Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Back into Fishing [Re: billynjuls] #13915786 03/09/21 02:26 AM
Y
yamaha runner Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Y
Bass fishing was the only sport on TV last spring so lots of people picked up the sport. New people don’t know much else except to go to the bank. Look at the shelves at Academy and Bass Pro. There isn’t a Strike King crankbait or Chatterbait these fish that live shallow haven’t seen on a daily basis. Get good electronics and get comfortable fishing off the bank. Also, buy baits from Tacklewarehouse or other online tackle distributors that not every weekend angler knows about.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Back into Fishing [Re: yamaha runner] #13915798 03/09/21 02:40 AM
billynjuls Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by yamaha runner
Bass fishing was the only sport on TV last spring so lots of people picked up the sport. New people don’t know much else except to go to the bank. Look at the shelves at Academy and Bass Pro. There isn’t a Strike King crankbait or Chatterbait these fish that live shallow haven’t seen on a daily basis. Get good electronics and get comfortable fishing off the bank. Also, buy baits from Tacklewarehouse or other online tackle distributors that not every weekend angler knows about.

I have great electronics. 2 Helix 10's at the bow with Mega 360 and Solix 12 and Helix 12 at the console. Only problem is this is the pre-spawn. 90% of the fish are ready or have already pulled up to the shallows. Now when it gets to summer, I'll be out deep. I agree with you though, the bank gets beat to death.

Re: Back into Fishing [Re: billynjuls] #13916131 03/09/21 02:16 PM
J
JC1965 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
I took about a 12 year break due to work demands, I had fished in a club and fished some opens and did okay, won a little money back in the day but when I stopped I did not even follow any fishing because I knew it would trigger my fishing addiction, I just started back when I moved to TX a year ago, got a boat this past June. I am trying to figure out the lakes here in the DFW area and it is different, I am looking forward to this spring.

Re: Back into Fishing [Re: billynjuls] #13916249 03/09/21 03:16 PM
P
prosise Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Don't sweat it. You are obviously a competitive guy like most people, and you built it up to be like the good ol'days. I can tell you that I never took a break from fishing, but I did take a 9 year break from the bass boat that sat in the garage. I moved to the DFW area in 2000 and fished Grapevine a couple times, and pretty much thought it was the dead sea.. A man I met last year said it best, you have to know exactly what rock to cast to. Just takes somebtime on a lake to start putting it all together. In that 9 year break from the boat, I did allot of fishing out of a canoe. I have allot of tackle, and really should not have to buy soft plastics for the remainder of my life, but the soft plastic variety changed as well. Senko's really changed the bite, and they work. I have been preaching to my son for years, most of the lures in basspro are made to catch the angler.. Things got flashier, more lifelike, and more expensive in the last 15 years. I am not buying a 15$ lure, I will buy the color and action I need.
I would recomend one thing, and this is what I would tell one of my good friends. So take it with a grain of salt. Go out and fish for the enjoyment, and to do something out fishing that is relaxing. I literally can worm fish the same rock pile for hours, and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. I absolutely love to kick back and feel the rocks, chunk rock, gravel, or stickups.. I can get into the zone, and stay there all day. If you don't settle down, slow down, and enjoy it you will move on. I have friends that are some of the best shooters in the world. Benchrest hall of fame shooters, and the like. They tell me they typically win before they ever start shooting. Its because of the passion, and confidence they have that they have fine tuned. Just go out "alone" and think about the pattern and what you think the fish might be doing.. With todays electronics you can see the fish you are going to target. When It gets tough for me, I pull out the spinning rod. Fish just cannot resist a finesse power worm on light line. Yea they might be dinks, but a dink is better than a goose egg.. Hang in there and you hopefully will get it. Fishing in general isn't for everyone. I think more boats were sold last year than ever. In about 1 more year you are going to see a whole lot oflow hour boats on the market. Reason why, exactly what your going thru..

BTW: need a change of pace for a day or so? I am on the sandbass up Denton Creek (upper creek of Grapevine). Report in sandbass forum.. Small lipless crankbait is kickin like karate.. wouldn't take bass boat up, im using my canoe with a 2hp suzuki.. That will give you a charge on the fishing batteries...

Many a day I come home and tell my wife I was just "practicing my casting".. That's the way it is sometimes.

Prosise

Re: Back into Fishing [Re: billynjuls] #13916982 03/10/21 01:25 AM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
Originally Posted by billynjuls
As you can see from my other posts, I've been struggling lately. I took a 5 year break from fishing due to traveling for business so much. Before I stopped, I had pretty good success and could compete in tournaments, find fish, have a good day fun fishing, etc. I have owned half a dozen bass boats since I started tournament fishing as a kid with my Dad. Own my own business now so I can go when I want. I never stop reading or watching fishing to learn more and more (part of my problem). I have solid mechanics, understand seasonal patterns, bait choices, have the best of everything, but I am struggling so bad it makes me want to quit again. Have any of you quit fishing for a long period of time and found it to be extremely difficult when you came back. I probably just need TOW, but when I ask about fishing a lake and everyone says it's fishing so good right now and I zero, I question my abilities. Anyone else gone through something similar? By the way, I'm 52 years old so I've been doing this for a long time. (I've been told I'm an overthinker, but I don't know how to stop).

Billy

You are just in a slump. Don't even think about giving up, that just causes you to loose confidence in yourself and your ability and you don't fish as well. Keep at it, fish hard and some day you will have a great day, either numbers or a big fish and that will boost your confidence again. I am 63 and have been fishing since I was 10 years old. Some days are good, some are great, some are bad but you just have to keep at it. You can do it, just have confidence in yourself and it will happen.

Re: Back into Fishing [Re: prosise] #13917126 03/10/21 03:20 AM
billynjuls Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by prosise
Don't sweat it. You are obviously a competitive guy like most people, and you built it up to be like the good ol'days. I can tell you that I never took a break from fishing, but I did take a 9 year break from the bass boat that sat in the garage. I moved to the DFW area in 2000 and fished Grapevine a couple times, and pretty much thought it was the dead sea.. A man I met last year said it best, you have to know exactly what rock to cast to. Just takes somebtime on a lake to start putting it all together. In that 9 year break from the boat, I did allot of fishing out of a canoe. I have allot of tackle, and really should not have to buy soft plastics for the remainder of my life, but the soft plastic variety changed as well. Senko's really changed the bite, and they work. I have been preaching to my son for years, most of the lures in basspro are made to catch the angler.. Things got flashier, more lifelike, and more expensive in the last 15 years. I am not buying a 15$ lure, I will buy the color and action I need.
I would recomend one thing, and this is what I would tell one of my good friends. So take it with a grain of salt. Go out and fish for the enjoyment, and to do something out fishing that is relaxing. I literally can worm fish the same rock pile for hours, and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. I absolutely love to kick back and feel the rocks, chunk rock, gravel, or stickups.. I can get into the zone, and stay there all day. If you don't settle down, slow down, and enjoy it you will move on. I have friends that are some of the best shooters in the world. Benchrest hall of fame shooters, and the like. They tell me they typically win before they ever start shooting. Its because of the passion, and confidence they have that they have fine tuned. Just go out "alone" and think about the pattern and what you think the fish might be doing.. With todays electronics you can see the fish you are going to target. When It gets tough for me, I pull out the spinning rod. Fish just cannot resist a finesse power worm on light line. Yea they might be dinks, but a dink is better than a goose egg.. Hang in there and you hopefully will get it. Fishing in general isn't for everyone. I think more boats were sold last year than ever. In about 1 more year you are going to see a whole lot oflow hour boats on the market. Reason why, exactly what your going thru..

BTW: need a change of pace for a day or so? I am on the sandbass up Denton Creek (upper creek of Grapevine). Report in sandbass forum.. Small lipless crankbait is kickin like karate.. wouldn't take bass boat up, im using my canoe with a 2hp suzuki.. That will give you a charge on the fishing batteries...

Many a day I come home and tell my wife I was just "practicing my casting".. That's the way it is sometimes.

Prosise

Thank you for putting it in perspective. I should just feel blessed that I can go outdoors and should enjoy it. I played all sports growing up so at 52 I still have that competitive fire and I hate sucking.

Re: Back into Fishing [Re: ezbassin] #13917129 03/10/21 03:24 AM
billynjuls Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by ezbassin
Originally Posted by billynjuls
As you can see from my other posts, I've been struggling lately. I took a 5 year break from fishing due to traveling for business so much. Before I stopped, I had pretty good success and could compete in tournaments, find fish, have a good day fun fishing, etc. I have owned half a dozen bass boats since I started tournament fishing as a kid with my Dad. Own my own business now so I can go when I want. I never stop reading or watching fishing to learn more and more (part of my problem). I have solid mechanics, understand seasonal patterns, bait choices, have the best of everything, but I am struggling so bad it makes me want to quit again. Have any of you quit fishing for a long period of time and found it to be extremely difficult when you came back. I probably just need TOW, but when I ask about fishing a lake and everyone says it's fishing so good right now and I zero, I question my abilities. Anyone else gone through something similar? By the way, I'm 52 years old so I've been doing this for a long time. (I've been told I'm an overthinker, but I don't know how to stop).

Billy

You are just in a slump. Don't even think about giving up, that just causes you to loose confidence in yourself and your ability and you don't fish as well. Keep at it, fish hard and some day you will have a great day, either numbers or a big fish and that will boost your confidence again. I am 63 and have been fishing since I was 10 years old. Some days are good, some are great, some are bad but you just have to keep at it. You can do it, just have confidence in yourself and it will happen.

Thank you

Re: Back into Fishing [Re: billynjuls] #13917603 03/10/21 04:11 PM
T
Texbird Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Billy, like you I took a 5 year break from fishing. Not by choice, but had to help the now ex out of some tax issues. I counted it up, and I've fished a total of 7 times now since I had to sell the Ranger...3 of those days coming this past weekend. Unlike you though, I pretty much turned off the sport, because of the disappointment of having to part with the one hobby that I enjoyed so much. During that break, I got into weightlifting....then COVID hit and started shutting down the gyms. Once they re-opened, many had a mask policy that I just couldn't do. Now, I'm back into a new to me '20 Phoenix and trying to get back into the groove.
Am I struggling? Oh Lord yes, but just being out on the water, it reminds me why I was so addicted to this in the first place. It's my quiet time....my therapy if you will, from the long hours at work and dealing with life in general. I know that things will improve with more time on the water. I fished JCO on Fork on Sunday and at least I didn't come in last! Lol
I'm a few years older than you are, so I can relate to where you are experience wise. Don't question your abilities....time on the water cures a lot!

12.50 Lake Fork 3/22/19

Men and fish are alike, they both get into trouble when they open their mouths
Re: Back into Fishing [Re: Texbird] #13918069 03/10/21 10:02 PM
billynjuls Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by Texbird
Billy, like you I took a 5 year break from fishing. Not by choice, but had to help the now ex out of some tax issues. I counted it up, and I've fished a total of 7 times now since I had to sell the Ranger...3 of those days coming this past weekend. Unlike you though, I pretty much turned off the sport, because of the disappointment of having to part with the one hobby that I enjoyed so much. During that break, I got into weightlifting....then COVID hit and started shutting down the gyms. Once they re-opened, many had a mask policy that I just couldn't do. Now, I'm back into a new to me '20 Phoenix and trying to get back into the groove.
Am I struggling? Oh Lord yes, but just being out on the water, it reminds me why I was so addicted to this in the first place. It's my quiet time....my therapy if you will, from the long hours at work and dealing with life in general. I know that things will improve with more time on the water. I fished JCO on Fork on Sunday and at least I didn't come in last! Lol
I'm a few years older than you are, so I can relate to where you are experience wise. Don't question your abilities....time on the water cures a lot!

Thanks for that.

Re: Back into Fishing [Re: billynjuls] #13918127 03/10/21 11:01 PM
J
Jimfishes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Some really good advice from all these guys. I have enjoyed reading this thread because I too have not fished much since 2017 and at age 65, I'm trying to get out more and remember how I use to catch a few....it can be a struggle. I considered selling my boat last year but one trip and it all comes back to me....the time in the outdoors!

Re: Back into Fishing [Re: Jimfishes] #13918221 03/11/21 12:33 AM
billynjuls Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by Jimfishes
Some really good advice from all these guys. I have enjoyed reading this thread because I too have not fished much since 2017 and at age 65, I'm trying to get out more and remember how I use to catch a few....it can be a struggle. I considered selling my boat last year but one trip and it all comes back to me....the time in the outdoors!

thumb

Re: Back into Fishing [Re: billynjuls] #13918247 03/11/21 12:50 AM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
Just you and the fish. Leave all the stress behind. Just have confidence in yourself and it will happen. Just go fish.

Re: Back into Fishing [Re: billynjuls] #13918342 03/11/21 02:00 AM
Tiltman Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
EZ Bassin.. you are 63?!

I thought you were younger than me back in the day.

And all good posts , It’ll come around Billy hang in there

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide