Forums59
Topics1,039,306
Posts13,962,624
Members144,199
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: How do you people route extension cords into your house from a generator? [Re: Mudshark] #13895503 02/20/21 04:06 PM
R
rtfishn Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I run mine thru the dryer vent.

Re: How do you people route extension cords into your house from a generator? [Re: elkhunter7x6] #13895518 02/20/21 04:19 PM
K
kennerdude Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
K
Originally Posted by elkhunter7x6
I installed a 30amp dryer plug outside that I plug the generator into and back feed the house thru it. Be sure and turn your main breaker off while back feeding from generator

I’m curious, what breaker do you actually have it wired to in your main panel?

NIL CARBORUNDUM
Re: How do you people route extension cords into your house from a generator? [Re: kennerdude] #13895539 02/20/21 04:36 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by kennerdude
Originally Posted by elkhunter7x6
I installed a 30amp dryer plug outside that I plug the generator into and back feed the house thru it. Be sure and turn your main breaker off while back feeding from generator

I’m curious, what breaker do you actually have it wired to in your main panel?

Kennerdude, this implementation is the "suicide cord" Jperdue mentioned. With elkhunter using a receptacle on the wall (where "receptacle" means a female connector) the cord will necessarily have a male plug. The other end is male as well (as it plugs into the generator). With either end of that plugged in, it's possible that the other end will be energized and can kill you. This is a very dangerous way to go; countless people have been killed by it.

With a proper power inlet on the wall (where that power inlet is a plug (male), the cord can be female on the "house" end, removing the danger from it. The wiring from the power inlet would route to a breaker in the distribution panel that is disabled by the generator interlock. The generator interlock prevents that breaker from being turned on unless the main breaker of the distribution box is turned OFF. Turning off that main breaker insures that the generator will not backfeed power to the power company wiring. Without the interlock, if the main breaker is on, power company linemen can be killed, and your generator will likely be fried.

As for what breaker elkhunter is using - there's no specific answer. If he's using a 120V only generator, he can't power both 120V legs unless he adds a jumper. If he's using a 240V capable generator, the breaker needs to be in any breaker position that allows access to both legs of the system. If you look at any panel with the breakers removed, you can see which breaker positions support connection to both 120V legs, and which support connection to only one. The most efficient solution is one using a 240V generator and a breaker in a 240V position. The 240V breaker feeds 120V to both legs of the distribution box in addition to 240V items to insure you have the option to energize anything in your home (but not all at once!).

Re: How do you people route extension cords into your house from a generator? [Re: Flippin-Out] #13895562 02/20/21 04:47 PM
K
kennerdude Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
K
Thank you. I’m going to use the interlock system. We don’t need everything in the house energized but, I think for us that would be the best option For the items that we would need.

NIL CARBORUNDUM
Re: How do you people route extension cords into your house from a generator? [Re: Mudshark] #13895566 02/20/21 04:49 PM
J
Jpurdue Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
I am in no way shape or form an expert on electricity. I got a C- in my Electrical Engineering course (EE201). This is a completely honest questions. Here's how I did it. Please let me know where the hazards lie, and if you are going to use a suicide cord how I could have done it more safely.

Step 1. Shut off the main breaker.
Step 2. Use a volt meter to confirm power has been shut off to the panel.
Step 3. Shut off all the breakers in the box.
Step 4. Hook 1 of the male ends of the suicide cord into the outlet nearest the panel.
Step 5. Hook the other end of the dead suicide cord into the generator.
Step 6. Fire up the generator.
Step 7. Flip on breakers as needed to supply power to the areas of the house you need it. (As you mention, you are screwed on one the legs unless you add a jumper.) I never did that.

So anyway. We all agree suicide cords are a bad idea. That said, if you are going to do one, did I do it in the safest way possible here?

I absolutely plant to get a full house generator and I plan to have it professionally installed. I hope to have it in place before hurricane season.

"Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley." -A.L.

www.LunkerLore.com

Re: How do you people route extension cords into your house from a generator? [Re: Mudshark] #13895580 02/20/21 04:59 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
The Interlock will determine which breaker position you'll need to use based on the mechanical arrangement of your distribution panel. That will be shown in the instructions for the Interlock for your particular panel. Because it will be using a 240V position, you'll be able to have the option to turn on any item as needed as long as your generator supports the load.

Just because you are wiring into "everything" doesn't mean you must automatically have a large generator. That sizing depends on what you intend to run on it successfully. Even a home with a 200A service may be consuming less that 1/4th of that at any given moment - it all depends on what's running simultaneously. In my case, if I switch to generator power, the only breakers I bother to turn off are the air conditioning condenser units. The big things you can't run on most consumer owned generators are AC condensers, electric dryers, and electric ovens.

Re: How do you people route extension cords into your house from a generator? [Re: Jpurdue] #13895594 02/20/21 05:05 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by Jpurdue
I am in no way shape or form an expert on electricity. I got a C- in my Electrical Engineering course (EE201). This is a completely honest questions. Here's how I did it. Please let me know where the hazards lie, and if you are going to use a suicide cord how I could have done it more safely.

Step 1. Shut off the main breaker.
Step 2. Use a volt meter to confirm power has been shut off to the panel.
Step 3. Shut off all the breakers in the box.
Step 4. Hook 1 of the male ends of the suicide cord into the outlet nearest the panel.
Step 5. Hook the other end of the dead suicide cord into the generator.
Step 6. Fire up the generator.
Step 7. Flip on breakers as needed to supply power to the areas of the house you need it. (As you mention, you are screwed on one the legs unless you add a jumper.) I never did that.

So anyway. We all agree suicide cords are a bad idea. That said, if you are going to do one, did I do it in the safest way possible here?

I absolutely plant to get a full house generator and I plan to have it professionally installed. I hope to have it in place before hurricane season.

Yes, you did it correctly. To safely exit generator mode, do the steps in reverse. (It's best not to be running loads when the generator shuts down as the power gets rather nasty and could harm one or more devices.)
I might add that the generator should be shut down to refuel. (Be sure to check the oil level also!)
Never start a generator with a load. This can be bad for both the load and the generator. This is good for safety, and for not frying things you don't want to fry.

Re: How do you people route extension cords into your house from a generator? [Re: Mudshark] #13895611 02/20/21 05:14 PM
hopalong Offline
Pescador Loco
Pescador Loco
guys, enough on the suicide cords, here is your simple and inexpensive answer. wire this to a wall mounted 4 way for extension cords or have an electrician wire it to a switch panel to your breaker box. less than 100 smackers to install and wire to a wall 4 way yourself, use some 10 ga. from plug to 4 way.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Power-Inlets/Epicord/277-000138.html

[Linked Image]

Re: How do you people route extension cords into your house from a generator? [Re: Mudshark] #13895612 02/20/21 05:15 PM
hopalong Offline
Pescador Loco
Pescador Loco
that plug mounts on exterior and the 10ga. passes thru the wall. not a hard install at all to a 4 way.

you can buy a 25' 30a cord at wal mart in the rv section, have had one on my trailer for 15 or more yrs. now.

just be sure the plugs will match the exterior wall plug you buy, etrailer has all types but twist lock is best

[Linked Image]

Last edited by hopalong; 02/20/21 05:18 PM.
Re: How do you people route extension cords into your house from a generator? [Re: hopalong] #13895617 02/20/21 05:19 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted by hopalong
that plug mounts on exterior and the 10ga. passes thru the wall. not a hard install at all to a 4 way.

you can buy a 25' 30a cord at wal mart in the rv section, have had one on my trailer for 15 or more yrs. now.

just be sure the plugs will match the exterior wall plug you buy, etrailer has all types but twist lock is best

[Linked Image]

Can I use that 10 ga. for quail hunting if I plug it? What shot do you recommend?

Re: How do you people route extension cords into your house from a generator? [Re: hopalong] #13895629 02/20/21 05:26 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
guys, enough on the suicide cords, here is your simple and inexpensive answer. wire this to a wall mounted 4 way for extension cords or have an electrician wire it to a switch panel to your breaker box. less than 100 smackers to install and wire to a wall 4 way yourself, use some 10 ga. from plug to 4 way.

[Linked Image]

hop, you made it worse!
You're correct there is no suicide cord. But, unless there is some type of safety interlock or lockout, that male plug could be energized while the power company grid is energizing the box. If that's the case, any curious person who walks by, lifts the flap, and touches a lug better hope he doesn't touch a hot leg. I wouldn't want to be "that" homeowner.
No licensed electrician will be willing to install that without a safety interlock or transfer switch installation also - and for very good reasons. No homeower should EVER do this without doing the same. That plug wired to a home's electrical system without proper precautions has the potential to kill - 24/7.

Re: How do you people route extension cords into your house from a generator? [Re: Flippin-Out] #13895696 02/20/21 06:22 PM
hopalong Offline
Pescador Loco
Pescador Loco
Originally Posted by Flippin-Out

[Linked Image]

hop, you made it worse!
You're correct there is no suicide cord. But, unless there is some type of safety interlock or lockout, that male plug could be energized while the power company grid is energizing the box. If that's the case, any curious person who walks by, lifts the flap, and touches a lug better hope he doesn't touch a hot leg. I wouldn't want to be "that" homeowner.
No licensed electrician will be willing to install that without a safety interlock or transfer switch installation also - and for very good reasons. No homeower should EVER do this without doing the same. That plug wired to a home's electrical system without proper precautions has the potential to kill - 24/7.

IT IS NOT ATTACHED TO THE GRID, reread my post, I said to a 4 way box inside for extension cords or have an electrician wire in a interlock box to your breakers.

Re: How do you people route extension cords into your house from a generator? [Re: hopalong] #13895720 02/20/21 06:34 PM
E
Emit R Detsaw Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
E
IT IS NOT ATTACHED TO THE GRID, reread my post, I said to a 4 way box inside for extension cords or have an electrician wire in a interlock box to your breakers.

Which is like the kit I posted on page one of this thread that mudshark didn't like. It has the plug to hook the generator to outside, has a thru the wall to 6 outlets on the inside of the house to connect your extension cords to. It was really easy to install. Just made the wife nervous when I was drilling a the hole in the wall to the outside.

May you be treated the way you treat other people, today and everyday!

Re: How do you people route extension cords into your house from a generator? [Re: Emit R Detsaw] #13895766 02/20/21 07:23 PM
hopalong Offline
Pescador Loco
Pescador Loco
Originally Posted by Emit R Detsaw

Which is like the kit I posted on page one of this thread that mudshark didn't like. It has the plug to hook the generator to outside, has a thru the wall to 6 outlets on the inside of the house to connect your extension cords to. It was really easy to install. Just made the wife nervous when I was drilling a the hole in the wall to the outside.

first off, it's amazon cheeenese junk, next is the first time that 6 way gets overloaded it will probably melt before the breaker on the genset trips, I will bet the thru wall wire is not enough to carry more than 10-15 amps max and 3 electric heaters could possibly overload the circuit but not trip the breaker.

hope it works for ya but I would not recommend it due to all the electrical I used to order from amazon turned out to be poorly built.

Re: How do you people route extension cords into your house from a generator? [Re: hopalong] #13895784 02/20/21 07:36 PM
E
Emit R Detsaw Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
E
Originally Posted by Emit R Detsaw

first off, it's amazon cheeenese junk, next is the first time that 6 way gets overloaded it will probably melt before the breaker on the genset trips, I will bet the thru wall wire is not enough to carry more than 10-15 amps max and 3 electric heaters could possibly overload the circuit but not trip the breaker.

hope it works for ya but I would not recommend it due to all the electrical I used to order from amazon turned out to be poorly built.

You can get the same thing in many ACE Hardware, Home Depots, or Lowes. It was just cheaper from Amazon when I got mine a couple years back.

Edit to add other links to the kit:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Relianc...r-Through-the-Wall-Kit-WKPBN30/307438017
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reliance-30-Amp-6-Space-Generator-Power-Inlet-Box/1000675661

Last edited by Emit R Detsaw; 02/20/21 07:38 PM.

May you be treated the way you treat other people, today and everyday!

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide