Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Pellet Stoves Need your wisdom [Re: ReelSlow] #13896379 02/21/21 04:15 AM
L
Ledeez Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Originally Posted by ReelSlow
I looked back here a few days thinking someone must have started a discussion about them and found nada.

My daughter has a 1700 SF single story , heat pump that will keep her house about 60* when it is 15* out. There is no fireplace and she thinks a pellet stand alone would be something she would enjoy and add to the value of the house.

Her goal is to supplement the heat pump not rely on it for entire house.

She wants a Silverado not a BMW.

What do I need to know about them that makes or breaks the difference between OK and works really well?

No electricity= o pellet stove

Teamgetsome$$$
Re: Pellet Stoves Need your wisdom [Re: ReelSlow] #13896385 02/21/21 04:20 AM
L
Ledeez Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Go to csia.org to find your nearest certified chimney technician to help with options

Last edited by Ledeez; 02/21/21 04:21 AM.

Teamgetsome$$$
Re: Pellet Stoves Need your wisdom [Re: ReelSlow] #13896937 02/21/21 07:19 PM
W
wytex Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W

Re: Pellet Stoves Need your wisdom [Re: ReelSlow] #13897148 02/22/21 12:06 AM
R
ReelBusy Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
R

Re: Pellet Stoves Need your wisdom [Re: Ledeez] #13897275 02/22/21 01:40 AM
ReelSlow Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by Ledeez
I looked back here a few days thinking someone must have started a discussion about them and found nada.

My daughter has a 1700 SF single story , heat pump that will keep her house about 60* when it is 15* out. There is no fireplace and she thinks a pellet stand alone would be something she would enjoy and add to the value of the house.

Her goal is to supplement the heat pump not rely on it for entire house.

She wants a Silverado not a BMW.

What do I need to know about them that makes or breaks the difference between OK and works really well?

No electricity= o pellet stove

Not so

Battery backup.

GOD is good!
Re: Pellet Stoves Need your wisdom [Re: ReelSlow] #13897343 02/22/21 03:01 AM
Allison1 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
The only thing I would offer is that you use a single wall flue. A two or three layer will lower the temps on the outside of the flue but will rob the heat from the inside.

On which to get for me would center around access and cost to wood. It sounds like pellets in many cases is cheaper to operate.

Re: Pellet Stoves Need your wisdom [Re: Emit R Detsaw] #13897467 02/22/21 06:25 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by Emit R Detsaw
Originally Posted by hopalong
reelslow, one other thing is air circulation considerations. place it so that it can put air into hallways if possible, will make a big difference in how much of the house gets heat.

In addition to this, watch location of installation. Might make the rest of the house too cold if the pellet stove is close to where the heat pump thermostat is. We had that in one house we rented. We could be nice and toasty in the living room with the pellet stove going, but the rest of the house turned into an icebox because the thermostat was in the living room a few feet from the small pellet stove.

You didn't consider relocating the thermostat after the stove was installed? That's such an easy low-cost solution to such a problem.

Re: Pellet Stoves Need your wisdom [Re: ReelSlow] #13897468 02/22/21 06:35 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Good stuff

She lives in town, she isn't a Prepper, she just wants a pellet stove She is not interested in finding hauling or scouting for firewood. She is willing to bank on some type of power backup , (battery most likely) A week worth of battery power in Central Texas should be pretty safe as long as she practices good battery charging fundamentals. she is not mechanically inclined, running a generator and maintaining it is a no. She wants to add some ambiance to her living room, have backup heat in case of power failure, have supplemental heat all winter. She has a huge garage she can horde pellets for forever on.

So ..... she is going to buy a pellet burning stove and I am her EASY BOTTON, handle it Dad.

The battery power solution choice is what will fail her. She will have the stove and pellets, but no power. If she's not able to start up a small Honda inverter generator, or care to own one (which is extremely easy), it's unlikely a set of 12V batteries will be maintained at the ready and functional when really needed. They eventually die even when not used, so a regular test & replace program would need to be followed. The small generator needed weighs less than some gals' suitcase and is easily started. You can have 3 or 4 gallons of the "canned fuel" available to fuel it. (That stuff lasts for years.)

As a test, I just asked my wife her choice between the two. She's learned how to deploy our much larger generator and isn't intimidated by the process. She said she wouldn't like to have to take care of or hook up batteries.

Last edited by Flippin-Out; 02/22/21 06:43 AM.
Re: Pellet Stoves Need your wisdom [Re: Flippin-Out] #13897469 02/22/21 06:40 AM
E
Emit R Detsaw Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
E
Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
Originally Posted by Emit R Detsaw
Originally Posted by hopalong
reelslow, one other thing is air circulation considerations. place it so that it can put air into hallways if possible, will make a big difference in how much of the house gets heat.

In addition to this, watch location of installation. Might make the rest of the house too cold if the pellet stove is close to where the heat pump thermostat is. We had that in one house we rented. We could be nice and toasty in the living room with the pellet stove going, but the rest of the house turned into an icebox because the thermostat was in the living room a few feet from the small pellet stove.

You didn't consider relocating the thermostat after the stove was installed? That's such an easy low-cost solution to such a problem.

As I stated, it was a house we were RENTING!

May you be treated the way you treat other people, today and everyday!

Re: Pellet Stoves Need your wisdom [Re: Emit R Detsaw] #13897470 02/22/21 06:44 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
I took that as you were renting it to others. Now I get that rented it from someone else.

Re: Pellet Stoves Need your wisdom [Re: Flippin-Out] #13897471 02/22/21 06:48 AM
E
Emit R Detsaw Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
E
Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
I took that as you were renting it to others. Now I get that rented it from someone else.

LOL - I would never be a slum lord. That house was, um, unique. The water heater was under the stairs, boxed in, behind the refrigerator in the kitchen. It blow as we were moving out. What a hot steamy mess. We didn't know where all the hot water was coming from.

May you be treated the way you treat other people, today and everyday!

Re: Pellet Stoves Need your wisdom [Re: Allison1] #13897746 02/22/21 04:02 PM
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
Bottom line. I am going to do whatever I need to do to make my little girl happy. She wants what she wants and she is aware of all the scenarios and what if this and what if thats. My job is to get her a pellet stove, battery backup system, installation.

I need to figure out the right one.

Looks
Affordability
Efficiency
Safety

Battery Backup system. She is a stickler for routine and detail, so keeping up with a couple batteries and a way to be sure they are charged and still work is no issue. Guys, we all maintain 3 or 4 batteries on our boats and deer feeders , phones, everything now days has batteries and chargers and back up batteries Geez , you guys are thinking a battery backup system is some out there crazy way to turn a little bitty screw that peddles little pellets thru a fire box is going to be hard to prepare for? It wont need to work but a week. If it quits working she has family friends neighbors and good old Country girl willpower and common sense to get her by. I'm not talking end of the world days.

GOD is good!
Re: Pellet Stoves Need your wisdom [Re: ReelSlow] #13897776 02/22/21 04:23 PM
D
DarrellSimpson Offline
Angler
Angler
D
We had a pretty nice upper end pellet stove in Washington State .Learned to keep a small wet dry vac handy with a real fine filter in it to clean out the ash . We ended up removing it and putting in a Vermont casting direct vent free standing gas stove . It was super quiet and didn't have to have a fan running just to operate . I will never have another pellet stove after having the free standing gas stove operating off a thermostat .

Re: Pellet Stoves Need your wisdom [Re: DarrellSimpson] #13898394 02/23/21 01:10 AM
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted by DarrellSimpson
We had a pretty nice upper end pellet stove in Washington State .Learned to keep a small wet dry vac handy with a real fine filter in it to clean out the ash . We ended up removing it and putting in a Vermont casting direct vent free standing gas stove . It was super quiet and didn't have to have a fan running just to operate . I will never have another pellet stove after having the free standing gas stove operating off a thermostat .

What was the gas source? Propane bottles plumed into the house? Her house is all electric.

GOD is good!
Re: Pellet Stoves Need your wisdom [Re: ReelSlow] #13898398 02/23/21 01:16 AM
hopalong Offline
Pescador Loco
Pescador Loco
reel, just google pellet wood stove and start shopping. get her what she wants as she sounds like she is not helpless.
do your research and go for it.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide