Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Cabelas refusing to give my boat #13915933 03/09/21 07:52 AM
J
Jack Enidus Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
I bought a brand new boat from Cabelas in North Fort Worth last year. I own the boat outright and hold the title for the boat, motor, and trailer. 13 weeks ago, I dropped the boat off for repairs to be performed on issues that existed before I received the boat. I informed Cabelas staff that I was a year around fisherman and wanted my boat back as soon as possible, and they assured me that it would take 2 - 3 weeks at most. The repairs under warranty took them 10 weeks to perform. Now that the repairs have been done, they still will not return my boat to me because there is a recall notice for the Coast Guard sticker on the boat. 2 weeks ago I was told that the new sticker would be arriving within a couple of days. I called yesterday asking why I haven't heard from them and was told that they are still waiting on the decal. I said I don't care about the sticker, and that I just want my boat back so i can use it for spring break next week. The person I was talking to handed me off to the manager of their boat service department who rudely informed me that he was unable to release MY BOAT to me until the recalled and updated decal had been received from the state and installed on the boat.I pointed out that it was MY BOAT that I own free and clear and I want it now, updated decal or not, and he said that he is unable to legally give it back to me.

I explained to the manager yesterday that he told me two weeks ago that I'd get my boat back in a couple days and that he's basically telling me the same thing again. Every-time I've spoken to staff at this Cabelas they have blown a ton of smoke up my [censored] and none of the timelines they guess have proven true. Does anyone have any advice for me? I've been fishing for the last 3 months out of my kayak and from the bank, but I want my damned boat back. I've thought about just driving up there with my titles in hand and demanding it and if they refuse, then calling the police and having an officer order them to give it to me. Surely a police officer would side with me if I'm the one holding papers showing ownership of property that a company is refusing to relinquish to me.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. The issues I originally gave Cabelas my boat to repair were purely cosmetic and in hindsight I never would have given them my craft if I knew they were going to drag their feet this long on the thing.

Last edited by Jack Enidus; 03/09/21 07:53 AM.
Re: Cabelas refusing to give my boat [Re: Jack Enidus] #13915940 03/09/21 10:13 AM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
something sounds bad wrong about that, the sticker is not a legally binding document but more a suggestion and cya for the mfr.

you can not be ticketed for overpowering if you put a 250 on one rated for a 200, the max. capacity is by weight and even if you have 2 too many people in it as long as you have lifejackets for everyone there is nothing that can be done legally.

were it me, I would do like you said, photocopies of titles in hand, go to the store and get the overall mgr. not just the boats guy and demand the boat back. tell them you will bring it in when the sticker comes and till then you expect to use the boat you bought. if they don't release it, walk out to your vehicle and call it in as a theft.

plan b is go in and demand your money back under the lemon law, let them know if you have to get a lawyer involved it will not end well for cabelas/bass pro when you sue for mental duress, loss of use, money lost due to trips made etc.
don't blow smoke up their backside but don't back down either.

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999
FJB! not my president by a long shot!

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA/reservations - 903 474 7479
Re: Cabelas refusing to give my boat [Re: Jack Enidus] #13915941 03/09/21 10:14 AM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
I am more curious as to what boat it is that got a bad sticker, that is super rare since there is a cg formula for figuring them.

also which cabelas is this?

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999

Re: Cabelas refusing to give my boat [Re: hopalong] #13915958 03/09/21 11:16 AM
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by hopalong
something sounds bad wrong about that, the sticker is not a legally binding document but more a suggestion and cya for the mfr.

you can not be ticketed for overpowering if you put a 250 on one rated for a 200, the max. capacity is by weight and even if you have 2 too many people in it as long as you have lifejackets for everyone there is nothing that can be done legally.

were it me, I would do like you said, photocopies of titles in hand, go to the store and get the overall mgr. not just the boats guy and demand the boat back. tell them you will bring it in when the sticker comes and till then you expect to use the boat you bought. if they don't release it, walk out to your vehicle and call it in as a theft.

plan b is go in and demand your money back under the lemon law, let them know if you have to get a lawyer involved it will not end well for cabelas/bass pro when you sue for mental duress, loss of use, money lost due to trips made etc.

Lemon Laws don't apply to boats.

Re: Cabelas refusing to give my boat [Re: Jack Enidus] #13916005 03/09/21 12:49 PM
P
Pat Goff Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
P
I was in the business, saw a lot of shifty stuff happen.

I can guarantee you one thing, it's not about a sticker.

Call the manufacturer and ask about the warranty repairs and ask about the sticker, and find out what's really going on.

Pat Goff
Seadrift TX
[Linked Image]
Re: Cabelas refusing to give my boat [Re: Jack Enidus] #13916013 03/09/21 12:56 PM
F
FlyFX Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Maybe the manufacturer can help. That sticker has to come from somewhere. Mfg puts it on before it leaves the factory.
Call the Game Warden or TPWD.

From the Coast Guard Knowledge Base

Capacity Plate Requirement On Boats
Posted by on 23 March 2016 01:30 PM
Q: What is the requirement for boats to have capacity plates? Where can I get a plate if I need one?

A: Under the U.S. Coast Guard Federal Boat Safety Act of 1971, monohull boats less than 20 feet, and built after October 31, 1972 must have a capacity label affixed. This is the responsibility of the manufacturer. Kayaks, sailboats, inflatables, and canoes are exempt from this requirement. While Federal Regulations do not prohibit the boat operator from exceeding these capacities, state law may prohibit it. Check with your state’s boating authority.

Some states require one to be displayed, however they offer no avenue for boat owners who do not have a capacity label to get one. You can go back to the boat manufacturer to see if they can provide a plaque. If you can find a similar vessel such as yours, you can place this information on a 3X5 card, laminate it, and glue it inside the boat. The card would read:

U.S. Coast Maximum Capacities
X Persons or XXX Pounds,
X,XXX Pounds, persons, gear

Bottom line, check with your State Boating Law Administrator for the final say.

Source: DIR-Vd as of April 2016

Most people double haul so they can throw their mistakes further - Bernard "Lefty" Kreh - R.I.P.
Glass rod, click & pawl, ugly flies
Re: Cabelas refusing to give my boat [Re: Pat Goff] #13916053 03/09/21 01:22 PM
Tiltman Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Pat Goff

Call the manufacturer and ask about the warranty repairs and ask about the sticker, and find out what's really going on.

Wisdom...........there’s more to this

Re: Cabelas refusing to give my boat [Re: hopalong] #13916066 03/09/21 01:30 PM
S
Stump jumper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S

At one time in OK you could be ticketed for exceeding the HP on the sticker. Not sure how often it happened and law may not still be in effect. It would be easy to get around by just replacing the decals on the cowling. That would work with the GWs but maybe not insurance. As far as Cabelas is concerned it is time to run it up the food chain.

2200 Bay Champ/200 Mercury Optimax
2017 Tundra TSS 4x4 Crewmax 5.7L
Re: Cabelas refusing to give my boat [Re: FlyFX] #13916068 03/09/21 01:31 PM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Originally Posted by FlyFX
Maybe the manufacturer can help. That sticker has to come from somewhere. Mfg puts it on before it leaves the factory.
Call the Game Warden or TPWD.

From the Coast Guard Knowledge Base

Capacity Plate Requirement On Boats
Posted by on 23 March 2016 01:30 PM
Q: What is the requirement for boats to have capacity plates? Where can I get a plate if I need one?

A: Under the U.S. Coast Guard Federal Boat Safety Act of 1971, monohull boats less than 20 feet, and built after October 31, 1972 must have a capacity label affixed. This is the responsibility of the manufacturer. Kayaks, sailboats, inflatables, and canoes are exempt from this requirement. While Federal Regulations do not prohibit the boat operator from exceeding these capacities, state law may prohibit it. Check with your state’s boating authority.

Some states require one to be displayed, however they offer no avenue for boat owners who do not have a capacity label to get one. You can go back to the boat manufacturer to see if they can provide a plaque. If you can find a similar vessel such as yours, you can place this information on a 3X5 card, laminate it, and glue it inside the boat. The card would read:

U.S. Coast Maximum Capacities
X Persons or XXX Pounds,
X,XXX Pounds, persons, gear

Bottom line, check with your State Boating Law Administrator for the final say.

Source: DIR-Vd as of April 2016

you can order them here.

https://garzonstudio.com/boat/capacity-decal.html

https://outboarddecalset.com/capacity-decals/boat-capacity-decals.html

I have used this co. for other stickers, good to do business with imo

https://discontinueddecals.com/store/c/116-Boat-Capacity-Decals.aspx

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999

Re: Cabelas refusing to give my boat [Re: Tiltman] #13916073 03/09/21 01:33 PM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Originally Posted by Tiltman

agreed, I think he needs to get to the general manager of that cabelas and do what I posted.

almost sounds like there was some sort of damage done and they don't want him to even see the boat.

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999

Re: Cabelas refusing to give my boat [Re: Jack Enidus] #13916112 03/09/21 02:05 PM
P
Pat Goff Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
P
Didn't want to come straight out and say that, but I won't say it wasn't what I was thinking.

I would at least insist on laying an eyeball on it. Then your course of action will be much clearer.

Pat Goff
Seadrift TX
[Linked Image]
Re: Cabelas refusing to give my boat [Re: hopalong] #13916123 03/09/21 02:14 PM
J
Jack Enidus Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
I am more curious as to what boat it is that got a bad sticker, that is super rare since there is a cg formula for figuring them.

also which cabelas is this?

It's the North Fort Worth location. Boat is a Mako.

Re: Cabelas refusing to give my boat [Re: Jack Enidus] #13916272 03/09/21 03:32 PM
D
Dropshottin Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
If 2020 taught us anything, it is that if we go there with enough people, they will take notice.. so... TFF meeting at Cabelas?

Re: Cabelas refusing to give my boat [Re: Jack Enidus] #13916319 03/09/21 03:47 PM
Tin Star Cajun Offline
Angler
Angler
From a law enforcement perspective; if you go there and demand your boat and they refuse, call the police. Show the cops your title and tell them the store manager refuses to give you your property. I'm betting within minutes you will be towing your boat home. If they say it is a civil problem, ask to get a police supervisor involved so the street cop doesn't just blow you off. I'm also thinking they damaged it and are trying to fix it before you see it.
Good luck.

Last edited by Tin Star Cajun; 03/09/21 03:48 PM.

The only difference between a little girls scream and a warrior's battle cry is the direction your'e running!

[Linked Image]
Re: Cabelas refusing to give my boat [Re: hopalong] #13916537 03/09/21 05:51 PM
Tiltman Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted by Tiltman

agreed, I think he needs to get to the general manager of that cabelas and do what I posted.

almost sounds like there was some sort of damage done and they don't want him to even see the boat.

or something was "borrowed" off of it to finish up another boat .........

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide