S
Scagnetti Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted by Tsunami_1
Originally Posted by Scagnetti
Originally Posted by MrRoachie
I have heard that the EPA would not allow generating stations to run at 100% because of pollution..

Um.... EPA can suck it!!!!!

What percentage of the texas grid was not producing because of frozen windmills?

Windmills gotta go!!!!!!!

Just those 2 scenarios probably would have prevented this from happening.

But Austins 100MW biomass generator facility down in Sacul never ran. Piss poor planning!!!

The EPA story is a lie.

“The U.S. Energy Department, in response to an ERCOT request, issued an order late Monday authorizing power plants throughout the state to run at maximum output levels, even if it results in exceeding pollution limits.” ~ Houston Chronicle

Windmills are a reliable source of power in cold climate countries like Norway, Sweden and Denmark. The reason Texas had problems was the power providers, who own the windmills, refused to winterize them to save money. It was a disaster waiting to happen

You're probably right but would you agree to higher energy cost to offset these winterizing projects? Wonder how many actually would? Seems the last time this was an issue was 2011. Anyone here remember being effected due to loss of generation during that storm?

I’m with you, I’ll say that I wouldn’t have made the decision to winterize them. But we ALL make decisions in our personal and professional lives where it’s the roll of the dice and we HAVE to live with the consequences

ERCOT rolled snake eyes

[Linked Image]

Re: more on the ercot rip off [Re: Scagnetti] #13913567 03/07/21 01:31 AM
T
Tsunami_1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I have heard that the EPA would not allow generating stations to run at 100% because of pollution..

What percentage of the texas grid was not producing because of frozen windmills?

But Austins 100MW biomass generator facility down in Sacul never ran. Piss poor planning!!!

The EPA story is a lie.

“The U.S. Energy Department, in response to an ERCOT request, issued an order late Monday authorizing power plants throughout the state to run at maximum output levels, even if it results in exceeding pollution limits.” ~ Houston Chronicle

Windmills are a reliable source of power in cold climate countries like Norway, Sweden and Denmark. The reason Texas had problems was the power providers, who own the windmills, refused to winterize them to save money. It was a disaster waiting to happen

You're probably right but would you agree to higher energy cost to offset these winterizing projects? Wonder how many actually would? Seems the last time this was an issue was 2011. Anyone here remember being effected due to loss of generation during that storm?

I’m with you, I’ll say that I wouldn’t have made the decision to winterize them. But we ALL make decisions in our personal and professional lives where it’s the roll of the dice and we HAVE to live with the consequences

ERCOT rolled snake eyes

Yes they did. There was a plan but as things happened the plan went to...well you know.

Re: more on the ercot rip off [Re: fmrmbmlm] #13913756 03/07/21 07:10 AM
M
MrRoachie Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
Originally Posted by fmrmbmlm

Has it ever been operating?

Austins biomass plant? Yes, it has run before..

Used to run quite often after it was built and gas was expensive. When Trump got elected and gas was being given away it was not economical for Austin to pay for it to run, but still had the monthly contract.

Whoever runs it now and Austin didn't have any wood to burn(it takes 200+ semi loads per day to run) so there is that dilemma.

God loves you just as much as anybody else!!

Jesus offered His life as a gift for you. Please accept it!
Re: more on the ercot rip off [Re: Scagnetti] #13913824 03/07/21 12:58 PM
O
outfishdya Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
O

The EPA story is a lie.

We replaced 24000 mw in coal plants for 20000 mw in wind energy. On Sunday, less than 10 pct of the wind energy was online. ERCOT claims they would still have been short. The reliable coal was shutdown because of costs including those associated with the limits on pollution.

Woke up this morning
Got yourself a gun....
Re: more on the ercot rip off [Re: Tsunami_1] #13913846 03/07/21 01:22 PM
O
Oldrabbit Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
O
Originally Posted by TR176
How much does it cost to winterize a windmill?

Not the answer to your question but more of an explanation of why they are NOT winterized. Probably not the best place to invest your resources.
"The answer, in short, is that turbines in colder places are typically equipped with de-icing and other tools, such as built-in heating. In Texas, where the weather is almost never this cold, they usually are not."

This reminds me of the old FRAM Oil Filter commercial, "Pay me now, or Pay me later". Well we paid later and the problem is still there, they are not winterized. According to the long term SOLAR forecast we are looking at cooler temperatures for he next 20 +/- years do to the cooling of the sun. Looks like they will need to retrofit the wind turbines or replace then, that's kind of like paying double or triple.

Re: more on the ercot rip off [Re: hopalong] #13913858 03/07/21 01:34 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
Just put a windmill Snuggie on those suckers.
$19.99 plus shipping/handling.

[Linked Image]
Re: more on the ercot rip off [Re: hopalong] #13914004 03/07/21 04:21 PM
Mudshark Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
The lines are too long and hotdogs cost $15.00. It was great to see the excitement of the kids on our first trip, but the second time we went, the novelty had worn off before the forst day was half over. I’m glad we went just so we can say we have been there, but I won’t go back unless, sometime down the road we have grandkids who want to see it.

[Linked Image]

Re: more on the ercot rip off [Re: Mudshark] #13914049 03/07/21 04:42 PM
T
Tsunami_1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted by Mudshark
The lines are too long and hotdogs cost $15.00. It was great to see the excitement of the kids on our first trip, but the second time we went, the novelty had worn off before the forst day was half over. I’m glad we went just so we can say we have been there, but I won’t go back unless, sometime down the road we have grandkids who want to see it.

Are we still talking about ERCOT and the winter storm? I'm thinking ERCOT would welcome a complaint about bored kids and 15.00 hotdogs...change of pace you know.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide