shows the old fishing barge on the north shore. These were back in the late 60's to early 70's when you could still run jug lines on there. IN '74 my parents and I lived on the north shore, my Dad ran the store there. We lived in a single wide trailer that was right next to the boat ramp, where the pavilion is now.

Those ar AMAZING and I am going to copy to send to my dad. I am CERTAIN we have met at this point. WE camped at south shore almost every weekend and ventured all over the lake!

I didn't lose him at the boat. I shook him off cause I didn't want my hands to get "fishy"
Re: Bastrop 3/21/21 [Re: Rayzor] #13935917 03/25/21 02:04 PM
L
Liebers Dad Offline
Angler
Angler
L
Originally Posted by Rayzor
My Wife and I fish Bastrop on a regular basis. There are some things that I have noticed about this lake but they are just my view points.

1) I rarely, if ever, see any panfish. My Wife has a real knack for catching them while we are bass fishing. She have NEVER caught one and neither have I.
2) Bass do not seem to hold to wood structure. I don't fish Boy Scout cove, which is full of tree stumps, because it is just a waste of time for us. One the main lake, there is a tree overhanging a deep pocket that I throw a crank bait at every time we fish. In 12 year, I have yet to catch a single fish. There are plenty of stumps in Cedar Cove; nothing, ever.
3) I don't waste my time in the creeks. I never catch any fish there, I don't go.
4) If there is a decent catfish population, I have yet to catch one. I ALWAYS catch a catfish.
5) I can count on one hand how many fish I have caught on top water and have four fingers left over. I don't do top water on Bastrop.
6) Bastrop is an eel grass lake. Find the grass, fish the grass, catch the bass. (Hey, that rhymes!)

JMO!

1) I rarely, if ever, see any panfish. My Wife has a real knack for catching them while we are bass fishing. She have NEVER caught one and neither have I.
I HAVEN'T SEEN MUCH LATELY EITHER

2) Bass do not seem to hold to wood structure. I don't fish Boy Scout cove, which is full of tree stumps, because it is just a waste of time for us. One the main lake, there is a tree overhanging a deep pocket that I throw a crank bait at every time we fish. In 12 year, I have yet to catch a single fish. There are plenty of stumps in Cedar Cove; nothing, ever
THEY DO, BUT NOT A LOT OF FISH AND NOT ALWAYS

3) I don't waste my time in the creeks. I never catch any fish there, I don't go.
THEY ARE THERE AT CERTAIN TIMES OF THE YEAR, BUT NOT DEEP IN THE BACK OF THE CREEKS - I THINK THIS MIGHT BE BECAUSE THERE SIMPLY ISNT A LOT OF FRESH WATER THAT COMES IN FROM THOSE CREEKS EXCEPT AFTER A BIG RAIN

4) If there is a decent catfish population, I have yet to catch one. I ALWAYS catch a catfish.
YOU GOTTA KNOW WHERE THEY ARE, BUT THEY ARE THERE AND THEY ARE TASTY!

5) I can count on one hand how many fish I have caught on top water and have four fingers left over. I don't do top water on Bastrop.
TIME OF YEAR IS KEY, BUT TOPWATER BITE IS A LOT OF FUN AT BASTROP

6) Bastrop is an eel grass lake. Find the grass, fish the grass, catch the bass. (Hey, that rhymes!)
YOU ARE CORRECT AND BEFORE THE EEL GRASS TOOK OVER (WHEN YDRILLA ISNT TOO THICK) THERE WAS A LOT OF DUCK WEED. ALSO MANY MOONS AGO EEL GRASS WAS ONLY FOUND IN SMALL PATCHES AND YOU COULD ALWAYS PULL A BIG BASS OF OF IT.

I didn't lose him at the boat. I shook him off cause I didn't want my hands to get "fishy"
Re: Bastrop 3/21/21 [Re: CarlB] #13936116 03/25/21 04:25 PM
H
Hookem Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
H
There is still plenty of BGs. Just wait for the grass to emerge in late summer and look for herons/egrets. They be hunting them from the matted grass.

We used to catch bunches of fish in the coves. We would look for gangs of 5-6 bass roaming shallow outside of spawn time. You could also scope out individual bass (pre-grass) on any flat around the lake. Just looked for dark spots on a sandy flat and Boom! Rocky shorelines used to be key but the reeds/eel grass consumed almost all of the shorelines now. Only reeds on the lake for forever was a clump right of the dam and the old water intake about center along the dam. we have found that the key to fishing grass was to look for where eel and hydrilla grow close together or eel and naiad are together. Lake has a bunch of kayakers now and think that was what spooked the coves along with the coves not being as deep as they used to be due to sediment filling them up. Good news is that the undercuts along the shorelines in coves are underwater.

Anywhere you can find pepper grass, you will find fish. We know of 5 spots with pepper grass,

Have caught plenty of catfish on a spinnerbait just not this year......... Yet !

Re: Bastrop 3/21/21 [Re: Hookem] #13936872 03/26/21 01:27 AM
R
Rayzor Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R
Originally Posted by Hookem
There is still plenty of BGs. Just wait for the grass to emerge in late summer and look for herons/egrets. They be hunting them from the matted grass.

We used to catch bunches of fish in the coves. We would look for gangs of 5-6 bass roaming shallow outside of spawn time. You could also scope out individual bass (pre-grass) on any flat around the lake. Just looked for dark spots on a sandy flat and Boom! Rocky shorelines used to be key but the reeds/eel grass consumed almost all of the shorelines now. Only reeds on the lake for forever was a clump right of the dam and the old water intake about center along the dam. we have found that the key to fishing grass was to look for where eel and hydrilla grow close together or eel and naiad are together. Lake has a bunch of kayakers now and think that was what spooked the coves along with the coves not being as deep as they used to be due to sediment filling them up. Good news is that the undercuts along the shorelines in coves are underwater.

Anywhere you can find pepper grass, you will find fish. We know of 5 spots with pepper grass,

Have caught plenty of catfish on a spinnerbait just not this year......... Yet !

The panfish must be in stealth mode, because I rarely see any. To me, that's just weird. I would have said that I never catch any fish on pepper grass but I actually caught a few this year around it. I would like to amend my "find the eel grass, find the fish." I move around the lake fishing the eel grass but sometimes there here, next time they're not.

Be safe,
Rayzor
[Linked Image]
2001 Triton Tx-21/225 Mercury EFI
Re: Bastrop 3/21/21 [Re: CarlB] #13937977 03/27/21 12:43 AM
Minner Bucket Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Dink lake but if struggling on other lakes, a confidence builder lake. When the grass is thick and matted, really fun punching, lots of bites!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide